The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What did your mother's make you for breakfast?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46
mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 6:35 PM (permalink)

I hated scrambled eggs which would have been the easiest.

I didn't like the whites in eggs so fried were out.

Somehow the white in hard boiled eggs didn't bother me so my mother boiled an egg, cut it in 4 and put it on a piece of toast.  Probably with ketchup, but I've blocked out that part.

Cereal was always...

Cold....  Cherios, Shredded Wheat, Grape Nuts and Rice Krispies.  When the Chocolate Rice Krispies came out she actually bought them.

Hot...  Only Malto Meal.  I HATED it because she made it with bumps.  I don't like bumps!

She never made oatmeal because she hated it.  I now love oatmeal, probably because of my mother.

I was a picky eater.

When she got a blender, breakfast became a chocolate shake and I just know she tossed in a raw egg.   Ick.

I've learned to eat since then.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
    Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 6:45 PM (permalink)
    When dad still lived with us, I would get up in the morning with him and have breakfast, which was always oatmeal (never quick oats, always the real kind) with brown sugar, raisins and milk.

After he left, mom would often do scrambled eggs, which I had to eat with ketchup. Or cereal (usually Life, Alpha Bits, or Rice Crispies, but sometimes I'd get to have Count Chocola, Frankenberry or Booberry). Occasionally she'd do fried eggs with toast to dip in the yolks, or very rarely boiled eggs.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9556
      Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 7:21 PM (permalink)
      Usually not much. Just cold cereal mostly.
      Now, Breakfast is my favorite meal.
      <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 08/7/12 7:23 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17835
        Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 8:05 PM (permalink)
        That's hysterical! My mother? Breakfast?

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
          Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 8:06 PM (permalink)
          oatmeal, which wasn't the 5-minute kind like today

cinnamon toast - on white bread, in the broiler, I remember crispy on top, the white underneath part kind of soft

waffles - using a really heavy waffle iron, but not very often

SUZYQICU

• Total Posts: 28
            Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 8:09 PM (permalink)
            Cornmeal mush, rice and raisins, and eggs in a boat......breakfast was always good.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
              Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 9:38 PM (permalink)
              Once in a while she would make oatmeal. I was usually on my own for cold cereal...mostly cheerios and raisin bran.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 11:13 PM (permalink)
                I'm with Michael Hoffman..............I cannot reacall ANY breakfasts that I didn't make myself.....usually toast, OJ and maybe some bacon.  Cereals in those silly boxes you could open and pour milk into........only tried that once!...after that always used a bowl.
                Potatoes?....that was for dinner!

In 62 years of tormenting this earth with my prescence, the only time I saw Oatmeal was once in a ski lodge at about age 13....no WAY I was gonna eat the goop!  ( I used other language back then)

I Do remember the very occaisonal treat of Cinnamon bread........or white bread with butter and cinnamon sugar sprinkled on

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                  Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Tue, 08/7/12 11:22 PM (permalink)
                  One thing I remember that was special was the way she prepared Nabisco Shredded Wheat for me (yes, it was Nabisco then).  In fact, anyone who thinks shredded wheat biscuits are dry and somewhat tasteless, should try this:

Warm milk in a pan.  Soak the shredded wheat biscuit(s) in the warm milk until they are completely softened.  Carefully lift each of them out in one piece, draining them slightly, and place in a skillet where you have melted some butter.  Gently fry them, carefully turning them over to lightly brown both sides.  Place in a bowl, add sugar and pour the left-over warm milk over them.  Enjoy!  Until you try it, you won't believe how much flavor the shredded wheat has when prepared this way.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9556
                    Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 4:10 AM (permalink)
                    6star

One thing I remember that was special was the way she prepared Nabisco Shredded Wheat for me (yes, it was Nabisco then).  In fact, anyone who thinks shredded wheat biscuits are dry and somewhat tasteless, should try this:

Warm milk in a pan.  Soak the shredded wheat biscuit(s) in the warm milk until they are completely softened.  Carefully lift each of them out in one piece, draining them slightly, and place in a skillet where you have melted some butter.  Gently fry them, carefully turning them over to lightly brown both sides.  Place in a bowl, add sugar and pour the left-over warm milk over them.  Enjoy!  Until you try it, you won't believe how much flavor the shredded wheat has when prepared this way.

