The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What to do with leftover Rib Roast?

BunnySlippers

• Total Posts: 126
What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:29 AM (permalink)
I hope y'all had a wonderful holiday! Well, it's the day after Christmas and I find myself with several pounds of leftover rare Standing Rib Roast, including the ribs, cooling its heels in the fridge. What do I do with the remians of this delicious meat?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Bunny

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
    RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:44 AM (permalink)
    roast beef hash w/ a poached egg

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
      RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:47 AM (permalink)
      Slice thin for sandwiches
      crack the bones for soup
      or
      pack it all in dry ice and Fedex it to me, i will take care of it for you :-)

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
        RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:47 AM (permalink)
        I'm with V960.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
          RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:49 AM (permalink)
          Shred it and make some killer enchiladas.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
            RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 12:00 PM (permalink)
            I also have alot of leftover rib roast. I'm going to make Philly cheese steaks!
            I will be using the bones to make soup or stew. Hope you all had a great holiday! Have a wonderful New Year!!
            David O.

seafarer john

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 12:30 PM (permalink)
              Leftover Beef Stroganoff: (serves 4)

Saute in butter, diced onion and mushrooms
              Add cubes of beef (2 or 3 cups), 1 tsp paparika, 2 C beef buillion, and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
              Stir in a roux of flour and water (1 Tblsp flour & 2 Tblsp water)
              Simmer 10 minutes
              Remove from heat and stir in salt pepper to taste and 1 C sour cream.

Serve on rice or egg noodles

cheers, John

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 12:47 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by BunnySlippers

I hope y'all had a wonderful holiday! Well, it's the day after Christmas and I find myself with several pounds of leftover rare Standing Rib Roast, including the ribs, cooling its heels in the fridge. What do I do with the remians of this delicious meat?

Bunny

Put in mouth. Chew.

marxbro

• Total Posts: 19
                  RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 12:54 PM (permalink)
                  I just made pasta meat sauce last night. We will be eating it tonight.

boyardee65

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 1:35 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Bunny

Put in mouth. Chew.
                    LOL David O.

Phildelmar

• Total Posts: 788
                      RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 1:44 PM (permalink)
                      I like to serve it the next day with a bearnaise sauce

gcw

• Total Posts: 44
                        RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:01 PM (permalink)
                        We had leftover prime rib tonight. We reheated the slices in the mic., just to warm them a little, and served it with leftover au jus. We still have leftover rib, so tomorrow it'll be French dip (beef dip) with a packaged au jus mix.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Tue, 12/26/06 11:49 PM (permalink)
                          I sometimes make an open faced sandwich-thinly sliced pieces of the prime rib on a slice of good heavy bread,a bit of horseradish sauce,and then I top it with slices of havarti cheese.Broil til bubbly.This is especially good with a nice bowl of soup.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                            RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 1:18 AM (permalink)
                            Beef Barely Soup ...made with the bones and the meat scraps.....

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                              RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 3:10 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by annpeeples

I sometimes make an open faced sandwich-thinly sliced pieces of the prime rib on a slice of good heavy bread,a bit of horseradish sauce,and then I top it with slices of havarti cheese.Broil til bubbly.This is especially good with a nice bowl of soup.
                              Thanks ann, i'll do this tonight!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 4:07 AM (permalink)
                                We always make Devilled Beef Bones, which I think my husband likes more than the roast.

1. Douse bones with Worcestershire sauce and rub a thin coat all over them.
                                2. Do the same with a hearty prepared mustard. We usually use a deli-style horseradish mustard.
                                3. Roll in fine dry unflavored bread crumbs. Sprinkle with black pepper.
                                4. Put in pan and bake in preheated 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until heated through and crumbs are crispy.
                                5. Serve and gnaw.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                  RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 6:38 AM (permalink)
                                  Left over rib roast? No problem! Invite me. Problem solved. I'll even wear my wolfslippers. Chow Jim

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                    RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 7:43 AM (permalink)

If you can slice it thinly enough, go for an open faced sandwich. Get a package of some good sauce mix. Knorr is works pretty well... Add mushrooms or green onion.
                                    Nuke the meat just enough to get warm and you're set.

