What do you order in a good restaurant ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
2007/08/09 15:40:59 (permalink)

What do you order in a good restaurant ?

When I go out to eat I want to choose something I won't make at home.

I can not buy steaks as good as better restaurants can. Not money wise, nor quality wise. Plus I may screw up the cooking while sipping a Manhattan soooooooo I don't grill or any-other-wise cook steaks at home. Ordering a perfectly cooked T'Bone is a delight I look forward to when some good-looking babe asks me out. There are many excellent Steak Houses where I can feel like a king---------sooooo no steaks at home. But--------

I can make Shrimp Scampi at home as well as any restaurant, and a heck of a lot cheaper, so why order Shrimp Scampi, etc, etc. Comonna my house I'm gonna make you whatever you want-----

So when you go out to eat, on a special occasion, what do you order ????

36 Replies Related Threads

GB944
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/09 16:10:51 (permalink)
    My friend has an excellent strategy for ordering when out of town.

He asks the waiter, "If your best friend was coming from out of town, and you wanted him to get the best of what this restaurant has to offer, what would you recommend?"

He has always followed the recommendation, and, at last count, had not ever been disappointed.

My son, on the other hand, and I were out to breakfast a couple of months ago, and I asked what he was going to order. Eggs Benedict was the answer, and I asked why. "Because I can't make it at home." My response was that hollandaise sauce is simple. "Nope, not hollandaise sauce, but poached eggs are impossible."

I went home and made him a video of how to poach eggs, and, as a bonus, showed how to make a hollandaise sauce.

Now he has to find something else to order for breakfast.
    johnreed
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/09 16:10:51 (permalink)
    Great question. I order foods that I don't have the expertise or nerve to prepare at home. Châteaubriand, for example. Or prime rib. Lobster is another one. Longhorn Steak House has a superb marinated salmon that I can't duplicate, because I don't have the marinade formula (bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce). Anyone have the proportions? ~(;-D)
    bakman_01570
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/09 16:20:38 (permalink)
    ive been to Longhorns and had salmon there which was to die for.

When out, I oftentimes will order salmon. No one at home will eat it. Even though I make shrimp scampi at home, it still doesn't prevent me from ordering it when I'm out. I LOVE shrimp scampi!

I first tried eggs benedict about a month ago when I went out. It came with crab cakes. It really hit the spot.

I'll at least "try" and pick something on the menu that I don't necessarily get at home. I like that method of food selection

BigDave67
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/09 16:22:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

When I go out to eat I want to choose something I won't make at home.

I can not buy steaks as good as better restaurants can. Not money wise, nor quality wise. Plus I may screw up the cooking while sipping a Manhattan soooooooo I don't grill or any-other-wise cook steaks at home. Ordering a perfectly cooked T'Bone is a delight I look forward to when some good-looking babe asks me out. There are many excellent Steak Houses where I can feel like a king---------sooooo no steaks at home. But--------

I can make Shrimp Scampi at home as well as any restaurant, and a heck of a lot cheaper, so why order Shrimp Scampi, etc, etc. Comonna my house I'm gonna make you whatever you want-----

So when you go out to eat, on a special occasion, what do you order ????
    I'll eat about the same stuff I'll eat at home,if I'm at Ryan's or Golden Corral otherwise I shoot for something different.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/09 16:46:19 (permalink)
    I always order something I cant make at home -EXCEPT when we go to the 5 oclock club-best steaks in town
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/09 18:21:04 (permalink)
    With me it depends on the restaurant in question and my mood. Generally, I'll order something I won't make at home very often mainly because it can be such a pain. Although, there are things that are a pain that can only be made the way they're supposed to be made when I do it myself in my own kitchen. Daufuskie Island Deviled Crabs and Shrimp Creole are my main examples. Lowcountry boil tops the list, too; even though it's a no-brainer and requires little effort, it's hard to get it made decently at a restaurant. Truth be known, I don't even bother to order those things at all in restaurants. So, long story longer, I probably will order fried chicken or fried seafood, or Rockefeller or something like that when out. The making is straightforward but the prep can be a bit bothersome.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6382
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/10 17:58:01 (permalink)
    Depends on the restaurant.

I will order something that is the place signature dish and something I won't make at home.

AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/10 19:37:34 (permalink)
    For me it's usually anything but steaks, because we get excellent cuts from out local butcher shop. If it's seafood, I go for lobster, scallops or oysters. I like to try signature dishes (depending upon what they are) and basically anything that's not something I usually eat at home. I'm not a big fan of ordering chicken dishes unless it's fried chicken or pad thai or something very spicy, because I sometimes feel very "chickened" out!

Andrea
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/10 19:56:38 (permalink)
    CK, one more time, great minds think alike!

