What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better?

Author
tedsan64
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/11/05 08:58:31 (permalink)

What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better?

I'm researching how well sites like Yelp serve restaurateurs. As someone in the business, what do you think about some of the following questions?
  • What are the biggest problems of Yelp or other review sites?
  • What are the best/worst features of review sites?
  • What would you like to see in a review site?
  • What website best serves the interests of both restaurateurs and diners?
Thanks for your ideas!

10 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 10:29:56 (permalink)
    This is ironic.  But, as a consumer, I never give any credence to a review from a first-time poster.
     - My favorite sites are sites/apps that meld reviews from many sources.
     - Gleaming accolades and overly negative reviews are always to be discounted.
     - I have left Yelp behind as I can't seem to authenticate myself to the app's liking and I've heard that they are selling "services" to restaurants ... may or may not be the case, but I've heard it and it has stuck with me.  (A practice, selling services to merchants,  that puts the Better Business Bureau, very low on my respect list.)
     -
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 10:37:57 (permalink)
    I can't say I rely on them but I have used them. I do think they serve a useful purpose.
    Rubyshaveice
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 11:09:20 (permalink)
    They're all massively skewed toward the negative.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 11:13:38 (permalink)
    Rubyshaveice

They're all massively skewed toward the negative.

I agree with that and don't know why. However if there are many reviews you can generally separate the chaff from the wheat.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2398
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 12:08:05 (permalink)
    I feel most people look for a place to B-tch but, don't really go out of their way to compliment...........I see some real popular Restaurants wth over 1000 reviews, do you really need to add a review when there are that many already. I feel the people adding a review to that restaurant,do so, just to add more hype, and to make themselves look good, a person in the know, if you know what I mean..........I like Roadfood, the people that reported on this site over the years have respect for its members and tell it like it is...............pnwc
    post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/11/05 15:42:21
    jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 15:11:49 (permalink)
    I rely more so on Chowhound than Yelp.  More foodies there.
    kreativekvs209
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/05 16:37:20 (permalink)
    i'm a sushi chef and converse with allot of the patrons that comes through to eat at the sushi bar, and a good honest amount of people are from out of town and rely heavily on what yelp has to say.
     well i consider myself a foody and have added allot of reviews on yelp myself.  more goods then bad . lol . because i tend to give bad food or service acouple of tries before i leave a negative rating.
     but you gotta realize that allot of people that rate restaurants on yelp are numbskulls, with very poor pallets. so0o honestly i have mix feelings about depending on  yelpers reviews.
     a majority of our customers are repeats and i know most by face and some by their usual orders, a good portions are business people from out of town that have tried our food once and have been repeats ever since. ( one of those i always comes here when i'm in town. ) then theres the new new customers , 50/50% of them are from yelp and the other are normally from hotels receptionist recommendations. hope this helps.
    post edited by kreativekvs209 - 2011/11/05 16:39:26
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10264
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/06 02:40:55 (permalink)
    Any web sites that allow people to post opinions anonymously are subject to abuse. Some more so than others. Yelp, Urbanspoon, Chowhound and even Roadfood plus others fall into that category. I tend to rely on Newspapers, periodicals and magazine reviews. At least there there's a reporter or food critic with a name and contact information.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/11/06 02:46:57
    siurui
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/17 03:58:23 (permalink)
    hi everyone, first time joining this forum.
    just wanted to give my opinion as a consumer, i use yelp a lot when im looking for places to eat. turns out reviews are just reviews, and most of the time i do choose the 4 star over the 3 star. but in instances where i had gone for the 3 star, i can't really tell the difference? 

there are also cases where i went for a 4 star, and the food just wasn't for me. in any case, its a reassurance thing? its still better than nothing to base a decision on when you're somewhere new and have no idea what's good around you.

just my 2 cents' worth. btw im from singapore (where we do not have yelp) and got too dependent on yelp when i arrived her in the bay area.
    joey1320
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:What do you think of Yelp and other review sites? What would you do to make them better 2011/11/23 20:36:42 (permalink)
    I have not been posting here in a little while I have been lirking lately and i wanted to add my 2cents to this topic.

I'm a member on Yelp and Urbanspoon and I use both apps regularly when deciding where to eat out. For example, if I do a quick search on Urbanspoon and the restaurant that comes up has less than 75% positive votes, I probably won't try it out. Seriously why take a gamble on a location with a bad rep? Now, I understan it can be misleading and even if they have a positive percentage doesn't mean I will like them, but that's just me.

As far as a restaurant owner, which I plan on being one day, I was thinking of putting signs on the tables or somehwere easy to see, where I tell customer to please speak up if they are unhappy before going online and voicing their disagreement with my food.

This is what my sign would read(or something like it):
    "Hello Yelpers, UrbanSpooners, bloggers and foodies -- we at "Name of Business" are extremely thankfull you have decided to give us a try and we hope that you loved your overall experience. Therefore, if you are not totally happy with your visit, please give us a chance to fix it before voting "I Don't Like" on us. We will do anything in our power to earn your business and we want to learn and grow from our mistakes. Thanks!"

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1