What is your dogs favorite human food?

Author
youngaussienurse
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2004/09/19 23:03:00 (permalink)

What is your dogs favorite human food?

My spoilt little maltese poodle 'Holly' loves human food. Sometimes for a treat she gets her faves. She adores pasta with bolagnese sauce and gets a big red mark around her white mouth...I'm sure she's smilingShe also loooves cooked mince, rice with chicken tonight, sausages, yoghurt, cereal and crackers. One of her faves that she goes mad over is the chicken bits in canned chicken soup. She can smell it ten miles away and pesters whoever is eating it until she gets the chicken bits Today is her 6th birthday, so it is likely that she'll have one of her fave humanoid treats for her birthday dinner....is someone spoilt?????
Please have a look at Holly the dogs blog that I write for her. It is updated regularly and is all about her adventures in dog land
the address is:- http://rach22au.tblog.com/

26 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/19 23:55:07 (permalink)
    Duff likes Chinese, but he'll bite into a Mexican to see if he is too spicy before eating the whole one.
    He hates PETA MEMBERS, 'says they taste like Broccoli.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 01:10:56 (permalink)
    My long-haired dachshund will eat ANYTHING. I've never seen such a walking garbage disposal in my life. I've seen him snarf up BROCCOLI and beg for more. Geeezzz.

I think he enjoys eating the last of my yogurt more than anything. He'll lay with his head on his paws staring straight at me from across the room the whole time I'm eating a cup of yogurt. When I'm done, I put it on the floor and hold it with my feet; he rushes over and licks the container until it's completely clean (those long dachshund noses are custom-made for this task).
    Emilyparis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 02:03:54 (permalink)
    That makes two yogurt loving dogs. Violette, my Tibetain Spaniel, gets it as a treat. The other thing she likes is beer but I know it's not good and she only gets a tiny taste.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 06:39:36 (permalink)
    The Sundancer's English Bull, which is now deceased really liked some of my libations. A friend came over and brought a huge jug of pina colado's. I did not drink very much of it cause it was so sweet. My friend left the jug down at the dock and later on I took the dog down to the dock. I poured her some and she promptly consumed it so I poured her some more and she promptly drunk that. I continued that.

I walked back to the house and took a nap. I was sleeping soundly and the wife came storming into the study where I was napping madder than hades. She quickly announced that I had got her dog drunk. She let her out to take a leak and the dog fell off the deck and could not navigate back up the steps.

The dog had a hangover for a couple of days.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 08:44:09 (permalink)
    No dogs, but my late great cat Buttons loved Cold Sesame Noodles. He'd come over and lick the plate when I was done! He also loved yellow cake, but his favorite was Roast Turkey. On Thanksgiving, he'd sit next to the oven all day and meow fervently whenever I basted the bird. He'd be first in line when it came out of the oven. I miss the little guy- he was the perfect cat- clean , quiet, well trained and he had a dog disposition. He'd come when called, play fetch, stay in a fenced yard, but he wasn't too needy and in your face.
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 08:47:21 (permalink)
    My cat, Word, has an affinity for Popeye's fried chicken. He eats only legs, whole, not shredded, and he won't eat it if the skin is peeled off (apparently he enjoys their "spicy").

I assumed that he just liked chicken, but he turns his nose up to Church's & KFC. Popeye's is where it's at!

**crap. it said dog, not cat. forgive the feline intrusion, but our beagle doesn't eat "human" food. none of it. he won't eat anything other Eukanuba.**

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 09:19:08 (permalink)
    I used to have a dog named Morgan (a Brittany) that ate pretty much anything! Her favorite was carrots. One time I had pulled a bunch of young carrots from the garden to use in a stir fry. I had laid them on the back step while I finished up in the yard. When I got ready to go in, they were gone. I found Morgan laying out on the grass surrounded by carrot tops!" /> My garden was in a raised bed with a chicken wire fence. I would plant the sugar snaps near the edge so I could replant the area after the peas had gone by. Well, them peas hanging over the fence just at nibble level couln't be passed up by Morgan & I would find all of the peas at a certain level well chewed. Then one year, not thinking, I planted a jalapeno pepper plant in the corner after taking out the peas. You know, to a dog a jalapeno must look an awful lot like a fat sugar snap pea! Only a couple of chewed peppers & I never lost another pea!
    My Cairn, Jake, is the current ruler in my household. He doesn't get a lot of people food but he does love peanut butter. I just say the words & I get a Pavlov's response from him. His favorite way to get it is smeared inside a section of shin bone but he also likes peanut butter pretzels.
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 09:48:48 (permalink)
    My dogs love carrots too! My lab mix is always in the garden when I am weeding the carrots, this year she figured out how to dig them herself with my Jack Russell helping her- no carrots for humans this year! They both love cucumbers and the Jack barks at me every time I am making salad for some veggie treats.

