What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
BarbarainLH
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
  • Joined: 2005/12/10 19:58:00
  • Location: Laurel Hill, NC
  • Status: offline
2006/01/28 16:53:45 (permalink)

What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted

some ideas to make my own at home!!! Thanks for your help!!!
#1

102 Replies Related Threads

    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 17:43:36 (permalink)
    Pandora's box now opened.

    #2
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 18:20:05 (permalink)
    I begin by slicing the load in half lengthwise. I then scoop out a good amount of the crumb to make room for the meats, cheese, etc. I then brush (or shake) a good amount of olive oil on the cut and scooped sides of the bread and sprinkle it with oregano. On the bottom half of the loaf I put slices of Genoa salami, hot capacolla ham, mortadella, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper, onion slices, halved and pitted Kalamata olives, and then the top half of the bread. Then I eat.
    #3
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 18:34:37 (permalink)
    GREAT start, Michael. NO pepperoni (??)



    AND... Just curious. How far away are you from Lima, OH?
    #4
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Joined: 2005/11/30 08:54:00
    • Location: Marriottsville, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 19:10:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    I begin by slicing the load in half lengthwise. I then scoop out a good amount of the crumb to make room for the meats, cheese, etc. I then brush (or shake) a good amount of olive oil on the cut and scooped sides of the bread and sprinkle it with oregano. On the bottom half of the loaf I put slices of Genoa salami, hot capacolla ham, mortadella, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper, onion slices, halved and pitted Kalamata olives, and then the top half of the bread. Then I eat.


    Leave those onions off and I will join you in the next hour
    #5
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 20:08:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

    GREAT start, Michael. NO pepperoni (??)



    AND... Just curious. How far away are you from Lima, OH?

    No pepperoni, and I'm about 100 miles southeast of Lima.
    #6
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 20:09:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    I begin by slicing the load in half lengthwise. I then scoop out a good amount of the crumb to make room for the meats, cheese, etc. I then brush (or shake) a good amount of olive oil on the cut and scooped sides of the bread and sprinkle it with oregano. On the bottom half of the loaf I put slices of Genoa salami, hot capacolla ham, mortadella, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper, onion slices, halved and pitted Kalamata olives, and then the top half of the bread. Then I eat.


    Leave those onions off and I will join you in the next hour

    I'll leave the onions off yours. But tonight wouldn't be a good idea as I have no bread, no Genoa and no mortadella.
    #7
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 20:37:17 (permalink)
    I understand your predicament. I currently have no source for Genoa salami, hot capacolla ham, mortadella, or halved and pitted Kalamata olives. Life is a B.

    #8
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 21:04:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

    I understand your predicament. I currently have no source for Genoa salami, hot capacolla ham, mortadella, or halved and pitted Kalamata olives. Life is a B.



    Really? That's too bad. I have plenty of sources, I just happen to have run out of them.I'll get some more tomorrow.
    #9
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    • Joined: 2003/08/18 16:22:00
    • Location: wheaton, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 21:22:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    I begin by slicing the load in half lengthwise. I then scoop out a good amount of the crumb to make room for the meats, cheese, etc. I then brush (or shake) a good amount of olive oil on the cut and scooped sides of the bread and sprinkle it with oregano. On the bottom half of the loaf I put slices of Genoa salami, hot capacolla ham, mortadella, provolone cheese, roasted red pepper, onion slices, halved and pitted Kalamata olives, and then the top half of the bread. Then I eat.


    That sounds like a good sandwich. I prefer the sharp imported provolone, which is harder than the sliced provolone. And plentty of mortadella.
    #10
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    • Joined: 2005/09/18 09:58:00
    • Location: Westfield, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 21:53:20 (permalink)
    Ditto the way Mr. Hoffman suggests, but with the following amendments:

    I'll leave off the mortadella, add a little red wine vinegar and a sprinkle of black pepper, and instead of making it myself, I will leave that honor to Gus, proprietor of Hero King, 406 Market St, Newark, N.J., 07105 - (973) 344-2322.

