What was in my purse/pocketbook?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7761
2011/06/02 00:22:28 (permalink)

What was in my purse/pocketbook?

We went to the Ballona Marsh today to take some more bird pictures. Within minutes of us parking and walking about 100 yards the car alarm went off.  Some B*ST**D broke in to my Explorer and stole my purse. 

I spent the rest of the day on the phone talking to foreigners who I can't seem to understand, visiting banks and making a report at the police station.

The front passenger door was unlocked and my purse that I had put on the floor in the back seat was gone.  The car was locked 3 minutes prior to that.

What was in my wallet besides my credit cards? We came home directly from the marsh which took all of 10 minutes. In that time they had made charges with all three of my credit cards at the two gas stations between there and here. Two $125 charges per card. We couldn't figure out how they could get that much gas, but someone told us that they probably bought cigarettes which they could sell.

After calling the charge card companies we did the police report and then on to Wells Fargo because they had my check cashing card. The B*ST**DS went to a Circle K and made two more $125 charges with my bank card! For me to use it at the bank I have to have a PIN number. I didn't know that it could be used at gas stations with only knowing my zipcode which they guessed as Marina del Rey only has one. That's when I realized that I had two other bank cards in my wallet.  I thought that they were only bank cards.  Nope, ATMs.  Terrific.

They also got my cellphone. I called Sprint and they made it useless and were happy to tell me that I had theft on it. I just had to go to the website and fill in the information. They're also thieves! Yeah they'll give me a new identical phone for a deductible of $100. Hell! I can buy a new improved phone for less.

A little while ago we learned how to erase and reprogram my garage door opener. I had a keychain opener in my purse. Tomorrow I'll be paying for a new drivers license.

I think my social security number was on my Blue Cross card so I had to call the credit reporting companies.  My bank gave me that nice hint.

I have no idea what it will cost to repair the Explorer door and lock, but inside my purse was my car key which has a computer chip in it.

That's $100 and another $125 to program it. Double that for the door remote.

Give me some ideas of what else I could have had in my wallet. There were things in there that I haven't used in years. I don't remember what they were!

Now I have to figure out what automatic checking account deductions I had.

I'm not happy.

I carried a screwdriver of my father's that he always carried.  I had business cards that probably won't be replaced.

My life is in shambles.  

35 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 04:34:09 (permalink)
    My heart goes out to you.....
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 08:17:18 (permalink)
    Oh Mar, That's awful!! I feel really bad for you. I sometimes think my life is in my purse!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 08:21:39 (permalink)
    I am so sorry to hear this. 

Besides the social security number on Blue Cross, did you also carry your Social Security card?  A Passport card?  A medical alert card or a voter registration card (that would be of no use to the thief, but still might need to be replaced)?
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2063
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 09:07:53 (permalink)
    .... They also got my cellphone. I called Sprint and they made it useless ....
          Sprint can use the GPS or triangulate the phone location and guide the police to the thief.      Sprint's security people love doing this.   Remember, with E-911, a cell phone has to be locatable for emergencies.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1980
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 09:40:51 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear, after living in LA for 6 years and being the victim of 3 auto burgels and a home invasion robbery at gun point, I am glad to live in podunk where I don't have to worry about that crap.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 10:20:48 (permalink)
    Thanks, everyone.  I realized while nolt being able to sleep that I had my camera SD cards in there with pictures I'll never see again. , a turgquoise key ring of my father's and a multimillion dollar little flashlight.  I also had this tiny German made manicure kit that I bought when in Switzerland.  I checked Ebay to replace it and it's now made in China.

Items that mean nothing to some one else and the world to me.

It's very depressing.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 10:41:35 (permalink)
    Losing a wallet, purse or phone are one of the worse things I can imagine as far as theft goes.  I feel for you regarding the issues.  A year from now, you will probably forget about it???  Maybe but I doubt it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 11:12:32 (permalink)
    Oh man. My deep sympathies.
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 11:30:51 (permalink)
    I get upset with my wife when she wants to leave her purse in the trunk. I would never think of leaving my wallet in the car.
    I'm sorry you have to go through this.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3435
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 17:12:14 (permalink)
    Well, that just sucks! I'm sorry that had to happen to you.