They also love pizza crusts,sometimes to eat right away,bury them outside in good weather or I have found misc crusts up in the closet where the Lab sleeps, weird.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 10:14:26 (permalink)
    My Brussells Griffons (3) love my pulled pork BBQ. When I cook a batch of pork butts, they run around the house trying to follow the smell.

They also love plain old cooked white rice. You would think it was filet mignon the way they put it away.

John
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 10:16:24 (permalink)
    The only human food my dog gets are Kosher salami and swiss cheese sandwiches on (gulp) white bread with pepper, Batampte mustard and Hellman's mayonnaise. She gets one of those for lunch whenever she's hunting. Oh, and so do I. By the way, that's the only time I make such sandwiches with mayonnaise and anything other than rye bread.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 10:40:05 (permalink)
    My best buddy that I had to put down (cancer) in October loved any sort of noodles as well as steak of course. He started out liking wine but I think he decided he didn't care for the feeling it gave him. Worst thing I ever gave him was swedish meatballs, one of the spices made him loose control of his bowels, nutmeg I believe. I was taking a nap on the floor and he was lifting his leg on me! My brother had an English Bulldog that would root up potatoes from the garden and eat them. I've included a photo of Oz, he was a great dog. Just picked up a new boxer on Saturday.

trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 10:59:35 (permalink)
    I had a female orange tabby cat (now deceased after a 22 year life) who loved ripe cantalope, split pea soup and broiled salmon. She once drank the dregs out of several pina coladas at a party and woke us up chasing her tail on the dining room table. This was a fur person.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 11:02:38 (permalink)
    Our Schnoodle, Willie, will eat ANYTHING he can get is paws on. For example, we have to block his entrance to the room where the cat box is located. Got the idea? Not a discriminating palate.
    Goose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 11:37:45 (permalink)
    My dog has a fondness for policemen, but anyone in a uniform will do.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 11:42:59 (permalink)
    Edge, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I know the new boxer pup will not replace him, but I'm sure you will come to enjoy and love him just as much.

I can't begin to describe the things my cocker spaniel will eat. Miles has rarely met human food treats he doesn't like other than lettuce. He loves pieces of carrot, apple, and most other fruits. Pizza crusts are a favorite along with almost any roll or bread. Steak, chicken, are you kidding? He loves it all. Some dry spaghetti when we are having Italian gets mixed in with his dinner kibble. No sauce though, because it gives him gas.

We don't like to feed him too much unhealthy scraps as it makes him fat, but often we'll give him some carrot or pieces of apple for a snack instead of dog biscuits.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 11:56:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Theedge

By best buddy that I had to put down (cancer) in October loved any sort of noodles as well as steak of course. He started out liking wine but I think he decided he didn't care for the feeling it gave him. Worst thing I ever gave him was swedish meatballs, one of the spices made him loose control of his bowels, nutmeg I believe. I was taking a nap on the floor and he was lifting his leg on me! My brother had an English Bulldog that would root up potatoes from the garden and eat them. I've included a photo of Oz, he was a great dog. Just picked up a new boxer on Saturday.

So sorry to hear about Oz! He was a gorgeous dog!
    Jennifer_4
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 11:59:59 (permalink)
    My mini doxie's (Minnie)current fave is little pretzel twists... she thinks they are some new toy that she can eat. Always wants me to throw em for awhile... of course she wants me to do that with her dog food too. She's also a sandwich and pizza stealer as is her compatriot black lab Doc.

The cats on the other hand love canned pasta, and the big one (Bob) loves cooked turkey or chicken with a passion..and neither of the cats will touch bologna or hot dogs even if they're starving. And when I open a tuna can..watch them come running!
    Donna Douglass
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 12:26:24 (permalink)
    Our mini-Dachsie (Tasha) loves cottage cheese, the love of which she developed once when I used it to put medicine (a pill) inside to hide it from her. We give her about half a teaspoon of cottage cheese as a treat but only as a treat. With the price of canine dental work these days, she doesn't get a single other thing that might or might not be detrimental to her teeth.

Donna
    Chumley
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 13:59:34 (permalink)
    Two of our three cats had a real fondness for human food, to the point where my wife and I made a point of giving them them their favorite human foods as a "last meal" before putting each of them down after long illnesses.

