Hot!What were the comfort foods your mom made?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 263
2014/07/30 14:52:17 (permalink)

What were the comfort foods your mom made?

(Or dad!  But, yes, it was mostly moms.)  And please share recipes, if you want to / have permission!

Mine did, among other things, chicken a la king, beef stew, sukiyaki (she's Japanese), macaroni and cheese (with Velveeta), broccoli rice casserole, beef and noodles, and lasagna (with cottage cheese instead of ricotta).

I am hoping to extract the recipes from her very soon - you know, while I still can. None of it is gourmet cuisine, but it's probably more important to me than anything else I'll ever eat.

49 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 15:04:56 (permalink)
    I've talked a lot about this topic on other threads. My mom cooked from scratch every night, and many of them were depression dishes she learned from her Italian mom and Italian mother in law...cheap and filling and delicious. As I have frequently said we still make many of those. Some of the less familiar dishes (she also made the traditional lasagna, manicotti, homemade ravioli and pasta, etc etc...mostly for sunday dinner) was hotdog casserole, and spinach and potatoes. Hot dog casserole is simply hotdogs cut in one inch chunks (about 1 1/2 lbs) ,potatoes cut into two inch chunks (about four or five) two-3 large bell peppers also in two inch chunks all in a large lasagna casserole...add two or so large del monte sauces over the well stirred blend (or til all ingredients are completely covered with canned tomato sauce) , salt, pepper, a bit of garlic powder cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or so at 350. That's a traditional poor man's casserole that generations of my family has grown to love!!!! If you want others, boy do I have more.
    post edited by leethebard - 2014/07/30 15:08:01
    ChrisOC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1021
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 15:14:39 (permalink)
    Chicken Pot Pie, the real PA Dutch kind where the pie dough goes into the pot.
    Lasagna with her home made meat sauce (and spaghetti)
    Creamed chicken over home made waffles
    Creamed chip beef over waffles.  That was for dinner by the way.
    Beef stew
    Soups...Mulligatawny, chicken/turkey noodle, slit pea with a ham bone
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 17:03:54 (permalink)
    The only thing comforting about the food my mother made was not having to eat it.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 18:41:56 (permalink)
    Alphabet noodle soup!  My mom made it with chunks of leftover pot roast. Alphabet noodles (bought in box as dried pasta) and some kind of tomato-infused broth. It was so wonderful, and the epitome of comfort food.

But it was one recipe we couldn't find after she died of cancer.

Ketteract, get those recipes NOW.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 18:54:05 (permalink)
    beef stew, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, New England boiled dinner, twice-stuffed potatoes, mac and cheese (also with Velveeta), scalloped potatoes, fried chicken, fresh snap beans, a variety of dried beans (red, Navy, large limas, Great Northerns) with rice, seafood gumbo 

Pot roast - she didn't really call it that, she'd just say she was "cooking a chuck roast."  It was wonderful, bone in, juicy and tender with a rich, brown, gravy, seems simple enough, but I can't duplicate it.  For one thing, I don't think any of the stores around here sell bone-in chuck roasts any more.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 20:46:55 (permalink)
    Egg nog from scratch.

Okay, it was only a few times during the holidays... but WOW was it comforting!

Mom's chicken soup and knaidlach (matzo balls) was something I always loved.

As for comfort, her lentil soup, matzo kugel or noodle kugel did it for me.
    post edited by mar52 - 2014/07/30 20:51:23
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/30 20:59:57 (permalink)
    Now my grandmother's tzimmes and knaidlach, well, that was a different story.
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 08:29:03 (permalink)
    rumaki

Ketteract, get those recipes NOW.

Yep - I sent her a preliminary e-mail with an enormous list, but we'll have a proper sit-down around the holidays and work all this out.  I actually had some of her recipes already, contained within an old Apple II program that she once used called "Recipe Box" (the process of retrieving the data from that ancient 5.25" disk is a story in itself).  

