What do you bring back home with you?

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
Lucky Bishop
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1049
2003/06/27 15:46:56 (permalink)

What do you bring back home with you?

Many of us live far away from where we grew up, or we have a special vacation spot that we go to again and again. Which unavailable items do you buy a case of to keep on hand until your next trip?

Whenever I'm back south, I buy a couple cases of Ranch Style Beans and Pioneer Country Gravy, and when I'm back home in Texas, I resolve to eat as many Mrs. Baird's cherry pies as I can.

I've often thought that a website like this should have a section where people can trade Mail Food. Like, "I'll send you a couple of packages of J.J. Nissen New England-style frankfurter rolls if you send me two loaves of Texas Toast."

90 Replies Related Threads

muzzlehatch
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 15:58:50 (permalink)
    BEER. I'm a hard-core maltophile and hopshead and I've tried around 1100 beers, 75% of them American micro/regionals. The selecion I can get here in N Vermont is pretty pathetic and needless to say I've long ago exhausted all but the occasional new local seasonal, so when I visit friend or family in CT, Chicago, WI or Minneapolis, it's liquor stores I hit up first. Most of my regional favorite foods just won't survive long car trips (Chi stuffed pizza & hot dogs, Milwaukee brats) and the beer is really what I can't do without. But I really do want to get some Corr's Ginseng Rush soda the next time I'm in Chicago if it's still available. And I'd be willing to trade my last bottle of Shelburne Orchards Ginger Jack for it, too.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 16:03:54 (permalink)
    On our trips from Louisville to the West Coast, we try to pick up a case of Shiner's Boch at a store in one of the states where they sell it (not Indiana or Kentucky). We happened to think of it recently in Amarillo but it was Sunday Morning, and we couldn't buy it before noon (Texas didn't want us going to church under the influence?) Continuing West, as soon as we crossed into New Mexico we found a store...but had changed a time zone and had to wait 15 minutes til noon their time to be able to stock up. BTW Indiana has a no sale at all on Sunday, and Kentucky also won't let you get it before noon...I guess I was spoiled by SoCal where every grocery seems to be open 24 hours and sales are sales !!
    We used to stop in Lincoln City Oregon at a place on the south side of town that made outstanding Beef Jerky..Don't know if it still there, but will check on our next trip.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13509
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 16:42:32 (permalink)
    When I go through Cincinatti, I always stop at Gold Star Chili, get a couple of three way hot dogs and several cans of Cincinatti chili.

When I am in Lafayette, Louisiana, I alwasy pick up about a dozen bags of Mello Joy Coffee. Lafayette is the only city I have been able to buy it.

If I am driving in southern Louisiana, close to the canals to the Gul of Mexico, I get a cooler with ice and bring home a dozen pounds of shrimp. If I have the room, I like to get a bushel of unshucked oysters and if they are in season, I get a bunch of mud bugs.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 17:14:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

...We happened to think of it recently in Amarillo but it was Sunday Morning, and we couldn't buy it before noon (Texas didn't want us going to church under the influence?)

That's right, Mr. Mayor. We frown upon going to church "under the influence". We like to wait until Sunday Dinner (lunch) to start drinkin'.

This is a great topic, Lucky. These days it's so easy to find those "favorites" to order on the Internet, though. Kind of takes the "romance" out when you order it delivered, doesn't it?
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 17:35:09 (permalink)
    When we go down near the Indian River in Florida, I always have to stop at the smaller orange grove gift shops and stock up on those plastic suckers that screw into the top of oranges to give out to visiting kids at home (keeping 1 or 2 for me too). Now that I think about it, the reason they’re probably not available anywhere else is because their design really is a choking hazard. " /> I also get jars of tangerine and temple orange marmalade. Then we go to a little convenience store and get plastic jugs of that mustardy-vinegary-black peppery Carolina sauce that my husband loves on pork because there is nothing – and I mean nothing - like that here in PA. For years before they were available in the Northeast, I used to tote cases of Bush’s baked beans back with me from Florida too.

The two things I am always taking and sending from here to other parts of the country are TastyCakes and dried marrow beans, which make the most wonderful bean soup. It’s strange because most of them are now grown in California but rarely sold there.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 17:46:47 (permalink)
    RubyRose, I am a fan of Bush's baked beans also. I use them with my baked beans everytime. I get them with onions, molasses and a few other goodies.

