What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
seatown76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 379
2010/02/13 16:32:44 (permalink)

What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs?

Hey all I picked up a package of Country Style Pork Ribs a couple of weeks ago at 78 cents a pound and now I don't know what to do with them for tomorrow as they are thawing now?

I am thinking something in the slow cooker but will go with any great ideas out there.

Thanks.

34 Replies Related Threads

KonaErnie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 356
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/13 22:26:29 (permalink)
    Country style ribs with kraut, mashed potatoes and applesauce. For a veggie maybe some sauteed green beans with garlic. 
    DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/13 22:29:12 (permalink)
    Char Sui if I had them. Pork fried rice follows.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10329
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/14 02:13:04 (permalink)
    seatown76

Hey all I picked up a package of Country Style Pork Ribs a couple of weeks ago at 78 cents a pound and now I don't know what to do with them for tomorrow as they are thawing now?

I am thinking something in the slow cooker but will go with any great ideas out there.

Thanks.

I think a Slowcooker/Crockpot is your best bet.  Trim excess fat, throw in the pot with some Onions, Garlic, maybe just a little bit of BBQ Sauce and/or some dry rib rub. Cook low & slo until the meat falls off the bone or cartlidge. Shred for sandwiches

A little bit of Liquid Smoke would work too.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/14 12:59:21
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/14 06:45:29 (permalink)
    In my crockpot with sauer kraut is my favorite way but my family loves these cooked on the grill. I dab on some BBQ sauce before I pull them off.
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/14 15:25:35 (permalink)
    I would save a couple of those ribs and throw them into my all-day Sunday gravy.
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/15 12:20:58 (permalink)
    Braise with onions, peppers, and spices til the meat falls apart and make pork tacos.
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/15 12:27:34 (permalink)
    Coca-Cola Braised Short Ribs with Pickled Red Onions

• PORK RIBS:
    • 8 lbs pork ribs
    • Salt and pepper
    • 2 liters of Coca-Cola
    • 1 gal chicken stock
    • PICKLED RED ONIONS:
    • 2 red onions, sliced
    • 1½ cups red wine vinegar
    • ¼ cup sugar
    • Water to cover

• PORK RIBS:
    • Season the ribs with salt and pepper. In a deep, lightly oiled roasting pan, sear the meat on high heat until golden brown. Remove the ribs from the pan and set aside.
    • With the pan still on high heat, pour 2 liters of Coke and reduce the liquid by ⅔. Add chicken stock and bring to boil.
    • Place meat back into the liquid, cover and put in a 400 degree oven for 2 hrs or until meat falls off the bone.
    • Remove from the oven and let rest, preferably overnight. When ready to serv, reheat in a 400 degree oven until hot.
    • Remove meat from the pan, place remaining sauce on stove top at medium heat and reduce until syrupy.
    • PICKLED RED ONIONS:
    • Place all ingredients in sauce pot, bring to a boil, and turn down to a simmer for 5 mins.
    • Take off flame and let cool. To make sharper add more vinegar; to make sweeter, add more sugar.
    • TO SERVE:
    • Place ribs over a bed of mashed potatoes and top with pickled red onions.

...Russ
    kilerclown
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/15 12:35:55 (permalink)
    I second the char sui...it takes a bit of time but is delicious.  Also could smoke them, Ive always had luck but some havent.  Grill them...or kababs.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/15 13:53:13 (permalink)
    Big_Ted
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/17 13:48:00 (permalink)
    I've done a lot with country ribs.  I've grilled them, smoked them, baked them, slow-cooked them with kraut.  Personally, I've found that using them for tacos is good, too. 

For me, it depends on the cut and who does it.  I've gotten country ribs with tiny, thin slivers of bone that go undetected until your chomping away and that's just dangerous.  There are certain places where I'll get my country ribs and other places where I will not no matter how cheap the sale. 

Some places actually give you ribs, or rib-like cuts with bone inside.  Other places give you a "bag o' meat" with large chunks mushed together in a vac-sealed bag.  It depends on the cut because some recipies are no good with chunks.
    wheels in the sky
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/17 15:53:29 (permalink)
    Place them in a roasting pan with two cans of stewed tomatoes, chopped garlic and a sliced onion.  Cook for 3 hours at 325. the meat will be fork tender. serve with rossito
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/20 12:53:11 (permalink)
    I like to cut some fresh onion, put in botton of "Turkey Roaster" apply Garlic powder, Paprika,and a bit of Mrs.Dash. lay Ribs on coarse cut onions. Pour one bottle of dark beer in pan. Seal tight with foil.. it really must be tight. Bake at 275 for 3hrs.. This is for about 4-5 lbs of rib. Fire grill.. as ribs come out of oven let rest a moment, then brush on honey, and the BBQ sauce you prefer. The honey thickens , the sauce sticks and gets a bit crispy.. Never any left overs.
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/20 12:54:38 (permalink)
    I must say Ribs and Kraut are another fave in my house.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/20 13:52:05 (permalink)
    Monterrey's asado is similar to the stewlike carne adovada of Texas and New Mexico. This version is from Mirador. 2 tbsp. lard
    2 1/2 lbs. "country style" pork ribs,
       boned, with meat cut into pieces about 11/2" x 3"
    Salt
    5 ancho chiles
    3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
    1 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and ground
    2 bay leaves
    1 wide strip orange zest