Andrea, yes... something diff from what you eat at home. "chickened out" lol, me tooo sometimes.
    Joe
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/11 02:44:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CajunKing

Depends on the restaurant.

I will order something that is the place signature dish and something I won't make at home.

me too cajunking,i find if you go with the house specialties[hopefully made from scratch] you usually won't be disapointed.
    i live in chicago where we have so many great resturants to choose from.i enjoy comfort food,love to eat and don't really cook at home so if anyplace is doing an upscale mac n cheese,gourmet chicken pot pie,homemade pasta or a top grade meatloaf perhaps with creamy rich buttery mashed potaoes and gravy made from a rich veal stock then i'm right there with it and ready to commit.
    no foie gras thank you however a simply prepared medium rare filet mignon is always enjoyable and i will occasionally treat myself to one.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/11 18:41:07 (permalink)
    Porterhouse, a good red wine, salad with blue cheese and a baked potato with sour cream and lotsa butter.

Paul E. Smith'
    Knoxville, TN
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/12 05:24:09 (permalink)
    Foie gras, anything with black truffles, duck confit, sweetbreads, grilled veal kidneys, any fresh fish.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 10:17:29 (permalink)

It's getting tougher for me to go to a restaurant to eat what I do not have at home. In my freezer is escargot, sweetbreads, calf liver, eel, soft shell crabs and more. Last night I defrosted and cooked my chicken enchiladas in mole sauce. I have dried porcini and ****ake mushrooms for rissoto.

I can make my own sushi and I am getting better at Thai food as I have many of the ingredients neccesary. That said, I still will go out for that food, especially sushi as I will order a variety of pieces and rolls.

I will never order a steak, but a good prime rib does trip my trigger. I will cook rib-eye steaks, but a prime rib has a different mouth feel, taste and texture. I love the au jus....

Even though I can make it at home, I love going out for a good corned beef hash.

mark
    susanll
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 10:35:44 (permalink)
    I live with two who are not shellfish eaters. So, when I go out, it is pan seared scallops for me. I could make them at home, but I would be the only one eating. (Of course, now that I think about it, that may not be so bad after all.)
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 10:46:51 (permalink)
    For me, it depends on the restaurant. I try to order what they are good at. Often times, I find myself preferring one place over another because they have a particular dish that I have a taste for. At many restaurants, I narrow their selections to one or two things and then repeat those selections whenever I visit.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1509
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 11:02:05 (permalink)
    My first goal in restaurants is to try things I've never had before anywhere else.... other times I'll go to several restaurants (over a couple of weeks)and order the same item to see who makes the best in town.. i.e. fried chicken, bbq, etc.... if I go to a familiar place, I'll just consistently order what I know they do well.. (unless they've added something new)
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 11:06:07 (permalink)
    At a good restaurant I tend to pay a lot of attention to the specials of the day. That's where a chef's creativity frequently shines. I'll order something I might not have had (or particularly liked) before if the chef is know for it (at one fine Italian place a newsapaper review got me to try a risotto with bone marrow and red wine that was just incredible). I lean toward seafood and rich meat: scallops, swordfish, lamb and duck all draw me in. If a place does good veal I'll order that, if the menu (or I) seem boring at the time I'll find a gamier piece of beef.

Chicken and pork just seem too much like home food to me (and there's so much stale pre-cooked chicken used today that we won't even order chicken in Chinese takeout).
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 11:19:25 (permalink)
    Used to be my other half would not eat any type of seafood- so usually when we went out to a really nice restaurant I would order fresh seafood- like a swordfish or halibut or mabe a shrimp scampi and he would order a filet mignon or prime rib. That all changed when we made a trip to Louisiana a few years ago and he fell in love with skewered fried shrimp. That week he ate every type of seafood you can imagine- from shrimp to oysters to gumbo, and everything in between. Now when we go out, he may even order shrimp. Of course, at home I make my portion into a scampi and serve with spaghetti tossed with garlic and olive oil and his portion is lightly battered and panfried. But sometimes when we go out he will at least try something new. Once he really surprised me, and ordered a grilled salmon with a raspberry comfit- I didn't think he would even eat it- but he loved it! I guess it's true, as you get older your likes and dislikes for certain foods change.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 12:09:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

At a good restaurant I tend to pay a lot of attention to the specials of the day. That's where a chef's creativity frequently shines. I'll order something I might not have had (or particularly liked) before if the chef is know for it (at one fine Italian place a newsapaper review got me to try a risotto with bone marrow and red wine that was just incredible). I lean toward seafood and rich meat: scallops, swordfish, lamb and duck all draw me in. If a place does good veal I'll order that, if the menu (or I) seem boring at the time I'll find a gamier piece of beef.