    If you're ever near Penn Station, Newark, do yourself a solid and have one of his subs. Hero King is only about one long block away.
    He uses Cucuzella's Italian sub bread. It's my favorite in a field of very good breads in this region which includes: Calandra's, Paramount (all of Newark); Marie's in Hoboken, and Nicole's in Montclair, N.J.
    The Bear
    #11
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    • Joined: 2003/11/13 13:09:00
    • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/28 22:02:09 (permalink)
    Sharp provolone is good, as is oil and vinegar, instead of just oil, preferably with oregano and other appropriate spices soaking in it for a few days. In Philly, where they invented the thing, there's shredded lettuce and sliced tomatos, and no olives or roasted peppers. Hot peppers are optional. Pepperoni maybe. And good Italian bread, which, unfortunately, isn't available outside the East Coast sub/hoagie belt. Some places put mayo, but I never understood that. And a Philly person would not understand the concept of a "hot" (oven-heated) sub.
    #12
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    • Joined: 2003/04/08 18:07:00
    • Location: Rochester, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 00:01:07 (permalink)
    Looks like my version is a cross between Michael Hoffman's and Screenbear's. I get a nice french bread or baguette, slice it in half, and sprinkle on some olive oil/balsamic vinagrette dressing with the pepper, oregano, basil, and a little garlic already in it. I start with a few leaves of romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes and onions (lots of onions - yum), and if we have them, some roasted red peppers and I slice up some pitted kalamata olives.

    Now, drizzle some more of the dressing on those veggies, then add Genoa salami, capacolla, some turkey (my concession to fat reduction), and provolone cheese. Pour a beer or some ice tea and enjoy. I just had one of these for lunch today after shopping at the farmers market. Got the salami there for $3.00/lb, a good deal. Also picked up a dozen fresh oysters for $5 and had 8 of them for an appetizer. I'll enjoy the other 4 tomorrow.
    #13
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    • Joined: 2004/11/06 13:39:00
    • Location: Richmond, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 00:38:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

    Sharp provolone is good, as is oil and vinegar, instead of just oil, preferably with oregano and other appropriate spices soaking in it for a few days. In Philly, where they invented the thing, there's shredded lettuce and sliced tomatos, and no olives or roasted peppers. Hot peppers are optional. Pepperoni maybe. And good Italian bread, which, unfortunately, isn't available outside the East Coast sub/hoagie belt. Some places put mayo, but I never understood that. And a Philly person would not understand the concept of a "hot" (oven-heated) sub.


    Unless it's a meatball or sausage sub, it better not go near the oven. There's a local chain called Zero's (the name is apt) that puts everything in the oven, and I caused scandal on my first and only visit by screaming "What the &*%# are you DOING?!" when the countergirl tried doing that to my sandwich. Not that it tasted any better cold.

    Being a Jersey girl, the closest I can come to a somewhat decent sub is the local Jersey Mike's (I used to go to the original one in Point Pleasant NJ). Their bread is surprisingly good and on occasion I can get them to sell me a loaf, which I take home and fill with Boar's Head boiled ham, Genoa salami, provolone, shredded lettuce, tomato, oregano and oil and vinegar. Not quite the true sub experience, but close enough.
    #14
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 01:56:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

    Sharp provolone is good, as is oil and vinegar, instead of just oil, preferably with oregano and other appropriate spices soaking in it for a few days. In Philly, where they invented the thing, there's shredded lettuce and sliced tomatos, and no olives or roasted peppers. Hot peppers are optional. Pepperoni maybe. And good Italian bread, which, unfortunately, isn't available outside the East Coast sub/hoagie belt. Some places put mayo, but I never understood that. And a Philly person would not understand the concept of a "hot" (oven-heated) sub.

