What do you bring back home with you?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/07/22 12:48:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ideafield

I always pack a small collapsible cooler with some freezer ice packs "just in case." I found this site today and up until now, thought I was the only one who craved the tastes of the past places I have lived. Glad to know I'm in good company. What a great site. I now live in Los Angeles.

As for wings, I've never had bad Buffalo wings in the Western New York area but I know most of you foodies have your favorite places. (Warning: never order Buffalo wings in Los Angeles. Most are battered or breaded and served with ranch dressing. Not a stick of celery or blue cheese to be found.

How strange. Where do they batter the wings? I'm in LA too and I have never seen that. The celery is usually there if you are in a bar/pub, but not always in restaurants. Ranch is standard, but sometimes they do ask for your preference. The main thing that I miss about the Buffallo buffallo wings is the 10 levels of heat you could choose from.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/07/22 13:24:05 (permalink)
When going home to Lancaster, PA, I always have to go to the markets for Weaver's sweet bologna, Hippey's ring bologna, achenbach's dewey and sticky buns, Grandma Utz potato chips, Hammond's pretzels, Faller's pretzel sticks, Kitchen Kettle chow chow, Hodecker's celery, Wilbur chocolates from the factory, and other assorted goodies. Yes, the coolers are full, but we only can do this once a year or so. Those people up there are too picky, so I can't bring any southern treats with me.

By the way do they still make Lemon Blend (near Pittsburgh)?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18380
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/07/22 15:40:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

Bialys from NYC. Bagels are everywhere but their cousin the bialy is hard to find.

If you're ever in the central Ohio area you can get bialys at Block's Bagels in Columbus.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/07/22 15:52:08 (permalink)
Every time I am in Lafayette, LA, I get at least a dozen pounds of Mello Joy Coffee

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/07/22 19:29:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by ideafield

I always pack a small collapsible cooler with some freezer ice packs "just in case." I found this site today and up until now, thought I was the only one who craved the tastes of the past places I have lived. Glad to know I'm in good company. What a great site. I now live in Los Angeles.

As for wings, I've never had bad Buffalo wings in the Western New York area but I know most of you foodies have your favorite places. (Warning: never order Buffalo wings in Los Angeles. Most are battered or breaded and served with ranch dressing. Not a stick of celery or blue cheese to be found.

How strange. Where do they batter the wings? I'm in LA too and I have never seen that. The celery is usually there if you are in a bar/pub, but not always in restaurants. Ranch is standard, but sometimes they do ask for your preference. The main thing that I miss about the Buffallo buffallo wings is the 10 levels of heat you could choose from.
elsiefame
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/07/22 21:05:40 (permalink)
Just came back from Connecticut with a can of Habitant Yellow Pea Soup ( for my French Canadian self) and when anyone in our family goes to Fall River , MA, our birthplace, they must bring back chow mein sandwiches, Hartley's pork pies, salmon pies, and , if they can find them, fig or raisin squares!
kppi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/01 19:21:28 (permalink)
Hi people, new to site. Would like to know if anyone out there knows where to buy rosselers hot dogs by the box. help
kppi
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18380
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/01 20:21:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by kppi

Hi people, new to site. Would like to know if anyone out there knows where to buy rosselers hot dogs by the box. help
kppi

Whenever I was in Connecticut I used to buy Roessler's in five-pound boxes at a supermarket in Niantic.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/02 00:42:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

Galco's Old World Grocery was also featured on a PBS Show, one of the Huell Howser Shows. Galco's is also known for a special sandwich of which the same lady has been making them for ever? I am looking for a Frosty Root Beer wonder if they have one there?

