Hot!What was the greatest TV Show of all time?

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4233
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 16:25:02 (permalink)
wanderingjew

It's interesting how most of the senior citizens on the forum pick shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's as the greatest tv shows of all time.

One of my friends, a free lance writer heavily involved in the entertainment industry beleives otherwise. His thoughts  are that shows from the 50's and 60's were "forgetable garbage" and that the post  Reality show tv  (not the actual "reality" tv shows) of the past 15 years have actually produced the best tv shows of all time.

He is certainly correct as regards drama, e.g. The Sopranos, Justified, etc.  Comedy, however, is a different matter.  With the rare exception of a Seinfeld what presently passes for comedy is primarily smut and relentless sexual innuendo. 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm amused by smut and sex when used as a seasoning (c.f., Betty White's Sue Ann character in the MTM Show).  These days, however, it's served up as the entree itself - kinda like being served a steaming bowl of Bearnaise without the filet.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7920
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 16:44:29 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

wanderingjew

It's interesting how most of the senior citizens on the forum pick shows from the 50's, 60's and 70's as the greatest tv shows of all time.

One of my friends, a free lance writer heavily involved in the entertainment industry beleives otherwise. His thoughts  are that shows from the 50's and 60's were "forgetable garbage" and that the post  Reality show tv  (not the actual "reality" tv shows) of the past 15 years have actually produced the best tv shows of all time.

He is certainly correct as regards drama, e.g. The Sopranos, Justified, etc.  Comedy, however, is a different matter.  With the rare exception of a Seinfeld what presently passes for comedy is primarily smut and relentless sexual innuendo. 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm amused by smut and sex when used as a seasoning (c.f., Betty White's Sue Ann character in the MTM Show).  These days, however, it's served up as the entree itself - kinda like being served a steaming bowl of Bearnaise without the filet.

Seinfeld is hardly contemporary it's been off the air for almost 20 years. My coworkers have never even heard of the show. and those who have refer to it as the show "their parents used to watch"

A better example of a contemporary comedy would be Modern Family which will basically end up being a classic.

I personally enjoy watching TV shows from all eras even those that I consider before my time (the 1950's and 1960's.) Our conversation came about when my friend was interviewing one of the cast members of either "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or Charmed both shows enjoyed a good run but have been off the air for quite some time, I told him after watching a few shows I thought it was completely ridiculous and silly and tried to make an analogy to the 60's sitcom Green Acres which I also thought was ridiculous and silly. He said the difference between both shows is that "Charmed" or Buffy the Vampire Slayer (again I can't remember which show it was) actually has depth to it whereas "Green Acres" was just "utter crap"
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7052
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 16:57:27 (permalink)
I'm going to come out of the TV closet and admit that I am a fan of Everybody Loves Raymond.  The actors were all so talented.  I've seen the episodes over and over and still laugh.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10329
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 17:07:15 (permalink)
wanderingjew

How old is your friend?
Unless you actually LIVED during the 50's & early 60's it's hard to have an appreciation for what transpired then. Everything in Television was new, and had never been seen before so there was a certain magic that came with every new show. So we old timers remember those shows more vividly.
I think the 50's were actually "The Golden Decade" of the last century. Post WWII brought the rise of a whole new middle class of Americans and new products, jobs and career growth, housing starts & the birth of the suburbs, new entertainment and happiness in America.  All the new inventions and products. With the exception of the Korean War, there was relative peace in the world. I'm not expressing this well. maybe others who LIVED in that era can add to this. It was a good time to be on the planet.
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/06/26 17:08:38
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 17:44:14 (permalink)
Foodbme

wanderingjew

How old is your friend?
Unless you actually LIVED during the 50's & early 60's it's hard to have an appreciation for what transpired then. Everything in Television was new, and had never been seen before so there was a certain magic that came with every new show. So we old timers remember those shows more vividly.
I think the 50's were actually "The Golden Decade" of the last century. Post WWII brought the rise of a whole new middle class of Americans and new products, jobs and career growth, housing starts & the birth of the suburbs, new entertainment and happiness in America.  All the new inventions and products. With the exception of the Korean War, there was relative peace in the world. I'm not expressing this well. maybe others who LIVED in that era can add to this. It was a good time to be on the planet.