My question is---- What made her think of doing it that way in the first place???????

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                      Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 8:25 AM (permalink)
                      Malt-o Meal with milk and brown sugar. Old fashioned oatmeal. Mom always made toast with everything. She also made waffles with her waffle iron.Dad was the egg maker...soft boiled eggs, corned beef hash with an egg cooked on top..Mom also made a decent roast beef hash the day after a pot roast dinner.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                        Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 10:13 AM (permalink)
                        I don't remember my mother making breakfast either, though I'm sure she did a few times. I mostly remember just eating cereal or making myself scrambled eggs (which I'm now allergic to) and cinnamon toast.
                        When staying with my grandparents, my grandfather always made pancakes in animal shapes, sausage, toast, and scrambled eggs. One of my favorites he'd make was a fried egg in a hollowed out slice of bread, for some reason I can't remember what he called it ("toast in a hole" maybe, a play on "toad in the hole"). We also got used to cottage cheese on toast, that my grandmother would eat with a hot cup of Brim or Sanka.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                          Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 10:24 AM (permalink)
                          Foodbme

6star

My question is---- What made her think of doing it that way in the first place???????

I really have no idea, though she was a very creative cook, as were many ladies in those days (70 years ago).  Her mother, who I never knew, was also described as being a really good cook, catering fancy parties in the small town where they lived, so maybe she learned it from her.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                            Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 11:12 AM (permalink)
                            SeamusD

When staying with my grandparents, my grandfather always made pancakes in animal shapes, sausage, toast, and scrambled eggs. One of my favorites he'd make was a fried egg in a hollowed out slice of bread, for some reason I can't remember what he called it ("toast in a hole" maybe, a play on "toad in the hole").
                            When I was growing up it was "egg in a toast" and one of my favorites.  I still make it every so often but I've gone beyond the bounds of white bread and Fleischmann's margarine...she must still have a few thousand of those little plastic tubs in the cupboard.
                            <message edited by ScreamingChicken on Wed, 08/8/12 11:13 AM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                              Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 12:39 PM (permalink)
                              Nabisco Shredded Wheat and Quaker Puffed Wheat (both from the 50's) a lot because I loved the prizes and how the boxes came so they could be made into little scenes like a circus or a finger puppet show. Bacon and toast, sausage patties, oatmeal and I actually liked and still liked the old traditional SOS only my current translation is more of a creamy cheese sauce with chipped beef over toast.

mar52

Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 12:57 PM (permalink)
                                Cottage cheese on toast!  I had forgotten about that one... topped with cinnamon and sugar.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
                                  Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 1:14 PM (permalink)
                                  Nothing at all.  My mother did not like breakfast so she never cooked any for me.  My favorite breakfast was at my grandparent's house.  My grandfather would make percolator coffee, it walked out of the pot it was so strong.  And we would have "blue cheese and coffee" which was really gorgonzola, a cup of  coffee and a slice of his homemade bread.  We'd dunk the bread into the coffee, take a bite of cheese, bite of bread and a sip of coffee.  We thought we were in heaven.

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                                    Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                    Seven days a week, my mother served us a breakfast of bacon, ham, sausage, or squirrel, along with a big platter of fried eggs, fried potatoes, made-from-scratch biscuits, gravy, homemade jam and apple butter, and glasses of whole or butter milk.  In the summer time, she added sliced tomatoes from the garden.  Sometimes, she even added pancakes. Sometimes, she'd take leftover mashed potatoes from the night before and make potato cakes.  We were poor, but my father always wanted everyone to leave the table satisfied.  To him, if a bowl was empty, it meant that someone could have eaten more.  And nothing went in the garbage because leftovers were used and if we put it on our plate, we were expected to eat it, all of it.

At 64, I'm the youngest of six kids, none of whom suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity or any other malady connected with that kind of diet.  My father died at 90 and my mother still gets around pretty good at 94.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                                      Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                      6star

Although I did not and still don't like it that way, I thought it was pretty commen. I believe it was even on the box. I have heard that it's a Canadian thing.

mar52

Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 2:32 PM (permalink)
                                        jman.... 

