What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,?

Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2007/03/11 14:21:59 (permalink)

What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,?

Hello All,
I am amazed at the sandwiches I buy versus the ones I make at home.
I make a thinner sandwich, with less meat or other toppings than
the ones I get when I buy one for myself.
When I make one for someone, I am more generous with the food and
toppings, but it is still thinner as much as one that is bought.
Would you like a thinner sandwich if it meant a lower price at
food places?
Just wondering.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

13 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/11 15:06:50 (permalink)
    "Would you like a thinner sandwich if it meant a lower price at
    food places?"

The more real meat, the better (for typical cold-cuts only). I hope you were not referring to hamburgers or similar FF / chain places, etc. I like a ton 'o veggies on same also...
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/11 15:35:36 (permalink)
    The problem is we live in a super size society. There is no reason to make outlandish sandwiches other than to try to call attention or out do the other restaurants. Most equate value with size. For the little extra meat, extra fries, larger drink, etc. there is little savings in downsizing and the cost differential wouild be so negligible that people will opt for the super size whether they need it or not. McDonalds proves that every time with super size question or meal deal. The restaurants would probably lose money if they reduced the cost equal to the quantity because the labor and overhead would be the same per serving.

I believe in another thread about dieting I posted a web site that showed how the average serving has grown in the last 20 years. Here it is again.

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/portion/

I remember when in high school one standard McDonalds hamburger was enough for a meal. Now people only buy those for their pre-schoolers and I suspect they are considerably larger today.

At home I rarely make sandwiches anymore. I do remember growing up one slice of balogna was a sandwich.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/11 15:51:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

The problem is we live in a super size society. There is no reason to make outlandish sandwiches other than to try to call attention or out do the other restaurants. Most equate value with size. For the little extra meat, extra fries, larger drink, etc. there is little savings in downsizing and the cost differential wouild be so negligible that people will opt for the super size whether they need it or not. McDonalds proves that every time with super size question or meal deal. The restaurants would probably lose money if they reduced the cost equal to the quantity because the labor and overhead would be the same per serving.

I believe in another thread about dieting I posted a web site that showed how the average serving has grown in the last 20 years. Here it is again.

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/portion/

I remember when in high school one standard McDonalds hamburger was enough for a meal. Now people only buy those for their pre-schoolers and I suspect they are considerably larger today.

At home I rarely make sandwiches anymore. I do remember growing up one slice of balogna was a sandwich.

Double AMEN:

I never eat all that I buy or that is served. If I tried, I would totally float. My dog generally gets what is left and she certainly does not need it although she desires it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/11 15:55:58 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Yes!Davydd, I also remember when one slice of bologna was a sandwich.
    It is still my now.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    skylar0ne
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 473
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/11 16:34:23 (permalink)
    My sandwiches at home are thin. I use one slice of bologna or other lunchmeat, and one slice of cheese. Same with chicken salad, or other deli-type spreads. When I worked, I would sometimes get chicken salad sandwiches at a deli for lunch, and the chicken salad between the bread slices would be about an inch thick. At home, I spread a layer of chicken salad on the bread that would be measured in millimeters.

I know we're not really talking burgers here, but I also prefer a thinner patty on these.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/11 16:39:12 (permalink)
    hubster likes his sandwiches thick on kaiser or hoagie rolls
    so i usually take a slice and fold it in half and add tomato,lettuce
    and lots of hot peppers.
    whatever makes the man happy.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 02:18:54 (permalink)
    I like them thin and with the same quantity of veggies as meat. The only time I like the meat to be thick is if I have some really good thin-sliced roast beef -- then I pile the meat on.
    My lunchbox often contained the "one slice" baloney sandwich when I was a child, and it was topped with a thin layer of ketchup. I loved it then but now

Andrea
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 07:36:14 (permalink)
    I guess I would have to go with the thin sandwich,but piled high with lettuce,tomato,onion,etc..one slice cheese and a thin layer of meat.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 10:20:16 (permalink)
    I like a medium I guess, 3 or 4 pieces of thinly sliced cold cuts and 2 pieces of cheese. For a mini sub I'll use 2 slices of 2-4 types of meats and 2 kinds of cheese
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 10:35:13 (permalink)
    Being a big guy, I like my sandwiches to be loaded down with meat and cheese. And I usually have two of them!
    dbrandon
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 10:40:53 (permalink)
    The sandwich I made for lunch today includes 1/4 lb of deli roast beef, one slice of provolone, lettuce, tomato, mustard and some light mayo, and it's on a deli roll.

While I appreciate the concern for portion control, this is my lunch, and needs to keep me from snacking for about 6 hours, so under the circumstances a single slice of meat would simply not cut it. I believe there is a happy medium between a slice of baloney decorated with bread and one of those 16" overstuffed subs.

Dan B,
    who eats most of his daily calories at lunch.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 12:41:08 (permalink)
    Make mine a dagwood, and load that sucker up!

Meats, cheeses, lettuce, mater, onion, mayo..... NO PICKLES
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: What type of Sandwich do you make, thick or thin,? 2007/03/12 20:13:30 (permalink)
    Fessing up here. My favorite roadfood lunch(about 10:30 or 11:00 AM) is a Subway veggie delight run through the garden on a wholewheat bun, half sandwich mind you. I'm saving up to pig out for dinner.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1