    The only part of your post with which I shall take issue at this point, although there's lots of stuff that needs it, is your absurd claim that the submarine sandwich was invented in Philadelphia. Lettuce and tomato on a sub, well, patently ridiculous. No olives, amazingly wrong. But it's the origination of the sublime submarine that needs to be addressed. It was in 1940 that workers at the Electric Boat Company and at the U.S. Navy submarine base in Groton, Connecticut used to order lunch from Benedetto Capaldo's grocery store in New London. Benedetto would make sandwiches of Genoa salami, provolone cheese, and other things, on loaves of Italian bread that were shaped in a way similar to submarines. The fact of the shape of the bread, coupled with the place they were going to be eaten, led to the name of those sandwiches being submarine sandwiches.
    #15
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    • Joined: 2003/11/13 13:09:00
    • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 02:04:24 (permalink)
    Whatever.
    #16
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    • Joined: 2003/08/18 16:22:00
    • Location: wheaton, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 02:43:18 (permalink)
    There's info on the origin of the Submarine sandwich here:

    http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HoagieSubmarinePoBoy.htm

    Has two possible origins, one in Paterson, NJ, and one in Groton. I've been to that facility several times on business.

    I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about what goes on a sub, as Hoffman infers.

    By the way, we have very good bread in the Chicago area- it's not just limited to the East Coast.
    #17
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    • Joined: 2005/02/06 00:08:00
    • Location: Sacramento, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 02:54:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

    Sharp provolone is good, as is oil and vinegar, instead of just oil, preferably with oregano and other appropriate spices soaking in it for a few days. In Philly, where they invented the thing, there's shredded lettuce and sliced tomatos, and no olives or roasted peppers. Hot peppers are optional. Pepperoni maybe. And good Italian bread, which, unfortunately, isn't available outside the East Coast sub/hoagie belt. Some places put mayo, but I never understood that. And a Philly person would not understand the concept of a "hot" (oven-heated) sub.


    They are often refered to as "Hoagies", I'm not sure if I can say they started in NJ, where I come from (near Philly), but they do have their roots in Philly.

    http://www.wawa.com/foodchoices/food-hoagiehistory.asp

    My Mom grew up in Paterson,NJ and she will argue that these types of sandwiches started there. I believe what one prefers on them is personal choice, but NO to the mayo, and heating them up, ewe.

    I only regret that such a decent sandwich is not available in the Sacramento area, and no decent Jewish deli's.

    Alas.....
    #18
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    • Joined: 2005/08/15 20:02:00
    • Location: Ipswich Ma
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 05:38:55 (permalink)
    I have to have mine with chopped hot peppers. When ordering here in the Boston area we refer to it as everything with or everything without. Chow Jim
    #19
    jellybear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1135
    • Joined: 2003/10/15 09:32:00
    • Location: surf city, NC
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 09:24:48 (permalink)
    Please dont tell me you put black olives on a sub!Can you say SUBWAY?
    #20
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 11:55:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear

    Please dont tell me you put black olives on a sub!Can you say SUBWAY?

    If that was directed at me, the answer is no, as I stated quite clearly in my post.
    #21
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 11:59:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps


    I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about what goes on a sub, as Hoffman infers.


    I did not imply that there are any rules -- hard, soft, fast or slow -- about what goes on a sub. I cannot imagine how it was possible for you to infer such a thing from what I posted. Someone asked for ideas about making subs at home. I merely posted what I put on mine.
    #22
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    • Joined: 2004/07/17 10:18:00
    • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 12:05:59 (permalink)
    For me a good Italian hero also has anchovies.
    #23
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    • Joined: 2003/08/18 16:22:00
    • Location: wheaton, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 12:53:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by saps


    I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about what goes on a sub, as Hoffman infers.


    I did not imply that there are any rules -- hard, soft, fast or slow -- about what goes on a sub. I cannot imagine how it was possible for you to infer such a thing from what I posted. Someone asked for ideas about making subs at home. I merely posted what I put on mine.


    Pretty easy to infer that-

    "No olives. Absolutely wrong"

    That would indicate that olives would be the correct way to make a sub.

    "Lettuce and tomato on a sub, well, patently ridiculous"

    You didn't say that was how you made yours. You just pointed out that those items were wrong or ridiculous. So it's pretty easy and logical to make that inference from your post.

    And while your pointing out what's wrong, you may note that there is another idea that the sub was invented in Paterson, NJ around 1910.

    I believe you mentioned in another thread that I had a comprehension problem. It must be catching.

