Hot!What were the comfort foods your mom made?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1023
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 10:25:56 (permalink)
I don't really recall anything great my mother made. She'd usually start out with something that would probably have been good, but then she'd "experiment" and add something to it that made it turn out not as good. I always ate it though, whatever it was. Except for the one time she made homemade green pea soup and I threw up after a couple bites. She thought I was being dramatic when I said that I really didn't like it. Ha. Love it now though, go figure.

My mother's parents though, cooked us Sunday dinner every week. Usually roast beef, mashed potatoes, some kind of casserole, vegetables, and a salad to start. Once a month, ham or turkey, sometimes chicken. And my grandmother would sometimes make Shepard's pie, which was amazing. We all made fun of my grandfather because he'd cook the hell out of the roast beef, but I still on occasion cook a roast the same way because it takes me back. I can even make the gravy exactly as he did, so I don't care if the meat is a little dry.

Edit: One of the casseroles was zucchini and squash with cheddar cheese, I just made it last weekend as I was feeling nostalgic for it. Just zucchini and squash layered with cheddar, s&p, and baked at 400 for an hour or two. So good.
post edited by SeamusD - 2014/08/01 10:54:45
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10398
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 10:29:31 (permalink)
lleechef
I love city chicken!  Ours was with pork and veal.

I'm pretty sure ours was, too.  Always served with peas and apple sauce!
rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1067
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 11:01:47 (permalink)
BelleReve: You are clearly a person after my own heart.  I started eating the wings from the fried chicken when I was very small -- probably 4 or 5.  I loved them then; still do.  As I little kid, I referred to them as "little drumsticks," although I ate both parts of the wing.  When I was older (and had a greater capacity to eat more chicken), my mom would sometimes buy four extra wings at the butcher for me, but she would never fry just the wings. She said that frying all the parts from a whole chicken (including the back!) was essential to get the full flavor.  Sometimes she would fry two whole chickens in stages.  But we always had mashed potatoes and milk pan gravy and some kind of green vegetable (usually green beans) to accompany the meal, so it's not like it was ALL chicken.

When I go to Hollyhock Hill with an old friend when I am back in Indianapolis, I always (somewhat rudely) claim the wishbone from the family-style platter.  I love the wings and the other breast piece, too, but that wishbone is so special!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8071
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 11:50:10 (permalink)
Then there's my father.  He was from Poland.  He never went in to the kitchen unless he had the urge to cook a Polish meal.  His rolled cabbage in a sweet and sour sauce was devine. 

He made verenki which were like pierogies, filled with mashed potato, lots of pepper and fried onions.  Hard, dried sausage and sauerkraut with caraway seeds was also a favorite.

What I remember him making most was Cholent.  You'll have to look it up.   His involved short ribs, barley, noodle pudding and maybe beans.  I'm mixing it up with cassoulet which for some reason he also made.

He was also master of the grill.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 804
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 12:22:22 (permalink)
There was this steak, (round steak I think) and potato thing, made one of two ways one was a creamy sauce assume with Cream of Mushroom Soup and the there was a tomato type sauce kind that I think she got of a can of Hunts tomato paste. The best fried chicken anywhere. Chocolate Mayo cake. Chicken and Noodles with mashed potatoes. Indiana Chili (more of a soup and with spaghetti). There  are more, but right off it is these.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 13:31:26 (permalink)
Butterbeans and cornbread
Pound cake
Popovers
Stuffed porkchops
Mmmmm......
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 13:36:15 (permalink)
I had forgot about tuna noodle casserole, we rarely had it cause my mom and sister didnt like canned tuna (the new pouches make tuna SOOOOO much easier and better tasting).  Mom always used crushed ritz crackers on the top instead of potato chips.

Her desserts were:

Cream Puffs with homemade chocolate custard
carrot cake with cream cheese icing
Jewish apple cake
apple crumble/crisp

She would also make some durn good home made soups over the years. 

Her chicken was also the best, I have never gotten close to hers either even after watching her do it for all those years.

I really miss her.  BB Cherish those meals.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 14:53:02 (permalink)
I do my friend!  We have started something in the last year or so where every Wednesday,  I pick up my twin 17 year old nephews (one is 6' 3", the other is 6' 1") and we head to her place for dinner.  Needless to say, she makes a lot of food to feed three healthy appetites.

The rumor is next week she will be making turkey devonshires!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2014/08/01 14:54:23
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6442
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 15:46:58 (permalink)
What time is dinner!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 15:58:32 (permalink)
CK-
Whenever you show up!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7896
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 16:04:23 (permalink)
buffetbuster
CK-
Whenever you show up!

