What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school?

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7769
2011/09/20 16:32:44 (permalink)

What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school?

For five years until I got to work in the school cafeteria I had the exact same thing in my bagged lunch every single day.

It was a bologna sandwich on white bread with French's Mustard, a red Delicious apple and a nickel for a carton of milk.

That sandwich was wrapped up in waxed paper because no one ever heard of plastic bags.

I used to trade sandwiches with the other kids, my favorite being a butter and chocolate sprinkle (Hagels) sandwich from Yvonne who was from Holland.

28 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2358
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 16:53:52 (permalink)
    Peanut butter & Grape Jelly Sandwiches on Wonder Bread " Builds strong bodies 12 ways" I only got to 9........THis sandwich was on Wonder Bread, put into my Davy Crockett Lunch box next to my Davy Crockett Thermos. WE also had Bologna & White American cheese " Sliced fresh from the Deli" on Wonder Bread with Gulden's mustard.........We had to eat it all because kids were dying in China, If kids were dying, how the heck did they get so many people. I was to worried if I show look at the Nuclear flash or not, darn Russians.....
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10106
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 17:29:07 (permalink)
    Never Bagged it to School. Either came home for lunch or ate in the cafeteria.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 17:34:22 (permalink)
    My mother only bought the cheapest strawberry jam there was.  It had red gingham on the jar somewhere.  She didn't believe in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but at home she would stuff a celery stick with the peanut butter.

I'm now doing my best to have as many peanut butter and seedless blackberry jam sandwiches on Wonderbread as I can!
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 17:49:39 (permalink)
    I never took my lunch to school.  We always had to eat in the cafeteria so we'd get a balanced meal.
    Laserwolf
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 18:58:36 (permalink)
    I can think of only maybe one year I actually brought my lunch to school instead of eating what was provided. While in the sixth grade I used to bring an unopened Ramen Noodle cake with me every day to eat. I was the "weird" kid for a few days, but it actually ended up making me quite popular. It was the norm to eat them uncooked at my house, but apparently a lot of the other students had never tried them this way.

Actually, I ended up sharing it with one girl in particular every day who took a liking to it and she went from strongly disliking me (honestly not sure why... or can't remember) to being very friendly towards me. Her friends followed her lead, and since they were the "popular" kids I ended up having a rather pleasant school year. Can't think of a negative encounter I've had with another student or coworker since actually.
    post edited by Laserwolf - 2011/09/20 19:02:47
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 23:18:13 (permalink)
    'Do you bring lunch or walk to school?'  I believe this question was actually asked by a classmate and in any case it became a running joke throughout my school years...When I brought lunch it was always PBJ, sometimes an apple. I could never get mom to put soup in the thermos...

I started buying in Junior High, and frankly ate better. We actually had pretty good cafeteria food. The worst thing they served was a tie between SOS and hamburgers...seriously the government burger was awful..gray..dead..meat..with bits of rubber band and bone in it..bleccchh.
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/20 23:45:52 (permalink)
    mar52 
    I had the exact same thing in my bagged lunch every single day.
    That sandwich was wrapped up in waxed paper because no one ever heard of plastic bags. 

Sounds like our moms were cut from the same mold. I lived with my parents only from first grade through part of 7th when I moved back in with my Grandparents. My mom wasn't into mothering and I wasn't exactly on my parents priority list. Unless there was a volunteer mother's hot lunch on a friday that was around every 6 weeks, I got the very same thing every day. A cheap pressed ham product (Jamon Dulce to those of you that know what it is) on two slices of dry bread and a bananna that ranged from unedible green to almost black depending on the age of the bunch. The ham was usually bought on Sunday or Saturday and by mid week it smelled. She could care less. She refused to buy plastic bags and would only use wax paper or the cut rite wax bags. The school had an anti metal lunchbox rule due to kid's fighting with them so I had to take these plastic plaid colored insulated lunch bags b/c she wouldn't pack it in a brown bag. These bags reeked of absorbed smells so I spent much of elementary pitching my lunch after a few bites and never ate the bananna. A carton of milk came with tuition, so that many times was most of my lunch then.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1983
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 00:04:22 (permalink)
    Usually PB&J or cold cuts on wheat bread & some kind of fruit and a twinkie or cookies maybe once a week if I was lucky.
    Some times I got a thermos with soup or milk... sometimes I ate hot lunch.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 00:42:30 (permalink)
    You got a Twinkie?  I was so envious of the kids that had Hostess anything or bags of chips.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18268
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 08:11:58 (permalink)
    I never had a bagged lunch. From first grade through fifth grade I walked across the street from Church Street School in Hamden to a corner grocery for something to eat -- most often a sub, a lemon Frisbie pie and a Pepsi or X-Tra Cola. In Sixth grade I took a bus into downtown New Haven to eat at the Waldorf Cafeteria. Junior high's lunch was had at Red's Grocery -- hot dogs Red cooked in the back of the store. High School? George & Harry's, The Yankee Doodle, and an occasional sneak into Mory's.
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 13:42:25 (permalink)
    My grandmother would make me a Carl Buddig ham sandwich with mayo (still like the ham, can't stand the mayo anymore), a plastic sandwich bag full of chips, and a can of Dr. Pepper, wrapped in paper towels at the bottom of the paper lunch bag. Pretty much every day from first through at least 6th grade.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 14:08:15 (permalink)
    I was absolutely thrilled to get a Barbie lunch box, and probably had milk in the thermos, ham sandwiches on white bread and mayo, or cold cut selections which included salami (I'd pull out the peppercorn pieces), olive loaf (I'd pull out the olives), bologna, and luncheon meat.  I still love ham sandwiches today, but don't eat any of the others. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 14:42:20 (permalink)
    I still remember the "smell" inside those Thermos bottles.  Loved it when the school started selling nickel milk.