It's not just about the food, of course; it's partly about being able to replicate certain childhood memories and feelings that are all wrapped up in those recipes' very specific flavors.  And who knows if I'll ever be able to do them justice myself, but in a way, merely having the recipes is just as important!

post edited by Ketteract - 2014/07/31 08:37:41
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 09:16:56 (permalink)
    Pork roast and dumplings.  (with kraut, plum sauce)
    chicken broccoli casserole
    chicken noodle soup from scratch, including the noodles.
    kolaches of all kinds, nearly every saturday.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 09:50:49 (permalink)
    mar52
    Egg nog from scratch.

Okay, it was only a few times during the holidays... but WOW was it comforting!

Mom's chicken soup and knaidlach (matzo balls) was something I always loved.

As for comfort, her lentil soup, matzo kugel or noodle kugel did it for me.

And that's why you're more Jewish Nana from Brooklyn than California Girl
    rumaki
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 10:14:24 (permalink)
    BelleReve, I share you pain regarding arm/round bone chuck roasts.  I'm told that most grocery stores now get their beef pre-butchered, and those wonderful roasts we grew up with are no longer available.  When I first moved here to Minneapolis, I could get them at the upscale Lunds grocery chain, but no more. 

What I have been doing is buying them from family farmers/meat and poultry suppliers who come to our local farmers market on Saturdays.  They have wonderful eggs and chicken, too.  Not cheap, but really excellent.
    http://www.hilltoppasturesfamilyfarm.com/
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 11:11:44 (permalink)
    Mother's fried chicken!...She cooked it in an iron skillet with Crisco out of the can....I have the recipe, but have never been able to duplicate the taste. It was usually served with mashed potatoes and greens. Mom was from North Carolina and everything was seasoned with ham or bacon fat.
    Another comfort meal I remember was our family's regular Sunday, after church, pot roast dinner w/carrots onions potatoes and often, yellow squash fried with onions in bacon grease!.
    rumaki
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 11:21:41 (permalink)
    My mom's fried chicken was wonderful, too.  She cooked it in an iron skillet in my early childhood, but switched to an electric (NOT nonstick) frying pan later on. Always used Crisco.  I try to make it exactly as she did, but it doesn't taste the same -- although my husband loves it. I'm sure part of it is the chickens.  She never bought cut up chicken at a grocery store. She always got a whole chicken from a specialty butcher shop and cut it up herself. The breast meat was always cut into two parts -- one being a wishbone piece.  That's rare, these days, though Hollyhock Hill in Indianapolis still cuts up their chickens that way.

Ironically, my mom always said that HER fried chicken wasn't as good as HER mother's.  My maternal grandmother died when I was still pretty young, but I remember having her fried chicken once or twice at the family farm in Illinois. That was cooked in an iron skillet, and it was fantastic. But so was my mom's!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 11:27:15 (permalink)
    gnocchi Bolognese
    pasta e fagioli
    fried pumpkin flowers (summer only)
    pie, pie, pie and fried pies!
    banana nut cake (for my birthday)
    bread made every Saturday (never ate store bread till I went to college)

Those are just a few.  Everything she made was wonderful.
    post edited by lleechef - 2014/07/31 12:05:06
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4209
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 11:54:12 (permalink)
    My mother made the most wonderful potato salad.

Mrs. Metro got the recipe and still makes it wonderfully.

Some 'differentiations':  potato cubes cut to a max of 1/2", caraway seed, celery salt, eggs, sliced stuffed green olives, and yes - Miracle Whip!

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/07/31 11:55:15
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 13:08:28 (permalink)
    Chicken Tetrazini
    Chicken Ala Kess (her version of ala king)
    Johnny Marzetti
    Chicken & noodles over mashed potatoes
    baked mac & cheese
    Cheesy Potatoes (cubed taters, mayo, velveeta, bread crumbs and ???)

