Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What is your favorite breakfast item?

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 98
Jim in NC

• Total Posts: 186
Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sun, 03/20/11 11:43 AM (permalink)
Livermush

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
    Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Mon, 03/21/11 9:30 AM (permalink)
    I love all the breakfast foods mentioned already and have to say that the items listed by FiletMignon look like I'll have to try my hand at making them.  My faves though are bacon, followed by goetta (I'm from Cincinnati), followed by corned beef hash.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
      Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 12:26 AM (permalink)
      Fruit salad. Make it fresh & leave out the cantaloupe because it makes the ENTIRE SALAD taste like cantaloupe.

I agree with having items ppl can't get anywhere else. Also want to say I didn't like eggs until my grama made them WITHOUT MILK once when I was about 9. Other grammy & mom both added milk. Yuck.

LOVE some crispy corned beef hash. I agree about the fresh ingredients.

Penn German Chef

• Total Posts: 22
        Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 1:16 AM (permalink)
        Since your in SW Utah I think that one of my favorites would work, Huevos Ranchos with NM style Green & Red Chile Home made corn yellow tortillas with a side of  NM style Carne Adovada. Then on a Flip side of taste. A plate of fried Scrapple with Homemade country Sausage , Eggs any style, and Fresh home fried potatoes. Possible sides Creamed Chipped Beef(Dried Beef Slices) on Toast,  FreshFried Green Tomatoes. Then from the other side of the Pond. A true Irish Brekki, Irish style Bacon, Black and White Pudding, Bangers, Fried Potatoes, Saute'd Mushrooms &Tomatoes, finally Homemade Soda Bread w homemade fruit Jams. Crossing the channel a German style Cold cut and Cheese plate, German style breakfast rolls. Then Homemade Muesli with Fresh plain yogurt . I know its lot more than asked for yet its the type of Breakfast food I miss on American diner menus,

Penn German Chef

Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 1:46 AM (permalink)
          Forgot to add well brewed coffee from a great local roasted bean source prepared by someone who knows what they're doing. Perhaps a proper pot of tea made with loose leaves (not bags) again made by a worker trained properly to do it right.  
          Finally Freshly made fruit juices. Many times well made Fresh Beverages can enhance the reputation of even the most basic establishment. Yet food and drink is only as good as the staff who prepare it.
          Therefore as a owner and manger you must hire and train your staff with the utmost care improving skill sets daily. Finally consistency and Serve Safe regulations must strictly followed both in train and practice. The last point is what I find is the weakest link in independent operations. This is not meant to lecture but a observation of many years if dining.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
            Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 9:05 AM (permalink)
            Penn German Chef

Forgot to add well brewed coffee from a great local roasted bean source prepared by someone who knows what they're doing. Perhaps a proper pot of tea made with loose leaves (not bags) again made by a worker trained properly to do it right.  
            Finally Freshly made fruit juices. Many times well made Fresh Beverages can enhance the reputation of even the most basic establishment. Yet food and drink is only as good as the staff who prepare it.
            Therefore as a owner and manger you must hire and train your staff with the utmost care improving skill sets daily. Finally consistency and Serve Safe regulations must strictly followed both in train and practice. The last point is what I find is the weakest link in independent operations. This is not meant to lecture but a observation of many years if dining.

Let me second the fresh quality coffee idea,,we haven't really talked about that, and it's a major part of a great breakfast. Bad coffee can sure ruin an otherwise great breakfast experience. A gourmet coffee brand can even be advertized as a selling point. If it is known you care about what you pour,it can be assumed you care about EVERYTHING you serve. Seems we're all telling you to serve variety and serve quality. There is your slogan. Breakfasts: We serve variety and quality!!! That would be something special.If I want my standard breakfast,I know it will be great. If I want to try something a little different,it's there. Variety and quality. Be known for that and they will come!!!
            <message edited by leethebard on Thu, 03/24/11 9:09 AM>

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
              Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 10:43 AM (permalink)
              In a word Migas.