He's my age. 

However this is about perspective.  There are people around today who weren't around during the Revolutionary War, Civil War, etc (with the exception of Michael Hoffman) but can be discussed from a historical perspective  The quality of TV shows throughout the decades can also be discussed in the same way
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 19:43:13 (permalink)
wj
Yep, MH was around during the Revolutionary War and all the others!  I think he was one of the first ones to get off the boat in Plymouth. 
He tried to declare Gahanna as an Independent State but it didn't work out so very well and it became part of Ohio.
post edited by lleechef - 2014/06/26 19:47:18
ChrisOC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1024
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/26 20:06:47 (permalink)
One show I used to love as a kid was Ramar of the Jungle.  It was the story of Dr. Reynolds and his associates in Africa and India.  It aired from 1952 - 1954.  It was on around dinner time and very often my mother would call me to dinner in the middle of the show.  I mentioned this show often to Ms OC and she gave me the complete set on DVD.  I was amazed to watch them and see that each half hour episode consisted of twenty minutes of shots of Ramar and his buddies walking though the jungle and maybe ten minutes of plot.  How different things seemed when we were kids.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4233
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/27 09:00:53 (permalink)
Indeed, as TV was then a novelty, in retrospect we evaluate it not so much for quality of content as the way it made us feel at the time - a la Vie en Rose.

Rather than make the obvious analogy to our 'first time(s)', I'll simply share that I watched the original (1956/Raymond Burr) Godzilla the other night on TCM.  Let's just say that, even though it was exactly as I remembered it, its 'effect' was far greater on 8 y.o. Jimmy seeing it 'first run' at the Centre Theatre in Washington, PA than it was on me the other night.

But, it was exactly as I remembered it.  Evidently it, in 1956, had made an impression strong enough for me to recall it in startling detail 58 years later.  Would I watch it ever again?  No.  
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6398
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/27 17:14:59 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Unless you lived in the dawn of TV time, how would you know? It's all context to a great extent and I doubt any younger person today could understand the profound effects and impact TV brought on in a much more heightened extent. If you are younger you only see it in your limited context. You never felt it. Same issue goes on with sports.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13524
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/27 17:19:55 (permalink)
Roz and I watch Andy Griffin every night.  A very good feel good show and always teaches you something about how to behave.

Incidentally, I do not believe that this show is garbage.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/27 17:32:57 (permalink)
I too watch The Andy Griffith Show.  He always reminded me of my father who was kind and loving but stern when he had to be.....like the time I tried to run away from home!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/27 19:34:06 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Foodbme
wanderingjew

How old is your friend?

He's my age. 
However this is about perspective.  There are people around today who weren't around during the Revolutionary War, Civil War, etc (with the exception of Michael Hoffman) but can be discussed from a historical perspective  The quality of TV shows throughout the decades can also be discussed in the same way

I disagree my friend.
It's not about perspective, it's about experience and feelings.
Unless you experienced watching an I Love Lucy skit in B & W for the first time, you'll never get a "Perspective" of what that was like.
When a Confederate Cannonball landed 10 feet away from Private Hoffman during the Civil War, you'll never be able to get a perspective on how he felt as he cleaned up his britches.
You can try to be objective 40 years after the fact but if reality you can't because you weren't there.
If the World were truly objective and looked at things in perspective, there would never be wars!
Over the Centuries, ZILLIONS of people have died in wars, yet we still keep fighting them.
People "Your Age" have difficulty understanding and getting a perspective on what it was like back in the 50's to sit in front of a small screen B & W TV with a picture full of snow and laugh and enjoy a TV Show. But they did. New impressions are the most vivid impressions and us old farts have vivid impressions of TV shows that contained no swearing, no nudity, no explicit sex, no shooting and killing, perverts & psychopaths, no drugs or other social ills.
Naïve? Maybe, but it was entertaining to watch George Burns & Gracie Allen, Jack Benny and Groucho Marx without bringing all the worlds problems off the streets and into our homes every night. So my Perspective is that TV was better then.    
John B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/29 09:12:25 (permalink)
One of my favorites from the old days is "Amos and Andy." Truly a classic comedy.
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/30 08:45:08 (permalink)
John B

One of my favorites from the old days is "Amos and Andy." Truly a classic comedy.

