What will you be handing out for Halloween?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/22 18:50:34 (permalink)
My fondest memory as a child trick or treating... Along the route a lady handed out comic books.... I was always sure to go to her house along the way...

Recently I sold a few of those comic books... It was nice to see the $80.00 I recieved from them...
fdm813
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 114
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/22 18:57:00 (permalink)
Brussel Sprouts.........I haven't had a kid in a few years.
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2075
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 07:21:48 (permalink)
Since we live "in the woods" we rarely get any trick or treaters, but we usually get some candy in case. A few years ago, some friends' brought their trick or treater crew to our house and we didn't have anything, so we gave out apples and bananas. Now I get all the free candy I want from the office, so I'm able to use that for Halloween.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10475
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 07:56:12 (permalink)
I live too far out in the country to get very many trick-or-treaters. It is usually just my nephews and a few of their friends, who go out together. I used to dress up for handing out the candy, but it became too much effort for too few kids. The one year I was dressed as a giant bunny, but I could see that it just confused the really young ones. I heard one whisper, "Mommy, why is the Easter Bunny here on Halloween?"

As for the candy, something I like, too, because I always have plenty of leftovers!
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 08:28:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I heard one whisper, "Mommy, why is the Easter Bunny here on Halloween?"

I really confused the kiddies the year I dressed as Santa Claus.
Which, ironically, was one year early, since the Nightmare Before Christmas came out the next year.

oh, and I'll probably be giving out reese's peanut butter cups this year because my wife loves them, and then she can have the leftovers.
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 11:24:44 (permalink)
Nothing. I'm known as the scrooge of the block lol I hate kids traipsing through my garden. I spent years training mine not to and don't invite others to do so. Yes, yes, I know, mean. But I'm not a fan of other peoples children. At least I'm honest about it.

I also don't take my own kids trick or treating. We have a weenie roast, watch old b horror movies and eat banana splits.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 12:14:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BhamBabe

Nothing. I'm known as the scrooge of the block lol I hate kids traipsing through my garden. I spent years training mine not to and don't invite others to do so. Yes, yes, I know, mean. But I'm not a fan of other peoples children. At least I'm honest about it ...

"An ant is what it is, and a grasshopper is what it is, and Halloween, Sir, is a humbug"
Mitchell25418
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 12:42:42 (permalink)
Hey - remember getting gift certificates to McDonalds? That was the best!
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 14:09:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mitchell25418

Hey - remember getting gift certificates to McDonalds? That was the best!

yup. and yup.
but I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 14:38:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

We hit Costco for their halloween assortment of mini candies.

MikeS.

Me, too.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 18:11:11 (permalink)
I found Act II brand popcorn balls at Wal-Mart. Got a whole box of 24 for around $3.
When I lived in an apartment I use to always give out full size candy bars and the kids loved it. So one Halloween two little girls came to the door and I dropped several bars into their bag and one of them said "see, I told you she gave out good candy." So I guess it did pay off as kids do remember as we do remember what we got when we were small. My fav. was the homemade candy apples, popcorn balls, or bags of fresh popped corn.
I also like the idea of giving out juice boxes.
Happy Hallows Eve to Everyone
plb
  • Total Posts : 1037
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 18:26:13 (permalink)
I usually buy 5 or 6 packs of the full sized candy bars that I like the best (just in case there are leftovers) and sample one of each kind. The kids get to choose among those that are left. If we run out we turn off the lights and hide.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 19:17:49 (permalink)
Haven't chosen anything yet. I've been telling my husband "NO!" every trip to Costco the last two months since they put out their Halloween candy. If I'd bought it when he wanted to, I'd have bought 3 batches by now!! He wanted to do full-size candy bars, but I vetoed that too - we get about 120 kids each year - waaaay too expensive.
For years I bought halloween whistles, rings, superballs, glow bracelets, stickers, 'tattoos', etc. from a mail-order catalog. After the kids got over the initial shock of not getting candy, I'd hear, "Hey, Mom, look what that lady gave us." The next year I heard, "This is the house I told you about. They give out cool toys."
Didn't order early enough this year, so maybe it'll be Atomic Fire Balls (if I can find them), since the neighborhood family that traditionally gave those sold those house and moved this year.
Lexi
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/23 20:26:05 (permalink)
I grew up in a fairly tony area and we used to get driven over to the Marx estate - every kid got a Marx car. While I would have preferred something more 'girlie' it was pretty cool to get a toy. We also lived on the street with a guy who was a 7-Up bottler and we would get soda at that stop. We used to go out for hours and I recall filling at least two pillowcases with the loot. The ritual was to spread it over the entire dining room table and group it by type in a very compulsive way. My mom would get the black licorice, black jelly beans and Mary Janes and I would spot her an occasional Tootsie Roll if I was feeling generous.

We don't get many trick-or-treater's at my house but the ones that do make the trek are so damn cute. We generally go with mini size of the standard candies.
stephiegirl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/28 00:58:56 (permalink)
I take my kids out trick or treating so we don't pass out candy (the one year before kids that I did pass out candy we only got 1 kid so he got a bundle), but my mom gives out the full size candy bars. She didn't used to when we were younger and since she lived at the end of the street we wouldn't get too many trick or treaters. She has since decided that if kids are willing to make the trek down to her house she would make it worthwhile and give out the big stuff. When I am there, it is funny to see the same kids come year after year and know that they are going to get something special when they stop.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1565
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/29 15:14:35 (permalink)
quote:

Nothing. I'm known as the scrooge of the block lol I hate kids traipsing through my garden. I spent years training mine not to and don't invite others to do so. Yes, yes, I know, mean. But I'm not a fan of other peoples children. At least I'm honest about it.