1. Melt lard in a 9" cazuela or a wide medium pan over medium heat. Spread pork out in cazuela or pan and generously season with salt. Cook pork until liquid evaporates and meat begins to brown, about 40 minutes, then continue cooking pork until golden brown all over, stirring and turning meat as necessary, 30–45 minutes more.
    2. Meanwhile, put chiles into a medium bowl, cover with hot water, and set aside to let soak until soft and pliable, about 30 minutes. Drain chiles, then remove and discard stems and seeds. Put chiles, garlic, cumin, and 1 cup of water into a blender and purée.
    3. Add chile sauce, 3 cups water, bay leaves, and orange zest to pork and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping any browned bits stuck to bottom of cazuela or pan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and braise until meat is very tender and sauce has thickened, 1 1/2-2 hours. Adjust seasonings. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving. Reserve some of the deep-orange fat resting on top of the stew to spoon over refried beans with "venom", if you like.

I use Country Ribs quite often these days as most other pork products are processed to death----esp. pork chops------if you like Mexican this one will as they say  " make ya want to slap yo mama".

Russ

claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 13:11:23 (permalink)
    Crock pot ribs
    5-6 lbs of country ribs
    2-3 large onions, sliced.
    1 can soda, not sugar free
    dry rub
    Barbecue sauce:
    onions & juice from crockpot 
    1/2 C Heinz chili sauce
    1/3 C light brown sugar
    juice from 2 lemons
    1-2 T Worchester sauce,
    1 t cayanne

Dry room temperature ribs with paper towels, pat on lots of dry rub, let sit 10 minutes.  Place onions in bottom of crockpot, top with ribs, gently pour soda around ribs.  Cook on low 7-9 hours, high 4-5 hours.  After ribs are tender, remove ribs to foil covered 1/2 sheet pan.  Put onions & juice from crockpot into sacue pan, bring to boil, reduce by 1/2, add rest of sauce ingredients.  Bring to boil, reduce to simmer until thickened, brush on ribs.  Broil ribs 3-4 from heat 4 minutes, turning once.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5158
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 13:22:06 (permalink)
    Clara, by "soda" do you mean some sort of cola?  Or something else?

Seatown, what did you wind up doing?

Brad
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 15:21:57 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

Clara, by "soda" do you mean some sort of cola?  Or something else?

Seatown, what did you wind up doing?

Brad

CLARA,
    What did you use for Dry Rub?
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 16:07:58 (permalink)
    Pigiron

I would save a couple of those ribs and throw them into my all-day Sunday gravy.

agreed!!!       brown them first then ad a little chicken stock to the pan to get all the brown bits of flavor then throw em in the Sunday sauce!!! talk about fall of the bone!!! I do it all the time with the country ribs I get from costco!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 17:53:04 (permalink)
    dannybotz

Pigiron

agreed!!!       brown them first then ad a little chicken stock to the pan to get all the brown bits of flavor then throw em in the Sunday sauce!!! talk about fall of the bone!!! I do it all the time with the country ribs I get from costco!!

What's your version of "Sunday Gravy"? In Italian familes, it's a tomato based sauce; in other families it's a Brown Gravy or a Thanksgiving type of gravy.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/02/28 20:18:06
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 18:03:40 (permalink)
    "Sunday gravy"  is a rich tomato sauce with different meats in it, cooked very slowlu  and  served over pasta.  It is Italian.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 21:16:03 (permalink)
    Sunday Gravy is a Misnomer. Actually Italian "Sunday Gravy" is a SAUCE! Here's the definition of GRAVY-  [size=4 font="arial unicode ms"]gra·vy    /ˈgreɪvi/ Show Spelled[grey-vee] Show IPA
    –noun,plural-vies. 1. The fat and juices that drip from cooking meat, often thickened, seasoned, flavored, etc., and used as a sauce for meat, potatoes, rice, etc.
    Gravy is made with the juices of meat with flour added.

Sauce is made from crushed, pureed, or otherwise reduced Fruits & Vegetables.

Not sure, but in Italy, they may call it Gravy or Sauce. The use of the words and the translation and use of the terms has been perpetuated primarily in the Northeast USA. The important point is weither you call it Sauce or Gravy----It's still pretty damn good!

Our first exposure to REAL Italian cooking occured in the mid 60's when we lived in a duplex house in Uniontown PA. We were 20 Somethings. The Italian 1st Generation family downstairs were in their 40's. Angie was a stay-at-home Mom and in the tradition, spent a good portion of her day cooking for her family. Sunday's were special. She would spend all day Saturday making "The Sauce" and other wonderful stuff. On Sunday, they would come home from Church, her husband would sit down in his athletic shirt underwear at the Dining room table, pour a waterglass of good Daigo Red and the feast would begin. Ghey had 2 daughters. Angie would begin serving and the Feast would go for HOURS. On several occasions, they invited us down.