Better set a place for me too!
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 1729
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 18:38:03 (permalink)
Mom was born with a silver spoon in her mouth and a maid in the kitchen, so needless to say, post-maid, after my granpa died, the pickings were slim and the portions were small, unless Dad took over to burn the hell out of a steak. ( I do remember some 12-15 lb lobsters bought from some place over in Sandwich MA that had to be cooked in a roaster that were pretty good. Mom was into Herring roe, Sweetbreads and tripe which none of us kids would ever take, except for my sister. After 12 years of PB&J or tuna for lunch every schoolday, my memories of "home-cooking" are limited.

The one massive exception was codfish cakes and baked beans ( YAY on the former, bleh on the latter). About every third or so Sat night, especially in winter when Dad couldn't grill, we'd have them along with salad or store-bought cole-slaw.  Made with mash potatoes, dried, reconstituted cod, spices and fried in an old electric fry pan ( I still have and use on Thanksgiving and Christmas for sautéed whole pearl onions - another Mom+), they were delightful - crispy on the outside, soft and fragrant inners although I seem to remember liking the coating more.  Some 60+ years later I still remember them and have tried, in vain, to re-create them
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 22:03:26 (permalink)
Johnny Marzetti, otherwise known as chili mac - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Marzetti

Pot roast (chuck) with carrots, potatoes, celery, and onion

She also frequently made cottage ham with cubed potatoes, onions, and green beans all cooked in the same pot roast pan, later in my childhood she switched to a crock pot

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 23:03:00 (permalink)
TJ-
Never heard that called Johnny Marzetti before, but that really does sound like good comfort food.  Thanks for posting that.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 23:52:24 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Never heard that called Johnny Marzetti before, but that really does sound like good comfort food.  Thanks for posting that.

Cajunking mentioned it in his post yesterday

I don't think that I ever heard the dish named that way outside of my mom's kitchen until I read it in his post, although I've seen "chili mac" in a lot of places, including but not limited to the Hamburger Helper version. 

I had always wondered about the connection to the Marzetti brand, which I had previously known only as a maker of salad dressings including cole slaw dressing, until I read that wiki page.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/08/01 23:54:19
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7016
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/02 11:46:01 (permalink)
Johnny Marzetti is a daily special at least 2-3 times a week at Tommy's Diner in Columbus.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18641
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/02 14:07:18 (permalink)
That might be because Marzetti's was just a few blocks away.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/02 14:34:46 (permalink)

When I was young’ish in the 1970’s my mom made no “comfort foods”.  With her it was things like puffed rice cakes, carob, raw vegetables which she had scrubbed and washed in an acid bath, Muesli cereal (actually more like animal feed), and some concoction she tried to get us to drink which included orange juice, raw eggs, milk powder, brewers yeast and other unmentionables (thank you Adelle Davis).  I recall when “fruit leather” first hit the health food stores she brought some home ... we thought we had died and gone to heaven.  That didn’t last though. 

When I was an even younger kid though I do remember her making German specialties such as potato pancakes.  I guess that qualifies.  Other German specialties ended up in my lunch bag and these were things like liverwurst sandwiches or headcheese sandwiches.  These were not trade-able in the lunchroom for any other foodstuffs whatsoever.   As well, things like home-grown plums or Laughing Cow cheese cubes could *not* be traded for things like Ding-Dongs or Space Food Sticks.   Sad lonely childhood cafeteria.  A shonda.

Now my father on the other hand ... Every time he did the shopping it was a sort of little holiday when he came home with the groceries.  Italian bread & Italian cold cuts with real butter ... blocks of frozen coney island chili ... “Chunky” brand chocolate bars ... spaghetti & meatballs ... polenta with butter and grated cheese ... gnocchi with red sauce and sausage ... Lemon Ice ... sundae cones ... maybe a case of Towne Club pop.  It was a festival.
mountain traveler
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/03 02:03:16 (permalink)
spaghetti with meat sauce
macaroni salad
fried chicken
home made fudge

I wasn't born yet but my cousin said my mom made some really good home made french fries while they sang Christmas songs in July.
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/13 10:21:27 (permalink)
leethebard
I've talked a lot about this topic on other threads. My mom cooked from scratch every night, and many of them were depression dishes she learned from her Italian mom and Italian mother in law...cheap and filling and delicious. As I have frequently said we still make many of those. Some of the less familiar dishes (she also made the traditional lasagna, manicotti, homemade ravioli and pasta, etc etc...mostly for sunday dinner) was hotdog casserole, and spinach and potatoes. Hot dog casserole is simply hotdogs cut in one inch chunks (about 1 1/2 lbs) ,potatoes cut into two inch chunks (about four or five) two-3 large bell peppers also in two inch chunks all in a large lasagna casserole...add two or so large del monte sauces over the well stirred blend (or til all ingredients are completely covered with canned tomato sauce) , salt, pepper, a bit of garlic powder cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or so at 350. That's a traditional poor man's casserole that generations of my family has grown to love!!!! If you want others, boy do I have more.

I can use all such recipes that I can get, so yes, please do submit them. Really, I do mean it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1