What did your mother's make you for breakfast?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7845
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/09 01:28:16 (permalink)
Totillie, I didn't feel this morning's either.  Definitely due.  Not looking forward to it.  I lost a third of my store's merchandise in the Northridge Quake.  Would have been seriously hurt had I been inside when it occurred.

carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/10 19:50:35 (permalink)
One thing my mother made me for breakfast was Maypo.  I think it was an oatmeal concoction but I don't really remember, and don't think it's been available for many years.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/10 19:53:57 (permalink)
I wanted Maypo but only got lumpy Malto Meal.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 373
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/10 20:37:34 (permalink)
Depends on the day. Lots of school mornings it might have been fresh made oatmeal with butter, sugar and milk. Maybe cold cereal and toast. Then, when we had the time, it might be bacon, eggs and biscuits and gravy. Bacon gravy was a staple. One of the first things I ever learned to cook. Biscuits were often canned, on week days, but no-one seemed to mind too much. When it came along, I was always fond of the original Carnation Instant Breakfast drink. Loved the chocolate malt!
edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2087
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/10 21:14:11 (permalink)
Maypo ... never heard of it, so I did a search

.... ...
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/10 23:24:16 (permalink)
I think those shakes my mother made were Instant Breakfast... with that raw egg.

I see why my mother wouldn't buy Maypo... it's the oatmeal thing.

There were some weekend mornings when my mother made waffles and not the Eggo kind.  I still have a love for homemade waffles.
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/13 09:02:05 (permalink)
My Mom made me everything and anything including leftover spaghetti, hotdogs, hamburgers or the usual breakfast items. She believed you couldn't be at your best without breakfast. I raised my kids the same way.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/13 11:44:04 (permalink)
For years, my mom got up at 4 and went to work in a great small diner in my home town---"Jean's" in Millis Ma---so--for yrs i would get up-dress and stop there on the way to school--she gave me what i was going to eat--no need to look at the menu--but it ran the gamut--from eggs and bacon with toast, or pancakes,to huge wonderful,still oven-warm muffins and hot chocolate!!!!(AWESOME on a cold winter am!!!) and everything on a New England breakfast menu----including fish cakes and beans--whatever they had no shortage of that morning! :) When she stopped working there---i was gone of to a diner and work before she got up!

post edited by tiki - 2012/08/13 11:46:32
love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1380
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/19 12:11:06 (permalink)
Cinnamon toast, crispy fried French toast, graham crackers broken up with milk.  On weekends, I liked getting a fried matzo, which she always made for my dad, who was Jewish.  However, coming from a mixed marriage, I also had bacon with it.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/19 13:10:32 (permalink)
Mamaw Smith is 91 and her hearing is a issue and so is her sight but she still gets around just fine with some assistance.  She use to cook all the time and made some very special things but anymore, I tend to avoid her special things.  She does not use a recipe for anything and that is fine but the variation of her special things tend to be too variable.

I employed my cleaning ladies to clean her house out of self defense as Mamaw cannot see some of the issues in her kitchen and the hygiene became a issue for me and probably that was one of the things that made me avoid her cooking now.

Her famous rolls, country fried steak, biscuits and gravy, baked goods are mostly just a memory now.  Incidentally, she resides next door.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 630
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/21 04:40:36 (permalink)
I ate a lot of Cream Of Wheat before school, but I loved it. My mom made just about everything once in awhile to change things up. Five kids and we never went hungry.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/25 19:24:58 (permalink)
My mother had a love affair with Spam. An affair so grand, that I will not eat it now. Spam & eggs. Spam, eggs & cheese on an English muffin that had been buttered. Spam-fried rice. Spam cutlets (she would slice it up & fry the slices. No, I am not making this up!).

The other thing she loved to make, I cannot stand. Coco Wheats. I don't know how it's supposed to taste, but I either burned my tongue or she poured cold milk on it so it would cool off, also making it congeal in that process.

Cinnamon toast, puffed rice, peanut butter toast, puffed wheat, oatmeal, shredded wheat (those big biscuits) french toast, Cheerios, pancakes, snausages. She tried, I'm just not a morning person and as a result don't really eat breakfast.

baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 758
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/27 23:02:01 (permalink)
I've looked at this thread several times and have tried to remember - perhaps I'm blocking out my childhood breakfasts because I can't remember but three of them - sometimes on the weekends my mom made waffles on one of those old fashioned waffle irons.  Later in my teens there was Sugar Frosted Flakes.  My grandmother made some of the lightest fluffiest biscuits and served them with butter and Karo syrup.

These days I won't touch waffles or any kind of cereal - I still love biscuits but either plain or with sausage gravy.

After I got out on my own and my mom remarried when I went back to visit she made some fantastic breakfasts - crispy baked bacon, eggs to order, homemade hashbrowns and toast with real butter.  That's the kind of breakfast I like to have now - but it only happens about once a month.

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1380
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/08/28 22:01:57 (permalink)
jman

Seven days a week, my mother served us a breakfast of bacon, ham, sausage, or squirrel, along with a big platter of fried eggs, fried potatoes, made-from-scratch biscuits, gravy, homemade jam and apple butter, and glasses of whole or butter milk.  In the summer time, she added sliced tomatoes from the garden.  Sometimes, she even added pancakes. Sometimes, she'd take leftover mashed potatoes from the night before and make potato cakes.  We were poor, but my father always wanted everyone to leave the table satisfied.  To him, if a bowl was empty, it meant that someone could have eaten more.  And nothing went in the garbage because leftovers were used and if we put it on our plate, we were expected to eat it, all of it.

At 64, I'm the youngest of six kids, none of whom suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity or any other malady connected with that kind of diet.  My father died at 90 and my mother still gets around pretty good at 94.

jman:  Squirrel!??!  Wow.  What did you think of it? 
josefinajoisey
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/09/05 20:50:11 (permalink)
Mostly it was Rice Krispies, Cheerios. Thomas's English Muffins. And don't forget the cinnamon iced Pop Tarts. Listening to Gene Klavan on WNEW-AM. Then I'd go to school and 'crash' by 10am.

As an adult, I love to make omlettes, home fries, and bagels with crazy flavored cream cheeses!
jman
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re:What did your mother's make you for breakfast? 2012/09/05 21:23:00 (permalink)
love2bake

jman

Seven days a week, my mother served us a breakfast of bacon, ham, sausage, or squirrel, along with a big platter of fried eggs, fried potatoes, made-from-scratch biscuits, gravy, homemade jam and apple butter, and glasses of whole or butter milk.  In the summer time, she added sliced tomatoes from the garden.  Sometimes, she even added pancakes. Sometimes, she'd take leftover mashed potatoes from the night before and make potato cakes.  We were poor, but my father always wanted everyone to leave the table satisfied.  To him, if a bowl was empty, it meant that someone could have eaten more.  And nothing went in the garbage because leftovers were used and if we put it on our plate, we were expected to eat it, all of it.

At 64, I'm the youngest of six kids, none of whom suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity or any other malady connected with that kind of diet.  My father died at 90 and my mother still gets around pretty good at 94.

jman:  Squirrel!??!  Wow.  What did you think of it? 

Pretty darn good.  I wouldn't hesitate to eat it now, but it's probably been forty years since I've had it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1