    #24
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
    • Location: chicago, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 13:38:56 (permalink)
    LMAO
    #25
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 13:53:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by saps

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by saps


    I don't think that there are any hard and fast rules about what goes on a sub, as Hoffman infers.


    I did not imply that there are any rules -- hard, soft, fast or slow -- about what goes on a sub. I cannot imagine how it was possible for you to infer such a thing from what I posted. Someone asked for ideas about making subs at home. I merely posted what I put on mine.


    Pretty easy to infer that-

    "No olives. Absolutely wrong"

    That would indicate that olives would be the correct way to make a sub.

    "Lettuce and tomato on a sub, well, patently ridiculous"

    You didn't say that was how you made yours. You just pointed out that those items were wrong or ridiculous. So it's pretty easy and logical to make that inference from your post.

    And while your pointing out what's wrong, you may note that there is another idea that the sub was invented in Paterson, NJ around 1910.

    I believe you mentioned in another thread that I had a comprehension problem. It must be catching.



    First of all, I mistakenly thought your post referenced what I said in my first message that was a response to a query concerning the making of a submarine sandwich. However, in the post to which you apparently did refer I was speaking about the subs of Benedetto Capaldo when I said that about lettuce and tomatoes. The comment about no olives being wrong had to do with the fact that it is wrong to say there cannot be olives on a sub, not that there must be olives on a sub, or must not be olives on a sub. As to where the sub was invented, one could also point to the muffulette (not muffulleta), believed to have first been made in New Orleans in 1906 or 1908. However, I find the New London Sub base story the most likely in terms of origin.
    #26
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    • Joined: 2003/08/18 16:22:00
    • Location: wheaton, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 15:51:38 (permalink)
    I like the New London version better myself. Ill definitely bring that up when I'm at Electric Boat in May.
    #27
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18859
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/29 16:24:50 (permalink)
    Have you ever been to the museum at the base?
    #28
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Joined: 2005/11/30 08:54:00
    • Location: Marriottsville, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/30 10:33:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hoffman Michael

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
    The only part of your post with which I shall take issue at this point, although there's lots of stuff that needs it, is your absurd claim that the submarine sandwich was invented in Philadelphia. Lettuce and tomato on a sub, well, patently ridiculous. No olives, amazingly wrong. But it's the origination of the sublime submarine that needs to be addressed. It was in 1940 that workers at the Electric Boat Company and at the U.S. Navy submarine base in Groton, Connecticut used to order lunch from Benedetto Capaldo's grocery store in New London. Benedetto would make sandwiches of Genoa salami, provolone cheese, and other things, on loaves of Italian bread that were shaped in a way similar to submarines. The fact of the shape of the bread, coupled with the place they were going to be eaten, led to the name of those sandwiches being submarine sandwiches.

    Thanks for the history lesson Mr Know-It-All (shame it is wrong though) and thanks for the hard and fast rules for making a Sub.
    I will never again make a Sub incorrectly by putting lettuce and tomatoes on it as it is patently ridiculous. And I will always put olives on my sandwich, because I must immitate Subway and be in Hoffman's good graces.

    Hoffman reminds me of the jackass you find in every bar or tavern who has an opinion and a vast amount knowledge on every subject and loudly lets everyone know it, but in reality is just talking out his butt.



    I thought for sure that you must be a great admirer of his......because you certainly have copied his name! You happen to be the biggest blow-hard on these boards. Of course, I am fairly new so may have not met them all.
    #29
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    • Joined: 2005/05/11 17:51:00
    • Location: Bergen County, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: What do you put on your Italian Sub??? Just wanted 2006/01/30 10:49:59 (permalink)
    I much prefer to get my Italian Hero from a deli, where they have everything fresh and ready to go. I can't keep all those ingredients in my fridge.

    Bruno's Ravioli just opened a new location right by my apartment that makes unbelievably wonderful Italian subs. I like mine with cappy, mortadella, pepperoni, fresh mozz, roasted peppers, olive oil, oregano, black pepper. Never olives on mine! Their chewy, crusty bread is delightful.

    They have great cheeses, espresso and fresh pastas too.
    #30
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1