What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly?

Author
KevinBurg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Joined: 2008/02/06 22:07:00
  • Location: philadelphia, PA
  • Status: offline
2008/02/14 20:34:18 (permalink)

What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly?

My favorite is from Jack's at Hegerman and Wellington in Tacony, he's known mainly for his Italian's. I'm addicted to the "Downtowner", which has dry cured capi, proscuitto and sharp provolone on it. I find it's best with oil (what else would you get on an Italian hoagie?) and sweet peppers (his peppers are the best around.) All of his hoagies are made with a crusty, French bread roll. If you live in Philly and never had one, I strongly suggest you try one.
Anybody ever been to Chickie's on Federal street in South Philly?
#1

28 Replies Related Threads

    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18641
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/14 22:02:55 (permalink)
    What is capi?
    #2
    dtuck81
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Joined: 2007/01/21 12:31:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/14 22:08:01 (permalink)
    Capicola
    #3
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18641
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/14 22:12:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dtuck81

    Capicola


    Thanks. I never heard it called that -- at least not by any Italians.
    #4
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    • Joined: 2002/02/13 13:38:00
    • Location: Marietta, GA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 05:29:21 (permalink)
    Unless they opened a branch in Philly-proper recently my favorite is Capriotti's which has several in the suburbs nearby. Great subs and a great selection.
    #5
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Joined: 2003/03/10 13:00:00
    • Location: Wilmington, DE
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 07:47:34 (permalink)
    Sarcone's is top of my list. Capritotti's is our hometown go to but, for small local chains I prefer Primo's.
    #6
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    • Joined: 2008/01/15 10:41:00
    • Location: Oakland, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 07:59:33 (permalink)
    My fav. is an American Hogie-it has ham,bologna,american cheese,l,t,o,mayo,and white vinager.--
    #7
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 09:17:32 (permalink)
    The Mama Mia at Campos
    #8
    tiggs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    • Joined: 2005/03/20 01:28:00
    • Location: Philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 09:21:49 (permalink)
    The Italian Diablo at Primo's.
    #9
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    • Joined: 2005/08/04 13:09:00
    • Location: Crofton, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 10:47:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by dtuck81

    Capicola


    Thanks. I never heard it called that -- at least not by any Italians.


    at least he spelled prosciutto correctly


    oops...my mistake...he didn't spell that right either!
    LOL.

    #10
    strongy78
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    • Joined: 2005/05/17 13:30:00
    • Location: San Diego, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 11:52:06 (permalink)
    Sarcones hands down! Anything you get there is great. I have had the Mama Mia at Campos and it was very tasty too. Have to go with Sarcones though. Medium old fashioned Italian sub. Cant be beat!
    #11
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Joined: 2007/07/07 20:21:00
    • Location: Warminster, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 20:41:44 (permalink)
    Sarcones Old Italian is actually our number one and has been for two years.

    Mama Mia gets number one votes each year also. But That is on a Sarcone roll, so go figure.

    You have me interested with the one in Tacony.

    Chickies was a little wierd to be honest. The day we checked it out the owner and one of his female employees were screaming at each other in a drop down serious fight while we were ordering and waiting for our hoagie. Placed was packed and they did not seem to mind. Hoagie was OK but I remember that more then the hoagie...

    We are always looking to find new hoagies. What else you got?

    Tony
    #12
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6313
    • Joined: 2007/08/16 17:35:00
    • Location: brick, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 20:56:26 (permalink)
    Genoa salami,Hot pepper ham(safe with the spelling!),pepperoni,provolone,tomato,lettuce,balsamic vinegar,hot peppers,sweet peppers,onions,salt and pepper
    #13
    KevinBurg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    • Joined: 2008/02/06 22:07:00
    • Location: philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 20:58:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by eatingteam

    Sarcones Old Italian is actually our number one and has been for two years.

    Mama Mia gets number one votes each year also. But That is on a Sarcone roll, so go figure.

    You have me interested with the one in Tacony.

    Chickies was a little wierd to be honest. The day we checked it out the owner and one of his female employees were screaming at each other in a drop down serious fight while we were ordering and waiting for our hoagie. Placed was packed and they did not seem to mind. Hoagie was OK but I remember that more then the hoagie...

    We are always looking to find new hoagies. What else you got?

