What makes a juicy Hamburger?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
2003/07/29 20:07:00 (permalink)

What makes a juicy Hamburger?

I have been buying burgers for a whole bunch of years. Occasionally I buy a juicy burger and it is great. Most of the time they are dry and taste like cardboard.

Latest example is Hardee's. They claim they have a thick burger. I tried it and it was dark grey and appeared it had been pre cooked somewhere in Australia.

I truly wish I had the recipe for the burger that when you bit into it, would squit juice in your face and tasted like a real burger.

If you can help me with this matter, I would appreciate it as the ones I cook on my grill dry out also.

In Knoxville, I use to get burgers on the grill at Between The Buns, they were like that. I cannot get them any more

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

77 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/29 20:15:33 (permalink)
    I'll get you the exact issue tomorrow------but in Gourmet Magazine a few years ago there was an article by Ruth Reichel on cooking the perfect burger. The key, I remember, was using fresh ground chuck----not sirloin----and only lightly shaping it into a patty. I do them similarly and they seem to turn out good.

I think it may be the June 2002 issue----the Editor's Column called the Perfect Hamburger. The recipe is listed as on their website as Michael's Hamburger, but if you have the actual issue the entire article is really an entertaining read. Enjoy!
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/29 20:54:59 (permalink)
    I'm a firm believer in 80% lean ground chuck. Season lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Don't make the patties too thin. Don't cook them too long.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/29 21:19:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I truly wish I had the recipe for the burger that when you bit into it, would squit juice in your face and tasted like a real burger.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/29 21:24:25 (permalink)
    Man, I am getting this "quote" thing screwed up bad........anyway, I make my hamburgers according to Julia Child's rule which says that a hamburger is not a low fat food and therefore you do not use low fat meat.........she says 75 to 80 percent meat is the max! ALso very light shaping of the patties. You should not press hard. Buy fatty meat, shape them lightly, grill and then let the juice dribble down your chin!
    Wiseguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/29 23:51:45 (permalink)
    I've had success using ground round,but the key I think is to preheat the cooking surface so the juices are seared in.When you see the edges of the pattie starting to brown check the underside and flip it over and leave it to sear,lightly pressing it down to flatten,I like to use salt,pepper and what I think makes it great,onion powder to season before cooking.
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 00:27:49 (permalink)
    I get raves from my guests when I cook burgers on the grill. The secret? I use a burger that is packed for Foodservice sale, not retail supermarket. It is the "Farmland Gold Medal Certified Black Angus 100% Ground CHUCK 6 oz or 8 oz Burgers"
    Simply outrageously juicy and delicious !!!!!!!

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 00:39:24 (permalink)
    I've been advised to add about a Tbsp of water per . . . . Well, about that much water when cooking the things.

A relatively thin slice of onion between 2 patties pressed together around the edges helps. It should be about 1/2" or more from the edges so as not to split the patty while cooking.

Don't press down too hard or you'll squish out the juices.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 08:49:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy B

I get raves from my guests when I cook burgers on the grill. The secret? I use a burger that is packed for Foodservice sale, not retail supermarket. It is the "Farmland Gold Medal Certified Black Angus 100% Ground CHUCK 6 oz or 8 oz Burgers"
    Simply outrageously juicy and delicious !!!!!!!

http://www.farmlandfoods.com/

Tommy B - I went to the web site that you posted, but I couldn't find the product that you mentioned. Where do you get them?
    Alirush
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 10:21:50 (permalink)
    I've also heard that you should insert a large pat of butter right in the center of your gently formed, high-fat patty before cooking. That should add to the juicy squirt you're in search of, Sundancer!
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 11:19:26 (permalink)
    I have found that the best burger is one made from fresh ground chuck, fresh from the butcher. If you have frozen the meat and thaw it, it doesn't make anything close to a decent burger, and can be greyish. And the more fat in the meat, the better. It has to splatter and make lots of mess on your cooktop and its surround. They are good on the grill but better in a sizzling hot cast-iron skillet.

Speaking of burger articles, Wine Spectator did one also. I'd see if I could find it to post it, but they are a pay-site. But I remember them mentioning the big-a*s*s ones from the NYC steak houses and one from a fancy restaurant that had foie gras in it!

Meowzart
    topferment
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 12:17:16 (permalink)
    High heat surface( I agree with Meowzart that cast iron is the best option) and make sure not to overcook the burger. I too recommend fresh 80/20 ground beef, but I have loosely formed and worked the patties a lot and in my experience that hasn't made much difference. I season mine just prior to cooking with Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning. I also think toasting buttered buns on the skillet or grill makes a world of difference to the taste of the final product.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4078
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 12:52:23 (permalink)
    When I do my burgers these days I use a cast iron grill pan with high ridges. It cooks the burgers beautifully. Garlic powder is the only thing I put on with the salt (kosher) and fresh ground pepper. As has been mentioned, DON'T use lean beef--------should have at least 20% fat. Turns out real yummy then!
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 13:52:17 (permalink)
    Sundancer - I make hamburgers the way my mother and grandmother taught me, and my kids say that they are better than any that can be bought.

I mix the meat with salt and pepper and form it into patties, but not packed tightly. I preheat my #12 cast iron skillet and sprinkle a little salt in the pan before adding the meat. I sear both sides and turn the heat down a little until done. Now, the important part!

When the patties are done to your liking, lay a slice of cheese on top of each, then put the buns on top of each patty (bottom bun first, stack the top bun on next), then turn the fire off and cover the skillet tightly with a lid for at least 5 to 15 minutes. This steams the buns with the heat from the meat and keeps the burgers juicy.

