What should McD's do?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
jojobeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/09 22:47:41 (permalink)
Anyone see the movie Super Size Me? LOL
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/10 11:05:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

Put an express lane in the drive thru!!

Not only would we never have to get out of our car!!---but we wouldnt even have to slow down much!!
wallhd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/10 11:16:50 (permalink)
McD's downfall started when they fell prey to the collective "food police" and changed their french fry process. Then they fell prey to the collective "tree huggers" and did away with the foam packaging that kept the Big Mac and 1/4 #er with cheese fresher and hotter for longer. The "food police" again got them to change their shakes to frozen youghrt. One of my professors at Cornell was discussing the perceived value of youghrt as a digestive aid. His feeling was that the only way youghrt would be of any benefit to ones digestive tract would be if it were taken as an enema.

I'm drifting away from my point here. McD's would be far better off by going "back to basics".

Wally
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/10 11:58:08 (permalink)
Disliking homogenized franchised food is the reason behind this entire web site. That said, there are those who like that sort of thing and god bless 'em (just don't make me eat there) as choices are good. For those who can't make it a week without their fast food, here are a few of probably many sites devoted their loves:
http://www.copykat.com/asp/recipes.asp
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/classyclones/classyclones.html
http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/Copycat.html

For the rest of us, we must plan our trips wisely as the ma and pa places are never on the exit signs on the highways we travel on. Thank God for the Stern books and these forums.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/10 12:17:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

quote:

Not only would we never have to get out of our car!!---but we wouldnt even have to slow down much!!

70 mph speed limit in drive thru!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/10 15:49:27 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

70 mph speed limit in drive thru!

Why does this reply not surprise me
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/11 22:11:23 (permalink)
How about a McDonalds that cooks good and hot and fresh meals, have to wait for food. Bigger hamburgers, decent fries, up to par with Rally's. And tiki, what you got aginst me?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/12 08:42:58 (permalink)
Wafflehouserules--its nothing personal-i just dont understand why anyone so obviously dedicated to fast food spends so much time at Roadfood? I get the impression that ypou spend your whole life moving atabout 200mph and never have time to stop and smell the roses, never mind enjoy a leisurely,well cooked meal,
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/12 09:27:42 (permalink)
Quote: "They would be better off starting a concept store without the McDonalds name I would think"

Actually they do have stores without the McDonald's name:
Boston Market
Donato's Pizza
Chipotle Mexican Grille

On the rare occasions when I don't have time to cook, I do patronize Boston Mkt.--as long as I have one of the coupons. As for Donato's--I live in NJ, where the multitude of Mom & Pop pizzarias make chain pizzarias truly laughable. However, I have heard decent things about Chipotle, and wish that McDonald's would open one near me.

Regarding cleanliness--even though there will always be variations from one franchisee to another, overall I find McDonald's, Wendy's & Taco Bell to have clean restrooms. Unfortunately, I have found Burger Kings to have generally the least hygienic facilities.

Of course, there are always variations. For instance, at a McDonald's in Reading, PA, the men's room that I encountered was FILTHY and there was no soap available. Needless to say, I would not consider eating there.

Oh--incidentally--my visits to fast food places are normally just to use the rest rooms. I would estimate that I only eat in these places about 5 or 6 times a year--in other words, when I have no other options whatsoever.

WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/12 15:56:51 (permalink)
Tiki, I ate at a local place for dinner this evening. I told you I eat at local mom n pop's. Good and hot fried chicken at kens pizza in waterford,mi. Good french fries. Kfc and MacDonalds could learn something form places like this.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/12 18:17:49 (permalink)
quote:

Tiki, I ate at a local place for dinner this evening. I told you I eat at local mom n pop's. Good and hot fried chicken at kens pizza in waterford,mi. Good french fries. Kfc and MacDonalds could learn something form places like this.

Ken's Pizza?--the same Ken's Pizza that i see all over Oklahoma?
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/12 20:00:31 (permalink)
No, this is a local place here in waterford,michigan. A waterford tradition since 1974. Thats a different kens pizza in Oklahoma. This is a local joint.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/12 20:03:30 (permalink)
Also, it is a family owned buisness.It is not associated with any chain.
eaglerich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 04:08:48 (permalink)
FYI, McDonalds has sold the Donato's chain back to the pizza chain's original founder.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 06:23:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Disliking homogenized franchised food is the reason behind this entire web site. That said, there are those who like that sort of thing and god bless 'em (just don't make me eat there) as choices are good. For those who can't make it a week without their fast food, here are a few of probably many sites devoted their loves:

For the rest of us, we must plan our trips wisely as the ma and pa places are never on the exit signs on the highways we travel on. Thank God for the Stern books and these forums.