    Tony

    Salumeria or Spataro's in the Reading terminal. Both make excellent Italian hoagies. Carmen's in the RTM makes a great chicken cutlet hoagie, the mayo/mustard (??) sauce is incredible. Try an Italian from Jack's and let me know what you think. Call first - 215 624 5322, he tends to get moody.
    #14
    KevinBurg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    • Joined: 2008/02/06 22:07:00
    • Location: philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/15 20:59:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

    Genoa salami,Hot pepper ham(safe with the spelling!),pepperoni,provolone,tomato,lettuce,balsamic vinegar,hot peppers,sweet peppers,onions,salt and pepper

    From where?
    #15
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Joined: 2003/03/10 13:00:00
    • Location: Wilmington, DE
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/16 08:18:32 (permalink)
    Salumeria and Carmen's always look good in RTM but I never get past DiNic's. One of these days...
    #16
    KevinBurg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    • Joined: 2008/02/06 22:07:00
    • Location: philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/16 11:16:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RC51Mike

    Salumeria and Carmen's always look good in RTM but I never get past DiNic's. One of these days...

    I hear ya'!
    #17
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Joined: 2007/07/07 20:21:00
    • Location: Warminster, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/17 15:35:08 (permalink)
    any others? outside the RTM?

    Tony
    #18
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/17 16:08:13 (permalink)
    Tony: Civera's Deli on State Road in Drexel Hill (Delaware County). Take it from me - as good as anywhere.

    Red's' 1900 S. 9th. in Philly YUMMM!

    Used to go to: Fran's Deli on Susquehanna Ave. in Fishtown and/or Vivarina's 2455 Opal St. in South Philly...check out if they're still open. they were top notch.

    Try Soko's 2313 N. Front. St. Excellent cheesesteaks and hoagies

    But one of my all-time favorite places for hoagies is Fink's King of Gourmet Hoagies on Princeton Ave. in NE Philly (www.finkshoagies.com) try The Pennypack or The Torresdale: SUPERB
    #19
    KevinBurg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    • Joined: 2008/02/06 22:07:00
    • Location: philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/17 17:49:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by eatingteam

    any others? outside the RTM?

    Tony

    I pretty much stick with the places that I mentioned. I am going to try Sarcone's though.
    #20
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Joined: 2007/07/07 20:21:00
    • Location: Warminster, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/17 19:05:09 (permalink)
    Let's get that Delco tour back on hte books for next month. Email me with a couple possible dates

    Tony
    #21
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 11:10:11 (permalink)
    Tony: Dates have been sent. I have a couple tours in mind. I'll update you privately.
    #22
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    • Joined: 2000/10/23 05:15:00
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 13:04:59 (permalink)
    Tony and Scott, put me in the loop for this.
    #23
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 13:16:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

    Tony and Scott, put me in the loop for this.


    Howard: Great!!
    #24
    eatingteam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    • Joined: 2007/07/07 20:21:00
    • Location: Warminster, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 13:32:29 (permalink)
    been waiting to repay the favor...

    Tony
    #25
    peanutluv
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    • Joined: 2006/05/04 19:49:00
    • Location: philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 17:00:20 (permalink)
    Primo Hoagies are great nice Hard Sesame Roll packed with Meat.I just got the Abruzzi-Roasted Pork,Sharp Provalone,and Broccoli Rabe.Very good.The "Diablos" are good too.




    #26
    mikez629
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    • Joined: 2008/01/15 10:41:00
    • Location: Oakland, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 17:04:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

    Tony: Civera's Deli on State Road in Drexel Hill (Delaware County). Take it from me - as good as anywhere.

    Red's' 1900 S. 9th. in Philly YUMMM!

    Used to go to: Fran's Deli on Susquehanna Ave. in Fishtown and/or Vivarina's 2455 Opal St. in South Philly...check out if they're still open. they were top notch.

    Try Soko's 2313 N. Front. St. Excellent cheesesteaks and hoagies

    But one of my all-time favorite places for hoagies is Fink's King of Gourmet Hoagies on Princeton Ave. in NE Philly (www.finkshoagies.com) try The Pennypack or The Torresdale: SUPERB

    How long has finks been in busines-I used to work around that area 10 years ago and don't rememeber it. That is one nice hoagie joint-will definatly hit that next time I stop home.
    #27
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    • Joined: 2003/04/10 18:23:00
    • Location: West Chester, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/18 17:12:02 (permalink)
    I think about 5 years or less

    #28
    KevinBurg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    • Joined: 2008/02/06 22:07:00
    • Location: philadelphia, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: What is Your Favorite Hoagie in Philly? 2008/02/19 19:33:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peanutluv

    Primo Hoagies are great nice Hard Sesame Roll packed with Meat.I just got the Abruzzi-Roasted Pork,Sharp Provalone,and Broccoli Rabe.Very good.The "Diablos" are good too.






    Yes, Primo's does make a delicious hoagie! I prefer the one on Clearfield though, sometimes the rolls are "off" at the Frankford and Magee location.
    #29
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1