The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs?

anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Tue, 03/16/04 2:20 AM (permalink)
For years in Western New York, Sahlen's put out an excellent hot dog until around 2 years ago. All of a sudden, the width of the hot dog was reduced (length remained the same) and they reformulated their product. Needless to say, which once was a great hot dog is now an average one at best. Sahlen's has been in business since 1867 and puts out other products which are excellent like Ham off the Bone, Turkey, Liver Sausage, Corned Beef which are sliced fresh in most super markets in the area.

Just don't understand why the management at Sahlen's cheapened up their once great hot dogs.

Mark Battistoni

• Total Posts: 3
    RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 04/26/04 2:38 PM (permalink)
    In reponse to the posting "what happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs". I work for the company and have for years as the Buffalo regional sales manager. I can assure you that we have changed nothing in the formulation of our hot dogs(never mess with success). That said I will say that the problem you described with regard to size may be because you recieved a special size hot dog usually reserved for non for profit fundraising. We do however make food and there remains the possiblity that you recieved a product which was not as you remembered it due to a variety of retail possibilities(Feshness,Code Dates,handling). I would suggest that repurchase the product in a 1# or any other retail pack size and enjoy it again. If you still feel that it is not what you remember. You are welcome to contact the company dirctly to further explore your disatisfaction.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
      RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 03/7/05 2:59 PM (permalink)
      Sahlen's natural casing dogs are sold at "Franks for the Memories" in Mundelein, IL. The owners are from New York and have been in business since 1985. The next time I'm in the area, I'll try one.

CSD

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
        RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 03/7/05 8:32 PM (permalink)
        I live in N.J. and don't have access to this dog. I've heard that it's good though. Would love to compare it to Thumann's, which I believe is the standard for a beef/pork dog. Chicago, if you haven't had a dog in this style, be prepared for something completely different. Most people assume that a dog containing pork is an inferior product. Part of the reason for this is that many of the larger producers like Ballpark and Oscar Mayer make dogs that are fairly bland in my opinion. Regional hot dog producers like Thumann's, Liehs & Steigerwald (actually a German butcher shop) Grote & Weigel, Hofmanns and Hummels make excellent German style beef/pork or beef/pork/veal dogs. But they may be an aquired taste for someone used to N.Y./Chicago style all beef dogs.

chicagostyledog

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 03/7/05 11:24 PM (permalink)
          John,

I'll give you a report after my taste test in the next week.

chicagostyledog

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 04/10/05 6:27 PM (permalink)
            My wife and I had the opportunity to experience a char broiled Sahlen's hot dog for lunch today. The dog was natural casing and char grilled, served on a non-steamed bun with mustard. It was dry, bland, and tasteless, unlike the all beef Chicago hot dogs, I was raised on and am used to eating.

John Fox

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 04/11/05 1:44 PM (permalink)
              I haven't had a Sahlen's, so I can't comment on it, but this type of dog is different, especially if you are used to a spicier all beef dog. It may be an aquired taste for some. I know I didn't like this type of dog when I first tried it, having been raised on quality all beef dogs like Best and Sabrett. I've come to enjoy dogs in this style, but it took awhile. In my opinion, a quality German style dog like Thumann's, Liehs & Steigerwald, Hummel's, or Schickhaus may be bland compared to a Sabrett, but on it's own these dogs have a milder taste with a subtle blend of spices and a wider variety of flavors. Many people consider this type of hot dog to be more traditional than the kosher style all beef dog, having it's origin in Germany. I know people in Western Jersey, where the dogs used are bland by even my standards, who consider all beef Chicago/NY-NJ dogs to be too spicy and not authentic. A lot depends on what you were brought up eating.

sbpressman

• Total Posts: 23
                RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Tue, 04/12/05 8:58 PM (permalink)
                I was raised on both Hebrew National beefy kosher dogs and Sahlens, and have eaten local hot dogs in Chicago and NJ. Sahlens is still my favorite, especially grilled over a charcoal fire -- Ted's style. I don't consider it bland at all; just a very different taste than kosher style. Kosher dogs have a very powerful garlic presence, and are pretty greasy (not negatives, just style). Sahlens definitely has porky notes, and a "sharp" but low key spiciness (like black pepper). I also think kosher dogs are better with just mustard, while Sahlens are great fully loaded. At Ted's, that would be ketchup, mustard, onions, relish, hot sauce (a chunky "salsa" with no cumin flavor so it doesn't taste Mexican at all) and pickle. A relative of the Chicago style dog.

Markschaefer

• Total Posts: 6
                  RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 07/3/05 6:03 AM (permalink)
                  They haven't changed, maybe you have a work related injury that has ruined your tastebuds. Definately though, you should look at the buy before date on your next purchase, you can't miss it.