I have seen some suggestions for cooking the meat to death in some sort of stew. It seems like an abuse to this fine cut of meat. That said, I know of a restaurant that would take what was left from the previous night's rib-eye and turn it into the most tender pot roast you ever tasted.

mark

boyardee65

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                      Don't forget to turn the power down on the microwave. Meat really doesn't like being re-heated this way but if you turn the power down it won't over cook the meat. I have re-heated steak in the mic. but I usually wrap the meat in a piece of lettuce to try to keep it moist. I had some roasted potatos left over too so I will be making a small batch of prime rib and roasted potato soup. For New Years Day it will be a pot of beans with leftover rib roast.

I wish you all a very happy and prosperous New Year!!!

David O.

Adjudicator

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Jimeats

Left over rib roast? No problem! Invite me. Problem solved. I'll even wear my wolfslippers. Chow Jim

Jim:

Please pick me up along the way.

Thanks -- Joe

BunnySlippers

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                          Thank you so much for the great ideas. You are truly the best! Y'all are all welcome anytime.

Bunny

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                                            RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Wed, 12/27/06 12:35 PM (permalink)
                                            If I'm fortunate enough to have slices at least 3/4" thick I like to season them and then sear each side on the grill or in the pan.

Brad

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                              • Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Fri, 12/29/06 12:42 AM (permalink)
                                              I prefer to reheat beef in some low sodium beef broth. The nukker just seems to kill the meat.

MikeS.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                                RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Fri, 12/29/06 1:14 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                MikeS. Posted - 12/29/2006 : 00:42:48
                                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                I prefer to reheat beef in some low sodium beef broth. The nukker just seems to kill the meat.

MikeS.

your right there Mike.......... Microwave /nukker will kill just about anything you put in it.
                                                Twenty years ago I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread but like the raven I said "never more"

This summer we did a complete remodel of our house and when we came to the kitchen I told our contractor to throw the damn thing out and no I'm not getting a new one.

Linda said she misses it but when I ask her why? she cant give me a good answer.

seafarer john

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Fri, 12/29/06 10:52 AM (permalink)
                                                  What's easier than the nuker to reheat an old cup of coffee?

Cheers, John

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                    RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Fri, 12/29/06 11:09 AM (permalink)
                                                    You could make a shepherd's pie if you have leftover mashed potatoes, too. Just don't use that damnable wallpaper paste instant mashed artificial potato wannabe stuff. Just use any baking dish, put your meat on the bottom, add a layer of onions and peppers and peas and/or corn or canned pork~n~beans, top with taters and bake at 350 F for about half an hour. Shepherds pies are usually made with leftover bird after Thanksgiving, but why should that stop you from using something else? I've also used sweet potatoes or pumpkin or other squash on top, and the only bad one I had was that KFC thing they advertise to death nowadays. To think that my first part time job was at a KFC, but that was back in the day the colonel was still a force.

If you want to just reheat it, pop it in a rice cooker with some broth on the bottom. 15 or 20 minutes should do if it's pre-cooked. Awesome, except cleaning the darn cooker after is a royal pain.

BunnySlippers

RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Fri, 12/29/06 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                                      Thanks again everyone! To follow up, I made hot roast beef sandwiches (with fresh mashed potatoes) with gravy (Boston Market from a jar - but not too bad) on Wednesday and yesterday I made a big pot of beef vegetable soup from the rib bones and last bits of meat. All's well that ends well!

Adjudicator

• Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                        RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Fri, 12/29/06 9:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

Thanks again everyone! To follow up, I made hot roast beef sandwiches (with fresh mashed potatoes) with gravy (Boston Market from a jar - but not too bad) on Wednesday and yesterday I made a big pot of beef vegetable soup from the rib bones and last bits of meat. All's well that ends well!

Until you get another roast! Sounds like it ended well, though.
                                                        Totally yummy.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                          • Location: Trevor, WI
                                                          RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Sun, 12/31/06 7:17 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by seafarer john
                                                          What's easier than the nuker to reheat an old cup of coffee?

Cheers, John

An immersion heater? Just don't do what I did with my first one and plug it in before it goes in the cup~o~cold~joe. I got mine at Walgreen's for $5.95 plus sales tax.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                                            • Joined: 11/17/2005
                                                            • Location: new york, NY
                                                            RE: What to do with leftover Rib Roast? Mon, 01/1/07 11:00 AM (permalink)
                                                            Cold roast beef sandwiches sliced thinly with mayo, blue cheese, arugula. Or hot, I would make Swiss Steak.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com