The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What to do with Chipoltes?

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 11/13/04 11:41 AM (permalink)
I came across several cans of Chipoltes in Adobo Sauce and would like to make some kind of Barbeque Sauce with them ,any body got a favorite they would share?

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
    RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sun, 11/14/04 1:24 PM (permalink)
    Here you Go.

2Dogs Soon to be Famous BBQ Sauce

1 TBL olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 TBL minced garlic
    1 cup catsup
    1/4 cup malt vinegar
    1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
    3 TBL stout
    2 TBL unsulfured (light) molasses
    2 TBL tomato paste
    2 tsp. dry mustard
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/4 tsp. minced canned chipotle chilies
    1/4 tsp. ground Black pepper

Heat oil med. high heat
    Add onion & garlic & sauté until tender
    Add all remaining ingredients cover and simmer until thickened
    Stirring occasionally (about 25 minutes)

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
      RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Mon, 11/15/04 5:37 AM (permalink)
      You could mince the chipotles and add them to any homemade or bottled BBQ sauce. I add chipotle to mayonnaise as a sandwich spread and a hundred other uses. I like it especially on fish tacos and grilled potato salad. Chipotle makes a great additive to chili. Papaya chipotle sauce is great on quesadillas.

Just remember that when using canned chipotles, a little goes a long way!

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
        RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Fri, 12/31/04 12:40 PM (permalink)
        Mince 1/2 of one and add to the filling of a vegetable cheese quesadilla--wonderful.

Richard Brooks Alba

• Total Posts: 93
          RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Mon, 01/3/05 5:30 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by jellybear

I came across several cans of Chipoltes in Adobo Sauce and would like to make some kind of Barbeque Sauce with them ,any body got a favorite they would share?

Not knowing your heat tolerance, bbq preference, or cooking practice, it's awful hard to tell you much - I have made hybrid sauce from catchup, olive oil, vinegar, a few chipotles ['adobados' - in adobo sauce], and tequila. I made it fairly thin to begin with so that I could marinate a bunch of chicken thighs, then reduced the remaining sauce down until it was thick-saucy. This I brushed back onto the chicken and a test rack o' pork ribs [that had been dry-rubbed with my improvised spice mix]. The tiny bit of sauce that was still left got a squeeze of lime juice & a little more tequila, and was served at the table as 'Margarita-Q' sauce. (The hardcore bbq types weren't so crazy about my sauce, but the folks who like eating more than complaining seemed happy enough - none of the leftover meat [one of the few gatherings I attended where EVERYONE had brought meat] had my sauce on it....)
          Buen provecho,
          Richard
          Berkeley/SF, CA

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
            RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Mon, 01/3/05 5:51 PM (permalink)
            This doesn't answer your BBQ sauce question, but for what it's worth, my mom puts them in omlettes and my hubby puts them in chili (is that blasphemy?)- They are quite tangy, as I am sure you have found out!

dctourist

• Total Posts: 325
              RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Mon, 01/3/05 6:34 PM (permalink)
              They're also nice mixed into refried beans, or mashed into sweet potatoes with some cinnamon and butter. (For either one, you can just use the sauce if you like.)

Aleswench, the chili idea sounds fabulous! Who cares if it violates some canonical chili principle? I am about to go shopping for chili ingredients and I will definitely do that.

Emerald

• Total Posts: 27
                RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 12:23 AM (permalink)
                Yummmm, I'm getting hungry for a grilled chicken sandwich topped with chipotle mayonnaise & onion and leaf lettuce.....I add powdered chipotle to soup....
                Richard Brooks....you placed in parens [adobado in adobo] I once had Carne Adovado in New Mexico that was fabulous except that there was no bread to soak up the juice, just tortillas..what a waste. Are chipotles used in Carne Adovado? If not, what is adobado in adobo sauce? I've heard of adobo sauce in Filipino cooking but now I'm confused......

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                  RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 1:56 AM (permalink)
                  Forget the BBQ sauce. I think Rick Bayless uses them in mole sauce, but I don't have his cookbook with me right now so I can't post the recipe.

