Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What do you take to Pot Luck?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 73
hefried

• Total Posts: 367
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 03/30/05 5:56 PM (permalink)
ps i like bbq potlucks where you hafto being something to throw on the grill and a side dish to share.... fun

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 03/30/05 6:06 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hefried

we love to bring funny things, like those little weenies in the grape jelly/ mustard concoction. people go nuts over " retro food" they love love love devilled eggs, meatballs.....
    if u can't cook ,bring cheeses and baguettes. or a variety of fresh and local salsa n chips. or there's always donut holes, kentucky fried chicken or popeyes... they always go fast .

Jeez, you just described 1/2 my family's diet. That's so cool. I didn't know we were retro.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
      RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 03/30/05 7:26 PM (permalink)
      hefried, would you be so kind as to tell us more about the "weenies in the grape jelly/mustard combination"? I've never heard of that.

1bbqboy

RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 03/30/05 7:41 PM (permalink)
        Michael,Though I haven't heard of the mustard part, a standard party dish I learned long ago was to combine a jar of grape jelly and a couple of packages of lil smokies cocktail weiners in a crock pot. I usually add a dash of red pepper sauce. That's it.
        We also have a family wild rice casserole, not quite as complex as yours, and from the other side of the river in Ft. Madison, Iowa. It was my submission to the Christmas cookbook; for our family it was always a holiday dish. It's in there somewhere.

nvb

• Total Posts: 468
          RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 03/31/05 8:58 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by michaelgemmell

hefried, would you be so kind as to tell us more about the "weenies in the grape jelly/mustard combination"? I've never heard of that.

Folks around here are using grape jelly and BBQ sauce. It ain't bad, either.

michaelgemmell

• Total Posts: 673
            RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 03/31/05 2:43 PM (permalink)
            I bought my microwave from Friedman's, and at the time they included free cooking classes. In one such class, they took grape jelly and chili sauce, half and half, and nuked it as a sauce for party meatballs. I'm still curious about the mustard.

Bill, this is the time of year for me when the Road is calling, calling calling. How cruel of you to make me think of Nauvoo again! One time years ago, my family wanted to take Aunt Catherine out for a noontime Sunday dinner. She had just been to the Hotel Nauvoo for dinner 2 nights before, and suggested we go to a hotel in Fort Madison. Uncle Louis was the coductor on the Super Chief, so she had a card so we wouldn't have to pay the toll on the Santa Fe bridge. It was the first time I had fried catfish, or, for that matter, ANY fresh fish. My family was appalled, but Aunt Catherine said, "Let me show you how to eat that. It's good here. Sit next to me!"

1bbqboy

RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 03/31/05 3:00 PM (permalink)
              Michael, Ft. Madison was the last duty stop on the Santa Fe for my Grandfather. He had worked his way up to Mechanical superintendent- Eastern Lines, meaning Chicago to Newton, Ks. His responsibilites included rating the train crews. My mom says he would get on the train and ride, watching the operations, making sure all was a pleasurable experience.I'm certain he must have known your Uncle, for those were the crews he rated.He chose to retire so he could return to KCK, rather than being bumped up to a VP position in Chicago. Small world indeed. Did you get a copy of the Roadfood Christmas Cookbook? It's in aPDF file which I have retained somewhere. I'll email it to you if you so desire.
              Bill
              PS: our wild rice recipe too came from a catfish shack that grandpa would take the "Chicago Bigwigs" to when they came to town craving catfish.

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
                RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 04/15/05 4:35 AM (permalink)
                It is kind of funny how you get known for a particular dish at Potlucks. Where I work, we do at least one potluck a month. In order to make sure that we have enough dishes in the various catagories we do a sign up sheet. You sign up for a main dish, vegetable or casserole, salad, or dessert. For me, it has come to the point that I dont even see the sign up sheet anymore. A couple of years ago, I took my Red, White, and Blue Jello Salad and now I am not allowed to bring anything else. Simple, but it takes a little time.

Red, White, and Blue Jello Salad

Ingrediant List

4 packages Red Raspberry Jello
                2 package Unflavored Gelatin
                1 package Cream Cheese
                1 Pint Half and Half or Heavy cream
                1 1/2 cups Sugar
                2 teaspoons Vanilla
                1 can Oregon Blueberries in Heavy Syrup
                1 can Oregon Red Raspberries in Heavy Syrup

1. Combine 3 cups Hot Water with 2 packages Red Raspberry Jello, allow to cool to room temperature and add the canned Raspberries with the Syrup. Mix, pour into Mold, and Refrigerate.