Careful -- suggesting folks post their fascination for crappy chain places on a web site devoted to crappy chain places can get you labeled a "chain hater." They make you sit in the car while all the cool kids get to hang out in the Cracker Barrell.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 09:54:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Careful -- suggesting folks post their fascination for crappy chain places on a web site devoted to crappy chain places can get you labeled a "chain hater." They make you sit in the car while all the cool kids get to hang out in the Cracker Barrell.

ROFLMAO!!!
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 14:43:02 (permalink)
All of my friends dont eat at these local places, so when im with them they go to white castle, and micky d's. I am the only person in waterford,michigan that knows what real food is. I do like white castle because its cheap and I can get like 20 burgers for 10 dollars, but I would preffer a REAL hamburger. I do love rally's because I can get good food fast. Also this dollar menu thing dosent work at micky d's last time I went there I spent 10 dollars, thats redicolus. I only go there when Im sick. I do not have any good local joints close to me with good hamburgers.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 15:32:19 (permalink)
quote:

Wafflehouserules--its nothing personal-i just dont understand why anyone so obviously dedicated to fast food spends so much time at Roadfood? I get the impression that ypou spend your whole life moving atabout 200mph and never have time to stop and smell the roses, never mind enjoy a leisurely,well cooked meal,

I work six days a week, from 3:30 AM til early afternoon. Don't have time for a leisurely meal at every dining venue. Weekends are a different story. I don't need to eat at a chain when i'm given the time factor. And i do have some good favorites, even here in the Chicago 'burbs. And pleeaaase, don't jump on me for my opinion![|)]
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 16:37:17 (permalink)
Tiki and everyone else, I am not addicted to fast food, but it is the only resturants I have in my town. Great local eateries are almost non exsitant here. I liva in a major metropolitian area. I eat at the local eateries here in the area all the time. I dont live at 200 mph, but im really into NASCAR so you know how I am. I like to eat at home alot. I cook good meals. I enjoy well cooked meals all the time tiki, but its that lunch hour when I just want a little, and I go to a ff joint. For dinner I love to enjoy a well cooked meal. I am tired of fast food myself, but it is the only food that is nearby me, with the exception of the few great local eateries. Like the kens pizza I told ya about, that is a LOCAL place here (not associated with the kens pizza in OK) but you dont sit down in there, you weait 30 minutes for your food to get cooked FRESH.
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 17:10:46 (permalink)
To all,

Could we please get back to reality here. I am 50 years old and I decided long ago that I would not waste my time or my money on bad food. Not to sound arrogant, but I have not eaten at a fast food restaurant in the past five years. If I know that I have to take a long trip, I do my research.

I had to go to Richmond yesterday and I ate at "Buz and Ned's". I had the choice of going to "Bill's" or "Arby's" but because of this site I chose "Buz and Ned's". When I am in my office I drive to "Sip and Bite" or walk to the "Warff Rat" for fish and chips.

When I was young it was cool to go to places like "McDonald's". We had to drive 30 miles and the experience was great. We also had the "Red Barn" and that was great as well. Of course that was 40 years ago.

Where I live, in Annapolis, there are all the usual chains, but there are also some outstanding restaurants. "O'Leary's", "The Boatyard", "Jalapeno's", "La Mona Lisa", and on and on. And this is a small town. Right directly across the street from my local McDonald's is a place named "The Main Ingredient", great food and great service.

I understand the need to stop when you have to but why the obsession here with McDonalds. We all grew up with "Burger King and Burger Chef and The Red Barn and Carrol"s and Samba"s and Arby's and Pizza Hut". It is nice to remember them fondly. But that is not why we are here. We want to find the place where we can find something unique, something that we have not ever had before.

When someone asks "Where can I eat between Richmond and Atlanta?" We don't tell them about all the McDonald's, Taco Bell and Wendy's there are along the way. We try and direct them to the great places along the way. That way we bond with the person taking the trip or discovering a new place.

I just find it a waste of time talking about McDonald's or any other chain for that matter. If I have to stop and eat quick, yeah I used to go for it, (never McDonalds though), but I have made the time to always eat at "Maria's" or "The Crossings" in LaPlata Md., than at the fast food restaurants which are across the street.

I may just join i95.

