The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What is that one dish...

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
What is that one dish... Wed, 11/2/11 3:57 PM (permalink)
That WOWS everyone you serve it to?

Mine is Thai Shrimp.

Simple recipe if you can get the ingredients.

In pan  (I use a wok just because)

A little oil

A tablespoon of Thai Red Curry Paste  (No, it's not like Indian Curry)

Stir, stir, stir

Throw in some sugar and some fish sauce.

Stir, stir, stir...

Throw in some peeled, deveined shrimp and stir until cooked through.  Don't put in too many or they'll not be spicy enough.

Want more?  Repeat until you have all you want.

You can add some water if you want more sauce.

Great this way over rice or as an appetizer.

Or...  Stir in some unsweetened coconut milk and again... serve over rice.

I get the WOW's by the simple sans coconut milk preperation when served as an appetizer.

<message edited by mar52 on Wed, 11/2/11 5:08 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
    Re:What is that one dish... Wed, 11/2/11 4:35 PM (permalink)
    My dish is enchilada's. I have given my recipe to many, but EVERYONE says they cannot duplicate it. My nephew said it best-" Auntie Ann makes them with love"...awwww...

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
      Re:What is that one dish... Wed, 11/2/11 5:01 PM (permalink)
      Hen's teeth...Nobody has ever had them before!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9566
        Re:What is that one dish... Thu, 11/3/11 4:19 AM (permalink)
        My Oysters Rockefeller on Christmas Eve. I do them a little differently using Parsley instead of Spinach.
        HO! HO!’s CHRISTMAS EVE OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER 
        This recipe is from my Mother’s “Woman’s Home Companion Cook Book”, copyright 1942, consisting of over 950 pages of recipes, cooking methods, food education and things food related that you don’t find in modern day cookbooks. It’s my Cooking Bible.
        Oysters Rockefeller
        Ingredients
        3 Doz oysters on the half shell
        1/2 C finely chopped green onion
        ¼ c finely chopped chives
        2 C finely chopped parsley
        ½ C finely chopped celery
        1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
        1/4 # softened salted butter plus butter for making crumb mixture.
        2 TBSP Tony’s cajun seasoning
        Dash of Red Pepper
        S & P to taste
        Buttered Italian bread crumbs
        1 box rock salt
        Pie pans 
        Directions
        Combine onion, chives, parsley, celery, lemon juice, and seasonings  
        Cream the ¼ # of butter and add the above mixture. Blend well. 
        Put a layer of rock salt in the pans and nest the oysters on the half shell in the rock salt.
        Keeps them warm and prevents tipping over. 
        Top each oyster with a spoonful of the butter blend mixture and sprinkle with buttered crumbs 
        Bake in a moderate oven (375 degrees) for 25-30 minutes or until crumbs are browned. 
        Serves 6
        I really don't have just one dish. My family & friends like everything I cook or make. Some of them are:
        Deep Fried Turkey, Chili, Standing Prime Rib Roasts on my rotisserie Grill, Crown Roast, Biscuits, Beef Wellington, Yorkshire Pudding, Stuffing, Bloody Marys, French Toast, Veggie Soup plus many others,
        <message edited by Foodbme on Sat, 11/5/11 3:35 AM>

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
          Re:What is that one dish... Thu, 11/3/11 9:04 AM (permalink)
          Braised Sauerkraut

2 lbs. fresh sauerkraut, rinsed, drained & then squeeze out most of the water
          1/3 lb. bacon, diced
          1 large onion, diced fine
          12 oz. beer…I usually use an amber for taste & color
          Caraway seeds & cracker pepper to taste
          Salt…because of the bacon, hold off salting until the dish is just about done.

In a large skillet (that has a lid), sauté the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon & reserve. Add the onion to the skillet & sauté until golden. Stir in the kraut, beer, bacon, pepper & caraway & heat until the beer starts to boil. Reduce the heat to very low & partially cover.  Simmer for at least two hours (stirring every 10-15 minutes) until the kraut has a deep brown color. Salt (if needed) & serve with brats or kielbasa or kick up some hot dogs on a bun.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
            Re:What is that one dish... Thu, 11/3/11 10:58 AM (permalink)
            It's simple, but my coworkers clamor for me to make it when we have potluck lunches, my grandmother's sweet and sour green beans with bacon. The only thing I changed was that I use fresh green beans instead of canned, the beans stand up to stirring better and they keep a lot of their crunch.
            My gram's recipe reads:
            2 qt green beans
            1/2 cup cider vinegar
            1/2 cup sugar
            3 slices bacon
            Cut up bacon and fry until very crisp, set aside. Into the bacon drippings, add the vinegar and sugar. (Note: the recipe doesn't give the obvious advice to let the bacon fat cool down or the cold vinegar hitting the hot oil will cause you some problems). Add drained green beans and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. When ready to serve, crumble bacon and stir in.