Try steaming them in a smoker usisng Newcastle beer.

Mark

John Fox

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sat, 09/3/05 10:15 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by sbpressman

I was raised on both Hebrew National beefy kosher dogs and Sahlens, and have eaten local hot dogs in Chicago and NJ. Sahlens is still my favorite, especially grilled over a charcoal fire -- Ted's style. I don't consider it bland at all; just a very different taste than kosher style. Kosher dogs have a very powerful garlic presence, and are pretty greasy (not negatives, just style). Sahlens definitely has porky notes, and a "sharp" but low key spiciness (like black pepper). I also think kosher dogs are better with just mustard, while Sahlens are great fully loaded. At Ted's, that would be ketchup, mustard, onions, relish, hot sauce (a chunky "salsa" with no cumin flavor so it doesn't taste Mexican at all) and pickle. A relative of the Chicago style dog.

Very well said. A good description of some of the differences between kosher style and German style dogs. Also a good description of Sahlen's.

I finally got a chance to sample some of these dogs yesterday. They're not available in my area, so I haven't had them previously. Someone I have been corresponding with online happens to live close to me and was kind enough to invite me over to sample a few Sahlen's. He also gave me some to take home along with some of the famous Buffalo wings and the Longenberry juice popular in the area.

I always look forward to trying new dogs; especially those that I've heard so much about. And I never know if I will like them or not. But it's great fun for me to sample something that I've heard or read about. And finally to have an opinion of.

The dogs I sampled were Sahlen's Smoke House Hot Dogs. They are available in supermarkets near Buffalo. The same recipe as those served at Ted's. The only difference in these and the actual dogs used at Ted's is the casing. The smokehouse dogs have a collagen, rather than a sheep casing. And at Ted's, you can get the dogs in a bigger sizes. Footlong and Jumbo.

I had these dogs with Weber's Hot Texan Sauce, which is a blend of mustard, relish, and spices, and also Weber's Picalilly Relish, which is a spicy, tomato based relish. Both were very good, especially the Hot Texan sauce, which I've learned is a popular topping at Ted's. I would use this sauce if it was available near me. I might order some, as it is available online.

The dogs were prepared on a charcoal grill. They were very pale in color, which usually means that a very mild tasting, bordering on bland, taste experience is to follow. Not so here. The dogs were very good. A good balance of beef and pork with a distinctive spicing. Slightly peppery, and somewhat reminiscent of Hofmann's coneys or snappy grillers. That's what the Sahlens frank reminded me of, although it wasn't over the top with the pepper or other spices. I had a bite of the dog plain before putting on the condiments. Later I had another plain, but will have to sample again with just mustard.

These dogs are great on the grill. We also had a Thumanns that we grilled for the sake of comparison. Thumann's have a softer lambs casing and are packed looser since they don't employ a technique called vacuum chopping which sucks the air out of the meat mixture. This results in a product that cooks up faster. I actually prefer Thumann's on the griddle rather than on the backyard grill. I will compare these 2 again on the griddle. Both are great dogs. The Sahlen's actually cooked up better on the charcoal grill. It was drier, crunchier, and more peppery in flavor. An excellent example of a beef and pork dog. And I like the collagen casing. I think they use this for the supermarket dogs because there is more uniformity when it comes to size. The Thumann's dog had it's usual great taste (the pork comes right from their hams) but, as I said, didn't cook up as well as the Sahlen's. And it tasted very salty. I usually simmer in water before putting them on the griddle; perhaps this takes away some of the salt. Or maybe the dog is just salty compared to Sahlen's.

I'm looking forward to having the remaining Sahlen's dogs, both on the grill and the griddle to evaluate them further after having them for the first time yesterday. But I will say that they are a great dog; as good as there is, and even better than I anticipated, especially after seeing the pale color. Great on the grill, and they are complemented well by the Weber's Hot Texan Sauce and Picalilly Relish.

Later on I went to Wegmans to request that they carry this brand. They will attempt to. I found out that the Princeton location usually stocks Sahlen's. I didn't know this. Currently, they are out of stock, but they will call when they get more.

jenbmartin

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 09/12/05 6:26 PM (permalink)
                      I love Sahlen's hot dogs, having grown up on them in the Buffalo burbs, and brought them back to NJ by car all the time before moving out to AZ. Chargrilled to a deep color and crispy outside, then loaded with chosen condiments - there is no better dog than these! Hebrew National bun-busters are pretty good, but they can't top a Sahlen's in my opinion.