Surprisingly, a number of full episodes are available on YouTube.
https://www.google.com/se...+youtube+full+episodes
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/30 17:02:42 (permalink)
Foodbme

wanderingjew
Foodbme
wanderingjew

How old is your friend?

He's my age. 

I disagree my friend.
Unless you experienced watching an I Love Lucy skit in B & W for the first time, you'll never get a "Perspective" of what that was like.
When a Confederate Cannonball landed 10 feet away from Private Hoffman during the Civil War, you'll never be able to get a perspective on how he felt as he cleaned up his britches.
You can try to be objective 40 years after the fact but if reality you can't because you weren't there.
If the World were truly objective and looked at things in perspective, there would never be wars!
Over the Centuries, ZILLIONS of people have died in wars, yet we still keep fighting them.
People "Your Age" have difficulty understanding and getting a perspective on what it was like back in the 50's to sit in front of a small screen B & W TV with a picture full of snow and laugh and enjoy a TV Show. But they did. New impressions are the most vivid impressions and us old farts have vivid impressions of TV shows that contained no swearing, no nudity, no explicit sex, no shooting and killing, perverts & psychopaths, no drugs or other social ills.
Naïve? Maybe, but it was entertaining to watch George Burns & Gracie Allen, Jack Benny and Groucho Marx without bringing all the worlds problems off the streets and into our homes every night. So my Perspective is that TV was better then.    

First of all you're preaching to the choir, second of all, if I were to use your logic, there wouldn't be any museums or historical sites  because  if you didn't get the perspective  by experiencing it first hand then there's no point in experiencing it at all. In addition,  I understand MH was a general in the Civil War, he was a private during the French Indian War
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18691
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/30 18:21:05 (permalink)
During the French and Indian War I was Aide-de-camp to Major Robert Rogers of Roger's Rangers. I died following service during our war of revolution. I was never a general, let alone around during the War of Northern Aggression.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/06/30 19:00:38 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

During the French and Indian War I was Aide-de-camp to Major Robert Rogers of Roger's Rangers. I died following service during our war of revolution. I was never a general, let alone around during the War of Northern Aggression.

So you're actually the ghost of MH ??!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/07/01 02:50:29 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew
Foodbme
wanderingjew

How old is your friend?

He's my age. 

I disagree my friend.

First of all you're preaching to the choir, second of all, if I were to use your logic, there wouldn't be any museums or historical sites  because  if you didn't get the perspective  by experiencing it first hand then there's no point in experiencing it at all. In addition,  I understand MH was a general in the Civil War, he was a private during the French Indian War

Your interpretation is erred my friend.
I never said you couldn't gain a perspective after the fact.
I said you can't get the SAME perspective after the fact as actually being there experiencing the feelings and emotions of real time events.
Having a Minor in History and having taught American History and coached the debate team at the high school level in Butler, PA my first year out of college, I fully appreciate the importance of those institutions, museums, historical sites, books, movies, recording, etc. that give us a perspective of the past.
It's just not the SAME perspective that MH had as he actually commanded his troops at the Battle of Waffle House verses IHOP!
Batter flying, syrup flowing, eggs flipping, coffee sloshing, waitresses pulling each others hair, grill cooks clashing spatulas-----You had to be there to experience it!
Actually, he scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, topped, diced, peppered AND capped the enemy with his brilliant strategy and tactics and a bottle of Ketchup!
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/07/06 14:20:04 (permalink)
The Simpsons...still on the air...In production much longer than Ed Sullivan, Bonanza, or Lucy
BackRhodes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 726
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/07/06 14:58:15 (permalink)
Foodbme
wanderingjew

How old is your friend?

The '50's were indeed a golden era, and also an era of change...

It took 30 to 60 seconds for an image to appear on the screen once you turned the TV on.

If the TV was not working correctly, a guy driving a pale green RCA van would COME TO OUR HOUSE with a "tube tester" and a stash of new tubes, and fix the TV.