At 64, I'm the youngest of six kids, none of whom suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity or any other malady connected with that kind of diet.  My father died at 90 and my mother still gets around pretty good at 94.

must be the tomatoes.

mar52

Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 2:33 PM (permalink)
                                          Wen staying with my grandparents my grandmother would go out to the coop and get a fresh egg.

Soft boiled broken up with a spoon over torn toast.  The best breakfast ever.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17835
                                            Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 2:51 PM (permalink)
                                            My grandmother would make eggs scrambled with chopped onions for my breakfast, and she'd pult some sliced tomatoes on the plate with the eggs. My grandfather, on the other hand, would go out and get bagels, lox, cream cheese and smoked whitefish to bring home for breakfast.

I loved my grandmother, but I liked my grandfther's idea of breakfast better. 

mar52

Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 2:57 PM (permalink)
                                              Your grandfather's breakfast is the same one my grandfather delivered and shared with us every Sunday morning.

Okay, I admit it...  it ties with my grandmother's.

iluvcfood

• Total Posts: 395
                                                Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                As much as I love to eat........  food in the morning holds absolutely NO appeal to me!
                                                As to eggs............  I love eggs especially hard boiled or Deviled.  NO, absolutely NO soft boiled tho!  Gagggggggggg
                                                BTW.......... Mar.........  did you feel any quake this morning in your area?   I just read about it and supposedly it was up around where you live.  Felt nothing here tho!

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
                                                  Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  My Mom was like jman's,  she made breakfast.  Grits, eggs, toast with sausage, ham or bacon; some tims fried spam or baloney (guess we were on a tight budget). Breakfast did include cerials with milk, pancakes or french toast.   ... Guess I did have it pretty good in the mornings.

mar52

• Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                    Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    Greg, it was strange...  Sharon felt it and I didn't.  She sits facing North and I sit facing East in the same room.  Her monitor and the hanging lamp were moving, but nothing on my rock solid oak desk moved.

It was in Yorba Linda which according to the USGS website is 38 miles from us.

Another thing to do with Shredded Wheat is to top it with butter and Parmesan Cheese and bake it a bit.  Stinky good but not for breakfast.

Lisa, I like the idea of Blue Cheese and coffee for breakfast.  Stilton for me with apple or pear slices.  I could eat it anytime of the day.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3296
                                                      • Location: Near Grand Rapids, MI
                                                      Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 7:52 PM (permalink)
                                                      FriedClamFanatic

Cereals in those silly boxes you could open and pour milk into........only tried that once!...after that always used a bowl.

Those were a special treat when we went camping, or on our epic road trip vacations  We always thought they were the best, because it was the only time we ever got frivolous kid cereals like Froot Loops.

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                                        • Location: Westfield, NJ
                                                        Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Wed, 08/8/12 11:53 PM (permalink)
                                                        Either scrambled eggs and bacon, served in a little frying pan, echoing my Dad's bigger portion in a big frying pan, or farina. 

The Bear

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                                          Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Thu, 08/9/12 12:06 AM (permalink)
                                                          Precisely. 

Michael Hoffman

That's hysterical! My mother? Breakfast?

totillie

• Total Posts: 71
                                                            • Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
                                                            Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? Thu, 08/9/12 1:16 AM (permalink)
                                                            My mom will deny to her dying day that that she didn't fix breakfast for us, but the truth is that once I hit junior high and my brother was in late grade school, my dad did breakfast duty pretty much 5x/week, before zipping off to catch his train into Boston. Biscuits [Bisquick variety, dropped], scrambled eggs and toast, pancakes [also Bisquick variety, but WTH, it was the 60's] once in a while. We did not go hungry. Weekends were mother and eggs and bacon and toast. Or waffles. Waffles were special.

Mar, I work in a building on the Hollywood/Burbank border, just west of Forest Lawn. We actually felt an aftershock this morning. First one I've felt in several years. We got nothing from the actual quakes Tuesday night in Ventura County.

We're due. We're all really due. aaa

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 46

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com