Angie offered to teach my wife how to make "Sauce". So on a Monday Morming, my wife went upstairs with a 4 Qt Pot. Angie Said "No, NO! That won't work!" They got in the car and went downtown and bought a 25 Qt. Pot! 8-10 hours later, my wife came downstairs, exausted, with the Best Sauce- Gravy, what ever you want to call it----It was Fabulous!

catherine s
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/02/28 22:18:30 (permalink)
    Foodbme -

Uniontown PA is still a good and friendly place to live.
    Hospitality is still alive here.  Glad you remember your stay here.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/03/01 00:01:56 (permalink)
    You don't mind, do you, of Italian Amricans call what they make gravy?
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/03/01 00:15:24 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Pigiron

What's your version of "Sunday Gravy"? In Italian familes, it's a tomato based sauce; in other families it's a Brown Gravy or a Thanksgiving type of gravy.

Sunday Gravy is a tomato sauce with a lot of different meats and is simmered all day.  I grew up watching my Italian-American neighbors make this every weekend.  When I was teaching myself to cook, this was one of the things I made sure I got right.  I've never used a recipe, but recently I found one in Cook's Country that looks pretty dead-on to me.  Use quality canned San Marzano tomatoes if possible.  

Italian Sunday Gravy Serves 8 to 10
    Most sausage has enough seasoning to make extra salt unnecessary. The hearty sauce makes a meal when paired with 2 pounds of rigatoni, ziti, or penne.
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
    1 pound sweet Italian sausage 
    1 pound hot Italian sausage 
    2 onions , chopped medium
    12 garlic cloves, minced
    2 teaspoons dried oregano 
    1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste 
    1/2 cup dry red wine 
    1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained 
    1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce 
    2 pounds bone-in country-style spareribs , trimmed of excess fat
    1 1/2 pounds flank steak 
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil  
    Pepper 

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add sweet sausage and cook until well browned and fat begins to render, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate to drain, then place in slow-cooker insert. Repeat with hot sausage.
    2. Cook onions in sausage fat over medium heat until well browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook until paste begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in wine and simmer, scraping browned bits from pan bottom with wooden spoon, until wine is reduced, about 3 minutes. Transfer to slow-cooker insert and stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
    3. Submerge spareribs and flank steak in sauce in slow-cooker insert. Set slow cooker on low, cover, and cook until meat is tender, 8 to 10 hours. (Alternatively, cook on high for 4 to 5 hours.)
    4. About 30 minutes before serving, transfer sausages, ribs, and flank steak to baking sheet and set aside until cool enough to handle. Shred ribs and flank steak into small pieces, discarding excess fat and bones; slice sausages in half crosswise. Use wide spoon to skim fat off surface, then stir sausages and shredded meat back into sauce. Stir in basil and season with pepper. Serve. (Leftover gravy can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.)

post edited by Pigiron - 2010/03/01 00:41:56
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/06/19 14:58:43 (permalink)
    OK question again on the country style pork ribs...I want to grill them tomorrow, sorry smoking is not an option for me, but I need to know if I should cook them for a little while low and slow in the oven for a bit before toss them on the grill. I know they can be a bit tough if not given enough time.

Thanks for all the good advice the first time everyone! I like this cut because you can usually get them at a good price and a lot of them so it goes a long way with my family and friends!
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/06/19 15:46:22 (permalink)
    Ingredients
    • 5 pounds of short ribs, boneless are more expensive, but just as tasty. I use bone in. About 3 inches long, a butcher will happily cut for you.
    • 1 turkey roasting pan
    • 1 two liter coca cola
    • 1 cup of soy sauce
    • 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
    • salt and pepper
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees and put all of the ingredients in the roasting pan. Cover with foil, and cook for 3 hours. The longer you cook the more tender the short ribs, fall off the bone is my style! Enjoy.
    Tips and Ideas
    • Try it with Dr. Pepper
    • Add more soy sauce if you prefer a more savory flavor
    • A crock pot is a great tool for braising
    • Take a cup of the liquid after cooking and thicken with a mixture of water and dissolved flour or corn starch(1/4 cup), this is called a slurry. Stir mixture in liquid over medium heat, and watch you sauce thicken.
    I use this recipe and you could adapt for the 3.5lbs...Russ
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/06/19 17:29:32 (permalink)
    Sorry Russ this isn't for short ribs....it's for pork country style spare ribs and still I am looking for a way to at least put them on the grill!
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/06/19 18:00:14 (permalink)
    OK so I just put the country style pork  ribs in a brine and then will TRY and cook them over indirect heat tomorrow.

Anybody have any other suggestions?
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:What to do with 3.5#'s of Country Style Pork Ribs? 2010/06/20 12:14:44 (permalink)
    I salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic powder them to taste then dredge them in flour, let them sit for an hour then deep fry them.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1