Hot!What hot sauces do you use?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/11/30 22:45:08 (permalink)
BT Favorite for general table use (and especially for Cajun/Creole food like jambalaya):  Crystal  (I'll probably get some argument on this but I prefer Crystal to Tabasco for table use because to me it seems to have less heat and more flavor).

They are different sauces. Crystal was a favorite among the Comidas Chinas Y Criollas places I used to eat at in college. Tabasco uses uncooked tabasco peppers, while Crystal uses cooked (closely related) cayenne peppers. As I mentioned, I find Crystal, Franks, Texas Petes, Trappey's, Louisiana, etc. virtually indistinguishable from each other, so I get what's cheapest for my cooked cayenne sauce.

For Chinese dipping sauce:  Either Sriracha or homemade chili oil made as follows:

I've never tried Sriracha. Can you (or anyone else) describe the flavor?

BTW, one thing I don't touch is "fortified" hot sauces; those with capsaicin added.

Bart
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/11/30 23:28:53 (permalink)
bartl

For Chinese dipping sauce:  Either Sriracha or homemade chili oil made as follows:

I've never tried Sriracha. Can you (or anyone else) describe the flavor?

BTW, one thing I don't touch is "fortified" hot sauces; those with capsaicin added.

Bart

VERY garlicky, a bit hot, a bit vinegary but not too much. Thick, like ketchup. Really great on a lot of things, especially eggs.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/12/01 15:26:54 (permalink)
David_NYC

I only use hot sauce in cooking. My favorite is Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce. It is made by the same firm that makes Louisiana Hot Sauce, Bruce Foods.
In my neck of the woods, most ShopRite supermarkets have it.
+1 for Louisiana Gold.  Had it a few years ago at Parkway Bakery in New Orleans and have been mail-ordering it ever since.

All the grocery stores near me carry the Louisiana Hot Sauce and the Bruce Foods yams, but no one has the La Gold.

mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8075
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/12/01 17:00:38 (permalink)
Sriracha mixed with hoisin sauce is a delicious hot, garlicy and sweet combination which is used with Vietnamese dishes.

Great sauce!

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8488
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/12/02 07:51:07 (permalink)
That sounds awesome, Mar. How do you think that would work on wings? I am trying to think of new twists on food for Christmas appetizers.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8075
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/12/02 11:18:52 (permalink)
Ann, it might be overpowering.  More of a dipping sauce than a completlely covering the.

Try the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.  That's even excellent on a spoon!
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/12/02 11:40:41 (permalink)
annpeeples

That sounds awesome, Mar. How do you think that would work on wings? I am trying to think of new twists on food for Christmas appetizers.

Ann, try some Siracha mixed with Bleu Cheese dressing for those wings, see what you think!
Tom
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2010/12/02 12:40:06 (permalink)
mar52
 Try the Thai Sweet Chili Sauce.  That's even excellent on a spoon!

I eat this stuff with a spoon.  Yum.

bartl
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/11 23:44:01 (permalink)
Bart Lidofsky1) Tabasco. Nothing else like it.
2) Cayenne: I use Frank's Red Hot. I find it pretty much indistinguishable from the other cayenne sauces (Trappey's, Crystal, Texas Pete's, etc.), but I get coupons which make it less than 20 cents a bottle.
3) Jalapeno: I currently use Goya for that.
4) Habanero/Scotch Bonnet: I find that, with the straight stuff, the heat kind of overpowers the flavor. I find Dinosaur Devil's Duo makes a good balance.
5) Cholula: The arbol/piquin mixture is good with Mexican food.
6) Chipotle: I use the Tabasco brand, mainly due to coupons.

Update, having just bought replacement hot sauces:
Using Siracha sauce now (Trade Joe's), but no longer using jalapeno sauce, just pickled jalapenos. Switched chipotle sauces; now using Cholula brand.

Bart
post edited by bartl - 2014/08/12 15:20:05
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/12 02:04:02 (permalink)
Siracha
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 261
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/12 09:16:12 (permalink)
Surprised no one's mentioned this yet:

I vastly prefer it to Cholula or Tapatio.  When I was in KC, there was a (fantastic) burrito place downtown called Burrito Bros. that had Cholula on their tables until they replaced it with this - huge improvement!  

I was first introduced to classic Tabasco long ago at my dad's office, when Domino's pizza had showed up for lunch. Someone enthusiastically suggested splashing it on a slice, and there began my love affair.  Sandwiches, soups, stews, chili, salads, pasta, eggs, grilled cheese... it works on practically everything.

Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/12 10:07:44 (permalink)
Frank's Red Hot Sauce.   I put it on everything that's bland.  I don't like hot for the sake of it being hot.  I put a higher premium on flavor.  Frank's gives me something that fairly hot (but not too much so) and has a lot of flavor to it.

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1023
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/13 12:55:52 (permalink)
Ketteract

I vastly prefer it to Cholula or Tapatio.  When I was in KC, there was a (fantastic) burrito place downtown called Burrito Bros. that had Cholula on their tables until they replaced it with this - huge improvement!  

I was first introduced to classic Tabasco long ago at my dad's office, when Domino's pizza had showed up for lunch. Someone enthusiastically suggested splashing it on a slice, and there began my love affair.  Sandwiches, soups, stews, chili, salads, pasta, eggs, grilled cheese... it works on practically everything.