Things you might also have been carrying:
    library card (there was a thing on the news here recently where a guy's library card was used to check out thousands of dollars of books, which he had to pay for because he didn't report it stolen)
    store or hotel loyalty cards
    key cards for an office or other building
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6171
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 17:45:04 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about your problems...Balonna Marsh, Playa del Rey, no?
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/02 23:41:06 (permalink)
    Playa del Rey... Yes.

Jefferson Boulevard just west of Lincoln and a mile or two from home.

Store rewards cards... all of them.  No library card or social security card.

I spent 3 hours (almost to the minute) at the DMV this morning.  I now have a piece of paper that says I can drive.

Realized this afternoon that I had my backup medication in the purse pocket.  It was there for when I forget to take them and this morning I had the DMV on my mind and not my pills.

I have too many things on my mind to make this easy.

My mother is only worried that I had her home address and her Palm Springs address hanging from her keys.

Tomorrow I'll find out if I can write a check using my paper license for an ID.  Guess I could show them the police report.  I've never used checks for anything other than paying bills.  Hopefully my backup cards will arrive soon.

Lucky for me I had taken my pocket camera out of my purse and forgot to put it back.

I hope all that gas they purchased with my credit cards explodes with them in close proximity.  Am I bad?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 05:39:45 (permalink)
    When I take Mamaw Smith to Walmart, she always puts her purse in the buggy.  I continually warn her about doing that and she continually ignores me.  She is almost 90 and has a head of her own.  I hope she does not get ripped off but if she continues, it will happen.  There are thieves everywhere.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 09:00:58 (permalink)
    Marlene, Losing all that is a sinking feeling and a big pain in the A reconstructing it all.
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 10:24:12 (permalink)
    back in my youth(around 17/18) i saved all summer for a killer stereo system for my '78 trans am smokey and the bandit special edition(that was a mouth full, lol)
    it was a huge speaker box (dont think boom boom, back then it was all about ac/dc, nuggent, floyd, etc...)well, still is,  and a huge 1000 watt amp....
    the box barely fit into the back seat and the amp sat up on the rear deck for everyone to see my new toy, lol

i had just set everything in place temporarily to try it out, got it all hooked up and headed for the pool hall...
    i backed in at the window next to my favorite table, that way i could peek out the blinds every now and then to keep an eye on it....
    well, i peeked out, everything was fine, then i broke, and had a 3 or 4 ball run, walked over and peeked out again, and everything was gone !!
    it took them i figure 2 minutes to empty the car out(speakers/amp/stereo) and be gone !
    heck, it took me a good 10 minutes to wrestle that box into the back seat, to this day i cant figure out how they got it all out so fast....
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 11:36:12 (permalink)
    mar52

Playa del Rey... Yes.

Jefferson Boulevard just west of Lincoln and a mile or two from home.

Store rewards cards... all of them.  No library card or social security card.

I spent 3 hours (almost to the minute) at the DMV this morning.  I now have a piece of paper that says I can drive.

Realized this afternoon that I had my backup medication in the purse pocket.  It was there for when I forget to take them and this morning I had the DMV on my mind and not my pills.

I have too many things on my mind to make this easy.

My mother is only worried that I had her home address and her Palm Springs address hanging from her keys.

Tomorrow I'll find out if I can write a check using my paper license for an ID.  Guess I could show them the police report.  I've never used checks for anything other than paying bills.  Hopefully my backup cards will arrive soon.

Lucky for me I had taken my pocket camera out of my purse and forgot to put it back.

I hope all that gas they purchased with my credit cards explodes with them in close proximity.  Am I bad?

I'm sure you already know this but in any case Playa del Rey is becoming OVERRUN by the fine folks fron South Central LA, predators, one and all, day trippers, it was getting bad in the late 70's, so Lord knows the extent now. On a visit there to some friends place, 2 years ago, the residents are quite fearful for their safety. PdR being a straight shot from the hood down Century blvd. El Segundo is worse. A walk on the beach at night is a death wish.

post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/06/03 11:37:16
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 12:17:05 (permalink)
    You are so correct.  When I was a kid, going to "The Pits" was way better than just going to the beach.

Playa del Rey, Dockweiler Beach to be exact used to (and may still) have lots of cement rings on the beach which were used to build pit fires.  The best hot dogs ever were those at the end of a coat hanger held over one of those fires. The toasted marshmallows were even better.

