What do you take to Pot Luck?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
2005/03/23 16:43:14 (permalink)

What do you take to Pot Luck?

We're going to church pot luck tomorrow night. What sides do you usually take to these type pf things that go over well? Last time we took homemade macaroni salad with fresh peppers, onions, and sliced blocked cheddar cheese and it did not go over so well even though it is excellent. I'm thinking of doing crock pot baked beans that we'll cook overnight. My understanding is the meat is being provided, and we're just to bring sides. Hells bells what goes over best and is something not everyone brings?

Andrea

72 Replies Related Threads

KimChee43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 17:04:46 (permalink)
    People "feast with their eyes first", especially at a potluck or bake sale. Usually, the items that "look good" go pretty fast, even though they might not taste all that great.

I would think that it wouldn't matter what side you brought, as long as it looked good to the eye, so you could focus on using an attractive serving dish for starters. Then, maybe some garnish, etc.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 17:07:56 (permalink)
    I think mostly people like what's familiar--lasagna, mac and cheese, baked beans. It has to look good, of course. Sometimes, though, if it's too pretty, no one wants to touch it!
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 17:23:48 (permalink)
    In my experience, you can't go wrong with deviled eggs at a potluck. People love them, and not many people make them just to enjoy at home. I like to add a little bit of horseradish to the filling. Yummy!

Cindy
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 17:25:24 (permalink)
    The ONE thing that i never have to bring any leftovers home when i bring it to a pot luck is CORNBREAD---i do one with corn and peppers and cheeseor what ever mixed in---cut it in big hunks and PILE it (so you can see the goodies in the mix) NEXT to the beans etc---it dissapears!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4136
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 17:28:00 (permalink)
    My two favorites are chili (although as a side you could just make a pot of "chili beans") and mixed berry/rhubarb cobbler. That always goes fast and can be easily made with bags of frozen fruit. Crock pot beans are an excellent choice. Have fun!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4651
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 17:40:26 (permalink)
    We have made wontons for these things and they seem to satisfy. If you can get the prepackaged wonton skins, a bag of coleslaw and some glass or rice noodles, you're there. I add garlic, chopped green onions, a dash of rice vinegar and chili oil, pinch of dry mustard, and whatever else we decide on at the time. Fry 'em up and take 'em in.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/23 23:13:02 (permalink)
    I usually bring make-ahead salads to potlucks, anything that can be made the day before and sit in the fridge til the next day.

My three favorites are from allrecipes.com - Deep Dish Layered Salad, Buitoni's Garden Pasta Salad, Sesame Pasta Chicken Salad.

They all taste better after a night in the fridge, have been popular at my potlucks, and even if there are leftovers to bring back home they are still yummy the next day.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 03:36:35 (permalink)
    I'm a terrible cook. I bring potato chips.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 06:19:51 (permalink)
    i usually bring a big pan of baked ziti or mastacolli as some call it ( to me it's the same thing just different name) or i will sometimes bring a nacho dip kind of thing with chips or dump cake.. that's always a winner and one of the easiest things to make.... :)
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 07:54:15 (permalink)
    Scalloped potatoes with ham or spinach pie
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 08:14:15 (permalink)
    I usually take a big platter of carrot and celery sticks with dip, a carrot casserole with croutons on top, or a tray of roasted asparagus spears.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 11:12:13 (permalink)
    I've decided to go with the cornbread suggestion! I bought two bags of Martha White sweet cornbread mix and jazzed it up with jalapenos, minced onions, corn, sharp cheddar cheese, and spices and we'll see how it goes! It is in the oven now. My neighbor is bringing a spinach salad, which I think will go over as well. I enjoy potlucks, but I don't know why people didn't go for the macaroni salad last time --- maybe they were wary of the mayonaisse!

Andrea
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 11:32:05 (permalink)
    Lately I've been taking Pat Conroy's pickled shrimp, from his 2004 cookbook. He takes it to wakes, but it's just as good with no dead folks around. I took it to a birthday dinner and a meeting of the local historical society, and the dish was cleaned out quickly both times. You make it a day ahead and serve it at room temperature.

Fred Sauceman
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 12:56:53 (permalink)
    RRRRRRRofl with Mr Chips!!! My "Yankee" cornbread generally disappears quick. I use 2 boxes of jiffy corn muffin mix leaving out half the milk, presoak 1 1/2 cups quick oats in the remaining milk and eggs, 2 cups p-nut butter, 4 tblespns honey and a small can of drained pineapple chunks or peaches (strawberry jam also works)pour in a large cassorle dish and bake in a water bath until golden and a toothpick comes out clean (about an hr)
    Another hit is "taco salad" I brown 3 pounds of groundbeef with onions and peppers add a couple packs of taco seasoning then half a small bottle of each catalina and french salad dressing (maybe a little more catalina depending on dryness) a large block of cheddar and montery jack cubed and 1-2 large bags of dorito's crumbled, dot the top with sour cream or pipe a design and sprinkle with green onions or chives
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 13:29:16 (permalink)
    Back when I was still cooking, I'd make a big broccoli casserole, and also a big chocolate pan eclair. The eclair was made with graham crackers, jello pudding, cool whip, and canned Duncan Hines fudge frosting - very simple, but people always asked me to bring it, and none of it was ever left.

