What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants?

Author
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 421
2009/09/16 16:00:18 (permalink)

What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants?

Hello all,

Just trying to figure out the deal with all the little nats or what ever that I keep seeing flying around INSIDE of places to eat? I have been to 4 places over the last 2 weeks, some fast food, some higher up on the ladder like a Red Lobster, Boston Market, etc. In every single case there were these little flies that were a big turn off buzzing around. I say flies because I don't know what they are but they look very tiny and are smaller than flies. They were near the windows, walls without windows AND in the middle tables far away from the walls, etc. One place it was so bad we had to leave because we couldn't enjoy the meal. We had to keep watching our drinks and food or covering it between bites. My kids and I were not having it. Manager tried to move us but they were in the other section too. The manager could see them around but could not say why they were there except that they were some kinda fruit fly or something? First thing I said was you don't sell any fruit? Anyway, we left after a few minutes to go to another place that didn't have them.

As I looked around at the other people eating before we left and I couldn't help but notice 85% seemed to drinking alcohol so I'm wondering if the booze effected them not noticing or caring? Dunno but I can tell you I didn't like it, don't like it, don't understand it and frankly don't care what the reason is. I can't eat at places that have these things buzzing around our tables and I don't expect my kids to either. Maybe it's me (it could be) and maybe it doesn't bother you or you don't have them where ever you are but if someone could dive into what these little things are, why are they there and if you should expect to not have them in these places of business I would appreciate it.

I'm, listening.

13 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 16:17:29 (permalink)
    Well, I am, at present,  eating in restaurants in the same state that you live in  and I have never seen anything like you describe.  But then I am one of the 85 percent that is drinking alcchol so maybe that is why I have never seen this.
    Or maybe it is that I am drinking enough alcohol so that I don't care what is flying around.
    analei
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 16:22:02 (permalink)
    Hmm..i think you might be referring to fruit flies.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ge..d-of-Fruit-Flies--maybe those places need a link to that website.

BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 16:31:29 (permalink)
    Hey Dawg, When I don't change my underwear for a few weeks I see them more often. I also have seen them in Restaurant water Drains, drain collection areas Garbage cans. Of course you know about fruit, keep it for a few days and the suckers show up. This isn't something the customer should have to put up with. Its a back of the house problem, and they should have someone take care of it. They also deal with fruit at the bar so there could be a problem there also.............Bill
    That'sMyDawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 16:45:12 (permalink)
    BillyB

Hey Dawg, When I don't change my underwear for a few weeks I see them more often. I also have seen them in Restaurant water Drains, drain collection areas Garbage cans. Of course you know about fruit, keep it for a few days and the suckers show up. This isn't something the customer should have to put up with. Its a back of the house problem, and they should have someone take care of it. They also deal with fruit at the bar so there could be a problem there also.............Bill

lol your crazy Billy. I thought about the bar thing and I guess that's possible. Gonna check out the link that the other guy posted above to see what that's about but I know that someone else besides me has seen these things and know what I'm talking about..

Come on people, explain this, someone else has seen these I know! Come out, come out where ever your are....

Greymo--Or maybe it is that I am drinking enough alcohol so that I don't care what is flying around.
    Thats what I was saying that maybe people were "feeling good" because of the long island ice tea so they didn't notice??
    post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2009/09/16 16:47:10
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 16:56:00 (permalink)
    I have flies in my restaurant, not a lot a few, they are impossible to keep out, I'm out in Cow country, I get the inside and outside treated weekly, however it's impossible to keep them all out. The flies yor talking about Dawg comes from a dirty drain, those I don't have.
    PopsDogHouse
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 779
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:02:00 (permalink)
    This can be a problem in any restaurant if their isn't a planned pest management program in place.  They don't just have to be fruit flies.  If they are flies that breed in drains, there are products (like Drain Gel), to take care of that.  Preventative measures are the best course of action.
    That'sMyDawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:08:17 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

I have flies in my restaurant, not a lot a few, they are impossible to keep out, I'm out in Cow country, I get the inside and outside treated weekly, however it's impossible to keep them all out. The flies yor talking about Dawg comes from a dirty drain, those I don't have.

I get the cow country thing totally, what I don't get is this going on in city restaurants? "The dirty drain"? You mean a sink in the kitchen or something? Or a dirty drain as in sewer drain like out back and they are coming in the back door, etc? Just trying to understand what you are saying?

Let me also ask this to anyone. These flie things that you have seen are they really tiny? The ones I always see are very small and much smaller then a normal fly that's why I called them nats but I don't know exactly what they are. As for a gel or something to get rid of them that's not my job as a customer to tell a manager or what ever how to get rid of them. Good info for me if I ever get a brick and morter place but I doubt that a person running any place would listen to a customer about how to fix a situation.
    (ego and all)

Good enough coming in now, keep it coming.
    post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2009/09/16 17:14:36
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:14:29 (permalink)
    Dawg, the inside drain the one the sinks and dishwasher empty into, they come from the inside out I believe. Proper sanitation takes care of it quickly.
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:18:16 (permalink)
    I'm in Delaware/Maryland too, and yeah, alot of fruit flies/gnats around.  Coming from the produce, maybe the imported tomatoes or bananas or whathaveyou.   Since it's Maryland every single restaurant gets their produce from that evil Sysco corporation, so probably spreads very easily.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:19:18 (permalink)
    As long as there are no dogs or cats trying to eat my food I don't get too upset.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:19:28 (permalink)
    They can be fruit flies phorid flies or a variety of gnats. The problem is that if you do not locate the source they will stay and continue to cause an issue. It can be any number of sources from drains to drain cracks organic matter build up in voids between tiles mopping systems under floor mats soda lines trash and recycle bins. They feed off water and organic matter and love sugar. There are products to use but if there is a source is not seen  or obvious (very slow leak)  it remains an issue until it is sourced.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/16 17:20:59
    Inthewater
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2009/09/16 17:40:04 (permalink)
    Yep.  They must be totally decimated to get rid of them.  See it a lot where a small void in a bar or table leaves water or whatever from cleaning up, and they live/breed in there.

It is also a very common thing in cooler Fallish times of the year.  Any place with a patio, or big doors that open frequently, gonna have even more.

They can be kept at bay, but it is a big pain.  Usually, places do take measures, but if they get out of hand, they can swarm before you know it.

Just take off and nuke em from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

:)
    FruitFlyBarPro
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:What is the deal with the flies or nats flying around in restaurants? 2012/02/10 21:48:17 (permalink)
    PEST STRIPS HERE -
    I HAVE YOUR ANSWERS!!  All these posts never have a method of killing them or ridding them, but a method of trapping them.  You're still not getting rid of them!  Go to and you can purchase a single unit or a case (10 units)  the units last between 3-4 months.  Overall it's worth it!  People talk... and when you have tons of fruit flies people tell others not to go there because of how ANNOYING the fruit flies are!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1