What would you do.....?

Author
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
2012/03/26 09:38:12 (permalink)

What would you do.....?

As this is a world wide problem anymore, just interested in what you all do in this situation:
Your walking along, could be anywhere, you've established your path and making your way thru heavy foot traffic, other people are navigating the same, most are quite naturally zigging and zagging without loosing a step, then in front of you is one of the new clueless generation with his head firmly planted in that mobile device he has in his hand, still walking and totally oblivious to anyone around him or her.  Your paths are on a collision coarse and the clueless one has not looked up...what do you do?  Same for the reverse your following and the clueless one, he or she, suddenly stops...what do you do?

21 Replies Related Threads

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 09:52:41 (permalink)
    I would not even think about it. Young people do that with a mobile device. Older people are oblivious and stop dead with other things...like cameras. Tissues for old ladies.

Maybe the same lady that rolled her eyes at something you did in an oblivious manner when you were younger.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/03/26 09:54:55
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7032
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 13:20:29 (permalink)
    A world wide problem?  I have lived in Brussels, Paris, Anchorage AK, Boston, Palm Springs......etc....and have never had this problem.  It's not so "world wide".
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 13:23:43 (permalink)
    Seriously, whats the other choice, to plow into the guy ? I would just zig or zag, its not that big of a deal.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 13:35:11 (permalink)
    They could be in a paralyzed state of awe...on the streets of Bangkok.

That used to happen in Times Square in the 70s. That and my Mother almost putting my little eyes out when trying to cover them with long nails. See...the young people of a certain age back in those days...they were something. They really were.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/03/26 13:36:52
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 13:39:20 (permalink)
    I've never been in a crowd like that and don't want to be!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8086
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 15:16:46 (permalink)
    My worst crowd was Bourbon Street on Mardi Gras night.
    I didn't see one cell phone.

In your situation I'd just step aside.  Good to know that you're aware of your surrounding.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 15:54:51 (permalink)
    I'd holler, ""HEY!" as loud as I could and watch the shocked reaction and the frozen facial expression as they stop dead in their tracks and I gracefully walk around them. The eyes in the back of my head see them stare at me for a second, then turn, and continue on with their head buried in their electronic mesmerizer.
    SeamusD
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 16:10:00 (permalink)
    I have more of a problem walking into grocery stores, and having people in front of me stop dead in the doorway, instead of moving a few more feet in so they're not blocking the door while they bicker with their spouses about which way to go first.

I've never run into the OP's issue, but if I were paying attention I'd just move around them. In the grand scheme of things, it's not worth raising my blood pressure over. Besides, there are videos all over Youtube now of similar nudnicks walking into fountains, tripping and falling, etc., because they're not paying attention. Comic relief for me, bring it on!
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 16:54:28 (permalink)
    I try to avoid crowds that big...I live in a fairly sparse area, but when in town I've had to say "Heads Up !!! "  more than once to the clueless...

One time at a gas station a yound guy was done at the cash register, turned around and walked right into me (and I wasn't very close)...I said "don't walk into me, watch where you're going"...and of course he got all pissy and gave me hard looks...now I'm a fairly big guy and sometimes work as a body guard for musicians...you ain't gonna walk *through* me or push me aside...if somebody does it be accident that's ok and understandable...but if a jerk does it delibrately he  / she will be reminded of the manners expected...and if they start an altercation the handcuffs will come out...

If somebody does something by accident try to avoid conflict...if something is done on purpose stand up for yourself...

BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 16:58:49 (permalink)
    Folks wearing "hoodies" are the worst...if I can't dodge them I'll just stand still, and after they run into me they have such a surprised look of their mug...like "where did you come from?" kind of look...at which point I sometimes say "I hope you drive better than you walk"...
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 17:23:40 (permalink)
    Well, here in Georgia we have the "stand your ground" law. That combined with my concealed carry license means I'd just have to shoot him, I guess . : > ). pb
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 17:32:57 (permalink)
    I just got back from my first business trip to Bangkok.  I have traveled all over the world, but I think the sidewalks in Bangkok are some of the most difficult to navigate that I've ever encountered.  (OK, it was worse in Baku, Azerbaijan!)