You can't make a better burger!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 13:59:34 (permalink)
    Lone Star: I like your method. Why do you sprinkle the cast iron with salt?

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CheeseWit
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 14:19:20 (permalink)
    Lone Star: sounds like a good method. I have the same question as Sundancer7.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/30 15:39:12 (permalink)
    Becuase my mom did

Really, I think it was to prevent sticking.
    Wiseguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/31 04:40:55 (permalink)
    Good tip Lonestar,thanks!
    CheeseWit
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/07/31 08:52:36 (permalink)
    OK Lonestar, I'll do as your mom has done!
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/04 10:03:12 (permalink)
    The recently much publicized blueberry hamburger (purpose of blueberry addition to make burger more juicy) was just featured (tried/tasted) on Today show this morn with judgment that blueberry addition (totally pureed or left with little pieces, per the individual's preference) of the recommended 5 per cent of meat quantity did make for a good juicy burger with blueberry taste indistinguishable. Chef also stated that other fruits (mentioning specifically dried prunes and cherries) could be added and in fact were now in many school lunch program burgers. I was surprised when chef stated blueberry addition was only 5 per cent, for thought I'd read something earlier indicating much greater quantity of berries in the burgers. This amount makes more sense and might be good, to me at least, even if result was a bit of the berry flavor, for I like fruits/fruit flavors with many meats. Guess the berry addition is based on same thought as the water or butter additions to burgers, both of which seem a bit easier than the berries. But I've never really found any such additions necessary to get a good juicy burger. I agree with above comments that meat should not be super lean and with topferment's recommendation for toasting the buns in the skillet. That surely adds to the total flavor, even if it makes eating a bit messier (but a good burger is already so messy that little addition of messiness is immaterial; messiness is just part of the good burger eating experience).
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/04 20:33:18 (permalink)
    "beefy" flavor is a real problem; you can make fat-laden meat that doesn't have much cow flavor to it, and thats the biggest problem I come across. The answer is grass-fed beef, possiby, or aging and trimming chuck roasts and grinding them after a 14-21-28 day dry age....the weight loss would be stupendous (water is the anti-flavor, but water weighs a lot - dry aging reduces water, so flavor is concentrated, and enzyme activity creates deeper/beefier flavor), but the flavor would be incredible.

Eric, dreaming of aging steer.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/04 21:28:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Becuase my mom did

Really, I think it was to prevent sticking.

actually it does dram any moisture of o apan and salting is a great way to cure a pan===fill your cast iron pan with a thin layer of salt--say 1/4" thick and heat it for as long as you want on medium-high heat--it will draw all the impurities out of the pan and into the salt and leave the pan nice and smooth. after i cure them like this i wash them with no soap and scrubb with a copper mateal scrubber--copper is softer then iron so it wont scratch--then i dry them on the burner since they are porous amd may look dry on the outside but have water in the pores---that water left in the metal pores will be drawn out into that salt that your mom put in the pan thus keeping your pan smooth an free of rust pits.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/04 21:59:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Sundancer - I make hamburgers the way my mother and grandmother taught me, and my kids say that they are better than any that can be bought.

I mix the meat with salt and pepper and form it into patties, but not packed tightly. I preheat my #12 cast iron skillet and sprinkle a little salt in the pan before adding the meat. I sear both sides and turn the heat down a little until done. Now, the important part!

When the patties are done to your liking, lay a slice of cheese on top of each, then put the buns on top of each patty (bottom bun first, stack the top bun on next), then turn the fire off and cover the skillet tightly with a lid for at least 5 to 15 minutes. This steams the buns with the heat from the meat and keeps the burgers juicy.

You can't make a better burger!

I never thought of covering the skillet at the end! Thanks!!
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/04 23:58:07 (permalink)
    Tiki, do you use the salt as a curing method for a new iron skillet, or for a seasoned skillet that need a little TLC?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/05 04:33:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

Eric, dreaming of aging steer.

And I thought you would go for the cute young hefers.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/05 10:50:22 (permalink)
    When you pat out the "patties", press the center a little, so it is thinner, and you won't have to cook it so long to get the center up to temperature. Also, you can put the meat in a bowl and add Worcestershire sauce to it before forming. Some even add a pack of onion soup mix.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/05 11:22:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BarbaraCt

When you pat out the "patties", press the center a little, so it is thinner, and you won't have to cook it so long to get the center up to temperature. Also, you can put the meat in a bowl and add Worcestershire sauce to it before forming. Some even add a pack of onion soup mix.

Pressing the center will also help keep the middle from puffing up, especially when cooking on the grill. I first read about doing that in Cook's Illustrated, and it really works!
    Pool Boy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/05 12:17:41 (permalink)
    I have heard of some folks who add just a little bit of stock to the burger meat prior to patty formation to make the burger extra juicy.

BTW, thanks for the salt curing tips for cast iron skillets.
    shoemakerb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/05 13:18:18 (permalink)
    A long time ago, I saw Graham Kerr on TV recommending adding a little soy sauce to lean ground beef to compensate for the reduced fat. I got into the habit and have done it ever since, no matter what the fat content.

A lot of good suggestions here. I also recall reading to mix a little crushed ice into the beef before grilling. Never tried it myself, though.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: What makes a juicy Hamburger? 2003/08/05 14:11:19 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT
    And I thought you would go for the cute young hefers.

Hrm. I'm pretty sure my beloved isn't a heifer, but steers would certainly be lacking something in the love department....

Eric, Keeping His Dreams Quiet From Here On Out
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1