The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35
Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? Sun, 06/20/10 12:33 PM (permalink)
Pigiron

Foodbme

Pigiron

I would save a couple of those ribs and throw them into my all-day Sunday gravy.

What's your version of "Sunday Gravy"? In Italian familes, it's a tomato based sauce; in other families it's a Brown Gravy or a Thanksgiving type of gravy.

Sunday Gravy is a tomato sauce with a lot of different meats and is simmered all day.  I grew up watching my Italian-American neighbors make this every weekend.  When I was teaching myself to cook, this was one of the things I made sure I got right.  I've never used a recipe, but recently I found one in Cook's Country that looks pretty dead-on to me.  Use quality canned San Marzano tomatoes if possible.  

Italian Sunday Gravy Serves 8 to 10
Most sausage has enough seasoning to make extra salt unnecessary. The hearty sauce makes a meal when paired with 2 pounds of rigatoni, ziti, or penne.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
1 pound sweet Italian sausage 
1 pound hot Italian sausage 
2 onions , chopped medium
12 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano 
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste 
1/2 cup dry red wine 
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained 
1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce 
2 pounds bone-in country-style spareribs , trimmed of excess fat
1 1/2 pounds flank steak 
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil  
Pepper 

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add sweet sausage and cook until well browned and fat begins to render, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate to drain, then place in slow-cooker insert. Repeat with hot sausage.
2. Cook onions in sausage fat over medium heat until well browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook until paste begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in wine and simmer, scraping browned bits from pan bottom with wooden spoon, until wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker insert and stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
3. Submerge spareribs and flank steak in sauce in slow-cooker insert. Set slow cooker on low, cover, and cook until meat is tender, 8 to 10 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.)
4. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer sausages, ribs, and flank steak to baking sheet and set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred ribs and flank steak into small pieces, discarding excess fat and bones; slice sausages in half crosswise. Use wide spoon to skim fat off surface, then stir sausages and shredded meat back into sauce. Stir in basil and season with pepper. Serve. (Leftover gravy can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.)

It's always been "gravy" to me.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? Sun, 06/20/10 12:51 PM (permalink)
    I season them with different things depending on my mood. Last time was "grill creations" St. Louis style chicken and rib rub. I then take two 18" long pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil and make  a foil sealed bag for the ribs. In the meantime heat up the grill to a fairly low temp (I use 300) set the grill up for indirect cooking, put the pouch on the grill, turn after 30 minutes. After the hour is up remove pouch from grill , crank it up to high, open pouch and lightly smear your favorite BBQ sauce on meat and return to grill for a couple minute per side to finish. You may have to experiment to get the cooking time right. Don't cook too long or they will be dry.
    Let me clarify the last step remove meat from pouch, smear with BBQ sauce and put directly on grill to finish.
    <message edited by ces1948 on Sun, 06/20/10 1:19 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9527
      Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? Sun, 06/20/10 1:02 PM (permalink)
      Reaper

I salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder them to taste then dredge them in flour, let them sit for an hour then deep fry them.

WOW! Now that's different!
       Never heard of or would ever think of deep frying Ribs, much less Country Style Ribs. Wouldn't that create a problem with the fat in the ribs splattering all over the place?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
        Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? Sun, 06/20/10 3:57 PM (permalink)
        seatown76

OK question again on the country style pork ribs...I want to grill them tomorrow, sorry smoking is not an option for me, but I need to know if I should cook them for a little while low and slow in the oven for a bit before toss them on the grill. I know they can be a bit tough if not given enough time.

Whether you split the cook between the oven and the grill or do it all on the grill you'll still need to give them enough time.  If you're going to be adding any sort of wood smoke you could start on the grill and finish in the oven.

Brad

Reaper

• Total Posts: 188
          Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? Mon, 06/21/10 12:14 AM (permalink)
          Foodbme

Reaper

I salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder them to taste then dredge them in flour, let them sit for an hour then deep fry them. The only other way I would prepare a pork butt is make sausage and you cannot beat that

WOW! Now that's different!
           Never heard of or would ever think of deep frying Ribs, much less Country Style Ribs. Wouldn't that create a problem with the fat in the ribs splattering all over the place?

Country style ribs are a pork butt sliced, they came out flavorful and tender deep fried. That"s how I do most all pork chops or country ribs now, the only other way I prepare a pork butt is to make sausage and that is the "Bomb" it doesn't get better than that

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com