I also remember that the straws handed out with the milk carton were Sweetheart Straws.

I have no recollection of what lunch boxes I had.  I do remember one year they were made of vinyl and hardly lasted in to the semester.
    drummagick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/21 16:01:49 (permalink)
    DawnT

mar52 
    I had the exact same thing in my bagged lunch every single day.

Sounds like our moms were cut from the same mold. I lived with my parents only from first grade through part of 7th when I moved back in with my Grandparents. My mom wasn't into mothering and I wasn't exactly on my parents priority list. Unless there was a volunteer mother's hot lunch on a friday that was around every 6 weeks, I got the very same thing every day. A cheap pressed ham product (Jamon Dulce to those of you that know what it is) on two slices of dry bread and a bananna that ranged from unedible green to almost black depending on the age of the bunch. The ham was usually bought on Sunday or Saturday and by mid week it smelled. She could care less. She refused to buy plastic bags and would only use wax paper or the cut rite wax bags. The school had an anti metal lunchbox rule due to kid's fighting with them so I had to take these plastic plaid colored insulated lunch bags b/c she wouldn't pack it in a brown bag. These bags reeked of absorbed smells so I spent much of elementary pitching my lunch after a few bites and never ate the bananna. A carton of milk came with tuition, so that many times was most of my lunch then.

This is one of the most depressing stories I've ever read.  :(

My elementary school did not offer a lunch but did have a pot of hot soup every day (always Campbells
    Vegetable) and milk.  I cannot for the life of me remember what my lunches were except for tuna on buttered bread.  No minced veggies, no mayo.  I wouldn't eat tuna with mayo until I was in junior high school.

tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/22 06:14:38 (permalink)
    Either a bologna and ketchup sandwich or tuna fish with chips, hostess cake or some sort of desert, and a thermos of chocolate milk.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/22 10:01:15 (permalink)
    I ate in the cafeteria because we had pretty good food, grade school was in the 1950's and lunches were all scratch made by cooks and had a nice variety. There was no place else to go. Junior High  we were bused to another town so we ate in the cafeteria because bag lunches often got squished or lost on the bus trip. The only time I did bag lunches was my senior year because I worked in the language lab during the lunch hour. My mom was a great cook and I always had something pretty good that I shared with my lab partner. We were in the control room so lunch could be pretty elaborate and spread out. My mom always included her home made extra garlic dill pickles. My lab partner loved them so I would bring extra. Our Spanish teacher who was the main lab teacher would always tease us about the pickles and that they were so strong they would eat the varnish off the desk tops! My lab partner of 47 years ago and I are still good friends and we still laugh about our "mama pickles" and how wonderful they were. I tried to make them years ago but they weren't they same and unfortunately my mom died 34 years ago without sharing all those secrets or recipes.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/22 13:19:06 (permalink)
    usually
    PB & J or cold cuts sandwich with mayo and a slice of american cheese.
    A baggie with NEON orange cheese puffs.
    A Piece of fruit
    Sometimes a special treat (candy bar, carrot sticks or special snack)
    2 quarters for 2 milks
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/22 13:26:21 (permalink)
    I was lucky enough to be only 6 blocks away from home, so thats where I went for lunch, after they closed our cafeteria permenantly.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/22 13:51:39 (permalink)
    Mom usually made me a baloney and cheese sandwich, a chicken salad or tuna salad sandwich, a ham and cheese sandwich, PB& jelly sandwich, or a turkey and cheese sandwich.  I usually also got celery with  or without peanut butter or an apple or a bag of grapes.  If I was lucky I'd get a Hostess fruit pie or a Little Debbie snack.  I don't remember what beverage she put in the thermos of my "Hair Bear Bunch" lunchbox which still lurks at her house!  That was in Elementary School.  After that, I ate in the cafeteria.
    ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 971
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/23 08:18:12 (permalink)
    Tuna salad sandwich, liverwurst w/ketchup, sliced hard boiled egg w/mayo, PB&J, all on white bread.  Tastykake or Tastypie. 
    Everything was kept in a brown bag hanging with my coat in the "cloak room" no refrigeration.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/23 13:56:12 (permalink)
    We also survived keeping our lunches in the cloak room. 

