What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub?

Author
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1021
2011/10/03 12:27:29 (permalink)

What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub?

I ordered one half an Italian sub to go yesterday, at Sack O' Subs here in Ocean City.  The young lady that waited on me asked if I wanted lettuce, tomato and onion.  I said yes, paid and took my sub home.  when I started to eat it, I found no oil, mayo or any dressing on it.  I checked their menu and it said oil, vinegar, mayo or mustard where available by request.  I would think there would be oil on a sub automatically, but I wonder why I wasn't asked when I was asked about the lettuce, tomato and onion.  Anyway the sub was great.  Next time I will ask for oil and vinegar.
Remember this is one half a sub ($6.00)

25 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8075
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 13:41:46 (permalink)
    I'm looking at a perfect sub.

eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 13:47:06 (permalink)
    It is indeed strange you were asked about LTO but not choice of dressing. many places do default to oil/vinegar but I always say exactly what I want as it's better to be safe than sorry.

VERY good looking sandwich!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 14:14:54 (permalink)
    I want no lettuce or tomatoes on my sub. If any non meat or cheese is to be on it it must be roasted peppers and black olives -- preferably kalamatas. Dressings? No thank you. Just a good olive oil, please, along with some oregano and black pepper.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10326
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 14:29:00 (permalink)
     "I would think there would be oil on a sub automatically, but I wonder why I wasn't asked when I was asked about the lettuce, tomato and onion."
    Because you're dealing with a YOUNG Lady who's making minimum wage and doesn't give a flip!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 14:34:14 (permalink)
    i've seen some bottled dressings at deli counters that are specifically blended for subs but I don't remember the names.
    For me, oil, vinegar and oregano or sometimes Mayo.

DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 15:08:00 (permalink)
    The times have changed. Years ago, you accepted the default sandwich on the board complete with the house dressing /oil & vinegar unless you specifically told them you wanted something different. The rise of the Subway/Blimpie type shops with the "sandwich artist" assembling your sub on a sandwich station where you dictate the ingredients is now the norm, so are many dressing choices. You'd be surprised how many people now have different expectations of what an Italian or whatever sub they order. Outside of the meat and cheese, nothing else is a given anymore. You can always add a dressing to a sub afterwards, but it's lost money if a customer returns one with the condiment he didn't expect and insists on one without.

Marlene, that may look like a perfect sub nowadays, but back in the day when I worked in a sub shop that would have been blasphemous and very anemic to be called an Italian sub. A half of a sub probably weighed a pound with flat laid coldcuts and cheese and served open faced in a basket. The guys used to struggle with the back end of a bread knife on a finished sub to start a fold enough to wrap one in deli paper for a take out.  
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 16:05:26 (permalink)
    DawnT,
    "Back in the Day" a lot of things were different AND better!
    ChrisOC
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 17:06:31 (permalink)
    Dawn
    for an extra 50 cents you can get the Sack O' special, which is the same sub, but with extra meat and cheese.
    BTW did you notice that they do pull out some of the bread from the inside of the roll.  I find that to be a nice old fashioned touch.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 17:18:55 (permalink)
    I always liked a tart Italian dressing on my Italian sub.    In the early 70's Pizza Hut a great little toasted Italian sub. I've never found an Italian dressing that matched theirs.     ... Anyway Oil & vinegar now.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 18:17:12 (permalink)
    MUSTARD!! The spicy brown stuff with seeds in it is killer on most sammies.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2015
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 18:37:06 (permalink)
    Regardless of what may or may not be offered on a sandwich, I always order what I want on it.
    A lot of people don't read past the thing that catches their eye on the menu.
    Everything on my menu is spelled out, sauces, cheese, condiments, produce, grilled, raw, etc.
    People still ask does it have this or that....
    Does the cheese steak have peppers or mushrooms? NO...
    If you had read the menu, you would know that it is steak, grilled onions & provolone.

There is a sandwich place here in town that I went to once, I ordered a turkey on wheat, mayo, mustard, pickle, etc.
    Got two paper thin slices of "lunch meat" on soggy brown bread.
    I was told that there were packets of condiments at the end of the counter, and that I could apply them myself!....What kind of sandwich place is this?
    I got 2 pickle chips on the side with my sandwich.

The sub looks good, but there's not that much meat there!
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 18:51:09 (permalink)
    Sub looks perfect.   I'd much rather receive it dry than them to put mayo on there.  Absolutely no mayo or ranch dressing, can't think of anything more vile than mayonaisse! 

Either zesty italian dressing, or olive oil, or oil/vinegar (red wine or balsamic doesn't matter) on cold subs.

On a heated/grilled turkey sub prefer bbq sauce or jerk seasoning.  On chicken bbq or A-1.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 19:40:58 (permalink)
    I'd prefer a crustier Italian bread...most sub bread is glorified white bread...only tasteless.....and yes,vinegar (balsamic) and olive oil...and then what ever toppings I'm in the mood for...hot peppers, olives etc!oh, and QUALITY cold cuts....not the cheap stuff used at chains like Subway and Blimpie!
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 22:04:13 (permalink)
    I prefer oil, vinegar and Italian seasoning on a cold Italian sub.
    What happened to the original poster also recently happened to me at a small chain called Jon Smith's Subs. I had already left the area when I took a bite of the sandwich and found it completely dry without any dressing, mustard or mayo.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1023
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 22:15:45 (permalink)
    I always make a specific point to request no lettuce or mayo on my sub, most places around here will put it on automatically if you don't, and still I can't count how many times they'd put it on anyway. Not many places to get a good sub around here, which is surprising given the amount of places that offer them.
    I had a really great sub at a pizza shop down the street a few weeks ago, then went back a week later for another, and they'd changed the meat from a nice rare Italian roast beef to salty, fatty pressed beef product.  They saved 50 cents in ingredients on a sandwich to lose a customer for life.

