What year was your father born?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3482
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/16 19:01:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scallion1

And I'd love to know why anyone would divulge personal info of any kind on the Net without knowing who wants it and why.

Primarily because it's not information that would do anyone any good if they had it. Now, if we'd been asked for our social security number or something, I'd have had an issue. How old I am? Meh. I'm politically active, there are easier ways to find out about me than using my dad's birth year and my age.
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1162
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/16 23:49:19 (permalink)
My dad was born in New Orleans in 1921 - has spent the last 3 weeks with an older brother in Houston as an evacuee from Katrina, grouchy, and opioninated as always, but finally getting the chance to go home on the 18th.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 12:36:01 (permalink)
My father was born in 1920, and I was born in 1969. I apologize to everyone for not replying sooner. I moved into my father's house to provide 24 hour care. I guess the day I posted I was exhausted both mentally and physically, and I didn't realize until looking at the post that it was not terribly specific, to say the least. I guess I was searching for empathy, but did it, (not intentionaly), in a way that caused quite a stir. I intended to add more information, but must have been distracted in some way or other. I hope this helps a little, and again I apologize to the forum.

Sincerely,
Jonathan
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15245
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 13:15:42 (permalink)
Jinjo,
Welcome back. Now that you're back perhaps you will tell us why you wanted this information? Is/Was it to compare with your data?

A side thought about the 'generation' spread. My step-father was about 50 when my younger brother was born. Mother was in her 40's then. My brother had a very difficult period in his teens because his father was in his 60's by the time brother reached his teen years. Now that I am in my 60's I have some empathy for what the generational differences are . I don't think I would want to spend my 60's raising a teen aged son !
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 13:35:24 (permalink)
On some days, I'm not so sure I want to spend my 40's raising teenaged boys. But, here I am....and on other days, I find myself regretting that the time is going so quickly. (one is ALMOST 18! as he reminds me on a daily basis )
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 14:48:34 (permalink)
I guess I wanted to find out if anyone on the forum has ever experienced moving back in with elderly parents to take care of them for senile dementia, short term memory loss 24/7, and had at least a 50 year age difference between the parents and children.

Jonathan
jlobough
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 94
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 15:14:00 (permalink)
Jonathan,

I think as the years go on, many of us will go through the experience you're going through right now (if we haven't already). I can't imagine what you're going through (I only have about a 25 year age difference with my parents) and I hope you're doing ok along with your dad, but I'm glad to see that you felt you can come here and ask such questions. Even as an "off-topic" subject, it got a great deal of response on the forum. There are good people here who shared some good stories about their parents and it's likely people can answer your questions better than I can. On topic or off, this is a friendly community IMHO and I'm glad you shared your situation. Good luck.

John
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 16:20:09 (permalink)
My Dad was born in 1938, in Germany. I am 36.
as far as age by major event I would say other than Man on the moon, probably America's Bicentennial. I believe that was the first time I realized things exsisted outside of the neighborhood I lived in.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15245
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 17:13:23 (permalink)

Jinjo
I had the feeling that that was your reasoning. I guess I was lucky. My Mom lived well into her 90's She passed away last winter, but lived an active life right up to the last few days. She had chosen an Independent Living Center near my Sister in Oregon to spend those last few years after 60+ years in SoCal. Other than shopping and medical trips she didn't require any particular special care from us kids over the last 14 years since my step-father passed away.However We did lots of things together. Especially our summer roadtrips each year from 1993 to 2000 always included her for at least half of the journey. We would drive East to see my Kids here in Indiana and She would fly in to join us...then off we would go around the country. We often spent 4-6 weeks on the road, the three of us going places that she and we had read of but not visited. Neither my brother or my sister inherited that type of wanderlust that I got from Her and my Father somehow. In one of our last conversations on the phone before she passed away she told me that she could never thank me enough for sharing those summer trips with her. Her friends were always telling her how lucky she was to be able to go and see everything she wanted to see with her Son!! I will never forget the feelings that gave to me.
When you have a 'down-moment' and the situation is wearing on you a bit, remember the good times you enjoyed over the years with your Dad. It will surely help ease the burden you may feel now.
Best Wishes,
AL
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 18:13:51 (permalink)
to Al the Mayor,
you're so fortunate to have your mom around (and healthy) as long as you did........

that's certainly what we'd all desire--------to have loved ones live at least into their 90's and hopefully just die of natural causes in their sleep...

