What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ?

Author
muttonchops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2011/12/09 12:32:46 (permalink)

What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ?

As a child I remember hunting for that 'perfect' Christmas tree. We would go to several tree lots where the smell of the freshly cut evergreens made me feel like I was in a forest.   Dad would pick out a tree and hold it upright, mom would step back and look at the tree from all sides.  Finally the decision was made and 'our' tree was tied on top of the car for its trip home. 

Mom would always make popcorn and cookies as a special treat while we decorated our tree with colored lights, tensel, and various ornaments.  It was a special moment when its lights were finally turned on and  their wonderous glow lit up the room with the expectations of all the good things that were to come during the next few days.

14 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10272
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/09 12:59:46 (permalink)
    My favorite is Christmas Eve. Our tradition is to gather the family. I prepare an assortment of mostly Seafood Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres including several Shrimp dishes, Oysters, Crab Cakes, and other finger foods. After munching, we open presents since all the "Kids" are adults now. 
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/09 15:17:28 (permalink)
     As a kid----Right before Christmas my Dad would load us boys into the car and we would go off in the afternoon to deliver gifts  while my mom stayed home--to wrap OUR gifts i later learned--we would be listening to carols on the radio, and would go to a LOT of relatives--God children--God Parents-Grand parents--at EVERY stop there were cookies and drinks--cider and eggnog--and gifts to pick up and take home to the tree. We would get home after dark,stuffed and happy and exhausted. Give anything to take a ride with my Dad today!

as an adult---now that my kids are grown mu Christmas "high" comes from weeks of being "Santa"--it is the most fun,rewarding and joyful way to get the Christmas Spirit! When you walk into a room full of 4 to 5 yr old's who are convinced that you really ARE Santa--or when I take the time after a nursing home Christmas Party  to visit the room of those that cant get out to the gathering and are bed ridden and you see the delight in the eyes of 92 yr old women who HAS to hug you---well that's not bad either :)

but this year there is a bonus--i get to pick up my daughter when she flys in from Brooklyn on Christmas day!!!

post edited by tiki - 2011/12/09 15:20:31
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/09 17:34:49 (permalink)
    We would go to 8:00 AM Mass, 1 hour of Mass seemed like 2 weeks. After Mass pilling into the car, anticipating my Father opening the family room door which hid the presents, was nirvana...my Father would drive us crazy with different delays, as we scratched the paint off the door, waiting for the moment of deliverance to Christmas present Heaven.
    And then it was over...NO MORE PRESENTS TO OPEN?????
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8370
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/09 21:24:36 (permalink)
    Christmas eve is my favorite. Goes back to my childhood. Mom would set a beautiful table, us kids got a half a glass of wine, and were allowed to open one present.After I got married, it worked out so well that we always spent the eve with my Mom and Dad. Christmas carols on Dads stereo-yes, he never got into cd's, fire in the fireplace, beautifully set table with great food, and the opening of gifts.I miss my parents, and their home.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4532
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 04:26:55 (permalink)
    This experience was very cool.  

post edited by joerogo - 2011/12/12 08:28:23
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15281
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 09:58:30 (permalink)
    My memories of Christmas's past are mixed, some really great ones and some rather 'Blue'. As a result I would not put Christmas at the top of my 'Favorite Holiday list'.

For the past ten years I would label 'Derby-Time' as my favorite celebration. if you have never experienced the live Derby celebration in Louisville, You need to try it sometime. From the opening day Air-Show and Thunder Over Louisville Fireworks show to the volunteers cleaning up the trash at Churchill Downs the day after the race It is a series of community-bonding events that is really a great way for families to share time.
      We love the Derby Celebration and the feelings of togetherness we glean from all the time together.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13503
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 13:56:03 (permalink)
    I enjoy any holday festival but Christmas is sorta sad for me.  I use to spend it alone but now on occasion, Iwanago stops by and we go to one of the restaurants, Usually Calhouns's which are open that day.

Actually being retired, every day is sorta a holiday and besides the activities that surround the period, they sorta go by.

Perhaps Thanksgiving is more special to me.  Always a reason to give thanks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7912
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 14:10:35 (permalink)
    Going out with my family to have Chinese food at Kowloon's when I was a kid.  I just loved the pressed duck.

