What is BBQ? In your part of the world?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 395
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/22 15:14:04 (permalink)
Up until recently (15 years or so), in eastern Virginia, if you order Barbeque you got pork - chopped, usually, sometimes pulled. But as the military population has burgeoned (sp?) so has the diversity of BBQ offerings. Now we got it all, depending on where you go - pork, ribs, chicken, sausage, turkey legs and chicken wings. Whew! One of the best examples of this in the area is very close to Langley Air Force Base - County Grill and Smokehouse.
There are others too - Smokin' Joes (locally owned, 5 locations) and Extra Billy's and Buz&Ned's in Richmond.

Cathy
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/22 15:24:37 (permalink)
Where I'm at in Florida it's Sonny's. If you leave Gainesville, go west about 15 miles to Newberry, right before the railroad tracks make a left(by the Dollar General)into the "quarters", the people down there are harmless, really. Go up 2 blocks and there you have BBQ! Old man Cason died a few weeks ago but he has plenty of proteges(sp?) to keep the place alive. Strictly take out, beef, pork, ribs of both, sausage, chicken, goat... all cooked over an open fire for hours and hours. It's spectacular.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/22 16:34:04 (permalink)
In my part of the worls, wherever that may be, Bar-B-Q is something
to be avoided like the plague.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/22 16:47:04 (permalink)
In metro Atlanta, the most popular and the most commonly found bbq is chopped pork. Pork ribs are popular, but when you ask for bbq - the assumption is that you want pork. There are a couple of places which do a wonderful job with brisket - but they sell a lot of pork as well. Most serve a sweet sauce on the pork - applied when the meat is served.
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/22 17:45:53 (permalink)
In other words, BBQ is sort of like happiness. No two people have the exact same definition.
The Bear
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/23 07:37:33 (permalink)
In my world BBQ is smoked at low temperatures for long periods of time. When served it's bare with several sauces on the table alongside baked beans, cole slaw, macaroni salad, etc.

CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6559
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/02/23 20:06:20 (permalink)
In my catered que world (SE Indiana, SW Ohio, N KY):

Most of my clients go for PORK, pulled or chopped
Then 1/4 chickens
Then Ribs
Finally Brisket
(forget about sausage, they look at you funny and wonder WTF you are talking about)

Personally

Pulled Pork
Sausage
Ribs
Chicken
Brisket
daytrader106
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/03/23 05:40:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

In other words, BBQ is sort of like happiness. No two people have the exact same definition.
The Bear

That is about It Bear.
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/03/24 09:43:34 (permalink)
In my part of the world ? something that men do on Bank Holidays, summer evenings or not-too-inclement Sundays . They tend to think that burning the hell out of a few fifth rate burgers, sausages and pallid little bits of battery chicken ( over either an overheated overstuffed-with-charcoal grill with the fat flaring up everywhere or some supersonic gas/electric powered gadget that cost almost as much as second hand car and is used about twice before discarding ) unites them with their mammoth hunting open fire caveman cookery past. This is usually undertaken whilst dressed in a comedy apron, often with representation of bits of female anatomy on them. And a chef's hat. To show they are serious.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4653
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/03/24 09:50:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MissKitty

In my part of the world ? something that men do on Bank Holidays, summer evenings or not-too-inclement Sundays . They tend to think that burning the hell out of a few fifth rate burgers, sausages and pallid little bits of battery chicken ( over either an overheated overstuffed-with-charcoal grill with the fat flaring up everywhere or some supersonic gas/electric powered gadget that cost almost as much as second hand car and is used about twice before discarding ) unites them with their mammoth hunting open fire caveman cookery past. This is usually undertaken whilst dressed in a comedy apron, often with representation of bits of female anatomy on them. And a chef's hat. To show they are serious.

Hey Miss Kitty, over here we have BBQ Queens
http://www.bbqqueens.com/
MissKitty
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/03/24 10:01:13 (permalink)
Yes Bill - but those ladies look like they can produce edible food, the majority of Brit so called BBQ'rs don't :P ( although I will say there is an uprising resurgance, led by example of TV chefs such as Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and Rick Stein, in hot/cold smoking foods at home and small companies doing the same - not quite BBQ but getting there ! )
wingmanBBF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
RE: What is BBQ? In your part of the world? 2008/03/25 06:32:14 (permalink)

I come from CT, where I used to say I may be one of the three people in the state who understand that "Barbecue" is a noun, not a verb.
Now in FL, there are some viable dues-paid barbecue joints, I can talk woods and sauces with most of my neighbors, and I don't have to ask the butcher at the supermarket if he has any shoulders because they're actully in the case everyday.

WingmanBBF
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1