My thoughts are with you, Jonathon.......my great buddy, Arnie (he's 50), just lost his mom the other week ....she had Alzheimers for the last 15 years, and it was so sad to see her progressive deterioration......espescially the last years when she was only a shell of her former self (did not even recognize anyone, etc.)

and my parents just both died within the last 5 years . My mom was much too young... a very young 65, but she got the "big C", cancer, all of a sudden, pancreatic cancer, and 6 months later , that was it.

she was so bubbly, just like me..

like al the mayor said, we're glad you felt comfortable posting here Jonathon.....and apparently , I do, too..

this "off food and lighter fare" topic is fast becoming one of my favorite forums on roadfood...

recently, I've shared in discussions about everything from Katrina to Jon Bon Jovi ! and of course, the deepest conversation, our own parents...

take care from ellen
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2980
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/28 22:55:27 (permalink)
My 77 year old father moved in with us 7 years ago. He's ok, still very active, but it can be tough sometimes. He'll leave faucets running, the refrigerator door open, stuff like that. once he set a wet newspaper on top of a lampshade to dry it out and almost burned the house down when he forgot about it.

This is a guy who drives 30000 miles a year to bridge tournaments all over the country. So it's not that he's not still sharp, it's that he's sharp in some ways and not others. He's changing from elderly to old.

Tom
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/29 00:33:35 (permalink)
Thank you all.
I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear from you kind folk.
When I get some free time I would like to tell you about my father.

Jonathan
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/29 09:22:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

My 77 year old father moved in with us 7 years ago. He's ok, still very active, but it can be tough sometimes. He'll leave faucets running, the refrigerator door open, stuff like that. once he set a wet newspaper on top of a lampshade to dry it out and almost burned the house down when he forgot about it.

This is a guy who drives 30000 miles a year to bridge tournaments all over the country. So it's not that he's not still sharp, it's that he's sharp in some ways and not others. He's changing from elderly to old.

Tom
Don't blame it all on age!! My youngest daughters fiance is just as bad. He is intelligent, maintaining good grades in collage while holding down a full time job as asst.mang at mickie d's, however............ He's on his 5th cellphone of the yr because he loses them, 3rd set of car keys in 6months, he's left his atm card in the atm at least 6times, gotten out of the shower to answer the phone then got dressed and went to work, leaving the shower running, left bags of ice in the car at least twice...sometimes I wonder how he remembers to breath
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/29 17:07:12 (permalink)
Jonathan - I'd like to share with you what I learned watching my Mom take excellent, loving care of both my Grandmothers during what should have been the 1st 4 years of Mom's well-earned retirement.

Please, please, please, find yourself good respite-care for Dad so that you can take a break once in a while. Caregiver burnout is very real. At the outset, you may tend to be in the "I'm going to do it all myself. It's my duty and I'll never turn Dad's care over to strangers" mode. This is loving and noble, but not realistic. If you don't rest up and rejuvenate, you'll be no good to Dad. Your patience will suffer and you'll need it more than you might think.
A caregiver support group can be helpful, too. People who haven't provided this level of care don't understand how much it takes out of you. The people from the group will.

Bless you for looking after your Dad. It's a difficult role-reversal for the child to care for a parent who is becoming like a child. I filled in occasionally to give Mom a break, but that was nothing compared to what she did everyday. I hope I'll have the strength and patience to do for my folks, if the time comes, as Mom did for my Grandmothers.