2. Dissolve the 2 packages Unflavored Gelatin in 1 cup of Hot Water. Allow to Cool 15 - 20 minutes. Add the Cream Cheese, Half and Half or Cream, Vanilla, Sugar, and the Jello Water to a Blender. Blend until Smooth. Pour on top of Raspberries when it has set.

3. Repeat Step 1 using the Bluberries.

If you use a Jello Mold, you get a nice patriotic themed salad, but for a potluck just make it in a large casserole dish. For Diabetics, you can cut the amount of sugar by using Sugar Free Jello and Splenda. It tastes great, but I don't understand peoples fascination with it.

Chris

Lavanda

• Total Posts: 111
                  RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 04/21/05 9:51 PM (permalink)
                  At work I was always the "instigator" of potlucks, and now I still go to many.

I have seen the cocktail weenies done several ways with the grape jelly, and mustard is undectable but gives it a good flavor. Some do them just with BBQ sauce also.

For work, anything done in a crockpot is wonderful because it can cook all morning. The aroma DOES tend to disrupt some, though, but in a nice way!

I often make real Mexican rice, or sammiches made from cooked bacon, cream cheese, green onions, and a few surprise ingredients. Never have any left to bring home!

When I am lazy, I go to Church's chicken and buy honey biscuits. I call ahead to order and tell them to make sure you can actually TELL they are drizzled with honey.

When we have potlucks at church our dear retired bishop emeritus would have the secretary order Pizza, his favorite!

And Marie (RIP) always owuld make the asparacus casserole. That is the only way I can stomach asparagus!

I also do a crockpot thang with ground beef, which I cook and drain before heading to work, then at work, fire up the cp and add 2 cans Rotel (with the cilantro/ blue label), two cans cream of chicken soup, two cans cream of shroom soup, minced fresh garlic, and let it cook al morning with the meat.

About 20 mins before serving time, add about a pound or two of grated cheese, and lots of Nacho cheesier Doritos.

It is sorta like cheater's King Ranch Casserole, because I refuse to cook and hand-bone enough chicken to feed that many.

Oh, and not necessarily for potluck, but just as a treat for employees, I woud sometimes buy a byncha huge, ripe aguacates (avocados) (back when they were not so 'spensive) and make a huge bowl of guac with Fritos scoops.

Are ya hungreeee yet?

andypants

• Total Posts: 18
                    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Mon, 05/16/05 10:49 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by cindyloo

In my experience, you can't go wrong with deviled eggs at a potluck. People love them, and not many people make them just to enjoy at home. I like to add a little bit of horseradish to the filling. Yummy!

There's a place in the municipal market I usually go to for lunch
                    that makes them that way. Deviled eggs with horseradish don't taste quite right to me. Just my opinion.

I usually make hot wings for pot-lucks (oven-baked and coated with bottled barbecue sauce, sriracha or other Asian chili sauce [Yeo's is best], and vinegar), sometimes I make marinated 'shrooms or Rotini Ascesso (rotini in sebaceous sauce ), so-called because of all the stinky Romano cheese I use. FOr the sauce I usually use a good Caesar salad dressing: Ken's, Gazebo Room Greek salad drssing, or even Giant brand (olive oil, not creamy).

I like rotini, they hold sauce well and are hard to overcook.

Bonzmoose

• Total Posts: 44
                      RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Tue, 05/17/05 12:07 AM (permalink)
                      One of the ladies I worked with brought the following super easy dessert/salad to most of our office potlucks and there was never any leftovers.
                      1 CAN PEACH PIE FILLING
                      1 CAN CHUNK PINEAPPLE, DRAINED
                      3 SLICED BANANAS
                      ½ PKG FROZEN UNSWEETENED WHOLE STRAWBERRIES, THAWED
                      1 SMALL CAN MANDARINE ORANGES, DRAINED

MIX CONTENTS TOGETHER AND REFRIGERATE. Serves 10 to 12.

txtwister

• Total Posts: 259
                        RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 05/18/05 7:40 PM (permalink)
                        No matter what, I'm expected to provide "sausage balls" made with roughly 2lbs pork breakfast sausage, about 2 cups shredded cheddar, and maybe two cups of "biscuit mix." Mix, form into walnut size balls, and bake for about 30 minutes. There're probably recipes listed at allrecipes.com for this - it's absurd that there are NEVER any left, no matter if you double or triple the recipe. (My favorite variation is to use bulk pork Italian sausage, a mix of mozzarella and cheddar plus a drizzle of EVOO as the biscuit mix needs the oil to bind to, the biscuit mix, and roll each ball in parmesean before baking. Sausage balls are also a must on Christmas Day for us - easy to prep ahead and bake as needed.