I also don't take my own kids trick or treating. We have a weenie roast, watch old b horror movies and eat banana splits.

I would guess that the kids aren't a big fan of yours either, so it should work out pretty well.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/29 17:59:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fdm813

Brussel Sprouts.........I haven't had a kid in a few years.

"cajunking, marks his target for eggs and TP"

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/30 00:06:41 (permalink)
We're far enough out in the country not to get trick or treaters. When we lived in town, we gave out bubble gum, candy corn, suckers, mini candy bars, tootsie rolls, and jolly ranchers.

Andrea
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10353
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/30 00:15:43 (permalink)
I give out Free advice. "Hey kids, Don't eat candy. It Makes your teeth rot and makes you fat. Wanna a Beer??"
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/30 20:09:01 (permalink)
Just hear a feature on the radio that candy buying is up for Halloween. Like from $17 to $18 per household. They said the biggest thing this year is "Gummy Body Parts" (fingers, toes, eyeballs, etc.) The reporter asked someone on the street: "Ick, who wants gummy body parts?", and the reply was "Anyone under 15."

Also the reported that this year sexy costumes are trumping scary costumes. There is also an ad on for Halloween costume rentals at Abracadabra (a store that usually rents to the film industry)Now, there's a good idea: who wants witches hats, etc. hanging around after the Big Day!
BhamBabe
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 879
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 05:16:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by saps

quote:

I would guess that the kids aren't a big fan of yours either, so it should work out pretty well.

But they are! They all love to come to Miss Dee's house to play! But the ones that are allowed know the rules. What's wrong with rules? My kids have to follow the same ones and then some.

It's mostly the teenagers who come through in bunches of 5 or so, with no costume, toting big brown bags. They never use the sidewalks and are loud and rude, kicking your pumpkins over as they leave, throwing candy wrappers everywhere and picking my flowers. I just refuse to put up with it and post a sign NO CANDY and they don't even bother me. Course I can't decorate either, at least out front. They are the reason most folks here don't even bother taking their kids out.

It's funny how people perceive you as a meanie just because you demand that children are well mannered when they are on your property. A holiday shouldn't change that. I can promise you, in my neighborhood, if one of their kids did something they weren't suppose to, it would be everyones fault but the kids. I can also promise that if I had acted that way growing up Big Mama would have whooped my behind 7 ways to Sunday.
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 09:17:13 (permalink)
Hear Hear B Babe!!! I'm still in awe of my Mama and she's 84. Twenty years or so Mama had the "nerve" to correct a strangers child in public (try that today, well, she still will). The mother got upset that someone would interfere with her with her perfect little wonders freedom of expression. Mama apologised and said she was absolutly right. Told her it wasn't the childs fault her mother was irresponsible and that she was the one needed the butt whuppin'" />!
No unruly child ever stomped on her daisy's more than once. Yet when kids came over to our house when I was growing up, the odds were even they were coming to see her as me. She fed any and everbody and gave an ear, advice or an ass kickin' as needed.
Come Halloween I figured out as I grew up, she knew what her "regulars" favorite candy was and that's what they got. My house is on a US Hwy and I don't get kids here so I take her to my brothers suburb where she still give "1st place" prizes for the best costumes. They're all first place of course! I used to think that was pretty cheesy. I'm pretty stupid sometimes . Love your Mama's while you can everybody, there the only one your going to get! Give 'em a big sloppyand express that love often.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8650
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 09:35:26 (permalink)
I will be giving out an assortment of candy, but also hot wheels.My husband is a serious collector, and every year he goes thru them and picks a bunch to give out.The kids love us!
Pat T Hat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 09:37:53 (permalink)
Hotwheels...How Cool and Groovy is that!!!
xannie_01
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 16:50:42 (permalink)
i'm giving out pez dispensers.
now if i could only spell correctly.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 18:13:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

Love your Mama's while you can everybody, there the only one your going to get! Give 'em a big sloppyand express that love often.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Absolutely..
I miss my mamma... Its been almost 2 years since she passed....
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6524
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 20:31:55 (permalink)
I love hot wheels

wish i was closer to WI
Big Sausage
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 21:00:15 (permalink)
I'm giving out egg salad sandwich's wrapped with a blue Saran wrap.
cybele
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/10/31 21:09:47 (permalink)
I'll be giving out a pretty good assortment tonight:

Mostly full-sized sugar candy and a few full sized chocolate bars and some miniatures thrown in there with some lollipops.
pinetree
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: What will you be handing out for Halloween? 2006/11/01 13:01:48 (permalink)
Last night when I was out with my little boys, we were walking up to a spooky looking house, and a group of older middle school boys were leaving...they looked like they were up to no good, and they were muttering..."pencils...watch out for the pencils."

My three year old looked nervous...I think he thought a giant pencil was going to stab him. We went in. A withered hand reached out of the mist, and gave each boy a goodie bag that included...a pencil (which is what horrified the middle school kids) and a bag of halloween pretzels of all things...no candy. So my advice is if you don't want your mailbox blown up, don't hand out pencils. Stick with snickers bars.....its safer. And don't run out! Someone was handing out candy canes (obviously left over from Christmas last year)...but the three year old started to eat his right away.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1