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
                Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 10:44 AM (permalink)
                Oh yeah, and really good coffee.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
                  Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 11:12 AM (permalink)
                  Jim in NC

Livermush

When I saw livermush, I thought of Ort Carlton.  A quick Google tells me the old boy is still drinkin an writin down in Georgia.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                    Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 11:23 AM (permalink)
                    Sundays we go to our favorite mom & pop restaurant and I have their home made corned beef hash. The rest of the week I eat healthy!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                      Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 12:00 PM (permalink)
                      kland01s

Sundays we go to our favorite mom & pop restaurant and I have their home made corned beef hash. The rest of the week I eat healthy!

To Me, Eatin' Corned Beef Hash is Eatin' Healthy!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                        Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 12:15 PM (permalink)
                        Grits! Anyone mention grits yet? That may be unique in Utah.

I like to mark how far away I get from Minnesota before I start seeing grits on the breakfast menu.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6092
                          Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 5:59 PM (permalink)
                          Fried eggs with crispy bacon, sage sausage, corned beef hash, crispy outside, hash browns, and an English muffin, real butter, great coffee and a Sprite. Yeah, that works for me.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                            Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 6:57 PM (permalink)
                            I guess I'm a "traditionalist" when it come to my breakfast. If I don't order waffles or pancakes with REAL maple syrup and sausage links in natural casing, it's poached or fried eggs over easy on (preferably homemade) corned beef hash with either home fries or hash browns. No homemade corned beef hash? Fine. I'll have the bacon or pork sausage as long as it's in it's natural casing. IMHO, Thurmann's (brand) is the best commercial pork sausage available.
                            And, I like buttered wheat toast and really good French roast coffee without cream or sugar. Now that's not difficult is it?
                            Damn! Now I'm hungry for breakfast for dinner tonight!
                            <message edited by Twinwillow on Thu, 03/24/11 7:00 PM>

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                              Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Thu, 03/24/11 9:45 PM (permalink)
                              Hash browns. The word, is BROWN. The potatoes should be, too. No one orders hash whites.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Fri, 03/25/11 1:02 AM (permalink)
                                stricken_detective

Hash browns. The word, is BROWN. The potatoes should be, too. No one orders hash whites.

Good Point! Never thought about it that way.
                                Problem is most places use those frozen things and never cook them brown enough. In too big of a hurry to get your plate off the line.

mlooney56

• Total Posts: 61
                                  Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sat, 03/26/11 12:01 AM (permalink)
                                  This should give you a few ideas.

http://www.eggplantation.com/menus.html

NascarDad

Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Tue, 03/29/11 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                    You know what I love for breakfast but  can't find anywhere?  Green Fried Tomatoes.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1928
                                      Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Tue, 03/29/11 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                      Homemade biscuits & gravy with great coffee.  (I wouldn't scoff at creamed chipped beef, either.)  But, of course, Utah may have a different set of taste buds.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                                        Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Tue, 03/29/11 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                        There is a "cafe" here in my area that always has a bunch of people waiting outside for their turn at having breakfast.

One of their secrets is serving coffee to everyone who is waiting outside.  There is a large self-serve pot set up with the required sweeteners and milk.

It becomes a social scene with everyone standing outside or sitting on the waiting benches while sipping coffee.

The menu is simple.... eggs and eggs but one of their signature dishes is called a garbage omelet.  It has everything in it but what stands out to me is the fresh spinach leaves.  It also swims in a lite Spanish sauce.

Their other have to have items are some sort of a stuffed French toast.  Cream cheese mixed with a small amount of some sort of jam and fresh strawberries or other jam-matching fruit.  Battered and fried and oh so unhealthy, but good...  and a big bowl of hot oatmeal served with a tiny container of real cream, brown sugar and choice of sliced bananas, strawberries or... gasp... raisins.  The real cream does it for me.