Marina del Rey seems to be headed in that same direction unfortunately.  TGI Fridays was "asked" to move several years ago because of the noise and element it brought to the area.  They were probably lucky they did because the entire area where they were has been raised because of a new huge mega plan that this area does not need.

Backalleyburger:  I've had 3 (now 4) cars broken in to and 2 of my personal vehicles stolen.  It only takes them seconds.  Kind of like Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals... takes me a week.

My store vehicle was stolen twice and recovered both times.  It was a flat bed Toyota and both times came back looking a little different from when they stole it.  Painting the stakes black was interesting, but not as interesting as the black fenders replacing the white ones.

Most interesting was when someone was stealing that same Toyota one part at a time.  The rear lights, the head lights, the windshield wipers (really), the stake bed sections and finally the one which deemed it inoperable was the catalytic converter.

Somehow they screwed up "the brain" and it was at that time that it wasn't worth repairing.

That is why auto insurance is so much in the Los Angeles area.  Even though they've made it illegal, they still charge by the zip code in which you reside.

Now I'm being bombarded by the credit card and credit companies calling to sell me protection.  Yeah, right. Pay them $14.95 a month.  I'm unemployed, leeches!

If I sound jaded, I am.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 17:05:56 (permalink)
    mar52

You are so correct.  When I was a kid, going to "The Pits" was way better than just going to the beach.

Playa del Rey, Dockweiler Beach to be exact used to (and may still) have lots of cement rings on the beach which were used to build pit fires.  The best hot dogs ever were those at the end of a coat hanger held over one of those fires. The toasted marshmallows were even better.

Marina del Rey seems to be headed in that same direction unfortunately.  TGI Fridays was "asked" to move several years ago because of the noise and element it brought to the area.  They were probably lucky they did because the entire area where they were has been raised because of a new huge mega plan that this area does not need.

Backalleyburger:  I've had 3 (now 4) cars broken in to and 2 of my personal vehicles stolen.  It only takes them seconds.  Kind of like Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals... takes me a week.

My store vehicle was stolen twice and recovered both times.  It was a flat bed Toyota and both times came back looking a little different from when they stole it.  Painting the stakes black was interesting, but not as interesting as the black fenders replacing the white ones.

Most interesting was when someone was stealing that same Toyota one part at a time.  The rear lights, the head lights, the windshield wipers (really), the stake bed sections and finally the one which deemed it inoperable was the catalytic converter.

Somehow they screwed up "the brain" and it was at that time that it wasn't worth repairing.

That is why auto insurance is so much in the Los Angeles area.  Even though they've made it illegal, they still charge by the zip code in which you reside.

Now I'm being bombarded by the credit card and credit companies calling to sell me protection.  Yeah, right. Pay them $14.95 a month.  I'm unemployed, leeches!

If I sound jaded, I am.

You sound realistic, far from jaded. Rats are rats, lack of rat traps or a Welcome rats mat, usually works in favor of the rats!

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 17:52:55 (permalink)
    Well ,   there are thieves all over.  I have two dear friends  from  Canada  who,  a few years ago, were doing  hikes  of the  Presidential range  of  mountains in New Hampshire.  She  locked her purse in car and off they went on an all day hike.  When they returned they found that their vehicle  had been broken into  and that  her purse was taken.  The  state  trooper,  who came to investigate,  said that  it is  a well known  fact  that  people  parking  by  any  hiking  trails   are often the targets of being  robbed.  The  thieves sit in wait and watch the action of people getting out of their vehicles and can  watch  people  carefully hiding  their  purses  and  wallets  before they set off on a  hike.
    agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/03 19:52:25 (permalink)
    Mar, I very often leave my purse in my car, especially if I have a jacket on with pockets. Cell phone in one pocket, keys in the other and my check card & money in my back pocket. I have now stopped doing that because of what happened to you. So, thanks for letting us know, not only for the info but also for letting all of us give you some additional support even though it is via cyberspace
    post edited by agnesrob - 2011/06/04 07:31:57
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/04 15:35:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the support.    It's very unsettling knowing that these people know anything about me.  On my keyring was a memory stick where I backed up my computer.

I just spent over an hour at Infiniti waiting for my new key to be programmed.  I needed a new key and remote for the door.