With admiration,
Peggy
Kaileen
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/29 19:52:16 (permalink)
My dad was born in 1945, and I was born in 1964.

However, I was raised by my grandparents, so my grandpa was born in 1918. My granny died in 1985, and I left college after fall 1986 to take care of grampa. He had bad emphysema, and was hooked up to an oxygen tank. They were married for over 40 years, and he just didn't want to go on without her.

I only had a year and a half with him after I left college: he died in 1988. I have never gone back to college. Even though that time was the most challenging of my life (especially getting him to eat!), I don't regret it for one second.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/09/30 01:19:05 (permalink)
Dad.

Jonathan
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/10/02 12:07:43 (permalink)
my dad was born in 1915 and passed away in 1994.. he was the rock in my life although much older than most of my friends dads-- he was 47 when i was born (my mother was 30 and it was his 3rd marriage)... i was borm in '63.. although when he got older and unable to care for himself- i was unable to move back home to take care of him- fortunately he had my mother (step mom actually who just turned 88 this past august and still going strong...)and my two brothers to take care of him.. unfortunately in 94 i also lost my brother (nine days after my dad passed) and in 2003 i lost my other brother so it's just my sister/mom and me now (and our kids of course) .. my mother continues to be the rock in my life. and she's my hero too! she's a 2 time breast cancer SURVIVOR and a very strong person. i want to grow up to be just like her..

