What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/01/25 13:06:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Top

Fried is good, broiled is good, but St Jacques would be my pick.
There are three different versions in Howard Mitcham's 'Provincetown Seafood Cookbook', and I pick bits from each depending on what's in the pantry.

I actually combine two of Howard's recipes for the version I mentioned above that we like on rice.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/01/25 16:34:34 (permalink)
I like mine about as basic as it comes. Scallops tossed in flour, salt and pepper(corn or rice flour is even better) Saute' in some lemon juice, garlic, butter and a couple dashes of Grand Marnier. Serve with the saute' sauce over rice. Mmmmmmm
Ready4Fun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/03/05 15:52:23 (permalink)
I've always thought of scallops as my favorite seafood, but it wasn't until the middle 1980s that I knew just how wonderful scallops could be. I was at a (sadly now out of business) sushi bar on Peachtree in Atlanta (only my second time eating sushi, taken there by a girlfriend of mine who had lived in Japan), and she decided I was ready for sashimi (the fish alone, without the sushi rice). I placed this large white round raw object on my tongue, and my mouth was immediately filled with sweet warmness that didn't even require any mastication--it all but DISSOLVED in my mouth. "What was that?", I heard myself say, and received the reply, "A Scallop." Unbelievable. Fabulous.

Since that time, ordering all kinds of scallops (cooked or raw) in all kinds of establishments, I have never found one that duplicates--or even approaches--that wonderful experience. I would heartily recommend that if you ever have the opportunity to eat a raw--and VERY fresh--scallop, you do so. I still, some 25 years later, remember that moment as if it were this morning. Pure oral beauty.

Having said that, my favorite "quickie" seviche recipe is really simple; I usually use sea scallops, but it works equally well with bay scallops. Red pepper flakes to taste, Rose's lime juice to cover, let it set in the 'fridge for a few hours and chow down!
blue heaven
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 491
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/03/05 16:10:35 (permalink)
I love scallops. I like to sear mine in a saute pan with a bit of butter and a little olive oil w/minced shallots, lemon and capers deglaze the pan with a little vermouth or white wine. Simple but delicious. It only takes a couple of minutes....real quick meal.[
V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/03/08 14:27:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ready4Fun

she decided I was ready for sashimi (the fish alone, without the sushi rice). I placed this large white round raw object on my tongue, and my mouth was immediately filled with sweet warmness that didn't even require any mastication--it all but DISSOLVED in my mouth. "What was that?", I heard myself say, and received the reply, "A Scallop." Unbelievable. Fabulous.

for a few hours and chow down!

Also known as a TBO...taste bud orgasm.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15178
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/03/10 16:32:43 (permalink)
I can't think of ANY recipe that uses Scallops as a main ingredient that I don't like. Broiled, Battered and deep fried, 'Kebobs on a grill", raw in a seafood salad, Scampi, and I think my favorite was the "Imperial". Served In a butter cream sauce, sometimes with shrimp and or crab mixed in with the scallops... a very very rich dish, so far I have only found it on menus in the Tidewater Virginia area. Not even sure if I have the name correct. It is absolutely the best seafood 'in sauce' dish I have ever enjoyed.
dickestep
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 533
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/07 04:00:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I like mine about as basic as it comes. Scallops tossed in flour, salt and pepper(corn or rice flour is even better) Saute' in some lemon juice, garlic, butter and a couple dashes of Grand Marnier. Serve with the saute' sauce over rice. Mmmmmmm

You got it. Anything too involved masks the subtle flavors.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/07 07:11:14 (permalink)
The best I'd ever had were at J's Oyster in Portland, Maine ... just plain raw !!!

Second best: blackened at Eastside Grille in Northampton, Massachusetts.

Oh and just as good: Stuart's Fresh Catch in Richmond ... breaded. A+

I never make them at home b/o I don't think I can get good enough supply.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3140
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/07 08:27:44 (permalink)
I like to press diver scallops top and bottom in a little brown sugar and pepper combination and pan fry each side until it develops a brown crust (doesn't take too long either). Accompanied with some rice or a risotto, a Gorgonzola and pear salad and some crusty sourdough, I'm set for my last meal.
Bury me Lord, I'm already in heaven.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/07 20:52:51 (permalink)

OK, If you are one of those who are opposed to the step-by-step recipe with photos, you may want to scroll on down thru this one.

On a Costco trip this morning We picked up some Lamb Ribs, a carrot cake, and some other treats and special stuff for the Easter dinner that will happen tomorrow. While at Costco we happened across some fresh Scallops for $8.00 a pound. Well, we had to have two pounds to try a coconut batter mix that we have had for awhile. The results were pretty good. We limited the menu to some fresh Asparagus and the Coconut battered Scallops.

Here is step 1.. The Batter mix, One bottle of Beer, and two eggs mixed in formed the batter. Scallops rinsed and drained were then ready to go.

Step 2- Blanche/ Semi-Cook (al dente) the Asparagus to prep it for the oven treatment- cover with Parmesean cheese, then oven-bake it until the cheese browns a bit.

Step 3- Put the scallops that have been covered in the batter into a hot frying pan with about half to three-quarters of an inch of hot oil. Fry until golden brown.

Here is dinner for TWO- in fact we found that there were more scallops than we could eat at one meal. Due to the large size our usual 5 or 6 for a serving could well have been 3 or 4 !

Here is the finished product. I love both the Scallops and the Asparagus, so this dinner made me a very happy camper !! We will save some of the leftover scallops to add to some chowder shortly!

All in all a pretty good Costco Day.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6352
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/07 20:58:50 (permalink)
Al - You are killing me! Dinner looks great

I am glad the leftover scallops are going to good use, I was thinking the scotties were going to have scallops too.

I gotta try Costco, and what a bonus JJ's is only 12 miles from Costco.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/07 21:08:51 (permalink)
CK
Yeah, before we got a Costco here in Louisville (last fall) we would load up the coolers and do a JJ and Costco run about once a month. We didn't save a dime...with it being a roundt-trip of about 225 miles, the gas cost were pretty high. We haven't been to Jungle Jims since we started using the local Costco!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/08 07:54:37 (permalink)
Looks great Al. Just looking at the pictures my GOUT is screaming and my mouth is watering. Chow Jim
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/08 10:54:00 (permalink)

The batter mix needed some additional flavoring...It was a bit "plain". Next time we will either use some Orange marmalade or other slightly sweet/sour citrus to add a bit of 'Tang' to the batter. It was good, but lacked that final touch.
I watched Bobby Fray do some Scallops on the grill this morning. If it wasn't 25 degrees out when I watched that i would have been tempted to do the same. My days of grilling in the snow are happily behind me somewhere!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/08 11:02:24 (permalink)
Fine,fine looking meal!!!!!!Drooling here!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3987
RE: What is your favorite "Scallop" recipe ? 2007/04/08 13:40:17 (permalink)
Major Al.

If I provide the scallops, as-per-a-grass plus the beer, butter and parmesean and the outdoor grille you can come make dinner anytime------winter included-----I "ain't" seen no snow since I got to
St Pete and I ain't lookin' forward to seein' any. Stay warm brother, it's springtime you know !!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1