What is your state sandwich?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2012/06/25 19:45:03 (permalink)
Ann, when I next get to Carle's in Bucyrus I'll pick up a package of the rye bratwurst buns for you -- and for us. I'll FedEx or UPS them.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10352
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2012/06/26 04:27:16 (permalink)
kevincad
Michael Hoffman
kevincad
Michael Hoffman
I happen to be a big fan of baked beans on/and brown bread. Trouble is, now I have to order the canned B&M brown bread -- or bake it myself. It was one of my favorite meals as a kid, possibly because it was one of the very few things my mother was unable to ruin.

That's funny, off topic, my aunt was the best cook I ever knew, but, she fried liver to the point of incineration! I grew up hating liver, until I had calf's liver that was cooked correctly and it was a marvelous thing!

I was the same way about pork chops. My mother, who incinerated everything from eggs to burgers, cooked pork chops even longer. Because of her pork chops I was 30 before I found out that pork chops were white, tender and juicy.

Yes indeed! Back then they thought pork had to be charred beyond edible to kill bacteria!

Cooking meat to Death was the norm "Back When" for fear of the family getting some killer Bacteria, especially from Pork, Eggs & Chicken. It wasn't until foods were treated to eliminate disease related killers that meats were cooked less well done. 
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5207
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2012/06/26 09:27:48 (permalink)
ann peeples
Will check Quik Trip, and local stores for Village Hearth.

Ann, Village Hearth and Country Hearth products are all over the place so you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.  One of the bakeries is located on the eastern edge of Sun Prairie.

I don't see the sesame wheat buns as much as I do the white brat buns.

Brad
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2012/10/07 02:29:17 (permalink)
Like Unsolved Mysteries...Update...

NJ is still not done. However...all the other potential hot dog States have punched their dance card ( the somewhat serious potential contenders).

I hope it's Pork Roll. If not a hot dog (since Wisconsin is a Brat) and not a Sloppy Joe. That does not represent NJ like Pork Roll...and of course a hot dog. No.
We want Pork Roll! We want Pork Roll!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2012/10/07 02:39:53 (permalink)
Because honest to God in this particular part of NJ (and this is Northern NJ) if you surveyed 100 people about a Sloppy Joe...most would say a Manwich...and a Manwich is a meal. Many are oblivious...but all know Pork Roll.
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2012/10/11 19:09:29 (permalink)
I think Pennsylvania wins this (even though it's not a contest).

Hoagie
Cheesesteak
Roast pork
Primanti sammich
Fish sammich

To pick one, I humbly disagree on the cheesesteak. It has to be the hoagie. If there was no hoagie, there'd be no cheesesteak, sub, grinder, etc.
jorenmathew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 07:40:16 (permalink)
I fully agree to eat the capsicum grilled cheese sandwich, that you can found easily anywhere. It's very cheap and cost is $2. I think, you liked it this sandwiches.
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1141
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 09:50:18 (permalink)
McRib
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 12:05:37 (permalink)
Wooohooo!!!

We got Pork Roll! We got Pork Roll!

http://www.statelysandwiches.com/#/new-jersey/
Route 11
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 755
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 12:52:44 (permalink)
I noticed the word "melty" used in the blog.
OxDawg
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 13:12:26 (permalink)
 For the 2 states I have lived in.
Louisiana Po Boy
Georgia  Chick Fil a
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 18:47:33 (permalink)
I thought pimento cheese belonged to one of the Carolinas.