I made myself a nice mortadella sub with provolone on a nice soft roll with vinaigrette and a little mustard for lunch today. Much better.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2015
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/03 23:27:49 (permalink)
    Now that sounds good... Mortadella is one of my favorites.
    Can't get it around here, I have to drive 30 miles to a meat market to get it. At least they carry Molinari products and can get mortadella with or w/o pistachios.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 10:15:22 (permalink)
    bwave

Sub looks perfect.   I'd much rather receive it dry than them to put mayo on there.  Absolutely no mayo or ranch dressing, can't think of anything more vile than mayonaisse! 

Either zesty italian dressing, or olive oil, or oil/vinegar (red wine or balsamic doesn't matter) on cold subs.

On a heated/grilled turkey sub prefer bbq sauce or jerk seasoning.  On chicken bbq or A-1.

I love mayo mixed with cayenne pepper and lime juice.  It is good for any sub but in particular for an oyster po' boy.

SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1023
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 10:50:15 (permalink)
    chefbuba

Now that sounds good... Mortadella is one of my favorites.
    Can't get it around here, I have to drive 30 miles to a meat market to get it. At least they carry Molinari products and can get mortadella with or w/o pistachios.

I get it without pistachios, and will sometimes layer it with sopressata and smoked provolone (or sharp cheddar) on sliced crusty Italian bread, rather than a sub roll. I'll mix up a little vinaigrette with just olive oil, vinegar, s&p, dried basil and oregano, and go to town.
    It's readily available around here, but I haven't actually seen any sub shops offer it.
    ChrisOC
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 11:41:41 (permalink)
    They probably don't want to spend the money
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 12:03:52 (permalink)
    From 1986 to 1990 I owned a place I named "Blue Ridge Country Store", we sold subs, burgers, dogs, soft serve ice cream, lots of things. My foot long cold cut sub had 5 slices each of: cheese, Genoa Salami, Cotto Salami, bologna, cooked ham, lettice tomato onions either o&v, or mayo, sliced onions, chopped hot peppers on request, it weighed ovet 2 lbs and was a bear to close and wrap, $4.99.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3160
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 12:09:18 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut .............
    I love mayo mixed with cayenne pepper and lime juice.  It is good for any sub but in particular for an oyster po' boy.

Recent health concerns has me limiting my fats whenever possible. Combining subs with banh mi dressing had me blending fat-free mayo (I know, I know) with a little minced garlic, an entire stemmed only jalapeno roughly chopped, a splash of EVO, and a good amount of cilantro, stems and all.
     The finished result turned out great.
    (This is done in a food processor or Osterizer)
    post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2011/10/04 12:12:59
    ChrisOC
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 19:28:00 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

I want no lettuce or tomatoes on my sub. If any non meat or cheese is to be on it it must be roasted peppers and black olives -- preferably kalamatas. Dressings? No thank you. Just a good olive oil, please, along with some oregano and black pepper.

That sounds good.  Are the olives sliced or tapenade?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 20:05:56 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

NYPIzzaNut .............

Recent health concerns has me limiting my fats whenever possible. Combining subs with banh mi dressing had me blending fat-free mayo (I know, I know) with a little minced garlic, an entire stemmed only jalapeno roughly chopped, a splash of EVO, and a good amount of cilantro, stems and all.
    The finished result turned out great.
    (This is done in a food processor or Osterizer)

SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 21:47:36 (permalink)
    ChrisOC

I ordered one half an Italian sub to go yesterday, at Sack O' Subs here in Ocean City.  The young lady that waited on me asked if I wanted lettuce, tomato and onion.  I said yes, paid and took my sub home.  when I started to eat it, I found no oil, mayo or any dressing on it.  I checked their menu and it said oil, vinegar, mayo or mustard where available by request.  I would think there would be oil on a sub automatically, but I wonder why I wasn't asked when I was asked about the lettuce, tomato and onion.  Anyway the sub was great.  Next time I will ask for oil and vinegar.
    Remember this is one half a sub ($6.00)

That sounds like a good sandwich shop.  They put on the sandwich exactly what you asked for on the sandwich.    If they had AUTOMATICALLY put on oil/vinegar when I had not asked for it, I would have to send the sandwich back.    I can't count how many times sandwich places put crap on a sandwich ... like mayo, oil/vingar,etc....  that I did not ask for.  A huge pet peeve of mine. 

You found a good sandwich shop.  They actually followed your instructions.   If you want oil/vinegar next time,  ... ask for it.  It sounds like this place listens, and would put it on when asked.   That's so much better than getting "surpise" ingredients that you never asked for. 

Glenn

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:What dressing do you expect on your hoagie/sub? 2011/10/04 22:25:23 (permalink)
    It depends upon the sub I'm ordering.  Sometimes I like oil and vinegar and sometimes French dressing.  I like the sub toasted (preferably a garlic wheat bun) and full of veggies and my cheese of choice is Swiss.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1