Bush's has a cannery in Newport, TN which is a notorious town off I-40 east of Knoxville. They were the car stealing, dope selling, chicken fighting, illegal gambling and a few other trades that I will not mention capital of Tennessee. I guess the Bush plant adds some gas to fuel that type of energy.

Walmart sells them here, but probably not everywhere else.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 19:06:46 (permalink)
    New Orleans: Coffee

Back East: Devil Dogs

Canada: Salt and Vinegar chips (stronger than the ones in the USA), REAL Cadbury (again, different formula), Smarties, Floral gums, and a coconut cookie called Ruffles.

England: More Cadbury, weird potato chips like "chicken and stuffing", and OXO vegetable gravy granules.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 19:10:06 (permalink)
    Difficult thread ...
    Lobsters last time in Boston / New England
    Driving back thru Canadian Customs "What's in the Cooler ?" ... "36, What ?"
    Sam Adams Beer when it was only available in New England, and came sealed in six pack boxes, before anyone had microbrewing ... Always distract the customs officers with the lobsters ...
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 19:30:57 (permalink)
    When I go home to S. Cent. PA, it is Smittie's Soft Pretzels, potato chips, and sugar cakes (with or without chocolate chips).

My husband and I LOVE to go to the Niagara peninsula in Canada. We always try to bring home some peaches from there. I've had good peaches before, but never NEVER as good as these.

I once also brought back some burgoo (sp?) from Kentucky. It was fabulous. Nothing like that around here.

And of course, we love going to N. California and always come home with lots of wine. Gotta carry it back because of the shipping laws here in MD.

Meowzart
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 19:35:11 (permalink)
    We are fortunate in East Tennessee as we have the Mayfield's dairy. I always buy several gallons of the wonderful ice cream and take to my brother in Minneapolis as it is not available there.

The last time I did this was prior to 9/11.

I am not sure they will let me ship with dry ice any longer.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 20:02:11 (permalink)
    Olive salad from New Orleans. Fried pies from Tennessee.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 20:54:46 (permalink)
    What kind of fried pies from Tennnessee?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 21:33:48 (permalink)
    Last Trip home to Pine Bluff Arkansas, I bought back 6 Dozen of Irish Maid Donuts 2 Plain and 4 Chocolate Cream Filled. Two Quart Jars of Arthur's BBQ Sauce. One Broke and made a mess in my suitcase. I also brought back a Cast Iron Corn Bread Stick Pan. Two commemorative bricks from the old high school along with 4 High school annuals. There were also a few more souvenirs and clothing. Suitcase weighed 95 Pounds! I had to Pay $20.00 extra for the suitcase. The Airport screeners at Memphis started to give me a Hard time. But they did their job, poked, prodded, scanned for explosives and sent me on my way.
    Next time I ship the stuff, except for the food of course!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 21:45:23 (permalink)
    Orange blossom honey, grits, grapefruit, and corn meal from Florida, cheap alcohol from New Hampshire, wine from the Finger Lakes, and great memories of good food from all along the road...
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 22:14:52 (permalink)
    Sundancer, can't remember the brand. We used to have them in SoCal. None in NY. Bought a dozen for my friends. Peach. They were at every convenience store between Nashville and Johnson City.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/27 22:26:43 (permalink)
    I have a suitcase that is about half regular size. On my trip out at various times it has been filled with containers of frozen crab soup, frozen 6 pound log of Taylor's pork roll, iced blocks of scapple and boxes of tastycakes (usually butterscotch krimpets) on the trip home the case will hold whatever goodies I have come across, frequently this is spices & ingrediants that are hard to come by at home, so that I can recreate the great food I have there. I also pick up a few local cookbooks along the way.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/28 08:20:49 (permalink)
    Always return home from visits to my parents in Connecticut with 5 lb. boxes of Hummels hot dogs, portuguese rolls, loaves of spinach bread, and sourdough bagels from H&H, the latter of which involves a time-consuming detour into upper Manhattan but is worth it.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/28 10:01:17 (permalink)
    Leaving Chincoteague one year we purchased a cheap styrofoam cooler, some ice, and a couple dozen crabs to enjoy at home. The cooler sat on the backseat, squeaking and squealing with crab claws scraping across styrofoam, by the time we crossed the Delaware Memorial bridge it was starting to smell a little too much like the back side of a crab shack. By the time we got home, nerves on edge from the noise, stomachs queasy from the odor, and tired from the six hour drive, we had little interest in cooking and eating those damn crabs. We did, but it was a joyless dinner...Lesson : leave the seashore where it belongs.
    Fancifree
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/28 22:47:44 (permalink)
    I've often thought that a website like this should have a section where people can trade Mail Food. Like, "I'll send you a couple of packages of J.J. Nissen New England-style frankfurter rolls if you send me two loaves of Texas Toast."