Liverwurst was eaten in the home with mustard, but never at school.

Andy Zepeda used to give me the hot yellow peppers that were packed in his lunch.  I started liking spicy things early.
    kathy_in_wlsv
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/23 14:53:21 (permalink)
    I got a variety. From Kdg to mid 3rd grade it was home made jam sandwich on home made bread and a piece of  home grown fruit and nickel milk.. (in the little glass bottle)

2nd part of grade 3 we'd moved and went home for lunch.

4rth grade we went to a little catholic school that had the moms make our hot lunch and occasionally we had steak if a rancher had slaughtered a steer for us.. Wow.. about half the time I carried lunch  and mom would made strange things like cocoa sandwiches served with hot lemonade in my thermos. shudder.

Grade 5-10 I alternated buying or carrying depending on the options at school. Home made was nearly always boloney or tuna, with a banana or apple. In 5th grade (catholic school, after  that I was in public scjhool)  the 2nd semester we were required to go to Mass and take communion so we were served breakfast, a nasty nasty "oatmeal" that was served nekkid, no milk or sugar and had an odd peppery taste.
     after my dad died we got "free lunch" and were very obviously separated out  from the "buyers" who paid the whole 40 cents.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3444
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/23 15:22:14 (permalink)
    I pretty much never brought a lunch, because we were poor and on the school lunch program. It was a lot different then, with my lunch tickets being orange while everyone else's were blue...just in case it wasn't embarrassing enough to be a welfare kid, they wanted to make sure everyone around you knew it. Half the time I would skip lunch to avoid being mocked.

On the rare occasion I got to bring a lunch (I thought of it as a treat), it would almost always be PB&J (homemade jelly), an apple or pear (from the trees out back), and milk. The sandwiches were always wrapped in waxed paper, and the milk came in my sister's old thermos (the ones with the glass inside, god help you if you dropped it).
    ChrisOC
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 971
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/23 15:34:36 (permalink)
    Sometimes my lunch included a hard boiled egg, which I had to peel, and a little folded piece of wax paper with salt.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/25 08:03:30 (permalink)
    My lunch was a sandwich(sliced vienna sausage on white bread, miracle whip,lettuce or peanut butter with my grandma's grape jelly).  Cookies(peanut butter,sugar, chocolate chip,homemade,of course).  We bought milk( in a glass bottle, on Friday's we could purchase an orange drink). 
    ardee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/26 00:02:34 (permalink)
    During the 1953-1954 school year the lunch house at the elementary school I attended (Elm Grove) was closed so that a class from a neighboring school (Camp Creek) could use it as a classroom.  The schools in the area were experiencing an overcrowding problem due to a major federal construction project; this problem was solved by building a school about 4 times the size of the existing elementary schools in the district, which was able to handle the overflow from Buchanan, Camp Creek, Idaho, and Jasper schools.  This was completed by the fall of 1954, and the students sent to the new school had hot and cold running water and flush toilets, while the rest of us got by with the water pump in the school yards and the pit toilets.

Anyway, when I was taking my lunch, it would be a sandwich and fruit.  The sandwich would either be bologna and yellow mustard on white bread or peanut butter and jam or jelly on white bread. The jam or jelly would be either blackberry, raspberry, or elderberry and the fruit was either an apple, a banana, or an orange depending on availability.
    SeamusD
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/26 15:28:38 (permalink)
    felix4067 

and the milk came in my sister's old thermos (the ones with the glass inside, god help you if you dropped it).

Oh god, I dropped my mom's old glass lined Thermos on the way home from elementary school in first grade... I didn't realize it was glass inside until after it broke. I remember being very upset about it, but mom didn't lock me in the attic like I thought she would. I think she was surprised I hadn't broken it sooner, as I was not the most coordinated little boy.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:What was in your bagged lunch when you went to elementary or grammar school? 2011/09/26 20:17:13 (permalink)
    SeamusD Oh god, I dropped my mom's old glass lined Thermos on the way home from elementary school in first grade... I didn't realize it was glass inside until after it broke. I remember being very upset about it, but mom didn't lock me in the attic like I thought she would. I think she was surprised I hadn't broken it sooner, as I was not the most coordinated little boy.

When I was in high school, I came up with the idea of having a thermos of cold water next to my bed at night. Unfortunately, my mother, a school teacher, had a habit of breaking HER thermos. So she always ended up taking mine, and I had to buy a new one (not that she didn't reimburse me or anything like that).

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1