What would you do?

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8067
2013/11/02 16:31:59 (permalink)

What would you do?

I live 8 minutes from LAX.

We were affected by the shooting at LAX most of the day. Lincoln Bl which is my major intersection was backed up all day because they closed it leading in to the airport. A lot of the other streets were also closed making traffic worse than usual.

Anyway... What would you do in a crowded airport if you heard gun shots and people screaming shooter?

Run? Drop? Hide?

We were thinking we'd drop but that keeps us in harms way. Running makes you a target.

Hope I never have to make that decision.

7 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/02 17:08:24 (permalink)
    I do too. LAX is bad enough under ideal conditions. If I possibly can, I'll fly out of Long Beach or John Wayne to avoid the craziness. Plus, I hate picking up people there-----it's a terrible place to drive through and find someone.
    I think drop is the correct answer. Hiding is great if you are lucky. Running--as you say, it makes you an attractive moving target. 
    I feel sorry for all the people whose lives and schedules were screwed up and especially for those he injured and killed. If you want to commit suicide (apparently he left a note) do it in a way that does not affect others.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18632
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/02 17:15:00 (permalink)
    Drop, try to locate the area where the shots are being fired, and then determine whether you should try to find a hiding place. Whatever you do, don't just remain still if the shooter is about to attack you. That's surrender, and you should never surrender your life.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3539
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/02 17:25:40 (permalink)
    I can sit here in my recliner and know exactly what I would do: Drop (ideally behind something), look around to determine where the shots are coming from, then get to a safer location (probably crawling to stay out of the line of site of the shooter).

However, it totally depends on who is around me. I was in a situation a few years ago where I was in a store in a strip mall and someone in the parking lot was having a shootout with the police. I immediately threw myself between the gunplay and the small child that was also in the store. I don't say this to make myself sound like some kind of hero, but because I know if I had been at LAX and had there been a child near me, I can virtually guarantee that's what would have happened again. If there were no kids, I honestly can't tell you what I would do...but I'd probably hide behind something, freeze, and wet my pants.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4194
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/02 17:39:28 (permalink)
    I'd take Vince Lombardi's advice:  run to daylight!
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1728
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/02 20:00:35 (permalink)
    Drop.under a bench seat if possible.......pull a table or set of chairs over.  It only happened to me once...in my early 20's at a parking lot after a concert.  Couldn't pull a car over me, but stayed low on a cple
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 576
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/03 15:01:53 (permalink)
    You drop if you can drop in a place that is out of site and that hides you.   But, keep in mind, mass shooters in the past have gone around person to person, killing them execution style while the victims lie on the ground in a dropped position.   So, if dropping doesn't hide you, then you run.   As hunters know, a running target is much more difficult to hit than a still target. 

Mass killers are cowards.  They go for the easiest victims.   People lying on the ground are easy targets if the killer is approaching.     Running targets are more difficult to ht.    

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2013/11/03 15:09:29
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    Re:What would you do? 2013/11/03 15:41:40 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

You drop if you can drop in a place that is out of site and that hides you.   But, keep in mind, mass shooters in the past have gone around person to person, killing them execution style while the victims lie on the ground in a dropped position.   So, if dropping doesn't hide you, then you run.   As hunters know, a running target is much more difficult to hit than a still target. 

Mass killers are cowards.  They go for the easiest victims.   People lying on the ground are easy targets if the killer is approaching.     Running targets are more difficult to ht.    

Glenn

Darn, I wish I could still sprint like when I was in high school!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1