Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 103
lizardqueen1

• Total Posts: 34
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 10:53 AM (permalink)
Man, can we just skip the BS for once?
I am from south Jersey originally. To me it's all about good hoagie rolls(I live in NH now and there is no such thing here)the usual italian cold cuts,provolone, shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, oil and oregano.

johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 10:58 AM (permalink)
    My ideal Italian sandwich is very similar to that of Mr. Hoffman’s. I like it on a nice Italian hard hero roll, also with some of the dough in the middle removed. Then sprinkle on the oil vinegar, and oregano. Then I heap on some cappicola ham, genoa salami, prociutto, and occasionally some mortadella as well, but I think that three meats are ideal. Then top it with some provolone, shredded lettuce and thinly sliced onions, then a little more dressing. Wow, I am so excited to have one of these now.

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
      RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 2:03 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Have you ever been to the museum at the base?

I went there with my kids in the summer of '04. We did the sub tour and through the museum. Very cool.

In Groton, there is an Electric Boat company store, where you can buy submarine models, shirts, hats, books, etc.

I was in New England on business, so I dropped the family in Mystic for a few days and based out of there.

We began to head towards PA and stopped at Louis Lunch for a burger.

Unfortunately, haven't been to Sally's or Pepe's yet for pizza.

As far as roadfood places go (especially burgers), I think CT is the place to be

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
        RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 2:10 PM (permalink)
        I didn't know about the Electric Boat Co. store. I discovered I was claustrophobic while touring the Nautilus. If you're up that way again you might enjoy touring the Coast Guard Academy. And next time you get a chance to go to Louis Lunch try the steak sandwich. I grew up eating them, and much prefer them to the hamburgers.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
          RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 2:10 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by lizardqueen1

Man, can we just skip the BS for once?
          I am from south Jersey originally. To me it's all about good hoagie rolls(I live in NH now and there is no such thing here)the usual italian cold cuts,provolone, shredded lettuce, tomato, onion, oil and oregano.

You tell 'em lizardqueen. I agree, every hoagy/submarine sandwich/grinder I have every ordered at a deli/sub shop has always had shredded lettuce and tomatoes. At home, I skip shredding the lettuce and just put on a few leaves.

The way this post is going, I am reminded of additional seasonings to put on my sub next time. I'll remember to add a hearty shake of antigonism and plenty of piss and moan. Come on, lighten up everyone.

saps

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 4:08 PM (permalink)
            quote:

I didn't know about the Electric Boat Co. store. I discovered I was claustrophobic while touring the Nautilus. If you're up that way again you might enjoy touring the Coast Guard Academy. And next time you get a chance to go to Louis Lunch try the steak sandwich. I grew up eating them, and much prefer them to the hamburgers.

Thanks for the info- we plan on going back up next summer.

Any strategy as far as getting into Sally's of Pepe's?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 6:40 PM (permalink)

I am with you Lizard-Lady... Those New Jersey Sub shops...and Eastern Mass too, are Great. They really do make the sandwich. Contents can vary based on what's at hand...No hard-set contents menu for me. But the Bread has GOT to BE Great or it just isn't a SUB-GRINDER-HOAGIE-TORPEDO..etc etc etc

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 7:02 PM (permalink)
                I'm with the crowd on this one: good bread; usual cold cuts and cheeses; lots of thinly sliced onions, good tomato slices, hot peppers and pepperoncini (yes, both) with a modest amount of lettuce, and dress it all with oil/vinegar/salt/pepper and, if you wish, a sprinkling of oregano (but that's optional with me).

Michael Hoffman

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 01/30/06 8:39 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by saps

quote:

The only suggestion I could make about getting into Pepe's or Sally's is to go with me. I'm sort of family. Unfortunately, I won't be back in Connecticut this year, as far as I know.

saps

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

quote:
                    Originally posted by saps

quote:

The only suggestion I could make about getting into Pepe's or Sally's is to go with me. I'm sort of family. Unfortunately, I won't be back in Connecticut this year, as far as I know.

Thanks for the offer- I get to CT about 3 times a year, sometimes more.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                      RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 1:55 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

quote:
                      Originally posted by Hoffman Michael

quote:
                      The only part of your post with which I shall take issue at this point, although there's lots of stuff that needs it, is your absurd claim that the submarine sandwich was invented in Philadelphia. Lettuce and tomato on a sub, well, patently ridiculous. No olives, amazingly wrong. But it's the origination of the sublime submarine that needs to be addressed. It was in 1940 that workers at the Electric Boat Company and at the U.S. Navy submarine base in Groton, Connecticut used to order lunch from Benedetto Capaldo's grocery store in New London. Benedetto would make sandwiches of Genoa salami, provolone cheese, and other things, on loaves of Italian bread that were shaped in a way similar to submarines. The fact of the shape of the bread, coupled with the place they were going to be eaten, led to the name of those sandwiches being submarine sandwiches.

