What should McD's do?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
phatues
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/25 17:18:13 (permalink)
on this page i have noted more roadfooders
than ever agreeing with me that this is NOT
a place to laud the national chains & the
mediocre food they, mostly, present. let's
all continue believing tiki's post. we don't
care what you eat. we just don't care to
read about it. hear, hear, tiki
Tommy2dogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/25 19:00:35 (permalink)
For the first several years McDonald's had fresh made Burgers fresh cut fries and real milk shakes. In order to sustain growth and maintain margins, everything is now overly processed chemical based crap.
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/25 19:43:07 (permalink)
For "years" they cooked that way, not just for two or three. You know, McDonald's is a starting point for all young future roadfooders. Not a person on this forum didn't eat hamburgers and stuff there when they were growing up. Nobody. When i was six it was easier for Mom to take me to Mac's for lunch than some roadfood place out in the county. Love it or hate it, Mac's will be here until we're nuked.
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/26 19:11:11 (permalink)
For me, McDonald's was "treat food" as a child and I doubt we ate there once a month, nor at any of the other fast food places.
My childhood was not a "raised on Happy Meal!" childhood and I'm likely better or it. BUT, I do like a Big Mac every now and then and yah the fries have gone to hell and blame that on the "we can't eat meat or meat byproducts!" folks.

Andrea
wrfc5
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 70
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/26 23:19:14 (permalink)
As someone who worked their way through school at McDonalds, and remembers what a treat it was to visit them as a little kid, I really do mourn the erosion of the McDonalds brand from one that used to mean quality, fun food, to one that implies poor quality, mass produced products.

I think their real mistake was that they tried to grow by grabbing market share at any cost (thus the proliferation of restaurants everywhere) rather than concentrating on what used to draw customers--quality food and friendly service. This strategy increased revenue but not profitability, and eventually Wall Street spanked them for confusing market share with real growth(to the tune of many billions of lost market cap).

McDonalds needs to concentrate on the basics again: clean restaurants, friendly service and good food. If I ever walk into a McDonalds and see a clean restroom, and get a thank you when I buy coffee (its been at least 15 years since that has happened) I might buy the stock again. But I wouldn't eat there of course--the Roadfood site has too many great places for me to waste time there!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/26 23:21:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

You know, McDonald's is a starting point for all young future roadfooders. Not a person on this forum didn't eat hamburgers and stuff there when they were growing up. Nobody. place out in the county. Love it or hate it, Mac's will be here until we're nuked.

Well, I guess you just met "nobody" because I didn't.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 353
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 14:53:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

You know, McDonald's is a starting point for all young future roadfooders. Not a person on this forum didn't eat hamburgers and stuff there when they were growing up. Nobody. place out in the county. Love it or hate it, Mac's will be here until we're nuked.

Ok stop right now, You are lying, everybody in america has ate at a McDonalds.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 15:07:35 (permalink)
On the contrary--you would be amazed at how many never have.I personally know several families of life long vegitarians who have NEVER eaten there and several others that wont go there for deeply held cultural and religious reasons. --and then there those that are just smarter then the rest of us!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7849
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 19:02:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WaffleHouserules

quote:

quote:

I have stopped there for a soda, or to use their restrooms, but that's about it. Oh, and Wafflehouse rules, if you saw my recent baseball trip thread, you'll see what real food is all about. Oh and one more thing, there was a wafflehouse attached to the Best Western we stayed at in Birmingham, if you see my thread, you'll see that we skipped right over it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18495
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 19:37:13 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

I hate to tell you this, WaffleHouserules, but there are a number of us here who did not eat anything at McDonald's while we were growing up. You seem not to have read the original post. There were no McDonald's when I was growing up.

By the way, it's not nice to call someone a liar. It's especially not nice when you don't know what in Hell you're talking about.
jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 19:57:28 (permalink)
You must be "really" old. My parents ate at Mac's with my brother and i since the chain opened, but you better believe we went to hundreds of roadfood type places as my Dad was a VERY creative eater and cook..BTW i'm "old"\|/- 46.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 21:04:06 (permalink)
I'll be 51 soon and I remember going to McD's for the first time, perhaps 1964 or so. My parents were poor, believed every meal was to be made at home and so it was my aunt who took us all there at her insistence. We were stunned that you could just ask for food and it was handed to you.
That didn't mean we went back anytime soon but it was neat.
I have a different attitude towards ff than, say my kids, who have always known of the ff world.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18495
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 21:11:12 (permalink)
quote:

You must be "really" old. My parents ate at Mac's with my brother and i since the chain opened, but you better believe we went to hundreds of roadfood type places as my Dad was a VERY creative eater and cook..BTW i'm "old"\|/- 46.

I was 13 years old when the McDonald brothers opened their first place in California. I lived in Connecticut. Kroc didn't open his first till 1955 in Illinois.

I did not grow up eating. drinking, or using a restroom at McDonald's It did not exist when I was growing up.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 21:37:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:

quote:

Im young, Micky D's has always been in my life, well not right now I dont eat there, but when I was a kid I loved Mcdonalds.

I hate to tell you this, WaffleHouserules, but there are a number of us here who did not eat anything at McDonald's while we were growing up. You seem not to have read the original post. There were no McDonald's when I was growing up.

By the way, it's not nice to call someone a liar. It's especially not nice when you don't know what in Hell you're talking about.
WaffleHouserules
Cheeseburger
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 21:41:56 (permalink)
Anybody here try Japanese food? vegetable Tampura is pretty good. Ate at Japanese place in the mall today. I passed up on Mickey D's. I dont really care for Micky D's.
Spinaltap
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 23:10:56 (permalink)
McDonald's has a sleeping giant on their hands and they don't even know it. (or they do and the white shirts in the board room talk themselves out of it every time). With very little extra investment, they would have a run away hit.

Back in 1985 I was working in McDonalds in Ocean City, MD. A co-worker and I were about to take our lunch break one day and we were feeling especially hungry... and creative.

The result was... The Colossal Big Mac!

We took 2 quarter pounder patties and placed them on the grill.
We then took quarter buns (a crown and two heals) and proceeded to dress the buns with double toppings.

With the gazillions of people that have worked for McDonald's over the years, I'm sure my buddy and I weren't the only ones that have ever tried this magnificent sandwich before ...and if any of you have, you know what I'm talking about!

After that day of discovery back in the summer '85, I ate a Colossal Big Mac every day that I worked!

To this day I am ruined! Regular Big Macs just don't stand up.

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 705
RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/27 23:44:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by joseiw2

You may not have been paying attention, but the fries are horrible and have been for the past 15 years. I don't know what they did to change them, but if they are not hot they leave a gross film of grease over the inside of your mouth. There is only one reason to eat at McDonalds if you are over 12: you can eat the food while driving and have a reasonable chance to staying relatively clean. Remember to throw your tie over your shoulder, though.

Really, does McD even deserve a place on this forum? This is roadfood, and McD is the antithesis or roadfood. In fact, if roadfood and McD were to touch, well, I would not want to be around.

To answer your question, what did McD's do to change them?

They quit frying them in beef fat!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1