I don't follow it to a T, I use a little less sugar, and heat the fat, vinegar, and sugar to almost a boil before I add the beans. When the beans are cooked, I'll taste them and adjust seasoning (more vinegar or sugar, etc.) I'll also use a half pound of bacon instead of just 3 strips, but I've also never cooked it without making more than 2 quarts of beans. Maybe 3 pounds of fresh beans to a half pound of bacon.
            It's simple, but boy howdy do they taste good, and it's very hard to mess them up. I'll make it without the bacon sometimes, and use olive oil for the fat component, and add some onion and garlic powder. I'll cook them a little hotter and faster, more like a saute, so they keep more of their crunch.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
              Re:What is that one dish... Thu, 11/3/11 7:14 PM (permalink)
              ann peeples

My dish is enchilada's. I have given my recipe to many, but EVERYONE says they cannot duplicate it. My nephew said it best-" Auntie Ann makes them with love"...awwww...

I'd like to give it a shot if you wouldn't mind sharing it here.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                Re:What is that one dish... Thu, 11/3/11 7:25 PM (permalink)
                cavandre, Your recipe for braised sauerkraut is similar to something I do. I got the recipe from Greymo, originally, but I added bacon and onions. I bake it according to Greymo's directions for three hours with a bottle of beer for the liquid, checking every hour to make certain the liquid level remains and the sauerkraut doesn't dry out (if necessary I'll add some water) -- stirring each hour. And after three hours I add kielbasa and let it bake for another hour.

This is wonderful stuff. Have a good mustard for the kielbasa, some rye bread and butter, and a good ale, and it becomes a sublime meal.

Thank you again Greymo.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3298
                  Re:What is that one dish... Thu, 11/3/11 7:49 PM (permalink)
                  Shoot...there are so many! Probably the recent one most often requested (and gone almost immediately) is actually an appetizer. Crunchy Crabmeat Bites. I use a TON more dill than it calls for, and always make the filling a day ahead so the flavours have time to meld.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/Crunchy-Crabmeat-Bites/r4880.html

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6232
                    Re:What is that one dish... Fri, 11/4/11 6:23 PM (permalink)
                    Potato gnocchi with Bolognaise sauce made with my own canned tomatoes.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                      Re:What is that one dish... Sun, 11/6/11 7:40 AM (permalink)
                      As far as my kids are concerned- fried chicken with all the trimmings:
                      Fried chicken like my grandmother's. 
                      Mashed potatoes/gravy
                      Creamed corn
                      WV green beans
                      cucumbers/ onions in vinegar
                      cole slaw
                      hot rolls
                      The most recently requested dish is Ina Garten's chicken pot pie, best I've ever tasted.!

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                        Re:What is that one dish... Sun, 11/6/11 9:25 AM (permalink)
                        Michael Hoffman

cavandre, Your recipe for braised sauerkraut is similar to something I do. I got the recipe from Greymo, originally, but I added bacon and onions. I bake it according to Greymo's directions for three hours with a bottle of beer for the liquid, checking every hour to make certain the liquid level remains and the sauerkraut doesn't dry out (if necessary I'll add some water) -- stirring each hour. And after three hours I add kielbasa and let it bake for another hour.

This is wonderful stuff. Have a good mustard for the kielbasa, some rye bread and butter, and a good ale, and it becomes a sublime meal.

Thank you again Greymo.

MIchael, a simple meal with great flavor, I could close my eyes and see the Kielbasa plumping up while cooking in the Sauerkraut, the loaf of Rye bread " Fresh out of the oven" A thing of the past, real butter, and like you said, wash it all down with a good Ale................Thanks for the memories my friend.....................pnwc

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                          Re:What is that one dish... Sun, 11/6/11 1:03 PM (permalink)
                          Spinach Bread - it's an appetizer, always goes over well at parties, though you could make it just for snacking, or with a soup even.  It's a rich, cheesy-spinach mixture you spread on French bread, broil, cut in 2" slices and serve, hot and bubbly, 

Foodbme

Re:What is that one dish... Sun, 11/6/11 3:33 PM (permalink)
                            BelleReve

Spinach Bread - it's an appetizer, always goes over well at parties, though you could make it just for snacking, or with a soup even.  It's a rich, cheesy-spinach mixture you spread on French bread, broil, cut in 2" slices and serve, hot and bubbly, 

Give us the "Cheesy-Spinach Mixture" recipe please!
                            <message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 11/6/11 3:34 PM>

mar52

Re:What is that one dish... Sun, 11/6/11 4:11 PM (permalink)
                              Yes, please.