Doctors made house calls

The 1955 Oldsmobile was the car the CHP feared the most, in terms of having the power to outrun the CHP (soft shifting hydromatic tranny)

You could tell the make of a car with your eyes closed, just by the sound

Fin's. baby, fins...all sorts of fins...and names we'll never see again: Packards, (Henry J) Kaisers, & Desoto's

But getting back on topic, the San Francisco Bay Area (one of the top 5 US media markets) had, like most areas, locally produced programs, and regional programs. Much of the talent were holdovers from movies & Vaudeville (such as Milton Berle). Some of the shows we watched include Brother Buzz, Marshall J, Davy & Goliath, Dick Stewart's Dance Party (way before Dick Clark), a franchise of Romper Room, Captian Satellite, Dialing For Dollars, and Bob Wilken's Creature Features produced mostly at KTVU-Oakland, and also in Sacto.

The SF Bay Area is where the 1st video tape machine was invented (Ampex 2" Quad Format) in Redwood City, where Ray Dolby was the team leader(also invented the Dolby sound noise reduction system for audio tape, still in use in movies)...

The Bay Area newscasts I feel were better than those of other major cities due to the news anchors (KGO-ABC-Ch7 was where "happy talk" on the news set was invented)... KPIX is still my favorite

The 1st "Radio Broadcast" was in San Jose by Charles Herrold...by "broadcast" I don't mean Marconni's wideband spark gap morse code signals, but rather frequency specific transmission with entertainment...Herrold, raised on a farm, coined the term Broadcast from the process of scattering crop seeds across a wide swath. http://bayarearadio.org/schneider/kqw.shtml

As mentioned above, it WAS an experimental time, which extended into the 60's when syndicated show's were more available as the big studio's down in Gollywood realized they better make money with TV productions to offset the diminishing movie theater revenues...

There were MANY other reasons why the 1950's was a golden age, but to enumerate them would be to digress...

PS...in our house, in the pre-remote control era, the child sitting closest to the TV was the conscripted "channel changer"...of the 12 available VHF channels (there is NO "channel 1") we got 2, 4, 5, 7, and 9...later, when UHF tv bands were made available, many more stations popped up. I remember the day KTVU-Channel 2 signed on for the first time...my father made sure we were home & tuned in...

It was doubly magical to those of us that work in broadcasting, et al, and yeah, to the younger folks it probably looks goofey & boring, and might not ever get the humor of Soupy Sales, Carol Burnett, or Rowan & Martin, or know that any woman that kisses one of the Cartwright boys was "the kiss of death".  Or know how to use a dial telephone, load a stack of 45's onto a turntable, or know what a skate key looks like...

I gotta go now...it's time for my dose of Vitameatavegamin   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZK2-Tfc84
post edited by BackRhodes - 2014/07/06 15:15:02
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:What was the greatest TV Show of all time? 2014/07/06 20:14:59 (permalink)
Foodbme
wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew
Foodbme
wanderingjew

How old is your friend?

He's my age. 

I disagree my friend.

Your interpretation is erred my friend.
I never said you couldn't gain a perspective after the fact.
I said you can't get the SAME perspective after the fact as actually being there experiencing the feelings and emotions of real time events.
Having a Minor in History and having taught American History and coached the debate team at the high school level in Butler, PA my first year out of college, I fully appreciate the importance of those institutions, museums, historical sites, books, movies, recording, etc. that give us a perspective of the past.
It's just not the SAME perspective that MH had as he actually commanded his troops at the Battle of Waffle House verses IHOP!
Batter flying, syrup flowing, eggs flipping, coffee sloshing, waitresses pulling each others hair, grill cooks clashing spatulas-----You had to be there to experience it!
Actually, he scattered, smothered, covered, chunked, topped, diced, peppered AND capped the enemy with his brilliant strategy and tactics and a bottle of Ketchup!

REGARDLESS of perspective if you were to find someone who has never watched TV a day in his or her life (yes these people do exist)and have them watch a variety of TV s shows throughout the decades and ask them to critique, they would be the best judges regarding the quality of shows. I know that many of the older folks will disagree but it's a reality that for a majority of ADULTS the 1950's and 1960's could be the 1850's and 1860's as far as they are concerned, they weren't born yet or were too young to remember. I'm 49 years old and I'm older than 90% of my coworkers, even my bosses' bosses' bosse's boss is younger than I am. I think that speaks volumes!
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1