They were very nice at Infiniti.  A large sign on the window states NO PERSONAL CHECKS.  But I have no credit cards... and my new license is only a piece of paper.  After asking the gentleman who writes up the tickets if they'd accept my check while showing him the police report and paper license he got someone who said that my check was okay.  When it got time to pay the.....   $418.01  for the key and remote they didn't even ask for ID.

I was lucky.  The 2003 Infinitis have computer chips in the keys.  They don't do that anymore, of course.

I think Greymo is right.  I believe a team got me.  One who saw us park and the other one who he/she called to say we were out of sight.

They are still trying to use the cards.  American Express called yesterday.  Now they're trying Internet shopping with my cards.  At least they've all been deactivated.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3710
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/04 16:45:00 (permalink)
    Mar,  I have not carried a purse in over 15 years.  When my  husband was confined to a wheelchair and I had to  lift him and out of the car, I realized how  open I was to a purse snatcher. 

From that time  on I made certain that  I wore something with pockets and  just kept a great little credit card  case with a  snap on it  in  a pocket.  It  contains a couple of credit cards,  my  drivers licence, medical and health information  and  a twenty dollar bill and  a couple of one dollar bills.
    I  have  a clear cosmetic case in the car for  pen,  pad of paper, comb and other needs.

I never have a purse to  leave behind  and  no one will be snatching  from  my  car or my person.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/04 17:05:22 (permalink)
    Mar

I feel for you, I have lost my wallet in the past and it is a horrible feeling.
    Replacing the lost cards or as you have found out not being able to replace some of the things.

I agree with you on the exploding cards
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/05 11:55:17 (permalink)
    Mar52 - I know exactly what you are going through and can sympathize, having gone through a similar experience myself, and what happened to a family friend. 

Maybe by retelling, it might help someone else -
    I had my purse stolen in a movie theater, as hundred times before I made the mistake of putting my purse in the empty seat next to me, which I figure some young boys must have sat behind me during the show and pulled it through the opening of the back of seat.  The theater manager was absolutely no help, when I asked if he or staff could check the waste baskets in the men's room, and I went through all the wastebaskets in the ladies room and lobby.  I was lucky, about a week later I got a call from a woman who had the same thing happen to her, and while she and her husband were searching a field behind the theater, she found my purse.  It was a good leather wallet and purse, so I figure young guys - everything including keys, and credit cards were intact, just the money was missing.

My brother took my Dad and his lady friend to the French Quarter where they sat and had a drink at a small outdoor cafe that featured a jazz trio.  When she reached down to get a couple bills for the tip jar, she noticed her purse was gone.   Thinking back over what happened, my brother recalled some type of altercation, or disturbance and we think maybe it was a con to distract everyone while the purse was taken.  It's a shame because this was an elderly woman's purse, medications, eyeglasses, a big expense to replace for an 85 yr. old retiree. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/05 13:21:39 (permalink)
    I think I'm going to now have a fanny pack for my outings.

I went to Sprint yesterday to see if I could upgrade my phone to a different model.

Sure I can... with another two year contract.  That won't happen.   The phones the advertise for $49 cost $300 without adding two more years and those new 4G whatever phones for $149 run $599!!!  Like that would really happen.

Interesting story about the movie theater and the altercation distraction...  a good lesson.  

We also went to the two gas stations where they immediately used the credit cards and went through all of the trash cans.  I wasn't lucky.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18258
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/05 14:00:31 (permalink)
    Ouch!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/06 09:31:01 (permalink)
    Just to let you all know there is some good in the world, my nephew left his wallet on the seat in a restaurant last week. Not much later, he realized he didn't have it and went back to that restaurant only to be told no one saw it or knew anything. Meanwhile a woman had picked the wallet up off the restaurant seat and drove 3 towns over to my nephews house to give it to his dad. She didn't trust just turning it in to the restaurant staff so she brought it herself. She refused any reward or even payment for gas, just wanted to do the right thing.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/06 12:00:45 (permalink)
    That is true... there are good people.  I've heard similar stories.

Today I go to AAA to replace that card.  They were closed Saturday.

I hope to see copies of books by The Sterns on the shelves there.  What a great venue! 
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:What was in my purse/pocketbook? 2011/06/06 16:10:06 (permalink)
    Someone told me a long time ago to make a photo copy of all cards (front and back) in my purse. That way at least you know what is gone and have the numbers to call. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1