What does "over easy" mean?

Author
HughYeman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2005/06/29 11:44:33 (permalink)

What does "over easy" mean?

Recently a friend told me that someone in a diner informed him that "over easy" actually means that not only should the yolk be completely liquid but the white should be runny; "over medium" means that the white should be solid and as much of the yolk as possible should be liquid.

I think this is ridiculous, because all my life I've ordered over easy eggs and I don't think I ever got any runny whites, at least not intentionally. Then again, it's possible that this is a regional thing, or that decades ago when salmonella wasn't so prevalent runny whites might have been more appealing. What do you think? Does "over easy" mean runny whites, or solid?

-Hugh

20 Replies Related Threads

the grillman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 632
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 11:53:14 (permalink)
    There's a great breakfast place here in St. Louis that has the only real description and explanation of this I've ever seen printed right on their menu. Goody Goody is featured here on Roadfood as well....

http://www.goodygoodydiner.com/eggs.html

doesn't get much more specific than that...AND, they cook consistently to this description as well. Very professional.
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 12:18:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stlouisguy

There's a great breakfast place here in St. Louis that has the only real description and explanation of this I've ever seen printed right on their menu. Goody Goody is featured here on Roadfood as well....

http://www.goodygoodydiner.com/eggs.html

doesn't get much more specific than that...AND, they cook consistently to this description as well. Very professional.

Wow, this is hardcore! I'll check this place out if I ever make it to St. Louis. I have my doubts as to whether most diners would bother with this degree of exactitude.

-Hugh
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18630
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 17:47:26 (permalink)
    At the Waffle House I go to most often I order my eggs over medium because that's the only way to get them cooked over-easy. If you order eggs over-easy you get the runny yolks and whites.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 17:47:32 (permalink)
    Once a waitress told me I should order "over easy CRISP" for a very runny yolk or "over medium CRISP" for a yolk that's firmer but still liquid, if I wanted the edges of the egg whites to be kinda frizzly, which is how I make them at home. All they have to do at the griddle is use the hotter part. Most often I get a "huh?" when I ask for that.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 19:21:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HughYeman

Recently a friend told me that someone in a diner informed him that "over easy" actually means that not only should the yolk be completely liquid but the white should be runny; "over medium" means that the white should be solid and as much of the yolk as possible should be liquid.

I think this is ridiculous, because all my life I've ordered over easy eggs and I don't think I ever got any runny whites, at least not intentionally. Then again, it's possible that this is a regional thing, or that decades ago when salmonella wasn't so prevalent runny whites might have been more appealing. What do you think? Does "over easy" mean runny whites, or solid?

-Hugh

Solid whites!!!!!!

Down here in South Southern Georgia..., @ least.

We don't like soggy bacon, either!
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 20:44:56 (permalink)
    Here in North Texas Wafflehouses, (been to several) I order over easy to get running yolks & just cooked whites, but the waitress always yells , "Over Lite" to those amazing cooks who get it right every time.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/06/29 21:26:33 (permalink)
    The little one in our family calls em "yolky eggs" and she loves em with a runny yolk and solid whites... I make em like this:

Set the burner on medium and grease the pan well... crack one or two eggs in so the yolks don't break, set a cover over the pan and keep checking on the eggs til the white is set enough to flip em without breakage.. flip, then count to 10 (learned this from Alton Brown), and slide em onto the plate.. perfect over mediums every time...
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2005/07/10 07:43:59 (permalink)
    St Louis Guy, thank you for the menu posting. It was very informative.
    superwaitress
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/02/26 19:29:07 (permalink)
    In the restaurant that I work at Over Easy means the whites and the yellows still very runny. This is how I was told when to turn them over and for how long... flip them over just long enough to "set" the egg. Everything will still be very runny. Over medium is the white is cooked a little longer but the yellow is still "soupy".

Personaly I hate a "snotty" egg. It has to either be over medium/well or scrambled.
    CJ17
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/14 15:30:36 (permalink)
    My ex wife, who was a trainer at Denny's and who worked in a number of swanky hotels during her waitressing career, broke down the terminolgy for fried eggs as follows: over easy: yolk runny, whites slightly runny; over med.: yolk runny, whites firm; over well: yolk semi-firm, yolk firm; over hard: yolk and white firm, yolk broken; scratched: slightly scrambled and firm.
    CJ17
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/14 15:37:14 (permalink)
    for over well, it should read yolk semi-firm, white firm. and I forgot sunny side up: not turned, pan may be covered to slightly cook top; basted: basted with pan grease, buter or bacon fat to cook top of yolk.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/14 15:47:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

At the Waffle House I go to most often I order my eggs over medium because that's the only way to get them cooked over-easy. If you order eggs over-easy you get the runny yolks and whites.

When I go to our local WH I always ask for over easy, the waitress yells over medium. I get solid whites and a runny yolk so I don't question.
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/14 17:58:04 (permalink)
    Over well! Now I know!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/14 18:52:54 (permalink)
    MAN, I wish I had seen this thread before!! I would have responded with something like, "That's how I preferred my dates in college."

Of course, it's too late now, and the moment has passed, so I would not post something like that anymore, because it wouldn't be funny...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18630
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/14 19:00:51 (permalink)
    Mrs. Bushie Alert! Mrs. Bushie Alert! Mrs. Bushie Alert!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/15 15:09:58 (permalink)
    A moot point for me, I only eat scrambled w/cheese, omolets or egg salad. I just don't like the white plain, egg salad has to be finely chopped. I even take off the bulk of white when eating deviled eggs..
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/15 16:42:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

MAN, I wish I had seen this thread before!! I would have responded with something like, "That's how I preferred my dates in college."
    Scratched? Snotty? Coddled? Crisp? Scrambled? My own favorite, over easy but firm? C'mon, Bushie, give us a hint!
    curried bluebonnet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/25 00:31:59 (permalink)
    I always order over easy out and get what I want--not too runny white and runny yolks--I'd be afraid of ordering anything more cooked than that for fear of turning out hard-cooked.
    adbunting
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/28 22:42:47 (permalink)
    Over easy...

Weyell...for all my life it meant really soft whites and runny yolks. Lightly fried on both sides.

Over Medium...soft yolks and 'done' whites.

Basted is my favorite.

Start an egg in butter...add a shellfull of water, cover and wait for a little bit. Pay attention. Nicely steamed white top, done whites...runny yolks. Moist. No crispy critter edges.

Then there is sunny side up. Over easy only you don't flip. Wait until the white is almost done.

Over hard is an abomination. A magic shop prop.

A*
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: What does "over easy" mean? 2006/04/29 00:02:47 (permalink)
    As soon as the egg becomes flippable, flip it over, wait ten or fifteen seconds and remove from heat. The whites should be just slightly runny. Just the way I like em from my free range barn yard roamin barred rocks.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1