What makes a juicy Hamburger?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/09/23 20:48:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Goose

Mr. Sundancer:
it seems to me that you grilling on too high a heat. Try the Alton Brown method. Start out with medium low heat (I'm guessing you use gas, you seem like a gas kind of guy). Cook for about 3-4 minutes a side, (yes I know I'm breaking the flip once rule) then take the burgers off (or move to a cooler spot, and crank the heat as high as it will go. Let the grate get smoking hot. Then give the burgers a quick sear (30 seconds max) and enjoy.

You could also try the old james beard trick. Mix in a tablespoon of cream for every burger you are making. add the pat of butter in the middle. You want rich and juicy? You can'r handle rich and juicy.

Sorry.

Oh boy... Talk about a cooked goose... I'm sitting back and watching this one!
michaelgemmell
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 673
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/09/23 20:54:10 (permalink)
Thanks, lleechef, of course I meant pastry, and thanks for verifying Zman's recipe. Any reason not to reduce the quantity?

Isn't this just the nature of food? We just get used to one rule, "handle the ground meat as little as possible" when we learn of an exception.
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/09/23 21:26:00 (permalink)
I do them similar to the way Lone Star Described, as well as adding a few globs of butter.......but I also do a hole in the middle....and how do I achieve this buttery doughnut burger feat?........Softly pat out two thinner patties, indent both through the middle to make a small hole, take myfinger and make a slight indented ring midway between the edges and the hole and pour a little melted butter in the newly created Burger moattop one patty with the other..seal the edges, and voila.....juicy and very tender burger, not over cooked to get the middle done, because of the addition of the ventilation hole. I often when steaming the buns, either on the grill or in a cast iron pan, spray some spray butter on the inside of the bun. Sometimes, if I'm cooking indoors I also mix about 1/8 cup of water with a few drops of hickory smoke, to further enhance. Then sometimes......I just throw them on the George Foreman and fagget aboud dit
Goose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/09/24 08:15:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:
Originally posted by Goose

Mr. Sundancer:
it seems to me that you grilling on too high a heat. Try the Alton Brown method. Start out with medium low heat (I'm guessing you use gas, you seem like a gas kind of guy). Cook for about 3-4 minutes a side, (yes I know I'm breaking the flip once rule) then take the burgers off (or move to a cooler spot, and crank the heat as high as it will go. Let the grate get smoking hot. Then give the burgers a quick sear (30 seconds max) and enjoy.

You could also try the old james beard trick. Mix in a tablespoon of cream for every burger you are making. add the pat of butter in the middle. You want rich and juicy? You can'r handle rich and juicy.

Sorry.

Oh boy... Talk about a cooked goose... I'm sitting back and watching this one!

Did I do something wrong?
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/11/06 10:01:25 (permalink)
Just wanted to say thank you to Lone Star!! We used your method last night and had the best cheeseburgers we ever made!! This will get us through the non-grilling months of winter when we crave burgers!!! Yay!!! Actually, I think we'll even do them in the summer....they were better than grilled. Thanks! Sue
ukcats1993
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/11/08 12:21:11 (permalink)
I use lean ground chuck. Take a mixing bowl insert the meat use Lea & Peran worshershire sauce ( plenty of it ) Lemon pepper salt. Mix well. Let stand in Frig over night & make patties without packing them tight, the next day just before putting on a hot grill. They turn out fantastic. Also I melt butter & spread it on the inside of the bun & grill them to a toastie brown.. Makes a killer burger..
hhawk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 45
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/11/09 10:21:06 (permalink)
As discussed, 20% fat helps. But there is more to it. A bigger burger that is cooked well done is going to be dry. In truth, your best eating rare ground meat when you do the grindng yourself!

My answer is smaller burgers with good fat content cooked through. They cook quick enough that they retain their "juicy" flavor.

I sear one side for about 1 minute, and I flip it. If the burger to thick I smash it down at this point, BUT NEVER AGAIN during the cooking. At this point I treat like a pan cake, which is to say I let it stay on that one side until the entire burger is almost done. Then, and only then, flip it back on to the first side to finish. At this point I add cheese (if needed).

That's it.. 1 smash, 3 flips and onto the BUN. I cook at 425 to 450.
shoosh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/12/12 06:32:24 (permalink)
Dear Members
I'm new here , and need your help please.
I have a small burger place, I have a small problem, I make the pâté and freeze it; at the time of cooking it shrinks and loses more than 20% of it size. I used soy protein, bread crump. I reduced the amount of fat to 12% and nothing is working.
does any one have the solution for me? is ther a universal burger recipe I can use?

appercaite your help

shoosh
russrimm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2004/12/30 23:00:53 (permalink)
LoneStar - How thick do you make the patties, and how long do you sear them on each side, roughly?
cyclops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/10/28 20:50:17 (permalink)
basics for a juicy burger

1. 75-25% 80-20%. Thats it. Any leaner, and the rarest will still be dry. Fat is juice and fat is flavor. End of discussion

2. handle as little as possible. Quickly make a ball, flatten it out, and cook. Handle it a lot and you got a round flat meatloaf.

3. Griddle a burger, not chargrill. A burger is a different animal griddle cooked. You might convince me that a wood or charcoal fired burger is up there, but a gas charbroiler is inferior. Too crusty and not as juicy.

4. Never, ever, ever, squish a burger while it is cooking. If you griddle a 25% fat burger until well done, it will still be juicy. No blood, just juice.