The Masters seemed to hit it in the bunker this year.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/06 20:16:58 (permalink)
GA:  Chitlins' w/ chunky peanut butter & Vidalia onions.
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/05/07 10:15:16 (permalink)
Although focused in North NJ, the hyper localized Sloppy Joe would be my choice.  The best are three slices of thin sliced rye (sliced to order) with ham/coleslaw/store made Russian, middle slice of rye, Swiss/coleslaw/store made Russian, topped with the last slice of rye.  Cut into thirds.  Traditionally the two bottom slices of rye are buttered (to keep the bread from getting soggy).  Party style versions are done with long slices of the loaf in the shape of a rectangle, then cut into smaller squares or rectangles.  Town Hall Deli in South Orange invented it, the Millburn Deli in Millburn perfected it.
jorenmathew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/04 07:38:25 (permalink)
I didn't get you . What are you looking for ?
Please share more details to understand this.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 436
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/04 17:44:29 (permalink)
johnlockedema

Although focused in North NJ, the hyper localized Sloppy Joe would be my choice.  The best are three slices of thin sliced rye (sliced to order) with ham/coleslaw/store made Russian, middle slice of rye, Swiss/coleslaw/store made Russian, topped with the last slice of rye.  Cut into thirds.  Traditionally the two bottom slices of rye are buttered (to keep the bread from getting soggy).  Party style versions are done with long slices of the loaf in the shape of a rectangle, then cut into smaller squares or rectangles.  Town Hall Deli in South Orange invented it, the Millburn Deli in Millburn perfected it.

Ah - The memories.   When I worked in Milburn during the 70's, I'd have either a roast beef or ham sloppy joe most every week from the Millburn Deli.   Perfection in a sandwich, although I think the roast beef had a slight edge over the ham.  Next in line was the steak sandwich on a hard roll at Stanley's (long gone).  Three sandwiches that have never been surpassed for me. 
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/05 19:41:46 (permalink)
TN - Pimento Cheese (toasted or non)
IN - Breaded Pork Tenderloin
OH - Fried Baloney (Waldo) (unless Hot Dogs are considered sandwich)
WI - Grilled Cheese or Fried Fish
IL - Horsehoe & Italian Beef (unless Hot Dogs are considered sandwich)
PA - Philly Cheesesteak (East) & Any Primanti's (West)
NE - Hamburger (fresh from the farm)
IA - Breaded Pork Tenderloin or Maid Rite
FL - Cuban (South) & Grouper (panhandle)
KY - Hot Brown
NC - Chopped Whole Hog with vinegar sauce
MD - Soft Shell Crab
LA - Poboy - Parrain Special
NJ - Pork Roll (got to be Taylor's)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head
post edited by CajunKing - 2013/06/07 16:45:32
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/05 20:46:18 (permalink)
Although the PoBoy is commonly thought of as the sandwich of LA.
many of the gulf coast states have 'PoBoys'

I did think of 1 sandwich in which NO OTHER state can claim it as it's own except LA.

It is The Parrain Special - From Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette, LA.

It is a grilled cheese, with a Boudin Ball smashed in it and some Johnson's BBQ sauce.

Without looking it up can anyone define "Parrain"

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6410
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/05 20:49:55 (permalink)
Despite Wanderingjew's hangup about Lefse and Lutefisk in Minnesota which has nothing to do with sandwiches whatsoever, the fish sandwich is an interesting one. If one had to pick a sandwich for Minnesota it would be the walleye sandwich though most all restaurant served walleye comes from across the Minnesota border in Canada. But walleye it is simply because most self-respecting restaurants will serve a walleye sandwich if a fish sandwich is part of the menu. Cross the border into Wisconsin and you'll encounter a perch sandwich more times than a walleye. Cross the border into Iowa and it is back to the standard cod, catfish or other generic fish sandwich. It changes that fast.

Minnesota has another hangup, mostly in the Twin Cities, and that is a Juicy Lucy or stuffed hamburger in other parts of the country -- two patties sealed together with cheese inside. Not too long ago I think just a few bar/grill type places served them. Then when the food shows on cable TV started featuring them they spread to other restaurants. That craze might be receding. I know of two restaurants that dropped them from the menu.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/05 21:01:58 (permalink)
lleechef

davydd
Do put Humpy's on your list while you're in Anchorage.  They have been on DDD and the food is excellent!!!