BB

tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 17:26:41 (permalink)
Jeepguy and Wafflehouserules---so you know--i really dont care what you eat--or where--(though i am glad to know that fast food is NOT your life!)--my only point in any of what may seem like a negetive statment is not that folks like or eat or get stuck eating-or cant afford to eat anything else but--fast food it's that THIS is Roadfood.Com! It should be obvious that the Stearns have taken NO position on fastfood--hell they could eat McD's 3 times a week for all we know--and i wouldnt care--but they DONT write about it HERE!---its not the eating of it that bothers me--its the having to CONSTANTLY see these pages FILLED with talk of McDs or BurgerKing or Wendys. My honest opinion is--"Who cares!" I have readily admitted to eating a few fastfood meals myself everyt now and then--and i stop at LOTS of them for drinks and bathrooms all the time. I am fully aware that there are times when you gotta eat what you can find and when you find it. One of my beat friends--a fabulous musician and a wonderful human being tht turned me to what barbeque was really all about, is totally enamored with McDonalds---he loves them and stops there alot while on the road---i still love the guy, i just think hes nuts! When we travel to a gig together---i take my own car--so i can run around the block and find some real food! So--eat what you want---its fine with me---but if i still tell my best friends hes nuts to eat that crap---i guess it would be a bit much to expect me to be impressed with "Tales of the Great Coorporate Fast Food Adventures"! I agree---you have all the right in the world to say what ever you want--this IS America---but then----so do I---and I off the opinion that my brothers bumper sticker5 is right--"Fast Food Sucks!" Now those greasy burgers with the grilled onions that we got at the 1/4 mile dirt track down the road---now aTHATS a different story!!
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 17:49:01 (permalink)
I stop and use restrooms at fast food joints all the time, but I get a snack in there when I do so.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 17:54:50 (permalink)
I have been to american spoon resturant on the home page. It is about 300 miles north of me.
Aaaaaargh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 18:10:56 (permalink)
So, saps, is Goldyburgers in Forest Park pretty good? I'll be up there this weekend.

I ate a McGriddle this morning. It was pretty good, considering, but the thing I thought was interesting is one of those sandwiches is called a "McGriddles." As in, that's the singular form. What would you call two? McGriddleses? McGriddli? McGriddlex?

I'm sure some will say that the word I'm looking for is "awful," but hey, it's a McDonald's thread ... there's a certain suspension of disbelief.
Aaaaaargh
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/14 18:15:32 (permalink)
Also, Stevekoe, one exception to not seeing mom and pop places on exit signs is central and northern Illinois. Seems like every exit I see has a sign for Tom's pancake house or something like it. Of course, if you're not in the mood for pancakes, I guess you're out of luck.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/15 18:37:17 (permalink)

I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with everything in it, but below, I have copied a mini-essay on the occasion of McDonald's 50th Anniversary. This piece comes from the daily e-letter that is sent to Wells Fargo shareholders. Just to give proper attribution, the author is Peter Nulty, the editor of the Wells Fargo e-letter. I think that this is interesting, and gives a somewhat different perspective on the fast food giant that everyone loves to hate. See below:

"Saying good things about McDonald's isn't popular these days, but Friday is the 50th anniversary of the opening of the first McDonald's, and I have some good things to say.

Let's remember (if you are old enough) what the world was like on April 15, 1955. Very few families could afford to eat out more than once or twice a year. My family rarely went to restaurants, and when we did it was considered a major extravagance. When I went to college in the early ‘60s, my parents gave me the equivalent of $2 a week in spending money. But on Sunday evenings, the dining facilities were closed and students had to fend for themselves. So I would go to a local diner with my friends for the cheapest blue-plate special in town: It cost $1.75, and left me with 25 cents to last the rest of the week. Eventually I found a part time job and life got easier, but for a while there I was pretty crimped.

Then, in 1962, a McDonald's opened up on the edge of town, and I could get essentially the same meal – a burger, fries, and a cola – for 35 cents, leaving me enough pocket money to go to a movie and hang out for a few hours at the local student coffee house. For me in those years, McDonald's was a miracle of efficiency and consistency that raised my standard of living.

I wasn't the only one impressed. My wife's cousin, who lived behind the "Iron Curtain" in Hungary, got a three-week visa in 1972 to visit America, and my wife drove him to California and back to see the sights. Even in those early days, my wife was no fan of McDonald's, but her cousin wouldn’t eat anywhere else. Why? He was amazed at American bounty. He had been told that capitalist workers were wallowing in the gutter. Instead he found them chowing down at clean, friendly, brightly-lit McDonald's for a fraction of the price he was used to paying in the Socialist paradise back home. Also, he thought the food tasted good. So the socialist and the capitalist ate at McDonald's all the way to California and back, and even today he says that the most surprising thing about his first view of America was McDonald's.

Soon after the cousin returned to Budapest, his father, who was the vice premier of Hungary at the time, instituted economic reforms that allowed entrepreneurs in Hungary to own their own small businesses. Those reforms energized the Hungarian economy and became the model for Gorbachev's "perestroika" reforms that began to thaw the Soviet Union in the ‘80s. I don't believe it's going overboard to say that the success of companies like McDonald's played a major role in bringing an end to the Cold War.

By providing copious protein for a pittance, McDonald's (and restaurants like it) enriched us all. But it also raised a new problem that we are now struggling with: Many of us consume more food than we need and we have to learn how to rein in our appetites somehow. But I'd rather have today's dilemma than the one we faced in 1955, when only the wealthy had to worry about being overweight. I don't blame McDonald's for making food affordable for me; I blame myself for lack of discipline. But I'm confident we will, um, lick this eventually.