Cribbage Fiend

• Total Posts: 17
                          RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 05/18/05 8:01 PM (permalink)
                          When I have time I make Vietnamese Spring Rolls. They're cold, they have lots of colors from vegetables. They're low in fat and disappear before I blink.

I agree with the devilled eggs because they are only eaten at parties, they're always a treat. (I dunno, can you think of a time that you made devilled eggs for just a meal at home?) But I don't use horseradish. I use crumbled bacon.

And for misbehaving parties, I have been known as the purveyor of jello shots:
                          lime with tequila = margarita
                          orange with vodka = screwdrivers
                          fruit punch with rum = island punch
                          cranberry with vodka and lime juice = cape codders

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                            RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/14/05 1:55 AM (permalink)
                            Here's a nice bring-food I learned from my Northern Italian grandmother:

Slice a few juicy oranges; pour a good helping of Marsala wine over them. Add a few maraschino cherries, and some sugar. Let sit overnight in the fridge.

We had these every holiday meal and I loved them ...easy, pretty. nice as a gift.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                              RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/14/05 10:24 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Bonzmoose

One of the ladies I worked with brought the following super easy dessert/salad to most of our office potlucks and there was never any leftovers.
                              1 CAN PEACH PIE FILLING
                              1 CAN CHUNK PINEAPPLE, DRAINED
                              3 SLICED BANANAS
                              ½ PKG FROZEN UNSWEETENED WHOLE STRAWBERRIES, THAWED
                              1 SMALL CAN MANDARINE ORANGES, DRAINED

MIX CONTENTS TOGETHER AND REFRIGERATE. Serves 10 to 12.

I do a similar fruit salad, but with the following differences:
                              Use Apple Pie Filling (large 28oz can) instead of peach, fresh quartered strawberries instead of frozen, and replace the banana with halved seedless grapes. Be sure and cut down any large pieces of apple so that it is bite-sized. Very nice fruit salad!

pcdiva

• Total Posts: 591
                                RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/14/05 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                I always bring hash brown casserole similar to Cracker Barrel's. It's the only dish that I never have leftovers.

in a 4qt slow cooker combine: (half the recipe for a 9*13 pan to bake at 350 for about 45 minutes)
                                2 pkgs shredded "Simply Potatoes" refrigerated hash browns (also good w/the O'brian cubed potates)
                                1 cup finely chopped onion
                                16 oz sour cream
                                2 cans cream of chicken soup
                                2 t. seasoned salt (I like Natures Seasons)
                                2 cups shredded sharp cheddar or colby cheese
                                big splash of Worcestershire sauce
                                dash of tobasco sauce

I mix everything directly in the crock. (I start w/ the soup, sour cream, & seasonings, then the onions, then the cheese, then the potatoes)
                                Cook at high for 4 hours then turn to low until serving time. YUM!!!! and so easy

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
                                  RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/14/05 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                  I usually bring, garbage bread which for some reason or another I always am asked to bring. I have also taken Potato Pancakes many times they also get a warm welcome as well. I make a mean Chocolate Chip Cookie as well always a crowd pleaser.

CarolinaBill

• Total Posts: 207
                                    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/14/05 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                    Agree with you on the Simply Potatoes casserole, PC diva....I take that one to picnics all of the time and it's a "can't miss" hit every time. Love the fact that it's so simple.

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
                                      RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/14/05 11:22 PM (permalink)
                                      I take some pasta salad or something like that. Or I go to work and pick 5 items for $5.95 and bring like 5 onion petals 5 mozzarella sticks and 5 jalapeno bites.I get invited to alot of pot lucks when I do this.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 888
                                        RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 07/15/05 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                        Mmmm. Deep-fried troll...

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
                                          RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 07/15/05 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                          I always bring a dessert item. Sides are not my specialty. Cookies, usually bar cookies, with chocolate and nuts usually get people's attention. Brownies are avoided as they are over done at these events.