Thanks for the history lesson Mr Know-It-All (shame it is wrong though) and thanks for the hard and fast rules for making a Sub.
                      I will never again make a Sub incorrectly by putting lettuce and tomatoes on it as it is patently ridiculous. And I will always put olives on my sandwich, because I must immitate Subway and be in Hoffman's good graces.

Hoffman reminds me of the jackass you find in every bar or tavern who has an opinion and a vast amount knowledge on every subject and loudly lets everyone know it, but who is really just talking out his butt.

Assuming that you are purposely playing the fool I must congratulate you on being so successful.

Some food historians also feel that Groton, CT was the birthplace of the submarine. However, The family of Dominic Conti (1874-1954) claims he was the first to use the name, submarine sandwich. Angela Zuccaro, granddaughter of Dominic, related the following information:

"My grandfather came to this country circa 1895 from Montella, Italy. Around 1910, he started his grocery store, called Dominic Conti's Grocery Store, on Mill Street in Paterson, New Jersey where he was selling the traditional Italian sandwiches. His sandwiches were made from a recipe he brought with him from Italy which consisted of a long crust roll, filled with cold cuts, topped with lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, oil, vinegar, Italian spices, salt, and pepper. The sandwich started with a layer of cheese and ended with a layer was cheese (this was so the bread wouldn’t get soggy).

My mother often told me about how my grandfather came to name his sandwich the Submarine. She remembered the incident very well, as she was 16 years old at the time. She related that when grandfather went to see the Holland I in 1927, the raised submarine hull that was put on display in Westside Park, he said, 'It looks like the sandwich I sell at my store.' From that day on, he called his sandwich the 'submarine.' People came from miles around to buy one of my Grandfather’s subs."

So, there seems to be a discrepensy in not only when the "italian" (as it was known in new england) became known as the submarine and also what goes into a submarine.

That's the funy thing about "inventions." It's tough to know who was the first, unless there's a patent and even then it's tough to know who was actually first and who was first to get their paper work together. The telephone is a perfect example of that.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
                        This all reminds me of the dispute about the first powered flight. I understand there are still some people who erroneously believe that the Wright brothers did it in 1903. In fact, as everyone knows the first powered flight was made by Gustave Whitehead in Bridgeport, Connecticut in 1901.

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                          RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 2:53 PM (permalink)
                          quote:

This all reminds me of the dispute about the first powered flight. I understand there are still some people who erroneously believe that the Wright brothers did it in 1903. In fact, as everyone knows the first powered flight was made by Gustave Whitehead in Bridgeport, Connecticut in 1901.

Not looking to get in a fight, I just find this interesting as well.

I remember reading about this growing up and learning that it was hard to prove. Apparently none of Whitehead's flights were well recorded and no photographs exist, so it is very difficult to substantiate many of these reports.

I also remember reading that the Smithsonian Institute strongly denies that "controlled, powered flight occurred before 1903" adding another doubt. Also, the original Bridgeport Herald article is filled with many outlandish claims about the event, kind of obscuring whatever facts may be in the article.

They never even taught us about Whitehead in school. Makes me wonder all the other things I never learned, which is why I try to get to the bottom of everythign I can.

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
                            RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 3:13 PM (permalink)
                            Most Americans think that Henry Ford invented the automobile. They were racing them in Europe before he began puttering around Dearborn. He didn't invent the production line either, Leland (Cadillac)wrote the book that Henry followed.

What Ford did do was to produce a car that the average working person could afford. That in itself is a great achievement.

Cakes

renfrew

• Total Posts: 696
                              RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 4:11 PM (permalink)
                              As Napolean said:

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon

Michael Hoffman

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 4:18 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Parses6

quote:

lol So "some people" believe the Wright Brothers, but "everyone knows" Whitehead did it?
                                Wow talk about a case of CT regional bias causing faulty history beliefs!

Well sure. And now I live in Ohio where the license plates say Birthplace of Aviation. I've heard that in North Carolina, where the plates say First in Flight, they deface Ohio plates.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by renfrew

quote:

Not looking to get in a fight, I just find this interesting as well.

I remember reading about this growing up and learning that it was hard to prove. Apparently none of Whitehead's flights were well recorded and no photographs exist, so it is very difficult to substantiate many of these reports.

I also remember reading that the Smithsonian Institute strongly denies that "controlled, powered flight occurred before 1903" adding another doubt. Also, the original Bridgeport Herald article is filled with many outlandish claims about the event, kind of obscuring whatever facts may be in the article.

They never even taught us about Whitehead in school. Makes me wonder all the other things I never learned, which is why I try to get to the bottom of everythign I can.

There were lots of things they didn't teach in school. For instance, when I was in school in New Haven they never taught us about the courage, victories and greatness of Benedict Arnold -- and he was from New Haven.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                                    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                    This is a better and better thread.

The North Carolina license plate defames the Ohio license plate, making claims about the origin of aviation. Both of which apparently defame the Connecticut licence place by not acknowledging Mr. Whitehead's achievement in inventing flight in Connecticut. And everyone defames Connecticut by not acknowledging that the submarine sandwich was invented there, and further defames the state by putting on shredded lettuce and sliced tomatos, and leaving off the olives.