Thank you, Richard and Maurice McDonald. Thank you Ray Kroc. And happy birthday, Mickey Dee's. Oh, yeah: Would you do something about that silly clown, Ronald What's-His-Face? He's really annoying. (Kidding!
)"

Peter Nulty
Editor
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/15 19:08:40 (permalink)
Honestly I have to admit that I love the chicken selects. Dont get all on me because of this, but I just love them. I still have a thing with mcd's chicken nuggetts. When I was little that made my day. That post above brings back a flashback. I loved it when I went to Micky D's and played in the playplace, and then sat down and ate my Mcnuggetts.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/15 19:14:07 (permalink)
A Quarter Pounder w/cheese was good when it was served in an orange styrofoam box floating in a mixture of blood and grease. That was long ago. I've not had one in years, but i'll do a regular or double cheeseburger sometimes just like i've been doing for 40 years. BTW i saw many News Teams just down the street from my workplace at the McDonald's museum taping for the 50th year celebration and showing that behemoth Mac's in Chicago. If you ever visit the museum in Des Plaines IL, be sure to ask the elderly gentleman guide, "Where's the basement"? He'll show you, pretty cool!
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/15 19:27:00 (permalink)
I loved that kids meal. Had to collect all them toys. I still have a few somewhere.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/15 19:28:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

I'm not necessarily saying that I agree with everything in it, but below, I have copied a mini-essay on the occasion of McDonald's 50th Anniversary. This piece comes from the daily e-letter that is sent to Wells Fargo shareholders. Just to give proper attribution, the author is Peter Nulty, the editor of the Wells Fargo e-letter. I think that this is interesting, and gives a somewhat different perspective on the fast food giant that everyone loves to hate. See below:

"Saying good things about McDonald's isn't popular these days, but Friday is the 50th anniversary of the opening of the first McDonald's, and I have some good things to say.

Let's remember (if you are old enough) what the world was like on April 15, 1955. Very few families could afford to eat out more than once or twice a year. My family rarely went to restaurants, and when we did it was considered a major extravagance. When I went to college in the early ‘60s, my parents gave me the equivalent of $2 a week in spending money. But on Sunday evenings, the dining facilities were closed and students had to fend for themselves. So I would go to a local diner with my friends for the cheapest blue-plate special in town: It cost $1.75, and left me with 25 cents to last the rest of the week. Eventually I found a part time job and life got easier, but for a while there I was pretty crimped.

Then, in 1962, a McDonald's opened up on the edge of town, and I could get essentially the same meal – a burger, fries, and a cola – for 35 cents, leaving me enough pocket money to go to a movie and hang out for a few hours at the local student coffee house. For me in those years, McDonald's was a miracle of efficiency and consistency that raised my standard of living.

I wasn't the only one impressed. My wife's cousin, who lived behind the "Iron Curtain" in Hungary, got a three-week visa in 1972 to visit America, and my wife drove him to California and back to see the sights. Even in those early days, my wife was no fan of McDonald's, but her cousin wouldn’t eat anywhere else. Why? He was amazed at American bounty. He had been told that capitalist workers were wallowing in the gutter. Instead he found them chowing down at clean, friendly, brightly-lit McDonald's for a fraction of the price he was used to paying in the Socialist paradise back home. Also, he thought the food tasted good. So the socialist and the capitalist ate at McDonald's all the way to California and back, and even today he says that the most surprising thing about his first view of America was McDonald's.

Soon after the cousin returned to Budapest, his father, who was the vice premier of Hungary at the time, instituted economic reforms that allowed entrepreneurs in Hungary to own their own small businesses. Those reforms energized the Hungarian economy and became the model for Gorbachev's "perestroika" reforms that began to thaw the Soviet Union in the ‘80s. I don't believe it's going overboard to say that the success of companies like McDonald's played a major role in bringing an end to the Cold War.

By providing copious protein for a pittance, McDonald's (and restaurants like it) enriched us all. But it also raised a new problem that we are now struggling with: Many of us consume more food than we need and we have to learn how to rein in our appetites somehow. But I'd rather have today's dilemma than the one we faced in 1955, when only the wealthy had to worry about being overweight. I don't blame McDonald's for making food affordable for me; I blame myself for lack of discipline. But I'm confident we will, um, lick this eventually.

Thank you, Richard and Maurice McDonald. Thank you Ray Kroc. And happy birthday, Mickey Dee's. Oh, yeah: Would you do something about that silly clown, Ronald What's-His-Face? He's really annoying. (Kidding!
)"

Peter Nulty
Editor

Ah. Finished playing around with the fonts/colors???????

I hope.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1