One of them loved Pepper Steak with Onions from the local Chinese restaurant. He loved it so much, in fact, that he once climbed me like a tree to get at a plate that I was carrying to the dinner table (You can imagine why he was my least favorite of the three! ).

The other loved the Goulash from Harold's New York Deli (reviewed here at http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1344). A true roadfooder in spirit, he would never eat it from any other venue.

When it was his time to go, we brought a huge platter of it over to the Vet's office. After sharing some up with the Doctor and the staff, we let him have at it and, as sick as he was, he practically swam in it! He was truly happy at that moment and it made us both cry.

Alas, Harold's changed the recipe (or the chef!) after that and the Goulash was never the same. I stopped ordering it. Seems appropriate, no? This cat I really miss!
    Jennifer_4
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 14:25:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Donna Douglass

Our mini-Dachsie (Tasha) loves cottage cheese, the love of which she developed once when I used it to put medicine (a pill) inside to hide it from her. We give her about half a teaspoon of cottage cheese as a treat but only as a treat. With the price of canine dental work these days, she doesn't get a single other thing that might or might not be detrimental to her teeth.

Donna

Don't you love minis??? We are waiting for our old lab to pass on before we bring in more of what he considers competition. My hubby, a former "feeder dog" hater, loves our little Minnie to the point of prowling the net for doxie adoption sites. She won him over with her odd trick of snuggling up to him and furiously licking only the left side of his neck. My father was a convert too.. "no more dogs" he said, til he met our beloved Heather, who stood up in his lap, flopped over on her back and put her nose to his cheek.
    Theedge
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 14:34:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    "no more dogs" he said

Hah,thats what I said too! Dogs are just to fun though. Thanks for the nice comments, loosing Oz was no fun.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 14:38:07 (permalink)
    After Wolfus- the Wonder Dog- passed on last year We didn't think any dog could get into my heart the way he did. He was a fussie eater. His dinner had to look like ours...not be like ours but appear to be from the same source. It had to be served into his dish from the stove or he would snub it for a long time and beg from us. When I wanted to annoy Jan I would whisper to Wolfus that she had some ice cream..he would take off like a shot to get up into her face and see if there was any trace remaining. One weak point for him. He would NOT eat in the car while we were moving. If we stopped somewhere he would chow down, but one the car started his concentration was on navigation not doggie-buffet.
    McDuff is less demanding, but he does like his dinner warm. It also must be served by Janet...not me. If I give hime a dish of something he will go to her and wait until she checks it then he will eat. If she isn't home he will pick at it for a bit, but wait for her return to dig in.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 15:30:10 (permalink)
    My 7yr old Yorkie actually only eats human food. Never found a canned or mix she likes. So I cook her up protein (usually chicken), starch(usually brown rice) and veg (whatever is colorful and fresh) and suate it everynight. She also gets vitamin supplements in the form of a powder.

Bessie is also a bit of an everydog when it comes to food. Loves fresh fruit, broccoli, tomatoes. Will only eat fresh fish on the first day it is cooked. Loves yogurt and cheese.

Tries in vain to drink coffee and tea. We give her some decaf as a treat.

And she is healthy as anything! We tried raw food diets and holistic type stuff, but she did not go for it. She'll only let me cook for her though, if my wife does anythign around her pan or dish, she will not touch it. Pretty touching in a way.
    Sushi_Girl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 15:44:34 (permalink)
    My Munchkin cat oliver loves potato chips, Evie my calico loves liverwurst, and my tabby Mazzy loves anything he can get his paws on,I dont feed them human food, its meow mix or nothing but im not above an occasional treat. I cannot STAND pets who beg for food, its unnerving and rude.
    Theedge
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 16:40:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    I cannot STAND pets who beg for food, its unnerving and rude.

Yeah I don't care for that either. My dog always knows he eat's second if he's going to have human food. I'm a bachelor and often eat on the couch. I had pizza last night with the new puppy. I only had to push him away a few times before he realized it wasn't for him. After that he sat contently next to me on the couch with out bothering me. Oz always new there was an extra cheeseburger, steak or bowl of pasta, just had to wait his turn.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: What is your dogs favorite human food? 2004/09/20 16:53:52 (permalink)
    Pwingsx the wonder Corgi (his real name is the Corgi formerly known as Prince) likes ice cream. It's the only people food he gets because he can't stomach any other human food.

And we share the same spoon. So there.

He also chews ice cubes.

And girl scout cookies, as long as they're made from real girl scout (okay, that's an old old joke).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1