For those Sahlen's fans in AZ, Ted's has an outpost in Tempe, and they sell Sahlens frozen by the 3 lb package - just ask at the register. No more carrying them on the plane back from Buffalo if you don't want to! Now, if I could only find Chiavetta's marinade out here without carting THAT back on the plane....

Colleen Hill

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Mon, 10/10/05 9:20 PM (permalink)
                        I've been reading the articles about the Sahlen Hot dogs. You are right, there are no other hot dogs like Sahlen. I've lived in Oklahoma now for 14 years. My Dad brings them out to me or I bring them back when I visit WNY. The only reason I buy hot dogs in Oklahoma is to give them to my dog! The ones they sell in Oklahoma are not worth eating. I just don't understand why Sahlen Hot Dogs can't be bought out here. I'm lucky that my Dad visits me about 5 times a year. He also brings me Weber's Horseradish Mustard, Wise Chips, Bison Chip Dip, Pepperoni and cheese curds. Oh I just love New York Food. If only he could bring me a greasy pizza, some Anchor Bar Wings and a Beef on Weck!!!! When I warrived in Buffalo this summer, we got off the plane and went right to the Anchor Bar!

Colleen Hill, Norman,Oklahoma

Squeak

• Total Posts: 3
                          RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 07/2/06 6:40 PM (permalink)
                          Hello all... (been lurking for a Month)

I too grew up on Sahlen’s Hot Dogs. Down here in Miami I have yet to taste anything like a Sahlen. It's a shame that madeinbuffalo charges so much. does anyone know where to order them cheeper?

thanks for the info.

Squeak...
                          Miami,fl

machineman

• Total Posts: 95
                            RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 12/31/06 11:11 AM (permalink)
                            Agree with poster above... I live in Orlando and have to make due with Boar's Head which are good, and over the course of time you convince yourself they are like Sahlen's.. then you go back and have one, and it completely reminds you of how great they are!

What "version" of Sahlen's Hot Dogs does Ted's use? I know Sahlen's makes a few diffrent kinds, but... are they simply the traidiional "smokehouse" hot dogs, or something else?

John Fox

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 12/31/06 11:40 AM (permalink)
                              Sahlen's makes 2 different hot dogs. One has a natural sheep casing. This is the dog that is used at Ted's. The other dog, which is called the "smokehouse" hot dog, is made from the same recipe, but has a collagen casing. These are what are sold in supermarkets. You can get either directly from the company via mail order. The ones I had were the smokehouse dogs. Excellent; one of the 5 or so best beef/pork dogs I've had. They have a good flavor that you might not expect since the dogs are pale in color. You can definitely taste a hint of pepper as well.

Sahlen's are a different type of dog than Boars Head, which is a spicier, kosher style dog. Sahlen's is more like Thumann's, Schickhaus, Hummel's, and other quality German style franks made with pork as well as beef.

Interesting that this thread has been brought up again. I was planning to make the trip to the Princeton Wegmans, which is the only place I know of near me where Sahlen's are available. I'd like to sample them again since it's been over a year since I last had them.

caldwellusa

• Total Posts: 4
                                RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sat, 04/28/07 9:38 PM (permalink)
                                I am looking for where the Sahlens are made? I belive in Buffalo, but does any one have their phone mumber and name, with possible location

dholk

• Total Posts: 107
                                  RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sat, 04/28/07 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                  caldwellusa,

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.sahlen.com/main.html

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                    RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 04/29/07 1:35 AM (permalink)
                                    Ted's Hot Dogs from Buffalo has a shop in Tempe, AZ and serves the dogs the same way they do in Buffalo. The line is 20-30 deep from 11AM to 2 PM everyday! It's also the home of the Buffalo Bills Fan Club out here!

caldwellusa

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 04/29/07 7:43 AM (permalink)
                                      Thanks for the help, but I am looking for the factory where Sahlens are made. I would like if someone from the Buffalo are can fine the location factory where Logenberry is made.

caldwellusa

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Sun, 04/29/07 8:56 AM (permalink)
                                        Hello Again

I have a food business and I would like to purchase these direct from the manufacture, this is why I am looking for direct sales of Loganberry concentrate and Sahlens. If you have any information please feel free to e mail me. Also, does anyone have a recipe for loganberry Soft serve Ice-cream?

Sager

RE: What happened to Sahlen's Hot Dogs? Wed, 06/15/11 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                          The diffrence is the casing if you get "natural casing" they are the good ones. I had to order them from the meat dept at Tops Supermarket. The collagen casing are smalled in diameter. In my opinion not as good. Call Shlen`s in Buffalo, NY (716-852-8677) if your supermarket does not have them.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com