The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 85
MammaKat44

• Total Posts: 4
Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Mon, 12/6/10 9:22 PM (permalink)
Without question, the best canned tomato soup I've eaten so far is Amy's Organic Soups Chunky Tomato Bisque available at Wal-Mart (organic tomato puree, organic diced tomatoes, organic cream, organic evaporated cane juice, organic onions, sea salt and spices).  It is light on salt and other spices although there is a slight zip that is well balanced with the tomatoes.  I enjoy this soup so much that this summer I didn't bother making my own and saved my tomatoes for sandwiches, salads and sauces.  **It's also a nice addition to chili.  It's between $2-$3 a can, but worth it.  Amy's Leek and Black Bean are okay, but not nearly as good. 
Amy's Organic Soups Chunky Tomato Bisque is currently my favorite canned soup.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7597
    Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Mon, 12/6/10 10:03 PM (permalink)
    Do boxes count?  Trader Joe's has a box of Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper that is fantastic.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
      Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 9:04 AM (permalink)
      Although it is not really canned soup, the Campbell's V8 soup in box is pretty good.  I found the Southwestern Corn very tasty. 

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 9:50 AM (permalink)
        I still like Campbells split pea w/ham( condensed) and love Pepperidge Farms. Their french onion soup is wonderful.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
          Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 12:32 PM (permalink)
          One can that I've loved for years is Campbell's Bean w/Bacon (condensed). That is winter comfort food. The split pea w/ham too. Both of these are probably ridiculously high sodium, but are good once or twice as a winter treat. I save one can of Bean w/Bacon for the first snow day when work is closed. A big bowl of that after shovelling the driveway, stairs and sidewalk is the best.

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
            Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 2:06 PM (permalink)
            I'm with Scorereader on the Campbell's Bean w/Bacon on a cold wintery day.  I also like a Habitant pea soup from Canada.  Reminds me to order some from the relatives up there.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
              Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 4:05 PM (permalink)
              I am also a Campbell's Bean w/ Bacon fan. Of coarse I always add some pickled jalapenos to mine.
              Joe

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 4:20 PM (permalink)
                My current favorite is Progresso Tomato Parmesan.  Very tasty, low carb, low sodium and a decent amount of fiber.

Pickled jalapenos...Hmmmmmm

PapaJoe8

Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Tue, 12/7/10 4:50 PM (permalink)
                  Joe, those pickled jalapenos go fine on a Pizza so... Hmmmmm. They might go well in your fav soup? I will try it when I can find a can. My local Brookshires doesn't have it. If you do it first please let us know.
                  Joe

DougS

• Total Posts: 475
                    Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 11:58 AM (permalink)
                    I feel for the people that have never had a can of Habitant Pea Soup. One of the best soups out there, and I believe it was bought out by Campbells.

Snow is coming down steady. I do think I will open a can and get out the crackers.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 12:34 PM (permalink)
                      I have found that I like the Campbell's Chunky NE Clam Chowder over Progresso's.  The Progresso chowder was too sweet.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                        Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 12:34 PM (permalink)
                        Campbell's bean with bacon here also.  I used to enjoy the Hiltons' brand oyster stew but can't find it here any longer.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 1:04 PM (permalink)
                          I believe one of our local specialty grocery stores carries Habitant pea soup. Will give it a try,DougS! And you guys are right, Campbells bean with bacon is good soup, too.
                          <message edited by annpeeples on Wed, 12/8/10 1:05 PM>

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                            Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 3:46 PM (permalink)
                            Michael Hoffman

When it comes to chowder, I think Doxee and Snows are hands down the very best.

I'll 2ed that on the Snows. Good chit.

helenth01

• Total Posts: 2
                              Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 10:53 PM (permalink)
                              This conversation is going no where. It’s lacking the place of a good leader to head the things to come out on conclusion.
                              ======================

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 11:07 PM (permalink)
                                helenth01

This conversation is going no where. It’s lacking the place of a good leader to head the things to come out on conclusion.
                                ======================

?????????????