I read about another very simple dish on another website that went over real well at Thanksgiving. You just put a bag of frozen corn and a block of cream cheese in the crock pot and cook it for about an hour. It's very easy, and just a little bit different.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 16:02:56 (permalink)
    Andrea, in my family we don't let how other people react to our contributions concern us. It all started with my paternal grandfather. Dad explained that they'd take a cake with blue frosting. Yes, blue! Not too deeply tinted, as that would make the frosting bitter. Still only those who knew their family well would indulge in Grandma's delicious if odd-looking cake. All the more for the Gemmells, of which there were 11 at the time. Grampa would go through the potluck first. If he didn't take something from a dish, that meant Gramma felt the contributor's kitchen was insufficiently clean and the children were not to take from that dish. Fortunately, no one else figured out what they were doing--or did they? I've told you all about the KKK burning a cross in their yard. Ostensibly that was because Gramma and children (oh, no, not Grampa!) were Catholics.

About 25 years ago I took my special wild rice casserole to a (I'm not making this up, you know!) bluegrass potluck outdoor wedding. When my late partner, Glen, went to pick up the dish at the end, several ladies ganged up on him and said "You're not going ANYWHERE until we get the recipe!" Glen hollered for me, and I accommodated their "request." Nowadays I bring my own carrot cake. Despite the black specks in the frosting (vanilla seed), I seldom get any to take home. At least I don't still dye the frosting blue!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 17:44:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

About 25 years ago I took my special wild rice casserole to a (I'm not making this up, you know!) bluegrass potluck outdoor wedding. When my late partner, Glen, went to pick up the dish at the end, several ladies ganged up on him and said "You're not going ANYWHERE until we get the recipe!"

ok Michael---so lets have the recipe if its THAT good!!
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 17:45:09 (permalink)
    Being a BBQ restaurant owner I never get to decide what I'll be bringing. I'm always told. Fine with me because they can eat the BBQ and I get to eat something different.
    Martha-Girl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 18:18:19 (permalink)
    Loved by kids and adults and shamefully easy to make is Chocolate Trifle:

One box fudge brownie mix, cooked according to package directions in a 13 x 9 inch pan. Prick top with a fork all over and pour 1/2 cup of Kahlua over the entire pan. Let cool, then crumble. Prepare 3 packages (3.9 oz) of instant chocolate pudding according to package directions, omitting the cooling. Either crush 6 (1.4 oz) Heath bars or have an 8 oz bag of Heath Bits handy as well as a 12 oz container of Cool Whip. Layer 1/3 the brownies in the bottom of a trifle dish, top with 1/3 the pudding, then 1/3 the Cool Whip and then 1/3 the candy. Repeat layers, ending with the candy. This needs to chill about 8 hours before serving. I make it the night before for an afternoon event or first thing in the morning if the party's in the evening.

It looks lovely, tastes great and has made me the favorite of team parties & family reunions.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 21:15:38 (permalink)
    Tiki, here's the version for someone like you that knows what you're doing:

Buy wild rice, not some blend, as wild rice is not rice, it's a grain and can never be cooked successfully with any kind of rice. Never boil it, steep it in several chages of boiled water for about 20 minutes per change, until about 1/3 of the kernels are curled open. Boiling it is unneccessarily risky as it goes from underdone to mushy in a moment or two. When it's cooked, drain well and add sautéed mushrooms, stir-fried chicken (unless you're serving it with poultry) and pecans. Bind with a rich cream sauce seasoned well (that rice is still bland) with salt, pepper and allspice. I also sometimes add lorraine cheese to that sauce. Pack into a well-buttered baking dish. At this point it can be held in the fridge. Top with bread crumbs, butter the crumbs, and bake until it's browned and bubbly. I put foil on the top for the first part of baking if it's cold from the fridge. My mom stole this recipe from a dish we were served at the Hotel Nauvoo (IL) in the 1960s. Also, that's James Beard's method of cooking wild rice.

