What should McD's do?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
2005/03/14 15:36:45 (permalink)

What should McD's do?

What would you like to see McDonalds do to improve? I'd like to see them go the In-N-Out route. Get rid of all menu items except burgers, fries, shakes and drinks. They should focus on the burgers they are known for: the regular little burger and cheeseburger, Big Mac, and Quarter Pounder. And they should improve the quality dramatically. People want to like McDonalds and would be lined out the door if McD's just got back to basics. Perhaps they could call this concept "McDonalds Classic."

76 Replies Related Threads

quill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 16:15:45 (permalink)
    I would disagree.

McDonald has always gotten by on their store/food consistency, prices, clean stores, family friendly persona, and customer first attitude.

Nobody goes to McDonald's for their food(fries is an exception).

They would be better off starting a concept store without the McDonalds name I would think
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 16:30:46 (permalink)
    I'll admit it again, I love a double quarter pounder with cheese and some fries. I don't think you can improve on it. I'm not saying it qualifies as what we would consider a great classic burger. But McDonalds is a different kind of creature. There are burgers like you make at home, and then there is #4 supersized with a diet coke....speaking of which I started my diet today.
    ChiliDog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 17:28:18 (permalink)
    I think Saint Matt has something here. A "Classic McDonald's" with the VERY limited menu, but carry it even further... Model them after the original McDonald Brothers' Drive-up resturants in San Bernardino.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 17:35:19 (permalink)
    I dunno, if McD's made a Big Mac and Quarter Pounder that tasted like they did back in the early 80's, I'd sure go back. A LOT.

Maybe it's NOT such a good idea....
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7835
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 18:08:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Saint Matt

What would you like to see McDonalds do to improve?

Go out of business!!
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 22:04:08 (permalink)
    Personally, I can't stand McDonalds. Even as a little kid, I couldn't stomach it. It's lousy, low quality, overly processed "food." But, I've noticed that a lot of people WANT to like the place. They grew up with it and it's a part of their childhood memories. That's why I asked, "What should McDonalds do?"
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 23:23:25 (permalink)
    quote:

Personally, I can't stand McDonalds. Even as a little kid, I couldn't stomach it. It's lousy, low quality, overly processed "food." But, I've noticed that a lot of people WANT to like the place. They grew up with it and it's a part of their childhood memories. That's why I asked, "What should McDonalds do?"

When I was growing up I disliked McDonald's as well. My dad was a Tommy's fan (we lived in Silver Lake in L.A.) so if we got burgers it was Tommy's or Jay's Jay Burgers. If most people grew up eating Tommy's they wouldn't like McDonald's either - there is just no comparison.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/14 23:45:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Go out of business!!

thank you thank you thank you thank you.
    RIGHT ON.
    NOT roadfood.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 00:40:28 (permalink)
    Here ya go PeachPie: "Marimac's mother said Marimac must marry me, My mother said I must marry, Marimac".

Sorry to get off the endlessly fascinating subject of McD's, y'all.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 02:54:44 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Go out of business!!

I was thinking "shutter all their stores." I guess great minds think alike!

Just got back from baseball roadtrip round #1 -- I will post some details in one of the AZ forums. If you haven't made it out there yet, you should try to take in some AZ spring training sometime (this coming from the guy who has spring training in his backyard at home!).

Steve
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3755
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 03:01:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Peachpie9

P.S. Can someone tell me why McDonalds threads here on Roadfood.com are proliferating in such alarming numbers? It reminds me of McDonalds' corporate policy of infiltration of every corner and culture of the globe.I think the collective cholesterol count has risen just because of it! And if someone can top THAT for alliteration, I want to see it!

I think that because when some people read the home page "The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America" and "What is Roadfood? Great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods. It is sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu" that they think that someone must clearly be talking about McDonald's, Chili's, Applebee's, Taco Bell, BK, and the Sizzler.

Yet, somehow, these topics are still the ones that generate legitimate posts.

Steve
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 07:21:50 (permalink)
    Hey Peachpie what was the name of that great supermarket you referred to? Is it still around? (Sorry to get off topic, but considering WHAT the topic is didn't think you'd mind).

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 07:25:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by quill

I would disagree.

McDonald has always gotten by on their store/food consistency, prices, clean stores, family friendly persona, and customer first attitude.

You must have missed the Dateline story the other night. They surveyed health inspections of 100 stores of each of the top ten fast food joints.

McDonalds won with the most major health violations.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7159895/page/3/ (for as long as that link may last)

quill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 09:42:00 (permalink)
    Yeah I didn't see the dateline article.

But there is a difference between what goes on in the kitchen and what people see when they go to the bathrooms and lobby.

Peoples perception when traveling down the highway is that the McDonald's _will_ be clean especially the bathrooms.

Not that this is always true.

p.s. My kitchen would have a ton of violations.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 09:44:52 (permalink)
    I despair as well at the number of people who willingly discuss ALL these chains and yet a post about a ma & pa place goes unnoticed.
    My one explanation is that we can all discuss these chains because they are near to all of us, or most of us anyway, therefore we share those things in common.
    A ma & pa place in NC, TN, or wherever, may not have any appeal to someone living west of the MS river.

Not a rationalization, just an explanation. Still maddening though.
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 10:41:26 (permalink)
    In sticking with the topic of the actual food....

1. Go back to toasting buns, especially on the Big Mac. Tastes way better and if I had to get burns from them when I worked there in '82, today's kiddies can hack it too!

2. Go back to prepreparing food and letting settle in heat bins. I SWEAR the stuff tastes better if it is allowed to "cure" (for lack of better word) for 5-10 mins for all of the appropriate chemical reactions to take place that gives unique taste.