Really!
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 17:09:21 (permalink)
    I love Christmas but truth be told, it rags so many people out, drcorating, going all over to get the "right" gift, disappointment, laughable gifts, much work, then it's over. I'll take Thanksgiving over it. Big family get together, all day/night affair, great chow, inexpensive in comparison, still very meaningful!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6840
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 17:38:47 (permalink)
    I like Christmas.  As a kid it was at my grandparents' house with all the aunts and uncles and cousins.  We would spend Christmas Eve at home, go to the midnight candlelight service......all the good music, the lights, the candles, it was magnificent.  Then Christmas Day, off to grandma's house.  It took 1/2 hour to do all the hugging and kissing.  Then there were more presents and tons of food, food, food.  Beautiful. 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6374
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/10 18:22:58 (permalink)
    My favorite holiday experiences are many but one stands out - Thanksgiving 2002. To get our far flung family (three children and SOs) together we all decided to gather in Washington, DC. Eight of us in all. My son-in-law, being in the hospitality and convention business, had enough connections to get up very inexpensive hotel rooms and reservations at the Sequoia DC restaurant overlooking the Potomac River for Thanksgiving dinner. This was the first time ever for me to have Thanksgiving dinner in other than a family home. The Sequoia has a dining room with solid glass two stories high coming to an acute angle point in the corner. We got that big round table in that corner. What was special about that dinner? That's when my wife and I learned we would be grandparents for the first time.
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/11 03:34:25 (permalink)
    I have several Christmas memories, disasters and good ones both.

The first one was Christmas Eve 1973, I was eight years old and we had moved from Apex, NC where we were the only Catholics in the area and we went to a small Catholic church in Cary, NC that did a simple Midnight Mass to Overland Park, KS where that church seated 600 comfortably and did a more elaborate service. We were seated on the aisle and at the start of the service the junior priest came by swinging the incense burner, something we had never seen. My little brother was four and he got one whiff of the incense and threw up all over my nine year old sister. My sister and brother were crying and we left the service to go home. I thought it was funny and couldn't stop laughing.

Christmas morning 1977 was epic in our neighborhood, my Mom had used her Avon money to buy the Atari game console the first year it was out. We were suddenly the most cool kids in the neighborhood and at school. We couldn't figure out why Mom and Dad were so tired Christmas day until they said that they had never gone to bed because they were playing it themselves.

Christmas day 1978 we spent the evening at the hospital emergency room getting the end of my Dads thumb sewn back on because of a turkey carving accident.

The next year my Dad started baking Cinnamon Rolls on Christmas morning. To this day, we have freshly baked Cinnamon Rolls and Champagne at my parents on Christmas morning.

CNW
    BelleReve
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1164
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/11 15:37:55 (permalink)
    Decorating the tree.  Years ago we had those colored bulbs, (c6?) some that blinked, and bubble lights.  My mother would painstakingly apply each icicle strand by strand, and my brother and I would pick up a clump and toss them, really just to annoy my mother - then there was this felt elf that if I remember, came on a box of Whitman's chocolates, which every year we used to nestle on the top of the branches.  It had a little bell on it's cap which would set the dog off into a barking frenzy.

Fast forward 20 or so years later, I tried to duplicate the same thing, down to the icicles, which ended with a 4 AM  trip to the emergency pet clinic when the cat ate the icicles off the tree... but that's another Christmas memory.

Phottoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:What is your favorite holiday experience of the past or present ? 2011/12/12 08:10:00 (permalink)
    I came from a very economicly(sp) strapped family, we were broke all the time, we couldn't afford much, but Christmas WAS special.  Dad would go out after we kids were all in bed and "find" a Christmas tree, then Mom and Dad would decorate the tree.  As we thought at that time, it was Santa the 'brought the tree.'  Actually, as I found out much later in life, Dad would find a lot that was closed, then talk someone out of a tree.  Some were pretty bad, but some were very pretty.  And the gifts they somehow managed to get us kids were terrific, some purchased used, some refurbished, and some (not many) new.

We were allowed to open ONE present before Mass.  Then after Mass we would go to each of the Grandparents homes, exchange gifts, food, and hugs, then off to the 'other' Grandparents, and FINALLY home, usually about 3:00 or 4:00 in the afternoon to open our own gifts.

Mom and Dad are both gone now, but I still have some pretty good memories of times past.

Photto
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1