Small amounts of fresh fruit are on every plate served and they do everything with a smile.

Oh, they also have some sort of special item on their weekend menu.

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                                          Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Wed, 03/30/11 2:42 AM (permalink)
                                          In China where I live, it's Baozi, which is a steamed bun with a pork meatball inside. Some are better than others. My favorite one was outside my wife's apartment in this not so clean hole in the wall that were wonderful, and I would wake up early (before 9:30) to get two of those and an iced tea drink.
                                          http://www.thatsqingdao.com/images/qingdao/baozi.jpg
                                          http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=baozi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1327&bih=718

American breakfast (besides bacon) hash browns. They had some hash browns for sale in the stores in China, but they don't have it anymore. I wish McDonalds sold them all day.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                                            Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Wed, 03/30/11 5:02 AM (permalink)
                                            They sorta look like an onion!!

Penn German Chef

Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Wed, 03/30/11 5:28 AM (permalink)
                                              Cities in the states that have Dim Sum or Yum Cha establishments you can usually find steamed pork buns served. In San Francisco there are many places. On a very up scale note I like Yank Sang. For the total Chinese experience there is Gold Mountain or Golden River. Yes agree a good Steamed Pork Bun among with your other varied selection and a hot pot of tea is a great way to start the day.

GCD1962

• Total Posts: 66
                                                Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Wed, 03/30/11 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                                Scrapple and properly cooked eggs

kitchensqueen

• Total Posts: 4
                                                  Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sat, 04/30/11 8:12 PM (permalink)
                                                  The best breakfast platter I've ever had is at our local brunch spot Broadway Cellars. They call it the "Ned Beatty" and it's chipotle barbecue pulled pork and a poached egg over jalepeno corn bread with adobo hollandaise and a side of skin-on potatoes fried in fat. With a bottomless Bloody Mary, it's a breakfast/brunch dish sent straight from heaven.

Classics done impeccably well can't be beat either - perfectly cooked eggs (I favor poached and omelletes), sausage patties or links, Texas toast, crispy breakfast potatoes and crumb coffee cake are all go-tos whether I'm eating out or making breakfast at home.

nobullbob1

• Total Posts: 7
                                                    Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sun, 05/1/11 8:47 AM (permalink)
                                                    Runny eggs and grits!

Birdhunter

• Total Posts: 94
                                                      Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sun, 05/1/11 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                                      Here's just a crazy idea.
                                                      There is a lot of good cooks on this website that aren't chefs.
                                                      Put your mailing address here, if allowed. Or do a PM to who ever wants to mail a recipe to you.
                                                      Test it on your friends or clients.
                                                      But a most when preparing a dish the first time, keep a good record of your cost per recipe. Which I'm sure you do. I do this alot for just the items I make at home.
                                                      I was a business person but not in the food part.
                                                      Retirered now,
                                                      Good Luck

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                                        • Location: New Orleans, LA
                                                        Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sun, 05/1/11 10:53 AM (permalink)
                                                        pancakes or waffles - either buckwheat or sourdough
                                                         I don't know if there's any interest in grits in UT, but I really like be given a choice between grits or hash browns, and the grits need salt, and shouldn't be runny.
                                                         It's silly, but I like those little packets of grape jelly with a biscuit or buttered wheat toast.
                                                        real ham -not processed deli slices, or ham loaf

Not to offend, but one of the things I can't stand about some breakfast places is greasy salt and pepper shakers, and sticky syrup dispensers. 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7590
                                                          • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                          Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sun, 05/1/11 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                                          I'm wanting corn meal pancakes.

Guess matzo meal will have to do.... if I have any.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17796
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:What is your favorite breakfast item? Sun, 05/1/11 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                                            Pancakes are not a favored breakfast item at the Waffle House. I just saw a T-shirt there that said:

Friends Don't Let Friends
                                                                                   Eat Pancakes

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 98

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com