Today's lukewarm Big Mac on squishy bun with unmelted cheese just isn't the same.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 19:51:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I despair as well at the number of people who willingly discuss ALL these chains and yet a post about a ma & pa place goes unnoticed.
    My one explanation is that we can all discuss these chains because they are near to all of us, or most of us anyway, therefore we share those things in common.
    A ma & pa place in NC, TN, or wherever, may not have any appeal to someone living west of the MS river.

"My one explanation is that we can all discuss these chains because they are near to all of us, or most of us anyway, therefore we share those things in common."

Yep. You are absolutely right. I really don't care about a M&P place way over (anywhere) that I will never visit, anyway. Probably GREAT food; but...., etc....
    joseiw2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 19:58:55 (permalink)
    You may not have been paying attention, but the fries are horrible and have been for the past 15 years. I don't know what they did to change them, but if they are not hot they leave a gross film of grease over the inside of your mouth. There is only one reason to eat at McDonalds if you are over 12: you can eat the food while driving and have a reasonable chance to staying relatively clean. Remember to throw your tie over your shoulder, though.

Really, does McD even deserve a place on this forum? This is roadfood, and McD is the antithesis or roadfood. In fact, if roadfood and McD were to touch, well, I would not want to be around.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 21:48:43 (permalink)
    CLOSE
    LL
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/15 22:06:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

"My one explanation is that we can all discuss these chains because they are near to all of us, or most of us anyway, therefore we share those things in common."

Yep. You are absolutely right. I really don't care about a M&P place way over (anywhere) that I will never visit, anyway. Probably GREAT food; but...., etc....

oh, BUT.....
    I DO want to KNOW about a mom and pop place somewhere else... it's fun to read about REAL roadfood, but i (and i'll bet others...) answer "posts" on things I KNOW and i don't KNOW any (mom and pop) places anywhereelse but here in Portland and maybe a little bit of otherplaces.......
    I notice that there seems to be "pockets" of roadfood heaven all over the counrty, but not nearly as widespread (UNFORTUNATELY) as McD's, taco bell, Chilis etc........... so that's why people post about it.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/22 12:27:34 (permalink)
    They SHOULD bring back the cheddarmelt!!!!!!!
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/22 14:04:31 (permalink)
    One of the reasons why these threads are popular are that aside from the commonality (pretty much everyone has seen or been in a McDonalds), these threads are a flashpoint for some. The ironic thing is that many who hate these threads and post to them actually help perpetuate the thread.

The threads about Mom and Pop joints don't necessarily get responses because really, what is there to say. If I post about my experience at "Goldyburgers" in Forest Park, IL, I don't expect to be inundated with responses. But I do hope that someone notes it as a good burger joint and if they are in the area, will take advantage of it. But if no one has been there, and there is no common knowledge of the area or place and no one has any questions, what should someone post?

As for McDonalds, while not a fan, their business model is sound. They provide dependable, consistent quality of some denominator, are known to be a solid corporate charitable contributor, and do a good job of running a business to serve an existing demand for their goods. People vote with their dollars. If you don't like their offering, don't go. Likewise, if you don't watch "Desperate Housewives" on TV, turn the channel.

Exploitation is not necessarily a bad word, even in Webster's. ALL businesses seek to exploit a marketplace. That is why they exist. If they don't, they fail.

If McDonalds bears responsibility in causing obesity and health issues, then all food purveyors, large or small, should be accountable to the same standard for knowingly serving unhealthy food. That includes all chains as well as the Mom-and-Pop burger joints around the country, the great pizza places of the Northeast, and the BBQ joints of the Southwest, to name a few. You could make the argument that Mac's and other chains are held to a higher standard, since they have to disclose the nutritional information of their offerings.

McDonalds is simply a formerly small business that has marketed itself well, sustained and grown, and turned profits. It's a successful business. If you don't want corporate deathburgers, don't eat them. Hate the burger, not the business.

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/30 21:48:57 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Go out of business!!

LOL !!!
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/30 22:41:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joseiw2

You may not have been paying attention, but the fries are horrible and have been for the past 15 years. I don't know what they did to change them, but if they are not hot they leave a gross film of grease over the inside of your mouth.

McDonald's switched to cooking the fries in vegetable shortening some time around 1990, in an effort to appear more "healthy" (they'd been frying the McNuggets in veggie shortening some time before that, I believe.) Previously, they used a beef tallow mix which is what made their fries so yummy.

Using vegetable shortening allows them to advertise the fries as "100% cholesterol free!" Of course, the new shortening contains trans fats AND saturated fats, so how much healthier the new fries are is a matter for debate, especially when you consider how much bigger today's typical fry order is compared to 15 years ago.

And is it just me, or is the rationale of picking McD's for "consistent food in a clean restaurant" another casualty of modern times? It seems every one I go into these days is dirtier than the next, and I often find the fries cold or limp and the sandwiches haphazardly assembled. I remember things being better in "the old days," but maybe it's just the fond reminiscences of somebody rapidly approaching middle age...
    caratzas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/30 22:42:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Today's lukewarm Big Mac on squishy bun with unmelted cheese just isn't the same.

ITA. Unmelted cheese is teh gross.
    phatues
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/03/31 18:27:50 (permalink)
    okay wallyum,
    you tell me how many national chains
    jane & michael have reviewed, or put
    into there books????? HUH???
    WaffleHouserules
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/01 15:39:08 (permalink)
    Put an express lane in the drive thru!!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/01 18:39:54 (permalink)
    I continue to wonder why we have threads about McDonald's simply because it is so rare anything enlightening gets said. The thread where we talked about regional chains was more informative and less predictable.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: What should McD's do? 2005/04/01 18:50:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

I continue to wonder why we have threads about McDonald's simply because it is so rare anything enlightening gets said. The thread where we talked about regional chains was more informative and less predictable.

Why? McDee's is easy to abuse...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1