BTW, speaking of fish sandwiches, I did get to Humpy's in Anchorage last August and had the Halibut sandwich. It is rare for me but I forgot to take a photo!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/05 21:09:52 (permalink)
Davydd

Despite Wanderingjew's hangup about Lefse and Lutefisk in Minnesota which has nothing to do with sandwiches whatsoever, the fish sandwich is an interesting one. If one had to pick a sandwich for Minnesota it would be the walleye sandwich though most all restaurant served walleye comes from across the Minnesota border in Canada. But walleye it is simply because most self-respecting restaurants will serve a walleye sandwich if a fish sandwich is part of the menu. Cross the border into Wisconsin and you'll encounter a perch sandwich more times than a walleye. Cross the border into Iowa and it is back to the standard cod, catfish or other generic fish sandwich. It changes that fast.

Minnesota has another hangup, mostly in the Twin Cities, and that is a Juicy Lucy or stuffed hamburger in other parts of the country -- two patties sealed together with cheese inside. Not too long ago I think just a few bar/grill type places served them. Then when the food shows on cable TV started featuring them they spread to other restaurants. That craze might be receding. I know of two restaurants that dropped them from the menu.

No Hang up  here...... A Lutefisk sandwich  is just as real as the "imaginary hotdish"   
Besides I first learned of Lutefisk and Lefse from The Sterns in one of the prewebsite Roadfood books.

A Juicy Lucy is certainly not unique to Minnesota. I've seen it growing up on Long Island as a stuffed cheeseburter. Just the term "Juicy Lucy" was invented in the twin Cities.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4116
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 17:34:28 (permalink)
Powerhouse? I really wonder why some people bother to make these lists of the US when it's pretty obvious they have no idea what real people eat. In my entire life, I have never seen a "Powerhouse" on a menu.
I would say French dip, because even though it was invented on LA, you can find it on the menus of places all over the state. My other suggestion-----the Chili size, an open faced chili burger invented in .LA. Again, something I see on menus all across the state. 
I'd even throw in as a ringer the Torta, a sandwich that is similar to a burrito on a French roll, with meat, refried beans, guacamole,shredded lettuce, onion and sour cream. Again, it can be found all over the state, and it helps define what California is. 
A Powerhouse? What kind of moron assumes that all Californians eat is some kind of vegetarian sandwich. This guy has obviously never set a foot here.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 17:56:57 (permalink)
She's an artist. Her subject just happens to be sandwiches for this project.

I think she did a great job with California. It's a pretty board.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4116
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 18:15:42 (permalink)
CCinNJ

She's an artist. Her subject just happens to be sandwiches for this project.

I think she did a great job with California. It's a pretty board.

Fine, call it pretty. But don't claim it's the state sandwich!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 18:35:52 (permalink)
For Illinois, it's Horseshoe mid state to the south and Italian Beef mostly around Chicago. You won't find much overlap.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 19:13:52 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Davydd

No Hang up  here...... A Lutefisk sandwich  is just as real as the "imaginary hotdish"   
Besides I first learned of Lutefisk and Lefse from The Sterns in one of the prewebsite Roadfood books.

A Juicy Lucy is certainly not unique to Minnesota. I've seen it growing up on Long Island as a stuffed cheeseburter. Just the term "Juicy Lucy" was invented in the twin Cities.

Just for you wj. You need this more than I. Lena's Lutefisk Sandwich...Sorta 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 19:17:30 (permalink)
Good art is often controversial! Saveur calls Powerhouse a "California"...

http://m.saveur.com/artic...es/California-Sandwich

"A version of a California classic, this sandwich is a healthy mix of vegetables, whole-grain bread, and Jack ... Recipes ... It was called the "Powerhouse" in vegetarian cafes everywhere."

I had this "Californian" in 1986...

http://www.johnsgardenmal...johns-garden-menu.html
post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/06/06 19:32:15
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 21:00:55 (permalink)
CajunKing
OH - Fried Baloney (Waldo)

Cheese coney, dude.......
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18857
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 21:08:00 (permalink)
TJ Jackson

CajunKing
OH - Fried Baloney (Waldo)

Cheese coney, dude.......

Not hardly!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4608
Re:What is your state sandwich? 2013/06/06 21:16:08 (permalink)
Yes way, dude
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1