So the Connecticut license plate should read: "First in Flight and Birthplace of Aviation and Home of the Submarine Sandwich (Without Shredded Lettuce and Sliced Tomatos and With Olives)" because anything else would defame the Connecticut licence place. And...it would be "absurd," "ridiculous" and "amazingly wrong" otherwise.

Thanks for clearing all this up, Mr. Hoffman.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                      My pleasure.

Scorereader

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                        The origin of an invention, reminds me of yesterday's crossword that had the clue: "originators of the gong." The crossword answer was ASIANS. This is blantantly wrong, as the gong was one of those instruments that was created all over the world in many different cultures around the same time in ancient history, without any knowledge that the other culture existed. The flute and drum are also instruments of this nature.
                                        So, history is full of these questions like, "who was first?" The answer is almost always in question.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                          RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Tue, 01/31/06 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by BT

I'm with the crowd on this one: good bread; usual cold cuts and cheeses; lots of thinly sliced onions, good tomato slices, hot peppers and pepperoncini (yes, both) with a modest amount of lettuce, and dress it all with oil/vinegar/salt/pepper and, if you wish, a sprinkling of oregano (but that's optional with me).

Spinach instead of lettuce, much much healthier and tastier also...
                                          I too, seem to go with the norm....But I like my sub roll lightly toasted before putting the goodies in it...

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                            RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 7:01 AM (permalink)
                                            Jacksonville Florida is far from the mecca of subs/hoagies at least in the so.jersey/philly definition. Sure we have Subway and Larry's Giant Subs, Firehouse Subs and Blimpies but those IMHO are just sandwichs. Tasty in their own right but far from a "REAL" Hoagie. Even building one at home is impossible because there's no appropriate rolls. Even finding a good "kaiser" roll or "torpedo" is an effort in futility but a cubana roll makes a good subsitute

Scorereader

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                              I remeber Jersey Mike's in Greensboro, NC doing a fair job with the submarine. The owners were from actually from Jersey and opened the place because the couldn't find a good hoagie in town.

It was as close to a Jersey sub as Greensboro was going to get.

Michael Hoffman

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Scorereader

I remeber Jersey Mike's in Greensboro, NC doing a fair job with the submarine. The owners were from actually from Jersey and opened the place because the couldn't find a good hoagie in town.

Jersey Mikes is a chain. My wife and I went to one once, back around 1996. We ordered something they called Italian, and it came with Virginia ham, some bland salami that was not even Italian-style, Swiss cheese, and some lettuce and stuff. I guess it might have been OK if we hadn't expected something approximating an Italian sub.

johns72604

• Total Posts: 74
                                                  RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  In Florida, Publix has the closest thing to a real Hero Sandwich.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                                                    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 4:36 PM (permalink)
                                                    New license plate that nobody can argue with:

New York State - LAND OF TAXE$

roossy90

RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 6:17 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Jacksonville Florida is far from the mecca of subs/hoagies at least in the so.jersey/philly definition. Sure we have Subway and Larry's Giant Subs, Firehouse Subs and Blimpies but those IMHO are just sandwichs. Tasty in their own right but far from a "REAL" Hoagie. Even building one at home is impossible because there's no appropriate rolls. Even finding a good "kaiser" roll or "torpedo" is an effort in futility but a cubana roll makes a good subsitute

The cuban sweet rolls used to make media noche's are sublime. One thing I do miss about Florida is the access to a good cuban or media noche sandwich. You can even get the bread in the grocery stores there.

roossy90

• Location: columbus, oh
                                                        RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by berndog

New license plate that nobody can argue with:

New York State - LAND OF TAXE$

They would have to duke it out with Maine and Massachusetts for that state license plate!

Scorereader

• Location: Crofton, MD
                                                          RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Wed, 02/1/06 6:34 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Scorereader

Jersey Mikes is a chain. My wife and I went to one once, back around 1996. We ordered something they called Italian, and it came with Virginia ham, some bland salami that was not even Italian-style, Swiss cheese, and some lettuce and stuff. I guess it might have been OK if we hadn't expected something approximating an Italian sub.

I know it's a chain. And we went to one in Winston-Salem and the subs weren't as good. The one near our apt.in Greensboro was decent. I think the ownership of this chain is real important as to the quality of the food.
                                                          Not too different than all the NY Pizzaria's in upstate, NY. Some are fantastic, others, not so good.

Catracks

• Total Posts: 196
                                                            • Location: Southern, CA
                                                            RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted Mon, 02/6/06 2:36 PM (permalink)
                                                            Italian roll or Sicilian loaf

Buon Gusto Salami
                                                            Copacolla
                                                            Pepperoni (occasionally)
                                                            Aged provelone or Cacciocavallo cheese

Hot Giardiniera or Extra virgin olive oil or nothing on it at all

Eat.

No damn vegetables (other than the Giardiniera). The thought of lettuce, tomato or ... pickles and olives on a Italian cold cut sandwich makes me a bit ill. Each to his/her taste though.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 103

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com