at first i thought this thread was a little unusual- seeing the original post-- but after reading through the ones that followed- very interesting stuff! Good idea...

~~~ Jerseygirl~~~
10hands
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/10/02 17:14:54 (permalink)
My dad was born in 1928, and I was born in 1958.
My mom was born in 1931.
Unfortunately dad and I do not get along very well and have spent many many years not speaking after my parents split up when I was about 16. He is alive and well, and living the good life with his wife in Boynton Beach, Fl. He thinks that sending the grand kids b'day presents is sufficient. He really doesn't know the meaning of having a family. Mom and I remain very close and we see each other each and every day.
Copperhedzkettle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: What year was your father born? 2005/10/04 10:16:19 (permalink)

Jonathan,
My heart goes out to you. I will share this experience with you.

When I was about 10 I went with my mother to visit Uncle George (my Dad's eldest brother) in a nursing home. He had worked for Army and Air Force Motion Picture Services for 40 years. A bachelor. He had emphysema (sp). I remember entering the room with me mum, and the smell 'bout knocked me out. She lifted his covers, turned a very strange color of red (fury) and took me and put me in the car. I later learned my Uncle had been in the room unattended for three days.

I'm not sure what I was thinking as I sat there alone. I was small enough to barely see out the window without getting up on my knees in the carseat.

I didn't feel any fear, cos me mum was there, and she could take out Hitler with one swipe if need be (in my mind). I was remembering the best Christmas gifts I ever received were from this man I rarely saw. He lived most of his life in Korea, Okinawa (sp)and places I could only imagine, his gifts were extra special. I kept one of the beautiful dolls for years in its original box.

Even as a child I understood the beautiful gifts had come to an end. In a way I was experiencing my first taste of mortality.As I sat there in the hot car I realized I would see this all my life....ya know, the endings of things.

Mom came out with Uncle George in a wheelchair, put him in the car, booted me out of my bedroom and he lived there til he died 7 years later in a VA hospital.

After cooking dinner for the 10 of us and cleaning up (both my parents worked) I would sit and address his christmas cards every year. They were special to him, he ordered really expensive ones with his name engraved inside. Thats why I remember to this day where he worked. ARMY AND AIR FORCE MOTION PICTURE SERVICES.

You see....I wrote it about 750 times every Christmas.

My mother bathed him and cared for him like he was her own brother. She never complained......I don't know to this day how she endured it.

Only thing I can surmise is some people are equipped to handle this and some are not. You are either born with it or you ain't....so to speak.

I deeply respect you, and wish you the best. It is certainly an interruption in your life, to say the very least. People do what people gotta do, let us know how you fare.

Copper
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/09 23:21:57 (permalink)
My dad was born in 1921, died from Lung cancer in 1984. I miss him every day. I was born in 1964. My mom is still plugging along strong. She tries not to drive at night, but that's about the only concession she's made to her years.
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/09 23:53:23 (permalink)

1918 at
211 Shippen St
Weehawken, New Jersey

Jon, The Pops might have hung out together overseas in the service,
It's possible
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/10 02:22:16 (permalink)
Samuel James Earp was born 1920 in Spotsylvania County, VA.. He died at the young age of 72, in 1993, on Tax day!
We just had gone thru Hurricane Andrew together in August, 1992 before while living in Islamorada, Fla Keys.

I am lucky to be alive, and treasure my life now. Stupid to stay there, but I would not leave my dad to go thru Andrew alone! Little did we know that he wouldnt be here 6 months later.

The last words we spoke to each other was "I love You"..and he drove off to the VA hospital in Miami, where he died a week later!
(totally unexpected!)(what a major shock in my life)

I miss him so much, who the hell brought this subject up anyway?

This has made me so sad, as I just lost my mother, WHO BTW was born in 1917, and died December 2004.
I took care of her for 7 years while the ravages of Alzheimers Disease took it's ugly toll on her.
Jeez.......I am now just getting on with my life......
stevencarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/10 02:42:24 (permalink)
Tara, my Dad (see above your post) I think was the first in the world with Alzheimers in 1978 at 60, (choked on his food 7yrs later) then 20 years later my mom healthy at 76 fell while hiking, hit her head and was knocked out......got dementia and was never the same. Dementia is slower and she is still going (wandering around her "home") and sweet at 84. I feel your pain. Be strong,Have a great life. Steve
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/10 09:37:28 (permalink)
I feel very lucky that both my parents (70 & 69) are not only alive, but extremely active.
My wife and I are planning a large vacation with them to Europe either this summer or next. I know that time is precious and I hope they have many more active years left in them, but they asked if any of us boys (and wives) wanted to take a trip with them, and we leaped at the chance.
My wife's parents are a little younger, so after this big trip with my parents, we're hoping to do the same with her parents. Maybe to the West Coast.
Time doesn't stand still and I'm not waiting until it's too late to say yes when they ask if we'd like to accompany them on a trip.

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/10 10:58:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

Tara, my Dad (see above your post) I think was the first in the world with Alzheimers in 1978 at 60, (choked on his food 7yrs later) then 20 years later my mom healthy at 76 fell while hiking, hit her head and was knocked out......got dementia and was never the same. Dementia is slower and she is still going (wandering around her "home") and sweet at 84. I feel your pain. Be strong,Have a great life. Steve

Thanks so much...
When I reflect back on Mom, of course she is far better off now, than when she had her disease.
She wasn't my mom anymore. I watched her change into someone I didnt know, but she didnt know that, and I took it all with a grain of salt.. (and other things..)
But I stood by her, my brother and I refused to put her in a home. I came home and took care of her until her death. She passed on very peacefully with hospice in the house, BLESS THEM, and is no longer a tortured soul.

I love both my parents very much. They were both older when they had my brother and I. Mom was 37 when I was born, but she lived a great life, was a shrewd businesswoman and a hard worker. She lived her life to the fullest and took advantage of life. She had no regrets.
Her and dad loved us very much.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/10 11:01:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jinjo76

I guess I wanted to find out if anyone on the forum has ever experienced moving back in with elderly parents to take care of them for senile dementia, short term memory loss 24/7, and had at least a 50 year age difference between the parents and children.

Jonathan

Jonathon,
If you are still reading this thread, see my post's and feel free to email me. I went thru 7 years of being a caregiver.
Tara
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: What year was your father born? 2006/03/10 11:01:59 (permalink)
What was the #1 song on the date when your father was born?

https://home.comcast.net/~josh.hosler/NumberOneInHistory/SelectMonth.htm
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1