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                  Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Wed, 12/8/10 11:20 PM (permalink)
                                  helenth01

======================

Ummmm....

I'm not sure a conclusion is required here. Please explain why you joined and replied; surely a dozen or so people tossing back and forth on canned soups for no purpose doesn't tick you off that much, does it?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
                                    Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                    Mosca

helenth01

======================

Ummmm....

I'm not sure a conclusion is required here. Please explain why you joined and replied; surely a dozen or so people tossing back and forth on canned soups for no purpose doesn't tick you off that much, does it?

This same person, helenth01, made a ridiculous post on another topic as well- Deep Fried Turkey.
                                    <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 12/9/10 12:17 AM>

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                                      Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 9:43 AM (permalink)
                                      I always liked Campbell's (condensed) Pepper Pot Soup. Unfortunately, since I was relegated to a gluten-free diet, I can no longer partake. Now, Progresso has many gluten-free soups, and I enjoy them when I don't have time to make my own soups. No "Pepper Pot", though.

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                        Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 9:49 AM (permalink)
                                        Phishmonger

I always liked Campbell's (condensed) Pepper Pot Soup. 
                                        My father's favorite. I kind of liked it until I learned of the tripe...

MacTAC

• Total Posts: 425
                                          Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

When it comes to chowder, I think Doxee and Snows are hands down the very best.
                                          I was working in this neighborhood back in the summer and saw this sign...

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                            Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 2:40 PM (permalink)
                                            I recently tried Snow's clam chowder I found at Big Lot, and I think it's even better than Campbell's, chunky bits of potato, you don't have to add milk to it.  If I have it, dill, with a pat of butter on top is just fine. 

PapaJoe8

Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 3:15 PM (permalink)
                                              Belle, you make me think we need a thread on how to fix up canned soups. You wanna start it? All I know is to add pickled jalopenos. But I like your idea for Snow's Clam Chowder better!!! :~)
                                              Joe

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2929
                                                Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Thu, 12/9/10 8:35 PM (permalink)
                                                Foodbme

Mosca

helenth01

======================

Ummmm....

This same person, helenth01, made a ridiculous post on another topic as well- Deep Fried Turkey.

Checking that one, I think it's pretty obvious it's a bot.

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                                                  Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Fri, 12/10/10 2:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  Snows is getting a lot of love!

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1496
                                                    • Location: west chester, PA
                                                    Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Fri, 12/10/10 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                                    let me preface by saying I mostly make my own....but then there's that night when time is tight or folks show up

As a brand...........progresso...........especially the low sodiums.  For Chowder (almsot always my own or "doctored")....Snows

Best all around Fun one.........Bookbinders Lobster Bisque............as a soup, made into a sauce for various things ..including mock lobster with sauteed mushrooms and onions served over split popovers..........even lightly ladeled over steak or tenderloin with a little garlic and sherry (or marsala) added to it

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                      • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Sat, 12/11/10 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                                      I like to doctor my clam chowder with either some fresh sweet corn or some smoked turkey.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7597
                                                        • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                        Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Sat, 12/11/10 5:59 PM (permalink)
                                                        I doctor my Snows with more clams, a pat of butter and a few drops of hot sauce.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1136
                                                          • Location: New Orleans, LA
                                                          Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Sun, 12/12/10 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                                          Good idea Papa John, but I think we could keep it here - everyone who lists their favorite canned soup - should just mention any "extras" they add to it.  I'd like to know about them - other than the clam chowder I mentioned earlier and dunking French bread into chicken noodle soup, I don't do much.  

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                                            • Location: New Milford, NJ
                                                            Re:What would be your pick for the best canned soup out there? Mon, 12/13/10 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                                            leethebard

helenth01

======================

?????????????

You are looking at a popular method of spamming a group; putting in some generic type message, and include a link to the spam site. Since new posters aren't allowed to include links, the result is as above.

BTW, I am very fond of Trader Joe's version of Cuban Black Bean Soup, and Progresso's Lentil Soup (the only lentil soup other than my own homemade that I eat). Progresso Chickarina is another favorite.

Bart

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 85

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com