BT

RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 2:02 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Emerald

Yummmm, I'm getting hungry for a grilled chicken sandwich topped with chipotle mayonnaise & onion and leaf lettuce.....I add powdered chipotle to soup....
                    Richard Brooks....you placed in parens [adobado in adobo] I once had Carne Adovado in New Mexico that was fabulous except that there was no bread to soak up the juice, just tortillas..what a waste. Are chipotles used in Carne Adovado? If not, what is adobado in adobo sauce? I've heard of adobo sauce in Filipino cooking but now I'm confused......

In Mexican cooking, "adobado" seems to be a rather general term for "marinated", usually in a vinegar-containing marinade (as with Filipino "adobo"). Here's another example:

Pimentos Adobado

(Marinated Peppers)

1 Roasted red bell pepper cleaned

1 roasted yellow bell pepper cleaned

1 tsp sherry vinegar

5 cloves thin sliced garlic

½ bunch picked marjoram leaves

¼ c olive oil

Roast peppers by flame or by coating with oil and broiling the skins to a charred effect.

Peel by placing in a bowl and covering with plastic to" sweat" and remove skins and seeds.

Marinate in layers.

BT

RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 11:28 AM (permalink)
                      Here's Uglesich's Chipotle Mayonnaise Sauce (for serving over shrimp cake, they say, but I think it would have broader uses):

2 yellow bell peppers
                      4 cloves garlic
                      2 chipotle peppers from can of chipotles in adobado sauce
                      2 egg yokes
                      2 tsp salt
                      1/2 tsp black pepper
                      1/2 tsp cayenne
                      1 cup olive oil

Cut bell peppers in half and remove seeds. Roast in broiler until charred, then place in bowl covered with foil and let them sweat. When cool, peel them and place in blender with remaining ingredients except oil. Puree, slowly adding oil.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                        RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 12:24 PM (permalink)
                        I have about 3 cans of chipotles in adobo sauce right now, [img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/mex-grocer_1825_16539035[/img], right next to the pickled serrano peppers. [img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/mex-grocer_1828_13521011[/img]

Both are regulars in my grocery shopping list(s).

ericats

• Total Posts: 112
                          RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 1:15 PM (permalink)
                          When it comes to chipotles a little goes a long way so what I do when I use only a few from the can is to freeze the rest. I usually freeze them in groups of three so that they don't get wasted.

I noticed a lot of people like putting chipotles in mayo but you can also mix it with sour cream and some lime juice and make a really good "drizzle" for grilled chicken.

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
                            RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Sat, 01/15/05 1:24 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by dctourist

They're also nice mixed into refried beans, or mashed into sweet potatoes with some cinnamon and butter. (For either one, you can just use the sauce if you like.)

Aleswench, the chili idea sounds fabulous! Who cares if it violates some canonical chili principle? I am about to go shopping for chili ingredients and I will definitely do that.

How did it turn out??

I'm craving the spicy little things now...love the drizzle sauce idea too!

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                              RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Mon, 01/17/05 8:33 PM (permalink)
                              Wow, canned chipotles mixed in mayo! All over any nice fried piece of meat between two pieces of bread! What a great idea.
                              This website is like falling into culinary heaven!

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
                                RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Thu, 02/3/05 6:15 PM (permalink)
                                Chop up 1/2 canned chipotle in adobo and add to a vegetable or chicken filling for quesadillas--great!

ditz

• Total Posts: 13
                                  RE: What to do with Chipoltes? Thu, 02/10/05 7:33 PM (permalink)
                                  Whiz the whole can of chipotles en adobe in a blender, then put puree in tightly closed jar. it will keep good long time in refrigerator. Makes it an easy matter to add a tablespoon here or there to mayo, sauces, and other things already mentioned here. Chipotle mayo on smoked turkey is awesome.

Occasionally, when hungry and lazy, I open a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup just to fill the clamoring void immediately. A little pureed chipotle en adobe does marvelous things to Campbells ole noodle standby. Would be even better in noodle soup made from scratch. Puree is also good in canned tomato soup, but better in the noodle soup. Altho chipotle powders work, the pureed chiles add deeper flavor, imho. (P.S. Clean blender promptly and thoroughly to prevent residue from the chipotles.)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com