Sorry to join the topic so late! I know of a store here in Southern California which stocks something like 270 kinds of "pop" from all over the country (and sometimes out of it!)

I'm giving a blurb from a PBS program I saw on this; my best friend and her husband used to live just around the corner from it, and they were always finding fascinating kinds of pop.

"Galco's Old World Grocery, a family owned store that specializes in hundreds of kinds of soda pop. Remember your childhood favorite? Can't find it anywhere? Well give Galco's a call at ***-255-7115, and they just might have it in stock."

(I removed the area code in case it's against the rules to give phone humbers. In the LA area there are only so many area codes! )
    TANFANRN
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/28 22:57:02 (permalink)
    JUST RETURNED HOME FROM SOUTH CAROLINA WITH MY STASH OF MAURICES GOLD BAR-B-Q SAUCE. ALSO A SACK OF "REAL" GRITS AND SOME FRESH BOILED PEANUTS.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/28 23:22:01 (permalink)
    Fancifree,
    The soda store you mentioned was an item on "The Best of..." or " Food Finds" I can't remember which,not long ago. They sure had a great variety.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/29 00:35:39 (permalink)
    Galco's Old World Grocery was also featured on a PBS Show, one of the Huell Howser Shows. Galco's is also known for a special sandwich of which the same lady has been making them for ever? I am looking for a Frosty Root Beer wonder if they have one there?
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/29 00:48:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

I am looking for a Frosty Root Beer wonder if they have one there?

Big Glenn,
    Check the old sodas thread, I talked about Frosty. They were originally from Catonsville MD, No longer made here & I believe only now in cans. I understand the costcos here on the east coast carry them, you might want to check out on the west coast.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/29 11:02:26 (permalink)
    Whenever I travel to the Pennsylvania Dutch country, I bring home fresh baked breads, corn relish, chow chow, and wet bottom shoo-fly pie. I did it yesterday, but didn't bring home any pie.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/29 20:34:42 (permalink)
    BigGlenn, whenever I'm through your hometown of Pine Bluff, AR, I always stop at Ma Jones' Restaurant for some great plate lunch and pie eating, and always bring home with me several jars of her (hot) Apple Relish (great for eating with peas, greens, meats of all sorts, and even just by itself). When through Star City south of Pine Bluff I always try to bring home some breads, pastries, pies, or cakes from The Bakery at The Village (shopping center) just south of there, and when through Fordyce southwest of Pine Bluff I always try to have lunch (soup, salad, and/or sandwich and pie) at Klappenbach's Bakery plus again bring home breads, pasteries, cakes, or pies. The tiny town of Leslie on US 65 north of Little Rock is home to the Serenity Farm Breads sourdough brick oven bakery and requires a stop to load up on some of their various breads and bread specialties. All these Arkansas breads, pastries, baked goods and Ma Jones' relish are great.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/29 21:23:35 (permalink)
    Murchies mango tea and Bernard Callebaut chocolate--both of which I mule back from Vancouver, BC every time I'm up in Seattle seeing my parents.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/29 23:39:10 (permalink)
    Hey Liketoeat, next time your in Pine Bluff you have to have Irish Maid Donuts for Breakfast and Arthurs BBQ for Lunch. Dinner at any Catfish Place and you will be sleeping like a log that night. Funny. I haven't been to Ma Jones Place where is that at?
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/30 01:33:17 (permalink)
    When in south Florida, or the Keys, we always pick up stone crab when in season, also grouper and pompano. Also conch, so we make fritters, chowder and salad. In addition, also bring home fresh tomatoes and corn and other fresh produce so that we can have a barbeque in January. We always take an empty suitcase for the veggies and a cooler for the aquatic delights. Had to stop using dry ice so we freeze the the seafood in half gallon water filled milk cartons. Haven't lost a cooler yet.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3757
    RE: What do you bring back home with you? 2003/06/30 02:21:56 (permalink)
    The last time I was in upstate New York, I was asked to bring back some Zweigle (???) white hots. Personally, I am not a big fan of anything food that is made up of lips and snouts, but, when I got home, I was the big hit.

I don't even think anyone noticed that the hotdogs were packed in my suitcase!

Steve
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1