What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4534
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 14:47:34 (permalink)
Can we get back to the hoagies, and drop the spelling lesson debate?

Thankee :-)
divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 14:52:33 (permalink)
I like the hot peppers at potbelly sandwiches. A mix of pickled veggies.

Michael, you cited to someone's self titled picture on flickr? You let me down.
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 14:59:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Can we get back to the hoagies, and drop the spelling lesson debate?

Thankee :-)

sure:

Genoa Salame (or Sopressata)
Pepperoni (sandwich style)
Capicola (sometimes hot version)
Provolone
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion
Banana Peppers
Black Olives
Oil and vinegar
Oregano
Pepper (no salt, since there's salt already in the meats)
grated parmesan (I use the french spelling, since I don't require the cheese to actually be bonafide parmigiano-reggiano - but I do prefer to grate it myself, rather than use the Kraft version)

Of course, I'd eat several of the versions mention above. Variety is the spice of life!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 15:32:54 (permalink)
Genoa or hard salame(i)
capicolla
onions
Mortadella
vegetable oil ( I prefer it to olive oil here)
onions
red wine vinegar + minced garlic
onions
tomatoes
shredded lettuce
onions
Mediterranean oregano
Provolone
crushed red peppers
onions
seasoned salt and pepper (English Prime Rib Rub or Vulcan Fire Salt)
occasionally finely chopped olive salad ala a Muffaletta mix
onions
on a crunchy small Italian sub roll or a Mexican bollio

Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 15:35:13 (permalink)
you love those onions!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 19:56:17 (permalink)
OK. I'll give in to the ganging up. I have seen it spelled both ways for many, many years, and that includes in places where they ought to know. So, if everyone insists that I'm wrong I shall not continue as there seems not to be any point in doing so.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/11/16 21:15:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

you love those onions!

Mmmmmmmmmmm!
Coldwind
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/12/21 04:11:44 (permalink)

I knew a guy who grew up in West Philly, and he said you couldn't make a hoagie without Gabbagool and Goodageen (Capicola and Cotochino) -- I see plenty of Gabbagool, but no Goodageen mentioned here.

The hoagie was developed by Italian workmen in the late 19th Century. How difficult is it to imagine working men all over the country putting their favorite meats, cheeses, condiments, etc., on sliced bread? Of course it's a natural, and local special touches -- olives, toasting, lettuce & tomatoes -- will make the difference between a hoagie, a submarine, a grinder, a muffuletta.

What's important to realize is that 1. The hoagie came first, and 2. any differentiation from it is a sign of mental weakness and possibly criminal sexual deviation. And no mayonnaise on any of it.
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/12/29 02:56:13 (permalink)
For this: I know the reply is probably a bit slow, but many of the posters have the ideas about right, with the cold cuts. I like pepperoni on pizza, but not cold in a sub. That one needs to be hot.
I myself don't like bell peppers, I like pepperoncini.
I think you could put together a nice vinaigrette. With shallots, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, good salt and pepper, and a little bit of Coleman's dry mustard. Whisk it with vigor. And you could throw just a little cracked red pepper in the dressing, the type they hand out at pizza places in shakers.
Don't be stingy with the provolone.
I don't need tomato in there.
I actually do like something like iceberg, which stands up pretty well to the dressing, I like it sort of sliced finely (like about as narrow as you can, then tossed a little), not all chopped up. Romaine is a bit much, but red tip leaf lettuce is good, if you use the sturdier end. Use the softer end for a salad first if you like. You could throw in some mushroom of some kind, and definitely some chopped or sliced black olive. Maybe even a little green onion.
Good Luck!
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/12/29 08:31:26 (permalink)
Most recently:

MAYO
GENOA SALAMI
CAPICOLA
PROVALONE
SHREDDED LETTUCE
CHOPPED TOMATOES
WHITE ONIONS, HALVED AND SLICED
DILL PICKLE SLICES
SALT
PEPPER
HOT PEPPER RELISH
acer2x
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/12/29 09:03:25 (permalink)
Mayo doesn't work on an Italian hoagie. I prefer oil with oregano and the usual meats although most times I just go with cappicola and sharp provolone and sometimes slices of hot cherry peppers with the onions and tomatoes.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/12/29 09:12:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by acer2x

Mayo doesn't work on an Italian hoagie. I prefer oil with oregano and the usual meats although most times I just go with cappicola and sharp provolone and sometimes slices of hot cherry peppers with the onions and tomatoes.

Perhaps, but SWMBO likes them that way, and so that's how they get done, mostly. It's the way the nearby sub shop makes them.

Sometimes I sprinkle the veggies with red wine vinegar salad dressing.
LoveMyLab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2007/12/29 10:25:48 (permalink)
Slice individual sized italian bread.
Scoop out excess bread.
Grill green peppers and onions.
Fill with 3 or more meats, shredded cheese, olive pimento mix, italian dressing, jalapenos, add green peppers and onions, tomato, mayo, ranch dressing.
Coat with olive oil.
Grill on a Panini Press.

Nothing beats a homemade sub!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1