What do YOU think?

OK fellow roadfooders...

Time for IRC for us?

What do YOU think?

14 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 10:16:50 (permalink)
    im up for it. MIRC is a killer program that works well and is easy to master---but it takes a dedicated crew of moderators---easy to set up in any number of ways---members only,open to all whatever you want.Id love the opportunity to "real time chat" with all y'all!
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 10:32:14 (permalink)
    First of all you might want to inform people as to what IRC is.

http://www.mirc.com/irc.html

Cakes
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 11:31:40 (permalink)
    My wife is always telling me it dosen't matter what I think.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 11:57:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

is she related to my wife!!!or maybe they had the same teachers!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 12:02:19 (permalink)
    for those of you that dont know---irc is internet relay chat---or-the "notorius" "Chat rooms"----basically its like a big party line where we can all hang out together in different places at the same time. Mirc is the most familar program for doing this---there is another,compatible program-whose name eludes me-for Mac users.
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 12:06:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

for those of you that dont know---irc is internet relay chat---or-the "notorius" "Chat rooms"----basically its like a big party line where we can all hang out together in different places at the same time. Mirc is the most familar program for doing this---there is another,compatible program-whose name eludes me-for Mac users.

Every chat room that I thought would be fun or interesting has been filled with people who ruin it with the subject matter that they have chosen to chat about, rather than the purpose of the chat room. They seem to be filled with people who want to shock and insult others.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15285
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 14:19:39 (permalink)
    I am not a fan of the chat format. It tends to be too multi-faceted and moves along too fast for my thinking anf typing skills. I usually wind up responding to a comment made at least 20 lines above the point where I hit the enter key. And i make enough errors now, even with the time to proofread, the chat typing would for my contributions be illegible!
    Y'all go ahead if you wish, just don't plan on much input from the Mayor.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 14:34:30 (permalink)
    I say too much as it is...
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 15:00:43 (permalink)
    quote:

Right. My wife's favorite line is, "If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!"
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 15:45:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

Right. My wife's favorite line is, "If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you!"

i know that line!!!--like the new sign in the office here---"Do you want to talk to the man in charge.......or the women who knows what really going on"
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 15:46:49 (permalink)
    I agree with Mr Mayor & Chezkatie on this. I like the fact that there is a time delay. I can't keep the board up all the time so I would miss a lot of great info simply because it flies by too fast on a chat board. Maybe a chat board would work for emergency questions where you need an immediate answer but over all I just don't see it working here.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 18:38:09 (permalink)
    My complaint with MIRC, which I've used plenty is the following:

1. Unless it's a secured channel with a reputable host, mayhem in the form of nasty script kiddies(people who do programming tricks to mess with other chatters and their pc's) can abound. Tis often a main conduit of trojans and viruses that for those who are not net or pc savvy, can be burned pretty badly.

2. Commands: I have no problems with them, but again for those who are not familar or not pc savvy, they may prove to be arduous for many to use.

3. Maintenance: In order to protect the users of a site on MIRC, there's got to be someone with a LOT of knowledge concerning security, etiquette, set up and so on to be in the channel at all times, as well as setting up bots and so on. It's a very time consuming job. That person also has to be able to teach , without getting frustrated, and teach many. Site ops and mods have a pretty difficult job in this respect.

Some of us have been using msn messenger with no problems. It's easy to secure, lightweight and you don't have to close down programs or use commands to operate. You can get up to 25 people in one conversation if desired, and also speak one on one at the same time if needed. It also has voice capabilites, Cam capabilities(y'all oughta see 1-95 nekkid, just ain't purty ), also has file transfer protocol which filters through your anitvirus. Also, interactive games and such can be played, with ease.

The drawbacks are again the limit of participants in one conversation is 25, but for myself......it's confusing at 25!.Also what I've seen most forums who utilize msn is to make an msn list, to whioch you may add whom you wish. If someone adds you to whom which you have no desire to talk to......don't accept the invitation and if you find out later it's not your desire to communicate with this person anymore.....just block 'em and delete 'em. This way you have control over who can converse with you .

The requirements for IRC are programs such as MIRC, PIRCH, Acidmax
    Some charge after so much usage.

The requirements for MSN messenger are either a download @ msn.com or Windows messenger, which is a slightly streamlined version of msn messenger......comes with XP home and XP pro automatically and interfaces with msn messenger. However, I personally recommend downloading the msn messenger that is 5 mb's...a little more bang for no bucks

CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/07 20:29:52 (permalink)
    I think, therefore I am.

On the other hand, my pigs think, therefore they become ham.

When I use the top phrase my youngest says words to the effect "dad you must be thinking because you look like you are in pain."

While my eldest says things like, "dad knock off the thinking, you are going to hurt yourself and you will be wrong anyway, just ask mom."

Children, bless their cruel little hearts, can't kill em, can't live without em, to paraphrase a phrase. But I can, and will spend their inheritance.

And of course my beatuiful bride has several zingers, "Honey, don't think now, we don't have time." Or her all time best " I know what you are thinking, and you were wrong before you started."

God I love that woman.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: What do YOU think? 2004/08/08 00:44:52 (permalink)
    Of course... There is also ICQ... (Rapidly retreating as rocks are thrown in my direction...)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1