Between the numerous sidewalk stalls, the broken up pavements in places, the ubiquitous construction, the pile-ups at streetcorners while dozens of people wait (sometimes in vain) to cross the street even with a crossing light because of the reckless driving of those in cars and especially motorcycles, and the sheer congestion due to the number of people -- it's overwhelming.

That said, I can't say I encountered any more young people oblivious to their surroundings because of their use of electronic devices there than I do on a daily basis on the University of Minnesota campus.

I'd get out of the way, myself.  Life's too short to have a confrontation.  As others have said, people get mesmerized by lots of things.  This is simply the latest iteration.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 19:21:28 (permalink)
    Handcuffs?
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3558
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 19:25:14 (permalink)
    SeamusD  Besides, there are videos all over Youtube now of similar nudnicks walking into fountains, tripping and falling, etc., because they're not paying attention. Comic relief for me, bring it on!

There's no video (which really makes me sad), but just a few days ago a woman walked off a pier into Lake Michigan while texting.

That said...yeah, just walk around them. They're no more obnoxious than anyone else of any age stopping for whatever inane (or unfathomable) reason, or not watching where they're walking. My mom always used to tell me, "Look in the direction you're walking". Apparently no one else's mom did. Of course, I have to move through crowds of idiots in order to make my living, so I've gotten pretty good at it.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 21:02:58 (permalink)
    A 19 year old girl happened to jump in the lake to help the 57 year old texting woman...who was a stranger.

Wait...the texting woman may be either 44 or 45. I know you should know better by 42.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/03/26 21:20:00
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/26 21:59:11 (permalink)
    CCinNJ
    Handcuffs?

Yes, handcuffs...if somebody gets belligerant and want to start a fight, the handcuffs come out, are deployed, and the a$$hole has an instant change in plans...as mentioned above, I'm a part time security bodyguard...and as I also said, if it's an accident, fine, it's an accident, we get up and dust ourselves off...and if not an accident, then it goes to whatever level the aggressor chooses to take it to...furtunately this is exceedingly rare...usually my large presence and a big smile is all I need to deal with people...
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1329
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/28 22:15:52 (permalink)
    Situation 1: I stop dead and stand still, saying, "Excuse me."
    Situation 2: I never get so close behind someone that if they stop dead, I will walk into them.

Bart
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/03/30 04:49:00 (permalink)
    BackRhodes

CCinNJ
    Handcuffs?

Yes, handcuffs...if somebody gets belligerant and want to start a fight, the handcuffs come out, are deployed, and the a$$hole has an instant change in plans...as mentioned above, I'm a part time security bodyguard...and as I also said, if it's an accident, fine, it's an accident, we get up and dust ourselves off...and if not an accident, then it goes to whatever level the aggressor chooses to take it to...furtunately this is exceedingly rare...usually my large presence and a big smile is all I need to deal with people...

At 6'5" and 350ish lbs I have the same option, although I rarely carry cuffs.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1739
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/04/01 23:14:07 (permalink)
    I guess I would take them for a day of grocery shopping with their grandparents and make them follow them down the aisle as they stop dead with the cart in the middle of the aisle, next to some stand-up "promo" while they read the prices and compare ingredients on 46 cans of diced tomatoes.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/04/01 23:56:22 (permalink)
    Harry...read this for me I forgot my reading glasses. HARRY...DID YOU FORGET YOUR HEARING AID? HARRY!

Sigh.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:What would you do.....? 2012/04/02 08:30:53 (permalink)
    RodBangkok

As this is a world wide problem anymore, just interested in what you all do in this situation:
    Your walking along, could be anywhere, you've established your path and making your way thru heavy foot traffic, other people are navigating the same, most are quite naturally zigging and zagging without loosing a step, then in front of you is one of the new clueless generation with his head firmly planted in that mobile device he has in his hand, still walking and totally oblivious to anyone around him or her.  Your paths are on a collision coarse and the clueless one has not looked up...what do you do?  Same for the reverse your following and the clueless one, he or she, suddenly stops...what do you do?

Really,  a worldwide problem?  

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1