I've been getting that lately, Walmart has the huge bottles for around $2... cheaper than what a small bottle of Cholula goes for around here. I'd been getting the regular version, but I found I needed more and more to get the level of heat I wanted, to the point it was overpowering. So, on to the hotter version. You can't beat the flavor at that price point.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/14 01:04:39 (permalink)
SeamusD
Ketteract

I've been getting that lately, Walmart has the huge bottles for around $2... cheaper than what a small bottle of Cholula goes for around here. I'd been getting the regular version, but I found I needed more and more to get the level of heat I wanted, to the point it was overpowering. So, on to the hotter version. You can't beat the flavor at that price point.

I really can't recommend it enough.  And it's funny how much cheaper it is than its close competitors.  Honestly I find it a little more versatile and complexly flavored than Cholula.  
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 632
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/14 15:20:37 (permalink)
We usually have on hand...

Franks; great all around use, especially on pizza
Tabasco, either the regular, or the jalapeno; or both
Choulua, and use this almost always as our sauce to go with eggs, we like it that way...
Crystal is also usually around; I like this on jambalaya, gumbo, etc.

usually also have a mixed bag of hot salsas; and the occasional bottle of spicy ketchup.

Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/14 16:34:13 (permalink)
Let's see...
Tabasco, Tabasco Green, Tabasco Chipotle, Trappey's Louisiana Hot Sauce, Trappey's Hot Peppers, Franks Red Hot, Louisiana Gold Green Sauce, Tuong Ot Sriracha, and some Sambal Oelek (sp). I really like Trappey's old bull sauce, but I haven't seen it in years. Also a fan of Crystal and a few other New Orleans staple sauces.
bartl
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/16 12:21:32 (permalink)
the grillman
Franks; great all around use, especially on pizza
Tabasco, either the regular, or the jalapeno; or both
Choulua, and use this almost always as our sauce to go with eggs, we like it that way...
Crystal is also usually around; I like this on jambalaya, gumbo, etc.

One thing that distinguishes the hot sauces I have is that I can differentiate them from each other in a bind taste test. I don't think I could differentiate Frank's from Crystal in a blind taste test; they are both cayenne sauces. Still, just the Crystal bottle brings back memories of the Comidas Chinas y Criollas (Chinese/Cuban) that used to dot the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City (there are still a few left, there).

Bart

iceomat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/17 00:31:00 (permalink)
Cholula Chili Lime is wonderful stuff! It perks up just about any Mexican dish.

I also use Louisiana Hot Sauce as an every-day hot sauce. Good on eggs, fish, chicken. Anything, really.

Sriracha is great as well.
bartl
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/17 11:09:56 (permalink)
I personally find that lime-flavored ANYTHING gets real tired, real soon. And it's not that I don't like lime juice; I used to always have a couple of fresh limes in my refrigerator, but I found that Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice is close enough to fresh that I now keep a bottle of that in my refrigerator. When I want lime juice, I put in lime juice (although the Chili Lime hot sauces I have tried also tend to have a bit of cumin in them that can be nice).

Bart
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/17 14:13:46 (permalink)
I usually keep just two sauces around, Tabasco (red) for just about anything, especially barbeque and "Pickapeppa". My dad loved Pickapeppa and introduced me to it. It's not real hot and is a bit on the sweet side.

bartl
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/17 14:46:17 (permalink)
Davebassman
I usually keep just two sauces around, Tabasco (red) for just about anything, especially barbeque and "Pickapeppa". My dad loved Pickapeppa and introduced me to it. It's not real hot and is a bit on the sweet side.

Pickapeppa always seemed to me to be a slightly sweeter and hotter form of Worcestershire sauce.

Bart
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/17 19:57:18 (permalink)
bartl
Pickapeppa always seemed to me to be a slightly sweeter and hotter form of Worcestershire sauce.
 Bart

Yeah, that's a pretty good take on it. Has a bit Hoisin quality to it. 
JayL
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/17 22:57:58 (permalink)
For the "runny" hot sauces I like Cholula.  Tabasco is the old standby, but it just doesn't taste all that great.

For better tasting sauces I like Matouks.  Their Calypso is our go-to. 

Normally we just make our own.  Having a Trinidadian in our household really helps on the pepper-sauce front...
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/19 23:15:50 (permalink)

Vacationed in Kentucky a week ago and ate at Patti's a few times (easily the best place to eat in that area) and really liked their hot sauce.  I bought a couple jars to take home.

post edited by tkitna - 2014/08/19 23:17:40
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/08/20 02:47:03 (permalink)
tkitna

Vacationed in Kentucky a week ago and ate at Patti's a few times (easily the best place to eat in that area) and really liked their hot sauce.  I bought a couple jars to take home.

Interesting! It's not every sauce that announces the presence of onion. And I love both Vidalia onions and jalapenos, so I'm keen to try this. What do you use it on?
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/09/02 04:53:12 (permalink)
Ketteract
tkitna

Interesting! It's not every sauce that announces the presence of onion. And I love both Vidalia onions and jalapenos, so I'm keen to try this. What do you use it on?

Sorry it took me so long to respond Ketteract.  I would recommend it on Pork and Chicken or even some Mexican dishes.  Its got some bite to it.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1173
Re:What hot sauces do you use? 2014/09/02 10:48:21 (permalink)
Crystal -  directly on food and for mixing with ketchup as a dipping sauce for french fries and onion rings 

Sirachi - for cooking, and mixed with soy sauce for a dipping sauce for tempura chicken tenders
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1