What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....?

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7769
2011/11/11 00:02:13 (permalink)

What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....?

I've been collecting Hawaiian items over the years for Hawaiian themed parties.  I've been to Hawaii a few times and each time I purchased a couple high priced, nice leis.  I supplemented those with some bought at dollar stores.  I have all kinds of other items that go with them, but they're not the subject of this rant.

My best friend asked to borrow everything.  ( I know, STUPID!!!)

I had an entire large plastic storage bin full and she borrowed everything.

When she returned it she sort of mentioned that there weren't as many leis in it, but she replaced them with a bunch more she had purchased and some other stuff.

Fast forward to an hour ago...

I have to take my mother and one of her caregivers to a Hawaiian themed party Saturday for her other caregiver's daughter.

You've got to know that I don't want to go, but I have to.  You know... guilt.

A couple of weeks ago I told my mother that she and caregiver #1 didn't have to worry about what they were going to wear because I had beautiful leis from Hawaii.

I just went through that storage bin in my dining room.  Everything is still all over the floor because I am livid!  All of the leis from Hawaii are gone and they've been replaced with crap plastic leis that were probably 25 for a dollar at the 99¢ Store.

It's true...  No good deed goes unpunished.

(She's my best friend so I just need to be upset and let this feeling subside)

What good deed have you done?

10 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10101
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 02:41:57 (permalink)
    Sounds like your "Best Friend" doesn't qualify as a "Best Friend". A Best friend wouldn't do that.
    I've lent people tools that were never returned.
    A neighbor was having a party and ran out of beer. I gave him a case that I had just purchased. I'm still waiting to have it replaced. That was 2 years ago!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 06:24:13 (permalink)
    RE The Leis,  I would not let it slide, I would resolve it with the 'friend'.

Our taking on a grandson has been a mixed blessing/curse. The agreement was  that the dollar amount of the child-support the daughter receives for the grandsons care ($300/month)would be forwarded to us to offset some of the additional costs he has brought with him to our budget. The reality is that the father is paying, but the money is not getting passed on by the mother. Thus we are having to 'foot the total bill' for the kids upkeep. Were the expenses a small number, we would growl, but not make an issue of it. However his costs are reaching the $500 per month level at this point and that has a large impact on our fiscal planning.

We will be confronting the daughter shortly, but doubt that she will be cooperative. What action will follow that has yet to be planned.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 08:53:48 (permalink)
    Dont let it slide, Mar. You will never get over your feelings if you do.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7769
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 11:44:36 (permalink)
    I emailed her last night and she's going to try to find out which one of her neighbors took them.

It was a party for her condo association.  I wasn't invited!

He didn't realize that some of the leis were much better than others.

I have a feeling she told them that they could have them.

She's my best friend since we were 15. (I'm old now!)  She had a full body scan yesterday to see if her breast/breast/colon,colon/lung cancer has returned. 

If I get them back or not, she is still my best friend.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 12:12:09 (permalink)
    Lesson:
    Never loan anything of value to anyone unless you are going to be there to keep an eye on it or you don't care if it gets lost or damaged.  The odds are that something will happen to it, if nothing else, perhaps by accident.
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 14:06:28 (permalink)
    There's a side street near my office building that's a tow away zone.  It's really a shame because it's not well-marked, and the city's Parking Division is lax about the towing, not showing up some days. I tried to warn him, and he starts fussing at me - saying he's always parked there, and never had a problem, etc. but truly annoyed with me for telling him.   Oh well, it will only take being towed once to make a believer out of him.  
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 15:20:34 (permalink)
      • by Franklin P. Adams

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

There was a man in our town who had King Midas’ touch;
      He gave away his millions to the colleges and such;
      And people cried: “The hypocrite! He ought to understand
      The ones who really need him are the children of this land!” When Andrew Croesus built a home for children who were sick,
      The people said they rather thought he did it as a trick,
      And writers said: “He thinks about the drooping girls and boys,
      But what about conditions with the men whom he employs?”
      There was a man in our town who said that he would share
      His profits with his laborers, for that was only fair,
      And people said: “Oh, isn’t he the shrewd and foxy gent?
      It cost him next to nothing for that free advértisement!”
      There was a man in our town who had the perfect plan
      To do away with poverty and other ills of man,
      But he feared the public jeering, and the folks who would defame him,
      So he never told the plan he had, and I can hardly blame him.

chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6175
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 16:00:26 (permalink)
    mayor al

RE The Leis,  I would not let it slide, I would resolve it with the 'friend'.

Our taking on a grandson has been a mixed blessing/curse. The agreement was  that the dollar amount of the child-support the daughter receives for the grandsons care ($300/month)would be forwarded to us to offset some of the additional costs he has brought with him to our budget. The reality is that the father is paying, but the money is not getting passed on by the mother. Thus we are having to 'foot the total bill' for the kids upkeep. Were the expenses a small number, we would growl, but not make an issue of it. However his costs are reaching the $500 per month level at this point and that has a large impact on our fiscal planning.

We will be confronting the daughter shortly, but doubt that she will be cooperative. What action will follow that has yet to be planned.

Al, I'm not trying to make light of your situation, but it sounds exactly like a "Dear Abbey"', letter you might write!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6175
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/11 16:15:16 (permalink)
    Way back during the Bosnian war, I gave one of my rental houses to a Bosnian refugee family that I read about in the Frederick News Post. Mother, Father, 2 children, Muslims, no money, no job. I gave it to them rent free for a year, a local Christian church was leading the efforts to make a new life for them. After a year, the pastor called me and asked me for an additional 6 months, I said no, because at $1200.00 per month I was giving up, I figured I had done my part, the Pastor didn't agree with me and told me so, I told the Pastor to go ---- himself, They moved out, no thank you , nada! I had just forgone over $14,000 for a slap in the face.
    Indeed no good deed goes unpunished!
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    Re:What good deeds have you done that bit you in the ....? 2011/11/12 17:16:18 (permalink)
    20 some odd years ago I got my best friend (at the time) a job at the store where I had worked for a couple years, he really needed it and bugged me to get it for him. I vouched for him, he got the job... then he barely worked, did a shoddy job when he did work, called in sick a lot, and complained the whole time as if the job was beneath him. He finally just quit without any notice. My boss told me he'd never hire anyone on my recommendation ever again, and I didn't blame him. That was the first and last time I've ever done that.

The one time I got a job on a friend's recommendation, I worked my tail off for two reasons... one, I have a work ethic, two because I didn't want my friend to look bad for recommending me.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1