What restaurants have the best crab feasts?

Author
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
2004/06/28 23:01:14 (permalink)

What restaurants have the best crab feasts?

I just checked the list of forums and didn't see a topic like this; if I am mistaken, just let me know!

At any rate, I've seen a lot of discussion about the best crab cakes (I'd vote for Faidley's and G&M) but less about the best places to eat spiced crabs. Baltimore magazine has their list of the best crab places in this month's issue, but I'd love to hear what you all think. It would be nice to know about the quality of side orders, price, etc.

I haven't eaten crab in the rough lately, but way back when, I enjoyed Obrycki's, although it was very expensive. What say you?!

10 Replies Related Threads

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/06/29 20:24:33 (permalink)
    I don't do the big restaurant thing for steamed crabs, If I'm not steaming them myself I will buy them from the Sea Hut, a little place right in Catonsville. I prefer to eat my crabs at home. I like to take my time & I can do in a whole dozen by myself so it can take a little time. The Sea Hut does have tables but I just do carry out. Their other seafood can be really good too. I like their large fried shrimp and soft crabs. I'm not big on crab fluffs in general but those who do like them say their's are pretty good. The macaroni salad is one of my favorites, it not sweet & has egg in it.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/06/29 21:03:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

I just checked the list of forums and didn't see a topic like this; if I am mistaken, just let me know!

At any rate, I've seen a lot of discussion about the best crab cakes (I'd vote for Faidley's and G&M) but less about the best places to eat spiced crabs. Baltimore magazine has their list of the best crab places in this month's issue, but I'd love to hear what you all think. It would be nice to know about the quality of side orders, price, etc.

I haven't eaten crab in the rough lately, but way back when, I enjoyed Obrycki's, although it was very expensive. What say you?!

Our family loves Bo Brookes...............it is on the water. They now have a great floating deck and if you arrive early enough you are sure to get really large crabs!
    Chef Susan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/06/29 22:22:16 (permalink)
    I just ate at Obrycki's in late May. We gorged ourselves for about 60 per person (tip included) so it wasn't cheap. It was good but not exceptional. I must admit I am new to genuine crab cakes...and found them a little too simple for my tastes...but PURE crab meat. Nothing like I have ever had on the west coast.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/06/30 18:35:48 (permalink)
    The carb meat is what Chesapeake crab cakes are all about- all the rest of the cake is just to hold it together and enhance the taste a bit...

We haven't sat down at a table covered with Kraft paper and picked
    crabs for a long time. It was great fun drinking beer and picking crab meat , but at some point we decided that , while we still love the crabmeat and the beer we , are content to let someone else do the
    work and we'll just enjoy the sweet lumps of crabmeat, thank you...
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/06/30 19:35:43 (permalink)
    Yeah, I am not particularly proficient at extracting meat, and I'm picky. I don't want to bother with small crabs. I want 'em heavy and BIG! And lately, I've just done the lazy crab thing, too. But the article in Baltimore magazine just made my mouth water and made me want to do a crab feast again. So, one of these days...! I'll have to try Bo Brookes.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/07/13 13:51:08 (permalink)
    Eating crabs is a social experience as much as anything. Sitting outside next to the water with long neck bottles of beer and spending leisurely hours picking morsels of crabmeat and good conversation. Ah, the land of pleasant living. In my book, better than crab cakes, better than eating them at home. Gablers, near Aberdeen was among the best but, sadly closed now. Screened in porch for a dining room with a sink in the middle for washing up, picnic tables outside along the Bush River. Reserved your crabs and table ahead of time then it was yours for the evening. No such thing as "turning tables." I like Cantlers, Crab Claw, and just had a dozen at P.E. Pruitts in Rock Hall last weekend, which also sports an extensive Cajun menu, Harris (I think) on Kent Island.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/07/13 13:54:35 (permalink)
    I've been watching my crab intake lately.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/07/13 15:13:44 (permalink)
    My favorite here in CA is still buying a spider crab----ugly, hard shelled monsters also known as Californa King Crabs. I have been known to do a 12-pounder myself. All it needs is a few icy cold beers with it. Best places to buy them here are at outdoor fisherman's markets or on some of the piers here. There's something about sitting at a picnic table, drinking beer and working on one of these for hours while watching the boats go in and out----Yummy yummy!
    snausages2000
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/07/13 19:29:39 (permalink)
    I'm traveling from NYC to Rehoboth next week.
    I've seen a lot of great suggestions for places to get a crab feast, but most are at least an hour from Rehoboth. If I take a day trip to Annapolis, I'll try Cantlers, but can anyone suggest a worthy place closer to where I'll be?

Also, is it worth it to drive long distances to go to a specific crab house? In other words, is there a major difference, other than quirks of atmosphere and setting, between any given good crab-feast restaurant?

Thanks for suggestions.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: What restaurants have the best crab feasts? 2004/07/14 00:44:48 (permalink)
    Several good places for steamed crabs in Fenwick and Ocean City. I think Gunnings is still in OC. Have the green pepper rings as an appetizer. Very good seafood at Grillfish right on Rt 1 in Rehoboth. Couple of good places in Dewey too.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1