Yes, Galco's Soda Pop Stop lists it online at: http://www.sodapopstop.com/products/detail.cfm?link=46
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/03 07:14:54 (permalink)
GOOD TOPIC!!
when i used to go home to jersey - i used to bring back bagels with me. but we've finally gotten a few places out here (indiana)that serve somewhat ( although not totally east coast) bagels.. so now the thing i bring back with me when i go home is drakes cakes-- mostly funny bones... can't get them out here and since i introduced my husband to them--he's become addicted..... have friends/family send them out too! i know-- sounds a little obsessive but.. when you can't get hold of a good thing that you like- you tend to do whatever it takes to get it.. .. now --- if i could only find a way to get steamers,oysters and all that other good stuff out here-- i'd be set!! :)
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/04 16:18:00 (permalink)
jerseygirl, you can get steamers, oysters, any kind of fish, shellfish, lobsters, etc. from http://www.yankeelobstercompany.com/
They ship to all 50 US states (yes, even Alaska!)
Do we bring back food from our trips?? Oy vey.......do we ever!! Last trip to Palm Springs we packed an empty 50lb. potato box PLUS an extra suitcase we borrowed from MomZ AND we each had stuff in our suitcases. WOAH! We can't resist.....oh look, big cans of chipotles!.......hearts of palm!.....broccoli rabe!!......hot sauces!!.....lemons, oranges, grapefruit!! We're hopeless. But happy!
jgleduc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/04 18:43:30 (permalink)
quote:
elsiefame writes when anyone in our family goes to Fall River , MA, our birthplace, they must bring back chow mein sandwiches, Hartley's pork pies, salmon pies, and , if they can find them, fig or raisin squares!

This post was from last year, so I'm not sure if elsie is here anymore, but - Hartley's pork pies are addictive! They have a small storefront in Lincoln, RI, about 10 minutes from Providence - too many times I've staggered in early in the morning, rather under the weather, for two fresh and four frozen (heat those babies up later. . .) I've never gone in for fig or raisin squares, though.

My parents lived in Bloomington, IN, during the late fifties and early sixties while my father was a graduate student there. They loved it there, except for the heat. But whenever they could, my mom's parents would send them the local Italian-American goodies they missed - they simply could not get that stuff there at that time. Today my parents do the same with my brother who lives in Minnesota (he can get some good Italian there, but it's hard and often way overpriced.)

My folks also lived in Pennslyvania for a time after leaving Indiana. To this day, no member of our family can visit there without having to bring back Lebanon bologna (preferably several varieties), shoo-fly pie, chow chow, etc. We gorge on it, freeze the bologna and dole it out carefully and lovingly, until it's finally gone.

Locally, I'll always pick up some chorizo at one of the great markets in Fall River when there; pierogies when in Chicopee, MA; cranberry curd when out by the Cape. But those are close enough that they probably don't fit in this thread. . .
RVlifestyle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/11 00:40:40 (permalink)
Whenever we're going through MO, IL, IN and parts of KY we search high and low for Prairie Farm's French Onion Dip. We usually buy large quantities for ourselves and 1/2 a dozen families who now live in Florida and can't get it. Thank heaven's for the large frig in the RV. (I even tried to freeze it once for transport but that didn't work )
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/11 10:44:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RVlifestyle

Whenever we're going through MO, IL, IN and parts of KY we search high and low for Prairie Farm's French Onion Dip. We usually buy large quantities for ourselves and 1/2 a dozen families who now live in Florida and can't get it. Thank heaven's for the large frig in the RV. (I even tried to freeze it once for transport but that didn't work )

We get Marie's at Publix and it is quite good.

This recipe is outstanding.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17637,00.html

If the link doesn't work, search for onion dip on the Food Network, Really Onion Dip.

Cakes
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/11 13:47:52 (permalink)
Lets see now---top split hot dog buns---Autocrat Coffee Syrup---procuitto---italian cheeses---Devil Dogs---Sky Bars---Maple Syrup---and a pizza for the road!---at least that was the last trip.
RVlifestyle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/11 22:34:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Cakes

We get Marie's at Publix and it is quite good.

This recipe is outstanding.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_17637,00.html

If the link doesn't work, search for onion dip on the Food Network, Really Onion Dip.