5. High heat. Sears the outside and makes it juicy.

6. Fry a burger and cover it with a cover to fry-steam it. I am not a steam burger fan, but it is very, very juicy.
tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1961
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/10/29 08:56:01 (permalink)
I recently bought a box of Bubbaburgers. I had heard about them and they have been mentioned on this site. So far, I have cooked 3 out of the 6. I have tried to follow the directions, but so far I don't have it really right. They ARE juicy, due to a special process that I expect includes a lot of fat and moisture. The directions say that they must be cooked frozen, or they will fall apart. They say cook 1 side untill juice rises to the top. Do not press on burger. Flip and cook to desired doneness. Do not press and flip only once is probably the key. It is fun and healthy to press the fat out of a cooking burger, but I expect that it reduces juicyness.

Bubba doesn't say to do it, but I have used the cyclops #6 idea (above) in the past with other burgers. It works well with the 95% lean fresh burger that I usually use.

UPDATE 31 Oct.
I finally got one cooked right. IMO BaBas are more greasy than juicy. With 34 g of fat, they get a real fire going when you cook them on the grill! They are popular, but I will not be buying more. I am going back to my 95% lean fresh burger. It has better taste, and is far better for me.
cyclops
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/10/29 20:37:35 (permalink)
TMiles-

If you cook a burger on one side until the juice comes through the top of the patty, you've ruined it allready. Moisture will escape any area that heats to 170-180 degrees, well done for beef. The bubbaburger company is only concerned that the burgers are cook enough to avoid e coli. When ever you see blood or juice coming out of a steak or burger the burger is getting to the well done stage, a rare steak or burger will NEVER bleed. Don't wait till the moisture comes through to the top, flip it 2-3 minutes earlier. If you are a rare or medium rare fan, grind your own burger, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get e coli from a fresh ground properly handled beef.

Most problems with E coli are handling and temp control, not the beef itself. E coli needs prolonged warm temperatures for at least 4 hours to multiple.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18255
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/10/29 22:00:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by shoosh

Dear Members
I'm new here , and need your help please.
I have a small burger place, I have a small problem, I make the pâté and freeze it; at the time of cooking it shrinks and loses more than 20% of it size. I used soy protein, bread crump. I reduced the amount of fat to 12% and nothing is working.
does any one have the solution for me? is ther a universal burger recipe I can use?

appercaite your help

shoosh

When you say you make the pate, I assume you mean patty. That being the case, one must ask why you freeze it. Make them fresh and cook them fresh and you will not have the problem, and those who buy them will be much happier.
dholk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/10/29 23:49:30 (permalink)
Great Topic! So many right answers. I remember reading in a James Beard cookbook about using butter and I should try it at some point.

Here's my take:

Ground Sirloin. Its lean (10% fat) which goes against common burger wisdom but I think the flavor is superior. It won't work unless you are comfortable with a decent amount of pink on the inside and some char on the outside. The patty needs to be at least a half-pound and a half-inch thick.

Cavenders Greek Seasoning. This stuff is a beef god-send. I don't know anything about Greek food or necessarily even care, but this stuff is the cat's pajamas, whatever the heck that is :)

High heat. The best is charcoal with wood-chips absolutely smoking hot. A well-seasoned gas grill turned up all the way works too. A broiler or hot cast-iron skillet can get the job done as well.

My general guidelines:

1) Form a patty at least a 1/2 inch thick, at least a 1/2 pound.
2) Sprinkle both sides moderately with Cavenders Greek Seasoning.
3) Cook on a super-hot surface (as described above)until almost burnt. Flip over and cook the other side until it is almost burnt. (If the cooking surface is not hot enough, or the patty is not thick enough, you'll end up with a piece of leather, if you get it right, you are in hamburger heaven :)
4) Remove from heat and let rest for a minute or so.

Where to go from there is up to you...

I think the only other thing that really makes an outstanding burger is the bun. When I go to the trouble of making great burgers I will stop by the best local bakery for some nice, fresh crusty rolls to seal the deal.

Good luck everybody with your burgers!

Dave

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/10/30 13:12:25 (permalink)
1/3 pork sausage or italian hot sausage added to the ground beef adds fat and flavor and makes for a very juicy finished product
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/11/30 23:20:45 (permalink)
I make a good burger if I must say so myself..........I have found that the ground chuck that you buy in a roll makes the best burgers! I don't know what it is about it but it always tastes fresher. I take a 3 pound roll, cut it into six equal portions and very slightly patty them up, don't over work the meat! Drop them in a hot skillet and let fry till they are good and seared then turn and do the same on the other side. After the searing turn the heat way down and salt and pepper them. I use a lot of salt on a big burger like this. Simmer turning occasional and do not mash or cut into the burger! It will be one of the best you have had. I occasionally like some onion salt on them or even season salt but I always go back to just salt and pepper.

Butch
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13473
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/12/01 11:24:58 (permalink)
I watched Alton Brown do a interesting thing with burger last evening. I love his shows. As Bushie indicated, he is a food genius.

He took several pounds of ground medium chuck and rolled it flat on some wax paper. It was only about a 1/4 inch thickness. He seasoned the entire thing on top and then folded it in half and then seasoned it again. He removed the wax paper and cut the burger in about 5 inche squares and cooked them on a griddle. He cooked them about 2 minutes on each side.

He used some mayo on his warmed buns to keep the grease from absorbing in the buns.

I liked his technique and i will try it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2005/12/01 12:28:38 (permalink)
I've seen that episode of Good Eats, I think it was his take on sliders. Great technique, works well. I've read here or on another foodie site that the best way to get the White Castle style onions is to rehydrate dried minced onion.
Theres also a recipe for sliders in Grady Spears second cookbook (titles slipped my mind, and is at home), that includes goat cheese mixed in with the meat. I think Grady attributes the recipe to Fess Parker. Davy...Davy Crockett etc.
I generally add a good sprinkling of water to maintain juicy burgers, this works well, and is a better idea healthwise than butter. I've also found that a hefty spash of Jim Beam works well, and have never ignited on the grill.

Vayo con Queso
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1