What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business?

Author
foodie_lover**
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2013/02/19 14:38:32 (permalink)

What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business?

Hello all,

I am new to the forum. I know that the food truck industry is expanding at record rates, but because it is new there are a lot of holes in the market. So for the aspiring or veteren food truck/cart/trailer owner...

1. What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business?
2. What have you tried so far that hasn't worked for you?
3. What's your biggest fear when it comes to mobile food business
4. If you could have one question answered about your mobile food business what would it be?
5. What self-help product(s) do you wish were available to you now or before you started

8 Replies Related Threads

Rollin Smoke
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/19 17:29:06 (permalink)
    will we get paid to answer this survey...lol
    foodie_lover**
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/19 17:59:24 (permalink)
    Please no negative or left field comments. Either answer or pass. Thanks
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1994
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/19 22:37:20 (permalink)
    What's the info collected here going to be used for?
    TamaleTrolley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/24 00:42:08 (permalink)
    Our biggest frustration is event planners who think food trucks are caterers who will work for free. Many event planners think it makes sense to call out as many food trucks as possible. That way their clients get to see lots of colorful trucks and an interesting array of menu items. If it turns out the event really has only enough attendees to support (say) two trucks, but the event planner invited six, then guess what--none of the trucks are going to make any money but the planner will call the event a success.

I have had event planners get evasive if I try to get accurate information on how much competition has been invited to an event--I have even had two different ones intentionally lie to me about the number of trucks that had been invited. I have seen an event where nine food trucks were invited to an event where about 30 people showed up, and the event planner thought nothing of it. It does get to be a trial sometimes.

KH
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/24 13:30:43 (permalink)
    Yes promoters that give these big attendence numbers.I always go with 1/2 the quote.and have also been watching my new theory of taking the number of years after the first and turning that into a percent for attendance and it's pretty close.
    I.E 2nd year = 10%
    3rd year=20%,etc, up to about the 6th year then it drops or steady.
    But the promoter thinks the labor,fuel,time,food is free and we are just raking in the cash. 700.00 plus for the real estate then 1000 for food,400 for labor,300 for fuel.so that's 2400.00 just to have the same money as you did before you started.and then you have 7-10 trucks, and 150 people.you do the math.
    If someone wanted to come up with a product that vendors would use I think it would be called accurate count.I would be a independent accurate count of the last year or years of this event.not the promoters count of attendents and vendors.That way someone that is a pro like me can say I'm not going to make money at this or there may be a chance.But if that product was always off they wouldn't last long,But I do think there is a need,and it would have to be cheap.

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1994
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/24 13:56:45 (permalink)
    Some promoters just don't get it. I have someone bugging me Again this year to do a biker rally, there are only 200-300 people.
     Last year I told them I would not do it due to the low head count.
     This year she wants two food vendors! I explained to her that the low body count, assuming that even if 50% of the attendees ate something, it would not be enough.
    On top of a 60 mile round trip each day, fuel for the truck, generator, propane, labor, food, my time, a second food vendor cutting into a portion of sales, and a $100 vendor fee, she insists that I can make $$!
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/24 14:14:14 (permalink)
    If there was 300 people and your tickets were 8 per,that would be about 2300 - 1700ish in costs that's hardly worth it.now the facts, if 100 people that's only 800.00 and spilt that 400 ea but your costs are about the same.why not just give it to the needy guy on the corner and go fishing.
    Kokomo_Sno
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:What is your biggest frustration with your mobile food business? 2013/02/26 01:36:56 (permalink)
    Event promoters who lie.

Event coordinators who jack up the entry fee. I have one event coming up that is an additional $200 over last years fee. Same amount of real estate, just extra $crewing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1