Cakes

Thanks Cakes! Will have to try both....
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/11 23:26:55 (permalink)
lleechef,
You were in Palm Springs, and didn't bring home any dates? When I was a little boy, my mother would make me crazy. I loved dates, but whenever I asked my mom for one, she'd say, "Sure, where do you want to go?"
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/12 03:45:54 (permalink)
Poverty Pete,
No dates since MomZ sent us approx. 10 lbs. for Christmas!!!! One less thing we had to tote back to Alaska! Oh, we got coconut covered dates, apricot filled dates, almond filled dates, dates, dates, dates, "where do you want to go again?" AND just in case we were jonesing for dates in Palm Springs, she had MORE there! AHHHHHHHHH! Surrounded by dates! But they are soooooooo good!
I especially miss the tree-ripened avocadoes. The ones we get here taste like plastic.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/12 04:08:45 (permalink)
Lisa
Amen on the avocado's, Many of the stands and local markets would have them 10 for a buck most of the year. One nice thing here in rural Indiana, our local WalMart will frequently have them for a quarter apiece. Not bad...but the locals will pick one up and put it back quickly...for some reason the market gets them when they are really ripe (soft) and folks don't realize that means instant 'Good". We make lots of fresh salads and dips when we can get a dozen or so at a decent price.
Shields Date Farm in Indio, CA is where we stocked up on the dates (and citrus) this last roadtrip. Have to have a date shake no matter what time of day it is !
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/12 04:39:03 (permalink)
Mr. Mayor,
if we could buy avocados cheap like in the desert (well we got 3 for a buck, not 10......where do you shop?) we'd be making guacamole and all kinds of good stuff. I LOVE those little buggers! They tend to run about 1.99-2.99 A PIECE here. Sheesh. For that price, I can fly to Palm Springs, get my date fix, citrus fix, avocado fix, meet awesome Roadfood folks AND get a tan! Voila!
Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2295
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/12 06:27:08 (permalink)
When I lived in Indio, I used to stop in at Shields Date Farm almost daily, for a cold glass of grapefruit juice. I think it's $1.35 for a 12 oz. cup of freshly squeezed juice. Best bargain in the desert.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/12 12:15:00 (permalink)
Yesterday we shared with out septagenarian friend a grapefruit from the desert.........still as good as when it was picked 2 months ago! We still have lemons and oranges........wow, that 50 lb. potato box packed a lot of stuff! RickF's pickles are all gone and we've eaten our way through the goodies that Bushie sent us. Time for another Roadtrip!
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2004/04/12 13:49:15 (permalink)
Rhubarb!

When you go into the Publix here in SW Florida, they have 4 scrawny little pieces of rhubarb in a package for an outrageous price. My mother heads back to Iowa this time of year and she has friends that give her all she wants.

She ships a care package down and my wife makes several rhubarb dishes and takes them to work to share with other MidWest expatriates.

Cakes
Monroe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/01 10:09:50 (permalink)
To Lone Star,

I just saw your post about Priddy's Chicken Salad and I want to let you know you can buy it again in Ardmore, Ok.  The company is now owned by Jerry Patillo.  I went to school with his brother in Ardmore.  Jerry's store is on highway 199 just east of Washington Street in Ardmore.  You can get all the Priddy's products from him.  Sorry, I don't know the actual name of the store.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10216
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/02 05:10:56 (permalink)
Back in the 70's, I worked out of NYC but traveled out West frequently. I had standard orders from my boss to bring him back 2 cases of Coors. That was before Coors was available East of the Mississippi and before baggage regulations and the TSA. Always took an extra suitcase with me!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5042
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/02 12:07:35 (permalink)
Whenever I/we travel I/we try to work in a visit to a local winery.  If it's the 2 of us Mrs. SC tastes and selects, and if I'm by myself I ask the staff for suggestions based on what she likes.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 730
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/02 15:17:23 (permalink)
I bring back home a lot of junk food that I've never seen anywhere else, usually potato chips and soda pop, something that won't ruin when locked up in the hot car.

My most memorable find was discovering in Mountain View, Arkansas "Stewart's Lemon Meringue" flavored soda (now, sadly, long discontinued; it tasted exactly like the meringue on a lemon pie).

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2087
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/02 18:09:55 (permalink)
Little blonds; usual kick them out the next morning or a couple of days.  ... I messed up one night, brought home a brunet.  She is still here, 28 years.

Oh ....   you mean food.   .. If we don't bring the left-overs home (assuming there is some),  then it wasn't worth eating to start with.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/03 10:44:50 (permalink)
Now that I live in Ohio, we often go to Pittsburgh (area) to visit my Mother.  We try to stop in the Strip District to bring back seafood from Wholey's and as many Italian goodies as we can carry out of Pennsylvania Macaroni Company.  We also brought brats back from Bucyrus. 
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2012/06/03 13:12:09 (permalink)
when we go to fall river, ma  .we get hartley pork pies ,gaspars chourish,eclispe coffee syrup,amarals sweetbreads, and hoppee gravy and chow mein noodles from oriental chow mein co.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1