BelleReve

Re:What is that one dish... Sun, 11/6/11 11:50 PM (permalink)
                                Spinach Bread

1 stick butter, softened
                                1/2 cup finely chopped onion
                                1 10-12 oz. pkg. frozen, chopped spinach, follow directions for cooking on pkg, and drain well (be sure all excess moisture is squeezed out)
                                12 oz. Velveeta, cut in small cubes
                                11/2 tsps. Tony Chachere's
                                couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce 
                                2-3 dashes of Tabasco
                                grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
                                1 lb sliced Mozzarella
                                1 loaf of po boy-sized French bread (20"-22" long with rounded ends)

Cut bread in half, then cut each half lengthwise to make four pieces.  Arrange on a cookie, or baking sheet, and spread  butter on the pieces, set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine onion, spinach, Tony's, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce.  Mix with an electric mixer, or by hand.  Spread spinach mixture on the bread slices.  Sprinkle each piece generously with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.  If you use those rectangular slices of Mozzarella, cut each piece in half, then cut each on the diagonal to give you two triangles, arrange the cheese slices on the bread.

Preheat oven to 350, slide the bread in, and cook 5-8 minutes (this is not exact, check the sides and when they start crisping up, then change the oven setting to "broil" and cook 3-5 minutes longer.  Again, you just have to watch the cheese, you don't want to burn it, but you want it melted and really hot, bubbling, and with brown spots here and there, similar to the cheese topping on a pizza.  Remove from oven, slice in 2" pieces, and serve hot.

I hope this recipe makes sense - it can be made ahead,  wrapped in Saran wrap, and kept refrigerated until ready to cook (my brother freezes the slices, then cooks small batches for just himself and his wife).  If you try this, let me know how it comes out. 

mar52

Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                  Thank you.

(Velveta?)

Foodbme

Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 2:33 AM (permalink)
                                    mar52

Thank you.
                                    (Velveeta?)

Yes, Thank You!
                                    Sure Mar, Velveeta's good for this kinda recipe!
                                    One of my favorite dips is a can of Rotel (Drained) and a block of Velveeta melted in a double boiler. Serve with chips.
                                    <message edited by Foodbme on Mon, 11/7/11 2:36 AM>

BelleReve

Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 5:56 AM (permalink)
                                      The original recipe called for 2 pkgs. (6 oz. each) of Kraft garlic cheese roll, and since they don't make it anymore, Velveeta is the closest thing to it, unless you can think of another product to use.

Foodbme is right, Velveeta is good for this type of dish.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                                        Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 9:29 AM (permalink)
                                        claracamille

The most recently requested dish is Ina Garten's chicken pot pie, best I've ever tasted.!

Looks wonderful:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-pot-pie-recipe/index.html

mar52

Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                          Oh, Velveeta can be good.  I just thought it might be a bit salty.

Have you tried the Buffalo Velveeta?  Spicy!

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 939
                                            Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                            I see Velveeta in the list of ingredients (12 oz. Velveeta, cut in small cubes), but not where it's actually included in the recipe... unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).

BelleReve

Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                              you're right, Seamus, the Velveeta cubes should be mixed in with the spinach, onion, Tony's, etc. 

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                                                Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

Thank you again Greymo.

MIchael, a simple meal with great flavor, I could close my eyes and see the Kielbasa plumping up while cooking in the Sauerkraut, the loaf of Rye bread " Fresh out of the oven" A thing of the past, real butter, and like you said, wash it all down with a good Ale................Thanks for the memories my friend.....................pnwc

As it happens, I'm making it for dinner this evening. I got a late start, so it won't be ready till around 9 tonight. The ale this evening will be Smithwick's.

And yes, I do know how to pronouce it.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                  • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:What is that one dish... Mon, 11/7/11 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  My thanksgiving meals and desserts always get rave reviews

my single dish that is simple and gets raves - Spaghetti Carbonara

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com