Forgive the preachy sounding wild rice comments. It's quite inedible in those blends, however, and I want you all to LOVE wild rice as much as I do. It's another Taste Of My Childhood, after all, and many of you know what I mean by that.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/24 22:04:57 (permalink)
    Some of these ideas sound delicious. However, if your looking to be popular try pepperoni hot dish. Make a hotdish out of a tomato sauce, big egg noodles (kluski is the brand I use) hamburger, pepperoni and some cheese. Not sophisticated, but yours will be the first gone. Everyone loves pepperoni!
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2042
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/25 15:09:04 (permalink)
    Lasagna with a very thick sauce (and not much) so that it doesn't get runny as served. Serve sauce on the side for people to put on AFTER the serving is on their plate. A loose lasagna goes well for the first few folks that serve themselves, but then as another poster says, it can lose it's eye appeal fast. I also use extra cheese and add Jack cheese because Jack gets firm at a lower temp and sort of holds the whole thing together. I also don't use meat, so that vegetarians can eat it. I usually use a layer of broccoli and a layer of sauted mushrooms. Seafood newburg is also popular if the crowd is small enough that I can afford to make it. My middle daughter made a great stuffed zuchinni dish this week with small store bought fruit. I plan to make that and bring it to my mom's house for Easter. When I think stuffed zuchinni I think of those oversized good for nothing fruit that my parents and their friends dropped off at each others houses during my youth. That is why I have not eaten stuffed zuchinni for years. I have been missing out. Small tender zuchinni stuffed with good stuff is great. It is also very attractive in the serving tray. I worry about pot luck. So many people today can't cook, and half of the other half try to "use up" junk from the back of the refrigerator. Sort of to expand on what Mike said, if the family of the person ain't eaten what she brung, you shouldn't either.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/25 18:45:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Tiki, here's the version for someone like you that knows what you're doing:

Buy wild rice, not some blend, as wild rice is not rice, it's a grain and can never be cooked successfully with any kind of rice. Never boil it, steep it in several chages of boiled water for about 20 minutes per change, until about 1/3 of the kernels are curled open. Boiling it is unneccessarily risky as it goes from underdone to mushy in a moment or two. When it's cooked, drain well and add sautéed mushrooms, stir-fried chicken (unless you're serving it with poultry) and pecans. Bind with a rich cream sauce seasoned well (that rice is still bland) with salt, pepper and allspice. I also sometimes add lorraine cheese to that sauce. Pack into a well-buttered baking dish. At this point it can be held in the fridge. Top with bread crumbs, butter the crumbs, and bake until it's browned and bubbly. I put foil on the top for the first part of baking if it's cold from the fridge. My mom stole this recipe from a dish we were served at the Hotel Nauvoo (IL) in the 1960s. Also, that's James Beard's method of cooking wild rice.

Forgive the preachy sounding wild rice comments. It's quite inedible in those blends, however, and I want you all to LOVE wild rice as much as I do. It's another Taste Of My Childhood, after all, and many of you know what I mean by that.

Cool Michael---sounds really good!!!and fit into the Wole First Nations Cuisine project i am working on---(i will fill in some details on this project later) You are now copied into my MasterCook "Roadfood" cookbook and immortalized! Thanks!
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/28 20:52:32 (permalink)
    I make this all the time and it's the first thing to dissapear.

Drain the liquid from two large cans of Bush baked beans with brown sugar and onion, place in a large oven proof dish.
    add one small onion, small dice.
    two granny smith apples, peeled, cored and diced to small chunks.
    one pound of mild sausage, crumbled, browned and drained of all fat.
    cook at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes, or until the mixture is hot and bubbly.
    yum yum.

If you want to make something cold, i often cook a small package of pasta shells, al dente, don't let them get mushy.
    while they drain and cool, chop very fine, a quarter cup onion, one medium tomato, and half of a medium peeled cucumber.
    add this to the cooled pasta, along with two cans of tuna fish, very well drained of liquid, one cup of frozen peas, and enough mayo or miracle whip, your choice, to make it nine and moist.
    cover and chill at least two hours. the longer the better.
    serve in lettuce cups. easy and cheap.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/28 21:20:04 (permalink)
    I'm surprised no one mentioned green bean casserole.

We had a potluck after church on Easter and there must have been 5 stratas/quiches, all pretty much the same.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4651
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/28 22:05:22 (permalink)
    Carl, that's why I always try to make something crunchy or crisp. Most pot lucks seem to be pretty creamy. I like to take a contrasting texture to these wing dings.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/28 22:28:02 (permalink)
    There's one item that always goes over big at a church potluck: a bucket of KFC! And it's always the first thing to disappear! Since most people can't cook, I always pray that someone brings the KFC. You have to make sure you get to the head of the line because it goes fast. Had a church potluck last week. There was no KFC and the food was so scary looking, that I ended up going out to eat afterwards.
    jamesb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/28 23:32:06 (permalink)
    Dessert. You can never go wrong bringing dessert. Sometimes, just some homemade cookies, maybe chocolate chip or Russian tea cookies. If I have the time,(and it really doesn't take much time) I'll make a shoo fly pie. A little different for most people since I live in Oregon, but I've definitely convinced a few people over the years and is now my expected contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner extravaganza I attend every year. JAMESB
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: What do you take to Pot Luck? 2005/03/30 17:52:55 (permalink)
    we love to bring funny things, like those little weenies in the grape jelly/ mustard concoction. people go nuts over " retro food" they love love love devilled eggs, meatballs.....
    if u can't cook ,bring cheeses and baguettes. or a variety of fresh and local salsa n chips. or there's always donut holes, kentucky fried chicken or popeyes... they always go fast .
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1