What do you take to Pot Luck?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/08/03 14:54:12 (permalink)
I know it sounds a bit different but I make pickle rollups.

Get some deli meat, i.e., ham and/or turkey. Press between paper towels to remove any moisture. Also, drain dill pickle spears (or whole dill pickles) and dry well on paper towels. Liberally spread garden vegetable cream cheese over meat slices. Place a pickle in each slice and roll up. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, slice the rolls into bite sized pieces and secure the meat to the pickle with toothpicks.

These always disappear and they are quite easy to make. There is no pan to take back home so clean up is minimal; just throw a paper plate away.
kathy_in_wlsv
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 104
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/05 12:49:38 (permalink)
I usually take a big batch of my baked beans, with weiners. Sometimes I will make a big vat of ambrosia and take that.

When it's a family potluck, my contribution is invariably a bread bowl with chipped beef dill dip, a shrimp cocktail dip, a crudites platter, home made salsa, and a cheese and cracker board. ( I do the nibbles for the afternon before we eat.)
DanCeee
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/05 13:30:32 (permalink)
KimChee haha you made me crack up because something like that happened at my church. This lady brought some food and it looked delicious! So everyone took like 4 each!! Saying how good those were!! And right as everyone took one bite each there faces turned soo haha i dont even know how to explain it. But simply said they were hard and bad i guess you could say... my dad didn't get any though because when he went to the restroom he tried one and he was the 1st to find out how bad they were haha... it was funny that you reminded me of it =)
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/06 16:33:47 (permalink)
yesterdays labor day picnic was at my sons home with all his in-laws, the 5+lbs of taco salad didn't last long nor did the darkly browned saurkraut with diced apples, many swearing they hated saurkraut "But this is great"
emsmom
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/07 11:34:59 (permalink)
I've done asparagus roll ups like this also. I spread the ham with cream cheese and add a spear of canned asparagus and roll up and cut into several pieces. These goes well also
quote:
Originally posted by HotDogHead

I know it sounds a bit different but I make pickle rollups.

Get some deli meat, i.e., ham and/or turkey. Press between paper towels to remove any moisture. Also, drain dill pickle spears (or whole dill pickles) and dry well on paper towels. Liberally spread garden vegetable cream cheese over meat slices. Place a pickle in each slice and roll up. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, slice the rolls into bite sized pieces and secure the meat to the pickle with toothpicks.

These always disappear and they are quite easy to make. There is no pan to take back home so clean up is minimal; just throw a paper plate away.

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1354
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/07 14:21:45 (permalink)
Dreamzpainter, tell me more about the sourkraut. That sounds really good. How do you do it?
dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/07 15:05:46 (permalink)
its as quick and easy as it sounds, heat a cast iron skillet, drain saurkraut and dump in skillet along with one or 3 diced apples, stir every couple minutes till med-dark brown
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/08 13:52:36 (permalink)
I usually make a 5 lbs patch of my (buffalo) wings. And bring blue cheese dressing. As far as the dressing, I have decided to use Roka Blue Cheese Dressing in a squeeze bottle, this way people can squeeze out how much they want, instead of providing a spoon with the dressing in a bowl..which usually ended up in a big mess.

Even though it's against my own chicken wing philosophy, I have occasionally (for large parties) made one 4 lbs batch of Buffalo wings, and one 4 lbs batch of Roasted Garlic Honey (from Dinosaur BBQ) Chicken Wings.

I hate to admit that, but it's true...I did make non-Buffalo style wings. (they went fast thought!)

Sandy Eggo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/08 14:15:33 (permalink)
I like to take easy safe stuff like... beer, they never complain. OK, seriously, get some good Louisiana Hot Links and some BBQ sauce and put them in a cerock pot (slow cooker). Take along long tooth picks or plastic forks. Also guacamole and chips is another favorite.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1161
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/09/27 17:51:51 (permalink)
Getting great ideas and recipes from here. I belong to a monthly book club that combines a potluck dinner. It's mostly women, who don't go for the heavier dishes like ziti or chili.

I've learned that the dishes can be very rich, but if they include vegetables in them, they go over well, some which include:

spinach-artichoke dip with tortilla chips
spinach lasagna
spinach Madeline (just creamed spinach on the spicy side)
carrot souffle
Duncan Hines yellow (butter) cake mix with homemade chocolate icing
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/10/01 17:17:58 (permalink)
We keep chickens so deviled eggs are always at the top of the list. Chickens are like the walking version of squash...always got eggs to give away or are looking for any excuse to use them.

We raise four to five thousand pounds of asparagus a year but that is a seasonal thing. Always got a few cases of dilly pickled asparagus if we're in a rush for something for the church.

blohatchii
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/10/01 17:49:48 (permalink)
kathy_in_wslv

Would you mind sharing how you make your shrimp cocktail dip
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13481
RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/10/01 18:52:12 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by V960

We keep chickens so deviled eggs are always at the top of the list. Chickens are like the walking version of squash...always got eggs to give away or are looking for any excuse to use them.

We raise four to five thousand pounds of asparagus a year but that is a seasonal thing. Always got a few cases of dilly pickled asparagus if we're in a rush for something for the church.

You sound like a pretty good farmer to me. I wish you were my neighbor with all those eggs to dispose of. I could use a few pounds of that asparagus that you have.

Sounds good to me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1