Chicken and pork just seem too much like home food to me (and there's so much stale pre-cooked chicken used today that we won't even order chicken in Chinese takeout).

I don't usually order chicken, unless it's fried and that's my intention anyway, or fish, unless it's part of a platter. I do have an affinity for Cracker Barrel chicken 'n' dumplings, though. But I don't go there much. The closest one was on Hilton Head and it closed. I never order pork, unless it's "Q." And I prefer beef "Q." Especially ribs. But I do those at home. LOL. MacPhearson's near here makes killer chicken "Q." And all the other "Q's," too. LOL.

P.S. Bacon doesn't count as pork...I eat bacon any chance I get!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 12:40:00 (permalink)
    Depending on the restaurant.........Steak, duck, veal, fish, (depending on the type of fish on the menu). I Also will order the restaurants specialty items. I go to cetain restaurants for certain items.
    I always go out for lobster, clams and oysters.
    The type of foods I will eat out and never cook at home: Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Thai, etc, etc.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 12:51:09 (permalink)
    I've got to parrot other answers and say I go for things i can't do on my own or not as well. Sadly, that doesn't narrow down a lot of things on most menus, but if I'm going to splurge I tend to head towards places that do it up with layers and sauces and foams that I wouldn't do.

Also, cuts of meat get me and if lobster is grilled, I'm all over it.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 13:47:22 (permalink)
    I on the other hand will order something that I would like to replicate at home.
    Duck being one item that I was always leery of trying at home, after finding out there was no mistery to it I gave it a shot. Came out fair to good {over cooked a bit} but still enjoyed it. I will order it in a retaurant just to see their presentation of it.
    Chicken, thought I would never order roast chicken in a high end restaurant but we have a place here in Boston that the owner/chef Cris Slessinger has nailed it. Probably the finest chicken I've ever eaten.
    I have a resorce for Prime beef so I cook that home often and also will order it when dinnig out, depends on my mood. Chow Jim
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 14:52:39 (permalink)
    Of course it depends on the restaurant.
    but when I can get it this is what I order:
    coca cola
    crab meat stuffed mushrooms or oysters rockefeller
    coca cola
    french onion soup
    coca cola
    filet mignon and lobster tail
    au gratin potatoes
    glazed carrots
    for some reason, I can't drink coke quick enough when I'm eating at a restaurant but at home a coke lasts me for a cpl hours
    I wanted to add that part of how high I tip is how good the waitress or waiter stays on top of my refills
    phlmaestro2000
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 109
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 14:58:22 (permalink)
    Often some kind of dish with shellfish, like scallops, shrimp, lobster, etc. Duck is another thing I get a lot when I go to a nice restaurant.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/16 15:10:39 (permalink)
    I like cooking duck.
    Also, in Greenville, I'd order Peking Duck from a restaurant that delivered. I only had to order it a couple of days in advance and they'd bring it to me when I wanted to eat! They used to deliver all kinds of stuff. All the seafoods, etc. I loved it.
    LuckyLabrador
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/17 17:45:00 (permalink)
    Cerviche
    Steak Tartare
    Tableside prepared Caesar salad
    Highly recomended French onion soup
    Veal Parmesean
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/21 14:49:38 (permalink)
    We usually select a retaurant based on their specialty....having said that it never amazes me how many times we're in a restaurnat and Kathy & I say to each other...."what looks good to you?" But here are a few guidlines: whole crabs and lobsters are meant for backyard family picnics so no need to eat out, prime rib is good out; steaks for our grill, sushi out, pizzas out and french food out.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6751
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/21 17:03:54 (permalink)
    We have a great sushi/sashimi restaurant right down the road from us and we eat there a lot. Sure I could make it at home but it's more enjoyable at the Japanese restaurant. Plus we know the chef/owner so we never look at the menu, but ask him to make us whatever he feels like. We're always very very happy with his food and presentation.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: What do you order in a good restaurant ? 2007/08/23 09:55:01 (permalink)
    Thank you one and all. I, like most of you, think that eating out is for special foods that I can not make at home for one reason or another.

Love prime ribs out, I have a great recipe from Craig Claiborne but seldom have the occasion.

As a kid on Long Island we had tons of seafood and great Long Island Duckling. One memorable duck dinner (actully after seeing "Singing In The Rain" at Radio City Music Hall with my wife) we had Duck Montmorency (sp)which was fantastic int a little romantic French Restaurant in Manhattan. The Blue Ribbon on E. 44th just off Times Square had a wonderful roast duck dinner that knocked me out.So I often choose duck when I see it on the menu.

I can not make Chinese at home that compares with good places like Sun Ming so that's another option.

And when I take my sons and grand sons out it is steak dinner exactly as Paul Smith described. I can't afford to do it too often cause those guys can really chow down.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1