What does soft serv premix cost?

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2042
2006/03/29 09:55:06 (permalink)

What does soft serv premix cost?

A favorite roadside ice cream stand lowered the quality of their soft serv last season. It was still better than most, but no longer "superior". I understand that here in New England, Hood premium soft serv mix is the gold standard. Last season I wondered if Hood had lowered their quality, but several other places advertise that they use the Hood mix, and they are as good as ever.

Now this season, the once favorite place has lowered the quality of their soft serv even more. They are also using a lower quality hot fudge.

How much are they saving per serving? Even the cheap mix costs something. The portions are smaller too.

This is a place that on a summer evening had 5 or 6 girls working full blast, who still couldn't keep up with the line. If they loose 50% in volume, what is it worth? They are very reasonably priced, and IMO, could have raised prices. I note that this year they are still looking for help too. In the past, this was a job that girls got in high school and kept right through college. The one time that I was there this season, it was all new help, except for the same manager. Maybe they have lowered pay too?

Maybe a roadfood owner can offer some insight?

6 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: What does soft serv premix cost? 2006/03/29 21:33:45 (permalink)
    At an Indianapolis attraction, I dont remember the brand we used.. But watering down the solution a bit was a requirement (beyond packaging suggestions). Obviously for the profit margin.

koloa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: What does soft serv premix cost? 2006/03/30 00:25:14 (permalink)
    the one thing i cant stand about some soft serve ice cream is when its 'warm' and creamy.

what brand/style of soft serve ice cream gives the cold milky soft ice cream?
    tmiles
    RE: What does soft serv premix cost? 2006/03/30 14:32:48 (permalink)
    I hadn't thought about the mix being watered down. The worst soft serv I ever had was on a Navy Ship. That was made with a premix powder and water. The only people who liked it were the crew members from the Ashville class PGs (small patrol gunboats), that came aboard when they refueled from our LST. They only liked it because it was good compared to what they usually got.

I have seen them refill the shake/soft serv machine at McDs. They use the same liquid premix for both shakes and softserv. Some places around here advertise that they use Dreyers premix (fairly good), or Hood (IMO,the best). A few make it themselves, but back to my original question. Just as there is a big price difference in hard ice cream, (Ben & Jerry vs Breyers vs Double Rainbow vs the WalMart special), there must be a big price difference in soft serv premix, otherwise everyone would serve the good stuff.
    tmiles
    RE: What does soft serv premix cost? 2006/03/30 14:36:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

At an Indianapolis attraction, I dont remember the brand we used.. But watering down the solution a bit was a requirement (beyond packaging suggestions). Obviously for the profit margin.

A year or so ago I was reading a very interesting biography (unauthorized) of Donald Trump. Donald learned from his dad, who learned from HIS dad to always water down the paint. I thought it was funny.
    KAYLINDA
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: What does soft serv premix cost? 2006/03/30 23:46:38 (permalink)
    We use "hiland". Both the chocolate and vanilla run $ .04 an ounce for the mix. However...since it is mixed with "air" I don't know the actual cost of a cone. We don't "water" down our mix. I do know you can buy mixes with "more" or "less" fat content...which affects the final product. Machines make a "huge" difference too. Even our food supplier says that although another restaurant in our area uses the same mix as we do...that our cones are better. Must be the machine. Draining the ice cream mix from the "holding" tank makes a difference too....ours is much better when the mix that has been in the tank has been drained off...and fresh has just been made. Our McDonald here use a hiland product...but it has a higher fat content than what we can purchase. (Just me...but I like theirs better than ours.....maybe they have a better machine...lol.)
    Scoopgirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: What does soft serv premix cost? 2006/04/02 09:04:05 (permalink)
    It sounds as if the establishment is mixing their blends to make the dollar go further. The last several years, the ice cream mix goes up and down, so maybe instead of raising prices they are coming up with alternative methods. I use Potomac Farms 10% and have been happy. I do know that stands around me will do a gal of 10% and then a gal of 6% or other alternatives. I stay away from that. I also have to agree with the agove poster about draining the machine also.

Not a day goes by where I don't hear, your ice cream is so much better then the others. However, we all use the same mix, except for the stands that dilute. My only answer is that we take our machine apart and clean it every other day. Most only clean it once and we have one place that keeps getting closed down because of bacteria counts or mold growing around the hoppers.

As far as toppings, like everything else rising costs and people try to cut back. I might charge more, but have satisfied customers because I continue to get the product that I approve of. Not strawberries that you might bite into one and get more syrup.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1