Caramel Copper

• Total Posts: 66
                                            RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 07/15/05 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by pcdiva

I always bring hash brown casserole similar to Cracker Barrel's. It's the only dish that I never have leftovers.

in a 4qt slow cooker combine: (half the recipe for a 9*13 pan to bake at 350 for about 45 minutes)
                                            2 pkgs shredded "Simply Potatoes" refrigerated hash browns (also good w/the O'brian cubed potates)
                                            1 cup finely chopped onion
                                            16 oz sour cream
                                            2 cans cream of chicken soup
                                            2 t. seasoned salt (I like Natures Seasons)
                                            2 cups shredded sharp cheddar or colby cheese
                                            big splash of Worcestershire sauce
                                            dash of tobasco sauce

I mix everything directly in the crock. (I start w/ the soup, sour cream, & seasonings, then the onions, then the cheese, then the potatoes)
                                            Cook at high for 4 hours then turn to low until serving time. YUM!!!! and so easy

NOW I'M HONGRY!
                                            I could eat potatoes three times a day, love'em, love'em LOVE'EM!
                                            Thanks, pcdiva, I have bookmarked this recipe.
                                            Copper

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                              RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 07/15/05 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                              The first time I made this, I actually roasted corn on the grill and cut the kernels off, now I buy a bag of Trader Joe's Roasted corn. Everyone seems to love this:

Roasted Corn, Black Bean and Mango Salad

1 tbsp oil
                                              2 garlic cloves
                                              3 cups corn kernels
                                              2 cups diced peeled mango
                                              1 cup chopped red onion
                                              1 cup chopped red bell pepper
                                              1/3 cup lime juice
                                              3 tbsp chopped cilantro
                                              1/2 tsp salt
                                              1 drained canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
                                              2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
                                              8 cups mixed salad greens

Heat oil in a large skillet, cook garlic 30 seconds then stir in corn until browned, about 8 minutes. Put corn in large mixing bowl and add all ingedients except the salad greens. Stir well. Serve mixture over greens on individual plates.

Most times when I make this, I skip the greens, makes a great salsa without them.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 07/15/05 1:45 PM (permalink)

Pogophile- Deep-fried Troll seems to be appearing more often these days. Maybe we need to turn up the temperature of the oil used to 'brown' it. I will investigate!!

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
                                                  RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Thu, 07/21/05 12:16 AM (permalink)
                                                  Pasta salad,mozarella sticks,jalapeno bites,and onion petals. Though I must say I try to scarf down the cheese sticks before the other guest get to them.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Fri, 07/22/05 2:17 AM (permalink)
                                                    Thank you Fast Food for an on=topic post.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                                                      RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 08/3/05 7:15 AM (permalink)
                                                      Hello all. For potlucks or family gatherings, I am ordered to make deviled eggs. I don't use horseradish, but instead, I put a dab of horseradish sauce in the white host and then the yellow filling. The fear of failure has made me resent making deviled eggs.
                                                      Other potluck favorites I like to make depend on the season or event. In the summer, I like to make pork and beans, with strips of bacon and chopped onions. I chopped the onions in big pieces because I cannot eat onions, but love the flavor that seeps into the bean sauce. Big pieces can be brushed to the side. Green beans that we have canned from our garden and cooked with ham is always a favorite, and of course baked macaroni and cheese, made from scratch and not a box. I try to bake it so it has a crusty top, and creamy insides. Take care.

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                                                        • Location: New York City, NY
                                                        RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 08/3/05 8:14 AM (permalink)
                                                        At picnics for various functions, one of my aunts would make one of the most delicious cold salads, that would always go over big...it was a cold shrimp pasta salad, but she would always use the canned, tiny shrimps, and the smallest shell pasta that you could purchase...combined with Hellman's mayonnaise, finely diced celery and onion, and you have a wonderful combination of textures and flavors, and plus, it looks good, too.

Browniebaker

• Total Posts: 40
                                                          • Location: Gaithersburg, MD
                                                          RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 08/3/05 9:04 AM (permalink)
                                                          People like familiar food at potlucks. My two favorite things to bring are macaroni and cheese, and PB&J brownies.

The PB& J brownies were a big hit at the last potluck; everyone else brought chocolate brownies. I simply substitute smooth peanut butter for the butter in my favorite chcoclate brownie recipe, omit the chocolate, spread 3/4 batter in the pan, dollop in strawberry or raspberry jam , dollop in remaining 1/4 batter, and marbleize the top by swirling a knife through the batter.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                                                            • Location: Gastonia, NC
                                                            RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? Wed, 08/3/05 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                                            Out of habit, I almost always take deviled eggs. They always go well.
                                                            And most of the time, I make my Chocolate Eclair Dessert. It always gets gone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 73

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com