Hmmmm you think we were on the poor side, LOTS of chicken dishes and usually lots of ground beef recipes
    TooPhat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 16:07:36 (permalink)
    Tuna casserole - with potato chips
    Chicken and dumplings - dumplings were canned bisquits
    Fried potatoes
    Stuffed cabbage
    pineyhill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 18:21:06 (permalink)
    My Mom made a vegetable beef soup w/ dumplings that I always thought was fantastic.....
    ChrisOC
    • Total Posts : 1021
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 18:35:38 (permalink)
    TooPhat
    Tuna casserole - with potato chips
    Chicken and dumplings - dumplings were canned bisquits
    Fried potatoes
    Stuffed cabbage

WOW I forgot about tuna casserole with potato chips.  I used to love that when I was a kid.  I believe I have her recipe.  Thanks TooPhat!!!!! 
    badart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 18:41:26 (permalink)
    What is it with a mother's fried chicken, I've watched her make it for over 40 years and mine doesn't quite get there? Close, but never as good, even now at the age of 82 she can still make it better than me. 

I agree about the 'modern' chicken, we used to get it from our Fuller Brush Man who also raised chickens (seriously!). Never bought many brushes, but we bought a lot of chickens from the man! They were tiny compared to the turkey-sized chickens you get at the grocery store now. I actually prefer smaller pieces of chicken and it's damn near impossible to find them anymore. 
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 19:24:49 (permalink)
    rumaki - you are so right about those markets, we have a few during the week in different locations, in addition to one in a farming community about a 45 min drive I want to check out, even have a neighbor interested in taking the ride.      

My mom also bought whole chickens she cut up, and fried in an iron skillet.  She would cut out the wishbone piece of solid white meat that was hands off - her piece.  I had two older brothers with huge appetites and the family rule was that after the third piece, they had to eat the "trash pieces too" which were the backs and wings,  I like wings, don't consider them to be trash pieces at all.

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 20:41:53 (permalink)

:)  That's a good thing as Mom was from Brooklyn.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 20:47:18 (permalink)
    Mandel Broit!  (Biscoti)

Igglety Bigglety  (A rolled cookie (think strudel) filled with jam, raisins, coconut and walnuts

Aunt Clara's Sour Cream Coffee Cake which is any sour cream coffee cake.

And...  the best sugar cookies ever.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 21:08:21 (permalink)
    mar52

:)  That's a good thing as Mom was from Brooklyn.

My Mom was from Brooklyn too! 
    TooPhat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/07/31 21:36:00 (permalink)
    You're welcome ChrisOC! She still makes it once in a while, I still love it!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 02:39:53 (permalink)
    My mother was the worlds worst cook. I don't remember anything she made that was any good.
    Her sister and mother were great cooks so I enjoyed eating there.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 08:42:06 (permalink)
    Both my dad and mother were fine cooks.  My dad specialized in German dishes and I have yet to have Sauerbraten, German potato salad, etc. in a restaurant that was as good as his.  He also had some kind of magic with cheeseburgers too, and when he made them, usually on a Saturday afternoon, it was a big event.  I am fortunate that my 80 year old mother still cooks for me (and my nephews) once a week.  Even though she is not Eastern European and was raised in Kentucky, her best dish is beef stroganoff.  Other favorites in our house growing up were city chicken, stuffed pepper, meatloaf and liver & onions, always served with macaroni and cheese.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7027
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 10:18:47 (permalink)
    I love city chicken!  Ours was with pork and veal.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1601
    Re: What were the comfort foods your mom made? 2014/08/01 10:20:10 (permalink)
    My Mom was impervious to heat. On the hottest summer day (no air-conditioning back then) she'd think nothing of using the oven for hours on end to make dinner. I don't recall what my Dad thought of all this, but I remember even at a young age, coming home from playing ball all day, sweaty as all hell, and wanting nothing but a cold drink and maybe some ice cream, instead being confronted by a 102 degree kitchen and meat loaf for dinner.

On the other hand, one of my favorite comfort foods from when I was a kid was bologna on white toast with mustard. Mom would make it as a treat for me, usually on Saturday night. Sometimes the simplest things are the best. Curiously, I don't like bologna at all any more, haven't had it for years.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1